mid-nineties Monte Carlo concept car

In around 1993 or 1994, Chevrolet had a Monte Carlo concept car. It was rounded looking, and foretold the styling of the Gen 2 Lumina/Monte. I have searched all over the net, and can't find a shred of info. Its driving me nuts. The last time I saw it was 10 years ago. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? :unsure: PS As a bonus, there was a Lumina based El Camino concept around the same time. Anyone know anything?

Grr...wish I had a little more time to do some searching for ya, but I'm heading out of town for a friends' wedding here in a few minutes....

BUT...wanted to let you know I know exactly what you are wanting.... I saw that concept car at the Chicago Auto Show the year it debuted.... I liked the concept, but as you know, wasn't thrilled about the "final product"....

At any rate, I remember seeing information about that concept car on mymonte.com (the 5th gen mc board). Unfortunately, I don't remember _exactly_ where it is on that site, but I do remember seeing it. If you don't find it in the next couple days, I'll either search for it or ask someone about where that info might be stored....

Again, sorry I don't have more time to help you out right now....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

Try '92 Detroit and LA Auto Shows....it was around the same time as the Buick Spectre. It had a glass roof, from what I can remember. Kinda reminded one of the Subaru SVX.

Whoa, I remember the concept. Check out all the details that translated into production... the general shape of the greenhouse, the front and rear end graphics, the side bodyline, even the general shape of the dashboard... it really does look like a wilder '95 Lumi Carlo. Edited by ocnblu

I remember one from the mid90s that was green, had muscular,bumped out
wheelwells sim. to a 70 chevelle ...406cuin w/efi RWD. It almost made green
look ok on a car! Does that ring a bell?

[post="25431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Feb 1996 Hot Rod...
I have it sitting right in front of me.
Built by Jon Moss...and had those horendus 17" Boyd wheels.

How funny, it went from having absolutely no visual obstruction in the concept, to having ginormous c-pillars in production. They looked good from the outside, but I just couldn't stand how they blocked my view on the inside. I, too, am amazed with just how much of the car stayed true to the concept. The general shape and details from virtually all angles, as well as the rocker panels. The door trim and layout looks identical but for the two-tone colors that made production. Aside from not having a 60-40 rear split fold seat, I'd have loved the rear buckets.

I remember one from the mid90s that was green, had muscular,bumped out
wheelwells sim. to a 70 chevelle ...406cuin w/efi RWD. It almost made green
look ok on a car! Does that ring a bell?

[post="25431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah that would be the one Jon Moss concept that was basically made by putting the Monte Carlo body on an F-body chassis. Edited by ShadowDog

Whoa, I remember the concept.  Check out all the details that translated into production... the general shape of the greenhouse, the front and rear end graphics, the side bodyline, even the general shape of the dashboard... it really does look like a wilder '95 Lumi Carlo.

[post="25506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's not saying much. The '95 Monte is a low point in styling.

The greenhouse was decent as was the charactder line down thta side, even though it reminded too much of the Corsica but the fascia, tail lights and profile were bland as whilte Wonderbread toast.

You know that I'm with you on that. As is Knightfan, LordStafford & many others. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i found pics on mymonte.com but no info

[post="25480"][/post]

I don't really like this concept very much. Even though I'm not as big of a fan of the '95-'99s as much as other Montes, I like how the production version turned out much better than this. This looks more like a 2-door Lumina than a Monte Carlo.

i found pics on mymonte.com but no info

Thank you for posting those for Ted! I _knew_ they were over there at mymonte.com, but unfortunately, I didn't have time to dig 'em up before I left for the wedding in central IL.

A couple other quick notes:

The John Moss concept is cool to see in person ... have seen it at several MC Nationals. But, it needs the emblem and the bodylines to be perfect.

Ocnblu ... bite thy tongue about the '95-'99 roughline evoking images of the 1st gens. But, I can't say much ... because the '00-present rear evokes images of the 1st gens moreso...he he he. Irony rocks ;).

And, yes, Sixty8 and ocnblu ... absolutely needs RWD ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

I don't really like this concept very much.  Even though I'm not as big of a fan of the '95-'99s as much as other Montes, I like how the production version turned out much better than this.  This looks more like a 2-door Lumina than a Monte Carlo.

[post="26047"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Monte is a two-door Lumina. Just as the 06 Monte is the two-door 06 Impala. 99-05 is more differentiated IMO.

I managed to get some info about this concept by digging through my old brochure collection:

1992 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Concept
Vechicle Specifications

Engine: 3.4 Dual Overhead Cam Multi Port Fuel Injection V6 (200 HP)
Transmission: Four Wheel Drive 4 speed auto with overdrive
Brakes: 4 wheel disc with anti-lock system
Chassis: production GM-10
Wheels: 18" steel with custom fiberglass wheel covers
Tires: B.F. Goodrich Concept T/A (custom made) P225/55R18 front and rear

Specific Modification

Exterior: Prototype body with two tone paint
Interior: Prototype tan leather interior

Innovative Features

Adjustable pedals
Electronic muffler noise cancellation system (creates a sound frequency that "cancels out" the sound frequencey of the exhaust)
6-way power leather seats

Guest YellowJacket894
Wow, not too shabby. The interior seems to scream 1992 Dodge Intrepid to me, though. Too bad the '95 Carlo's guts didn't turn out as nice as the concept's.

The MC concept makes me think of the Subaru SVX:

Posted Image

[post="27982"][/post]

This post makes me think of what I said way back in post #3

It had a glass roof, from what I can remember. Kinda reminded one of the Subaru SVX.