Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1981 Pontiac Parisienne video

5 posts in this topic

Before you look at the video and say "that's A Bonneville!

Please read this history:

The Pontiac Parisienne was a full-size rear-wheel drive vehicle that was sold by Pontiac on the GM B platform in Canada from 1958 to 1986 and in the US from 1983 to 1986. The Parisienne wagon continued under the Safari nameplate until 1989.

For most of its life, the Parisienne was a Canadian nameplate, sold in Pontiac's Canadian showrooms, while American Pontiac dealers sold the Catalina, Ventura, Star Chief and Bonneville. In 1982, the Bonneville was downsized on the G-body while Pontiac's version of the B-body was dropped.

In early 1983, to gain back Pontiac customers who longed for a large rear wheel drive car, the Parisienne was imported from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada (where the full-size model had not been dropped) and sold in the United States. Externally, it was a rebadged Chevrolet Impala (1983-84 models had the Impala rear taillight panel fitted with Pontiac-spec taillight lenses, whereas the nose was borrowed from the Chevrolet Caprice fitted with a Pontiac grille). The 1985 to 1986 models resumed use of the rear-end styling from the 1980 to 1981 Bonneville.

Two Parisienne ranges were sold - a base model (similar to the former Catalina and the then-current Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale) in four-door sedan and Safari station wagon form, and a more-luxurious Brougham four-door sedan (with velour upholstery that featured loose-pillow fitted seats). No two-door models were offered for the United States market, although a coupe version was available in Canada through 1983.

The Pontiac Parisienne was a success, especially with customers who wanted a nicely appointed car at a reasonable price. The Parisienne still sold well when GM decided to drop the line after the 1986 model year. A front wheel drive model with the Bonneville name replaced the Parisienne; however, the wagon model (known just as "Safari") continued until 1989.

Beautiful land-yacht from a by-gone era :thumbsup:

Back in the mid eighies, my best friend's dad had one, used to get a lot of rides in it, loved it! Especially compared to my dad's Gutless Ciera.

My Bonneville is the same thing. Just the U.S version of it. I wonder why the different names between the U.S and Canada?

I wonder why (I have my theories) the Pontiac dealers up here have such clout. Pontiac and GMC is much stronger, sales-wise, in Canada than in the U.S. The Sierra outsells the Silverado, the SV6 still exists. Pontiac being fed whatever it demands has led to some serious erosion of Chevrolet's numbers in Canada, especially in the Toronto area.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0