Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac offering clear taillamps on 2008 CTS?

22 posts in this topic

Posted Jul 27th 2007 4:31PM by Siddharth Raja

We thought we knew almost everything there was to know about the new 2008 Cadillac CTS, but as these latest spy pics reveal GM still has a few tricks up its sleeve for the upcoming sedan. First up, these fresh-off-the-line production cars feature clear taillights for the first time. Look a little closer and you'll also notice the new 'CTS4' badges denoting that these are the new AWD variants.

According to the guys who photographed the cars, a second little badge was attached just above the CTS label that said 'Direct-Injection', meaning these new AWD versions were equipped with GM's new all-aluminum 3.6L V6 engine. With the direct-injection feature on board, the new V6 will develop up to 300hp.

Full production of the '08 CTS is expected to start by the end of summer with the first cars hitting showrooms by the fourth quarter.

The new taillamps certainly look striking in the picture, but we'll have to wait till we see them in real life to pass our judgement.

source and photo:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/27/cadilla...ps-on-2008-cts/

Probably the export version I would think?

Probably the export version I would think?

With a US license bracket?

They need to lose the DI 3.6 badge. Its not 1990, GM. You don't have to tell everyone about every little electronic gizmo in your cars.

I hate clear taillights.

I really hope they don't get clear taillamps... Cadillacs should always have red ones.

Looks like a photoshop to me... everything except the CHMSL is gray.

I think the clear lenses diminish the awkward design of the CTSs tail lights.

I'm liking them, didn't always.

I think clear lenses look better on certain colors.

White or silver perhaps.

It's the fashion of the day.

Why not?

They need to lose the DI 3.6 badge. Its not 1990, GM. You don't have to tell everyone about every little electronic gizmo in your cars.

You mean like BMW still telling people their cars are fuel injected : "328i" (C'mon BMW, it's not 1980!)

That's a Euro-spec car: it has rear fog lights in the rear bumper between the exhausts. IMO it looks like $h!.

EDIT:

The reason I think it looks bad is because I think the colour red is as important as a Cadillac styling element as the fact that the tail lights are vertical. I think that a brand should never compromise critical styling elements when adapting a car to other regulations. If the BLS can have amber turn signals while using a red cover, why can't the CTS and other models? If you start messing with 'signature' styling features, where does that leave the Cadillac 'family looks'?

Besides the fact that I think it's ugly (which I realise is purely a matter of personal taste), it just seems like an inconsistent approach to the brand's unique styling elements. The VW Phaeton complies with Euro regs and I don't see a hint of the colour amber in those tailights.

Edited by ZL-1

They look worse in person, I'm not a fan of them either. We have a few around here with them on them and I like the traditional red tailights much better.

To appease everyone, Cadillac will now put one red tail light on and one clear one. Isn't compromise great? :smilewide:

To appease everyone, Cadillac will now put one red tail light on and one clear one. Isn't compromise great? :smilewide:

Can we get purple side markers? :smilewide: Edited by ZL-1

Looks like it has rear fog lights under the rear reflectors. It still has a lot of red in the back.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a clear photoshop? Someone please show me a part of the picture that is not grayscale other than the CHMSL. Wouldn't the reflections in the paint have some sort of color? And the mirror, and the part of the picture that is not the car?

I think it's a export model with those black-ish tails that has been photoshopped.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a clear photoshop? Someone please show me a part of the picture that is not grayscale other than the CHMSL. Wouldn't the reflections in the paint have some sort of color? And the mirror, and the part of the picture that is not the car?

I think it's a export model with those black-ish tails that has been photoshopped.

I can see blues and yellows in the paint on the silver car (reflections on the sides), and taking it into photoshop there is a slight blue tint to the taillights. The car's paint also has a slight hint of light blue, so I doubt there's any photoshopping going on.

How about VW with their VR6 or 1.8T or Nissan with their V8 on the Titan

or for that matter Toyota with the V6 on the 4Runner...????

I thought the two engine choices were 3.6 and DI 3.6. If that's the case, this badging is necessary.

I've seen many, many, many CTS on and off the line and have not seen one with clear taillights. I think I may have seen a few with Euro taillights (the clear black ones like the SRX and STS), though I may be mistaken. However, I have not seen one with clear taillights like pictured, and that's in and around the production plant.

I thought the two engine choices were 3.6 and DI 3.6. If that's the case, this badging is necessary.

Yesh. They note the 3.6 DI, but not the 3.6. Also, they have CTS on the right side next to the taillight. CTS4 is denoted for the AWD versions. Edited by NOS2006

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0