Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! 2008 Crown Victoria Special Edition

42 posts in this topic

SPY SHOTS! 2008 Crown Victoria Special Edition
Posted Image

DETROIT — I’ve seen so-called “facelifts” for cars, but none in recent memory is so skimpy as Ford’s update on the Crown Victoria for 2008. Call it the Crown Victoria Special Edition—at least that’s what the escutcheon says on the front fender (pictured at right). The ID logo also offers a simple crown image, just in case you missed the message.

We don’t know about the technical details—if there are any—but we think that the three-bar grille insert does wonders for the front-end appearance. Actually, it looks like Ford designers simply drew up a new three-bar insert and popped it into the grille opening of a current model. Also note the bright covering on the center section of the lower fascia: It’s not much, but it adds some much-needed glitz to the front-end. As we’ve said, we’ve seen skimpy facelifts before, but this one could win the prize for least extensive. Least expensive, too? We shall see. —Jim Dunne

Posted Image

That is just so bad... I mean SO pathetic! Why would Ford in their right minds just let this car linger unchanged for SO long, and then even in their right minds think taking a Gilette 3-blade razor and popping it on the front bumper would look good!?

Way too little, much too late.

For added comparison, this is the current Crown Vic...or a 2006...or '05...or '04...

Posted Image

Hmmm... I thought we heard that '08 would be fleet-only for the big Ford sedan. This looks like a retail car. Sure, the update is minor but noticeable. A nice transition to Interceptor/Galaxie.

W T F

I thought the Vicky was all fleet now?

Either PM is pulling a very late April Fools joke, or Ford is milking that platform for every last penny.

Hmmm... I thought we heard that '08 would be fleet-only for the big Ford sedan. This looks like a retail car. Sure, the update is minor but noticeable. A nice transition to Interceptor/Galaxie.

Ford is up to something. You do not see it?? Everyone is looking at that photo making jokes. Ocnblu sees it. I do too.

Ford is preparing that Interceptor concept to become the Galaxie. That was no mistake that car looked the way it did. Look at that Special Edition badge in the spy photos. That is the same one the Galaxie used to wear back in the day. The front end has that family Ford grille. Add to that Ford is taking a page from GM's play book to make new American rear drive off the new Falcon platform. I see right through this. GM did it too. Remember the last years old the old Blazer and Jimmy had "Trailblazer" and "Envoy" and the when the new midsized sport utilities came out and then wham!! I want to see what what happens to Lincoln Town Car and Grand Marquis. The reason I see the Crown Victoria name going away is because of the old person and fleet and police image. But, the dug up an old name to use too. I bet you anything that car will be smaller and roomier too. I bet you too Ford Australia will get a new "LTD" too. Do not be shocked if Ford has Taurus and Sable GM will have some large front drive car(Impala sized) in its stable.

Everyone can joke about Chrysler too. You can thank them for the American return to rear drive and "some" style. Detroit finally is starting to build what they know instead of all the Japanese/Camry/ Accord wanna bes they have been trying to pawn off on us for years. They never got it right. The only one that came close and it failed too was Intrigue.

And while I am at it, if the H and and C Bodies and W Bodies had been rear drive with better quality and materials and interiors, it would have been a different story with cars like Aurora and Bonneville GXP.

In a away we have Toyota and Honda to thank for waking up the industry too. As much as we do not like them, they have "pushed" Detroit to do better and do what they do. It does not take a "fleet" or line up of front wheel drive cars to beat off the Asian competition.

Maybe one day we will see magazines : "The Renaissance of Detroit"

Thats not even half-assed, half-assed would have included a new hood to better integrate the grille. Thats like quarter-assed, but I guess this means the Vicky soldiers on, wonder if they're going to return to retail sales. It would make sense to start selling the Vic to the public and drop the Grand Marquis from the Mercury lineup.

Edit: I do kinda like those wheels.

Edited by Satty

Wow...it's been 10 years since the last restyle that was more than a grille change..

They sell more Grand Marquis than they do Crown Victorias. I was shocked when I found that out. Most of Crown Vics are fleet. Grand Marquis even though they sell more, sells mainly to the public. That is why Ford was thinking about making Crown Vic fleet only and selling Grand Marquis to the public.

Even in Canada where Mercury does not exist, they sell Grand Marquis there:

http://www.ford.ca/main/default.asp?langua...l=Grand+Marquis

I think it's great, like when Grandpa gets a new set of dentures for his 75th birthday.

Wow...it's been 10 years since the last restyle that was more than a grille change..

The thing is..

1. GM is guilty of this too.

2. At least they have rear drive and never dropped it unlike GM did.

They sell more Grand Marquis than they do Crown Victorias. I was shocked when I found that out. Most of Crown Vics are fleet. Grand Marquis even though they sell more, sells mainly to the public. That is why Ford was thinking about making Crown Vic fleet only and selling Grand Marquis to the public.

Even in Canada where Mercury does not exist, they sell Grand Marquis there:

http://www.ford.ca/main/default.asp?langua...l=Grand+Marquis

Speaking of fleeted CVs, I was really surprised at how many Hertz has in Hawaii...tens of them at the Honolulu airport, all w/ sunroofs (something I've never seen in a CV around here). Hertz also has plenty of Grand Marquis... my last few trips, I've been alternating between renting Grand Marquis and Town Cars..

(I'm now hooked on Panthers and will probably get one in the next year or two).

Speaking of fleeted CVs, I was really surprised at how many Hertz has in Hawaii...tens of them at the Honolulu airport, all w/ sunroofs (something I've never seen in a CV around here). Hertz also has plenty of Grand Marquis... my last few trips, I've been alternating between renting Grand Marquis and Town Cars..

Shhhhhhhhh!!! Do not tell anyone I am a "closeted" fan of the Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis because The Town Car is sort of close to my Ninety Eight in terms of the type of luxury and features and more.

**** I think I just outed myself.... :censored:

:lol:

Shhhhhhhhh!!! Do not tell anyone I am a "closeted" fan of the Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis because The Town Car is sort of close to my Ninety Eight in terms of the type of luxury and features and more.

**** I think I just outed myself.... :censored:

:lol:

I've been more of a BMW-style sports sedan fan for the last decade and always poo-pooed bench seats and a cushy ride..maybe it's because I'm pushing 40 or my commute has gotten heavier, but I've fallen in love with the classic American RWD V8 land yachts...

They still haven't been beaten for comfort.

My grandpa had a dealer-installed aftermarket sunroof put on his '05 Grand Marquis. It's odd because I never see sunroofs on those cars either.

I love the Panthers even if they're showing age...I've been riding in them since I was a born ('86 LTD, '88 Grand Marquis, '89 Grand Marquis, '00 Crown Vic, '05 Grand Marquis)

They still haven't been beaten for comfort.

This is true.. I wish there were more of them and that were styled right.

And while I am at it, if the H and and C Bodies and W Bodies had been rear drive with better quality and materials and interiors, it would have been a different story with cars like Aurora and Bonneville GXP.

Uhh...G-bodies are some of the highest-quality passenger cars GM has ever made. Oshawa-built W-bodies are similarly rock-solid. The only one of these cars that had a real interior problem was the Bonneville and that's just a matter of personal taste.

Why not crack jokes at these things? Forget the exterior, the interiors haven't changed in over a decade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yet after all these years, its horrifically cheap inside for the asking retail price. The latest '07 I've been in had GRAND MARQUIS screened onto the dash plood so badly it could be literally peeled away. Then, Ford did the great disservice of shoving in the cheapest radio unit with a set of ugly round gauges and the worst-looking digital readout I've seen outside of a 9C3 Lumina.

To top it off, the latest Mercury and Lincoln restyles are hillarious. Grand Marquis' grille meshes horribly with the old lines of the front fascia and the Town Car doesn't flow at all. Lincoln, IMO, had a very progressive followthrough to the incredibly stately '90 model with the 1998 restyle. However, they listened to the old-timer jokers who bitched about hood ornaments and too many curves and tried to bevel out a rounded design and ended up with a chromed-up oddity. Inside, the new center controls similarly don't fit. I blame Ford again for shoving in the worst radio head unit in history and forcing the ovoid dash to conform to the blocky lines. Again, as one who liked the Town Car, I find the '03+ rather very disappointing. I'd much rather have a '97 or an '02.

As far as equipment goes, the Town Car can become well-equipped, but pricey as hell for what you're getting. Signature buyers must get an impending sensation behind them knowing they're paying $50,000 for something Ford completely amortized at least a decade ago. Those are great used values.

But avoid the rear air suspension. After decades, Ford can simply not get these things to work properly.

Uhh...G-bodies are some of the highest-quality passenger cars GM has ever made. Oshawa-built W-bodies are similarly rock-solid. The only one of these cars that had a real interior problem was the Bonneville and that's just a matter of personal taste.

Why not crack jokes at these things? Forget the exterior, the interiors haven't changed in over a decade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yet after all these years, its horrifically cheap inside for the asking retail price. The latest '07 I've been in had GRAND MARQUIS screened onto the dash plood so badly it could be literally peeled away. Then, Ford did the great disservice of shoving in the cheapest radio unit with a set of ugly round gauges and the worst-looking digital readout I've seen outside of a 9C3 Lumina.

To top it off, the latest Mercury and Lincoln restyles are hillarious. Grand Marquis' grille meshes horribly with the old lines of the front fascia and the Town Car doesn't flow at all. Lincoln, IMO, had a very progressive followthrough to the incredibly stately '90 model with the 1998 restyle. However, they listened to the old-timer jokers who bitched about hood ornaments and too many curves and tried to bevel out a rounded design and ended up with a chromed-up oddity. Inside, the new center controls similarly don't fit. I blame Ford again for shoving in the worst radio head unit in history and forcing the ovoid dash to conform to the blocky lines.

As far as equipment goes, the Town Car can become well-equipped, but pricey as hell for what you're getting. Signature buyers must get an impending sensation behind them knowing they're paying $50,000 for something Ford completely amortized at least a decade ago. Those are great used values. But avoid to rear air suspension. After decades, Ford can simply not get these things to work properly. Amazing.

Your point is taken, but I am saying if the G and H Bodies were rear drive it would have been a different story. You know this is true. I know what I wrote, and it did not sound right after reading it.

You know as well as I do the first few years of the W Bodies in 1988-1990 were not great in terms of interior plastics and parts and engine power too and quality. I will not forget it. 2.8 liter V6 rated at 130 hp . It was not until later it was where it was top notch as you said.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Um...is it bad that I think `92 interior looks far better than the "newer" one? They tried to slap curves onto a flat surface, but rather than making a flowing design, they just rounded off the straight edges with ugly plastic. The old one is simple, understated, and the controls look more like someone actually took a little time to place them..not just throw them on. Also the older steering wheel looks better than that 2-spoke POS.

Way to 1/8th-ass a "refresh" Ford...

Edited by Dodgefan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead