Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

No more barges in Caddy car fleet( STS, DTS , SRX DEAD)

22 posts in this topic

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - July 30, 2007

DETROIT -- Cadillac is getting ready to kill its luxo-barge image once and for all.

General Motors has delayed plans to re-engineer the SRX, a mid-sized crossover that competes with the Lexus RX and BMW X5.

In 2009, the automaker likely will replace it with the BRX, a smaller five-passenger crossover. Insiders say the BRX likely will be built on a new platform and have a V-6 engine.

SRX sales have been disappointing. Through June, sales totaled 11,597 units, down 1 percent.

Cadillac will take additional steps to enhance its image as a producer of sporty luxury cars:

The CTS sedan will expand into a family with the addition of a wagon and coupe. These vehicles will compete with BMW's popular 3 series, the benchmark for sporty luxury cars.

The slow-selling STS sedan will be killed, as will the venerable DTS sedan, once known as the Deville. Cadillac will replace them with a high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan aimed at the segment dominated by the BMW 5 series.

A new small entry-level sedan will expand the brand's range.

This might create some corporate controversy; Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor has argued that he doesn't need a smaller car.

General Motors has delayed plans to re-engineer the SRX, a mid-sized crossover that competes with the Lexus RX and BMW X5.

In 2009, the automaker likely will replace it with the BRX, a smaller five-passenger crossover. Insiders say the BRX likely will be built on a new platform and have a V-6 engine.

Too bad... I see something along the lines of the SRX replacing the Escalade over time. Maybe something more SUV-like and less wagon-like instyling, but not BOF truck derived.

The CTS sedan will expand into a family with the addition of a wagon and coupe. These vehicles will compete with BMW's popular 3 series, the benchmark for sporty luxury cars.

In the US it might, but it won't compete agains the 3-series in overseas markets and I believe that's where Cadillac wants to expand its presence the most.

The slow-selling STS sedan will be killed, as will the venerable DTS sedan, once known as the Deville. Cadillac will replace them with a high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan aimed at the segment dominated by the BMW 5 series.

Cool! As with the CTS, I think this car will aim to compete with the S-Class/7-Series instead of the 5-Series, although at a cheaper price. This actually opens an interesting possibility for Cadillac: offer the same tech/quality content as the Germans at a lower price point, as a means of attracting consumers and eventually generate enough buzz to move Cadillac in line with the German's pricing (frees up some space for Buick and Pontiac).

A new small entry-level sedan will expand the brand's range.

This might create some corporate controversy; Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor has argued that he doesn't need a smaller car.

They need the car and it has to be RWD/AWD. This will be their 3-series fighter, at least outside of NA.

I find this hard to believe...where are the black-car sales and traditional clientele going to go with the death of the DTS?

If Caddy is contemplating this strategy, does it mean another hit to volume?

I guess they anticipate a BRX and BTS to pick up the volume lost on the big-car end.

I find this hard to believe...where are the black-car sales and traditional clientele going to go with the death of the DTS?

WOW! That sounds racist! :AH-HA_wink:

I guess they're surrendering to the Town Car... and also opening up that market to the Chrysler 300 Extended Wheelbase. :unsure:

Isn't it funny how the Seville started as Caddy's small car during it's 80's revolution then grew to midsize in the STS? Now CTS started as Caddy's small car during the Art&Science revolution and is growing to midsize, near fullsize? Cadillac really has a growing problem.

I like the idea of Chevy being volume and trucks, Buick being all out luxury, Caddy being sport luxury and Pontiac being sport. That's a nice continuum but a real "f*** you" to Saab and GMC.

And they must keep SRX. Just A&S2.0 the front and keep it nice and large while keeping BRX small. Don't do the CTS wagon. Let the BTS be a full range instead.

Isn't it funny how the Seville started as Caddy's small car during it's 80's revolution then grew to midsize in the STS? Now CTS started as Caddy's small car during the Art&Science revolution and is growing to midsize, near fullsize? Cadillac really has a growing problem.

I like the idea of Chevy being volume and trucks, Buick being all out luxury, Caddy being sport luxury and Pontiac being sport. That's a nice continuum but a real "f*** you" to Saab and GMC.

And they must keep SRX. Just A&S2.0 the front and keep it nice and large while keeping BRX small. Don't do the CTS wagon. Let the BTS be a full range instead.

The Seville was never small, just *smaller*. When it debuted in 1976, the Eldos, Devilles and Fleetwoods of the day were simply over the top huge (and would never reach that size again). My mother had a '79 Seville and compared to the modern day STS, the two vehicles aren't that much different in overall size....I think the current vehicle does have a longer wheelbase and much shorter overhangs.

As far as the automotivenews article, some of it makes sense, but there's one big problem in the rumor article. I've heard before that the DTS and STS might get killed and be replaced by a new flagship. That was always one of the options I thought GM managers had since the new CTS pretty much elminates much of the need of the current STS. The DTS is still "old thinking" Cadillac and is there strictly for traditional customers plus the livery/funeral business. You could either keep the DTS or transition their customers into the CTS or other vehicles over time (some customers have been doing that anyway).

What doesn't make sense is replacing the STS/DTS with a "5 series vehicle". I don't know what automotivenews is smoking, but that makes no sense. The new CTS is the 5 series competitive car, especially with a smaller BLS/BTS sedan for North America in the pipeline. Why would you crowd your own market segment with another vehicle in this space and repeat the problem you have now? And I'm sure that the new next-gen Northstar V8 will find a home in the CTS once the STS is dead. By 2010, we should see the following CTS technologies:

1. CTS Sedan

2. CTS Coupe

3. CTS Wagon perhaps

4. Diesel option

5. Hybrid V6 option

6. V8 option

7. V-series

One problem Caddy will have is that the upcoming BLS/BTS will be too close in price to the existing CTS. The easy solution to this is to eliminate the entry level trim option for the CTS, leaving it with two levels (not including the V). That will put the CTS being delivered squarly in the $38K-$58K range where the BLS/BTS can live in the $31K-$42K range (with a V series costing more).

A future flagship vehicle (we'll call it "FTS" for lack of a better name) needs to give Caddy a world class large sedan in the $60K-$100K range they lack now. Without it, they won't have a complete product line. I would leave the livery business to a future large Buick. And if they play their cards right, you can design a commercial chassis version of the FTS for the funeral business that won't cost those customers an arm and a leg before going to the custom coach builders (who just tear the car apart anyway).

I do think the SRX may get whacked, which is unfortunate. As an SRX owners, my wife and I have had generally high praise for our 2005 model. The vehicle is consistently well reviewed and arguably the one class leading vehicle in the Caddy stable. But sales have been slow for a few reasons. First, the launch of the vehicle was flubbed by poorly forecasting the desired engine for most buyers (too many V8s produced initially). Second, the interior was lifted lock stock and barrel from the CTS....not a good move for a vehicle too close to the STS in price and with an "S" beginning its name, you expected better. That has now been addressed for 2007, but its too late for a lot of buyers. Finally, there is no hybrid and the current vehicle's gas mileage is pretty lousy, especially for the V6. A BRX would be nice, but a 5 passenger vehicle crossover is too small for my family, and my wife isn't into the big 'Slades (although the upcoming hybrid may change her mind).

Edited by Sevenfeet

I guess they're surrendering to the Town Car... and also opening up that market to the Chrysler 300 Extended Wheelbase. :unsure:

I don't think anyone's surrendering: NG Lucerne / Park Avenue will take care of that kind of costumer.

Is this fact or speculation. The DTS was the sales leader in 2006 killing the best selling model, (prolly will slip to second once the CTS comes out) makes NO SENSE. I want some RWD but killing the popular and nice looking DTS makes no sense. What are they thinking, this is prolly some guy bull-$h!ting. I hope the don't kill the DTS. Maybe update the FWD platform and give it a 6spd. automatic that would do it.

Also getting rid of the SRX is stupid. I bet this guy is talking out of his ass. The SRX and BRX will prolly each be sold. They each appeal to different types of customers. The new STS is rather nice they should also give it a chance and NOT be so damn quick to kill. Alas this $h!-head author must not have a brain. If anything can go it is the XLR! The FWD DTS makes alot of sense to traditional buyers and as coaches etc. Those... :censored:

Edited by gm4life

Is this fact or speculation. The DTS was the sales leader in 2006 killing the best selling model, (prolly will slip to second once the CTS comes out) makes NO SENSE. I want some RWD but killing the popular and nice looking DTS makes no sense. What are they thinking, this is prolly some guy bull-$h!ting. I hope the don't kill the DTS. Maybe update the FWD platform and give it a 6spd. automatic that would do it.

The DTS/STS bit is fact. They are being combined into one car with a new name.

The SRX a 'barge' ? WTF?!

It's a shame that SRX sales suck. Proof that people don't know a good thing when they see it.

Edited by Captainbooyah

The STS/DTS will become one model, likely on Zeta. However, 2012 MY seems like a good bet, and that's a long ways away.

What, is GM sewering me or something... first I can't buy a new Oldsmobile and now my favourite type of Cadillac? :P:(.

(DTS)

It's a shame that SRX sales suck. Proof that people don't know a good thing when they see it.

Yeah, their real barge (the obese Escalade) outsells it..

The styling killed it. It needs to be styled more like an SUV, less like a tall wagon.

I think what killed the SRX was the Escalade. It had the "cool" image already, was bigger, not much more expensive, and again, was "cool" when the SRX came out. Why buy an SRX when for a few grand more you can get an ES-ka-LADE?

With the BRX being considerably smaller, the target audience will be less similar. Right now, the SRX and Escalade are both 7-passenger vehicles (although the SRX is 5-pass standard) and are really both targeting the same clientèle, but most of that clientèle wants to be seen and noticed, so they go with the Escalade. The ones that don't want such huge exposure go with the SRX, but there are less of them. And, the ones just looking for a midsize X-Over deem the SRX "too big" and go with an RX, X5, MDX, or ML. The BRX will be more of an RX competitor, which will be good. A very small percentage of BRX shoppers will end up driving away in an Escalade because of both price and size, which I feel is not the case with the SRX.

(Notice that the opposite of the SRX vs. Escalade dilemma has seemed to happen at GMC with the Acadia and Yukon).

The STS/DTS will become one model, likely on Zeta. However, 2012 MY seems like a good bet, and that's a long ways away.

That's a good call.

The BRX isn't really a replacement for the SRX, since the starting pricepoint should be in the low to mid 30s. However, it should do a better job of appealing to their target customer I think. The CTS wagon is sort of a replacement, but no one buys wagons here really.

What, is GM sewering me or something... first I can't buy a new Oldsmobile and now my favourite type of Cadillac? :P:(.

(DTS)

I feel you on that.. Things have to change in order to survive. GM is having to be competitive on all fronts. It means changing the way you do business.

That leaves only one full sized luxury car in the GM stable. One every day full sized car( Impala)

I could easily say since GM has no mid sized coupes( Monte Carlo is dead) , bring Oldsmobile back, give that to them, and give them the second full sized luxury sedan below the "Cadillac like" Buick. Add a full sized sport/luxury wagon to that mix. I know this will not happen, but I can say it..

Well killing the DTS is stupid. Come out with another car that will compete on price and options that is RWD. See how it does. In the mean time revamp the DTS and give a freaking 6spd. automatic already!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room