Tundra Outselling Sierra 1500?

According to this article, the Tundra is estimated to be outselling the GMT900 Sierra 1500. If this holds it's further proof that GM needs to rationalize its BPG and Chevy lines before Toyota starts outselling Chevy. It's bad enough for Toyota to outsell GMC. Just think how painful it'll be when Chevy gets overtaken. Don't think it won't happen!

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyot...pastsierra.html

With $7000 on the hood (even the $3500-4000 we know about) they SHOULD outsell the GMC...what do they expect? Again...another piece that sounds like it loves Toyota beating one of the big three. Way to support America!

The point is that Toyota is serious about being a player in this market and is succeeding despite what seemed like an early failure (low sales and a major recall). Meanwhile, if the past 30 years is any indication, GM will fight fire by continuing to stay the course. Wasting valuable engineering and marketing dollars by keeping the GMC name going is not thinking big. Instead, it's the big sit-n-spin. And it's a recipe for Toyota to take bragging rights away from Chevrolet and Silverado eventually. If it hasn't already happened, it's about to happen with Toyota vs Chevy cars.

>>"The point is that Toyota is serious about being a player in this market and is succeeding despite what seemed like an early failure (low sales and a major recall). Meanwhile, if the past 30 years is any indication, GM will fight fire by continuing to stay the course. Wasting valuable engineering and marketing dollars by keeping the GMC name going is not thinking big. Instead, it's the big sit-n-spin. And it's a recipe for Toyota to take bragging rights away from Chevrolet and Silverado eventually. If it hasn't already happened, it's about to happen with Toyota vs Chevy cars. "<<

1) : who cares who's #1? I've not yet met anyone who purchased major consumer goods (like cars) with this as their criteria. This sort of thing has only a shadow of the marketing importance it used to.

2) : GM has not "stayed the course" WRT the trucks for any 30-year period- so that's not legitimate.

3) : where did you see a dollar figure for what it costs to engineer & market GMC, and what was it? You did know that GMC posted a run of like 10 sales record years out of the last 12 or so- every one profitable from what I've heard. This point has been settled on these boards long ago: GMC sells in the neighborhood of 500,000- more expensive that Chevy, obviously to consumers who DO NOT WANT a Chevy truck. To dump this wildly successful division would be idiotic. You are assuming all buyers would switch to Chevy, but you don't risk millions & millions by chancing it; GM does. Not to mention the mountain of bad press & image damage from canceling yet another division. You sure you thought this thru for more than a half-second?

4) : I say let toyota continue to have large leaps in production- we've all seen what that's done for their vehicle's quality & reliability over the last year plus. Maybe the only way to derail toyota is if they implode.

5) : toyota has only just gotten anything close to what you could call "serious" after a 15-year run of a 'big sit-n-spin' in the truck segment.

Edited by balthazar

I happen to like owning a GMC Sierra...I don't want a Chevy Silverado. I like that everybody and their brother isn't driving a Sierra. In a fragmented North American vehicle market, consumers like choices. Continued differentiation between Chevy and GMC can only help sales.

I personally have been waiting on buying a new Sierra and many of my reasons are due to the way GM rolled out the new trucks. I looked in the fall and test drove a new Sierra Crew Cab when they came out. I liked it. But I want an extended cab...those didn't hit dealer lots in my area until March. Then, the dealers order Z71s for the most part -- I want Z85. I'm thinking I'd probably also like the MAX package -- again, rarely stocked by dealers. SO, I'll likely have to custom order -- which is fine -- but shoots the reliability of any rebates for the most part. Then add that I'd really like the 6 speed auto instead of the 4 speed and I'm SOL for a 1500. So, based on launch decisions around model mix, etc they won't be getting my money for a while. My personal observations for my own area show that more new bodystyle Chevy and GMCs started to appear when the X-Cabs became available. The past month when the incentives started also seem to have spurred sales a bit.

As for the Tundra, I'm curious to test drive one. But I hate the "baby crew cab" configuration, the huge peices of metal under the seat in the back of the cab are deal breakers as are the huge bed bolts that stick up from the floor.

Funny how if they can't say "We beat Chevy" they just spindoctor it into "We beat GMC"

well so does Ford, Dodge & quite possibly Nissan.

you ought to re-check your definition of what a recall actually is.

Yeah.

Here, let me help out.

The four star safety rating did not result in a recall.

Five lug nuts should be good enough for anyone.

The exposed bolts in the bed help things slide out easier.

Who needs rear doors that swing open 170 degrees?

Wide swaths of hard silver plastic are durable.

You're too short if you can't reach the radio controls five feet away.

The camshafts blowing chunks has been blown all out of proportion.

The larger panel gaps are there by design, to make it look tougher.

Having a more flexible frame provides agility.

The deals are bigBigBIG!

$199 lease deals are available.

Check your local Toyota dealer.

See? Everything you were thinking under your breath but were too afraid to bring forward.

Now you never need post here again! Problem solved.

No thanks needed.

Yeah.

Here, let me help out.

The four star safety rating did not result in a recall.

Five lug nuts should be good enough for anyone.

The exposed bolts in the bed help things slide out easier.

Who needs rear doors that swing open 170 degrees?

Wide swaths of hard silver plastic are durable.

You're too short if you can't reach the radio controls five feet away.

The camshafts blowing chunks has been blown all out of proportion.

The larger panel gaps are there by design, to make it look tougher.

Having a more flexible frame provides agility.

The deals are bigBigBIG!

$199 lease deals are available.

Check your local Toyota dealer.

See? Everything you were thinking under your breath but were too afraid to bring forward.

Now you never need post here again! Problem solved.

No thanks needed.

Oh no, you've outed them! :smilewide:

Funny how if they can't say "We beat Chevy" they just spindoctor it into "We beat GMC"

well so does Ford, Dodge & quite possibly Nissan.

Which is still somewhat surprising to me (but I guess it shouldn't be just due to the exposure Chevy has over GMC), because I find the Sierra to be a much more attractive vehicle than the new Silverado (in my opinion anyway...front end is still growing on me on the Silverado.)

But that's a separate issue, that;s just the way it is.

GMC has always lived in the shaddow of Chevrolet.

GMC is a nicer, more heavily optioned truck with (often times) nicer styling.

Killing GMC would be an absolutely stupid idea. Lutz once stated that the average Denali buyer has a higher income than the average Escalade buyer. GMC costs practically nothing in development (chevy + features & mild restyle) and commands a premium CONSISTENTLY and ABUNDANTLY. Getting rid of that would be absolutely stupid.

The first ever drop of the Detroit Three's combined share of the U.S. vehicle market below 50% may not have been the only history made in July. It appears Toyota has breached the domestic automaker's exclusive hold on half-ton full size pickup sales by outselling General Motor's GMC Sierra year-to-date.
Wow... Didn't even wait one paragraph to take a &#036;h&#33; on Detroit and 'hail the new king' (slurp, slurp)
I'm estimating that the 2007 Toyota Tundra half-ton has become the first full size truck from a foreign brand to overtake a domestic full size brand in an 'apples-to-apples' sales comparison against the Sierra 1500.

And I'm INFORMING YOU that when you "estimate" it is neither fact nor news but rather GOSSIP

Of course production data is different than sales data, but with two years of production data to review it's likely that the Sierra's reported sales mix is very close in composition to its production splits. So, assuming that 2/3 of Sierra sales in 2007 are light duty pickups, this would give a sales figure of approximately 76,700 1500-class trucks year-to-date (115,185*66.6%).

Wow... Some completely made up bull&#036;h&#33; equation that *possibly* *predicts* *maybe* *based on* yadda yadda.... Jesus, we're wasting our time reading this?!?!?!!
Toyota doesn't manufacture a heavy duty Tundra (yet).

Ooohhhh... Look out Detroit!

Apples-to-apples, light duty to light duty, it certainly seems that Toyota has accomplished something that no other foreign truck manufacturer has done before, moving up to take the number four spot in half-ton truck sales, behind Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge, by outselling the GMC Sierra 1500 97,290 to approximately 76,700 (give or take a few percent).
I'm sorry, and usually facts aren't "Give or take"..... And yes, yes, praise almighty Toyota for digging GMs grave a little deeper... And whoop-te-do and all that for beating 76,000 sales... Call me when Toyota outsells the Silverado or F-150, then it might be news worthy.
In total sales of light and heavy duty trucks, GMC still hangs onto the #4 spot, but it also looks like Toyota will overtake GMC in total full size sales by October at the latest if sales trends for both brands continue on their current paths.

A historic feat indeed.

Wow.. I bet you'll really be beating off over the Turdra by then.

Seriously. This article is not even worth reading, it's just a bunch of estimated hogwash. Something akin to whta we here at the forum would be shot down for in our first post. GMC has never been the volume seller of trucks at GM and given that 1) they are a premium brand and 2) the truck has received hardly any marketing (That is worth of crap) it is to be expected...

P.S. And I agree that it is the better looking of the two GMT900 trucks.

i finally saw a turd driving around here today. i had to do a double take because i thought, how did a turd get let loose on the roads?

i wish i would have knew ahead of time about the bridge collapse. i would have gone back to the future and ushed everyone off the bridge and replaced them with a few hundred empty tundras.

• 2 weeks later...

This means nothing to me. First year sales of a product can be higher because the public tends to like what is newest on the market, and perceived the best. Sales will fall off with each continuous year as the public loses interest.

This means nothing to me. First year sales of a product can be higher because the public tends to like what is newest on the market, and perceived the best. Sales will fall off with each continuous year as the public loses interest.

Perfect example: Nissan Titan

Perfect example: Nissan Titan

Damn straight. What happened to that "huge blow against the domestics", anyway? I still see them around, but not nearly in the numbers I would have expected based on the hype of a few years ago.

Toyota's gotten better at the full-size pickup thing - for instance, they now offer a full LINE of engines rather than the same old V6 and an underpowered V8. And we all remember the T100, right? Oh, wait, no we don't.

I have absolutely no need for one at the moment, but if I were in the market, my short list in big half-ton pickups would run as follows:

1 ) GMC Sierra 1500 (best-looking and best-engineered big truck on the market)

2 ) Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (okay, at least the best-engineered)

3 ) Dodge Ram 1500 (still a desirable piece, though it's due to be replaced soon)

4 ) Ford F150 (good-looking and tough, but lacking in raw power)

5 ) Toyota Tundra (best of the imports, though that's not saying much - besides, it's not very attractive)

6 ) Nissan Titan (meh - it looks okay and pulls hard, but it has weird details)

7 ) Lincoln Mark LT (why does this exist, anyway?)

8 ) Chevrolet Avalanche (if I'm buying a truck, why do I need it to be an SUV too?)

9 ) Cadillac Escalade EXT (same question as the Avalanche, but add $20k and stir until nauseous)

Edited by Duncan

The important thing to me-around here guys on construction sites and farms still laugh their ass off at the Tundra.

Chris

Not sure where you live, but I see Toyota trucks all the time, all over the place, construction sites are full of them lately.

I hope it's not a "laugh Sunday, buy on Monday" scenario....

:wink:

Not sure where you live, but I see Toyota trucks all the time, all over the place, construction sites are full of them lately.

I hope it's not a "laugh Sunday, buy on Monday" scenario....

:wink:

I went to Home Depot the other night and saw several new Tundras, incl. one set up commercial style with a ladder rack. Saw a base model regular cab w/ black bumpers and steel wheels--wow, they look homely.

I have yet to see a new Silverado or Sierra in work truck trim (black bumpers, etc)..the ones I've seen are all chromey...they do make a work truck version of them, I assume?

I think on the whole though, I see more new Tundras around than the new Silverados and Sierras..:(

Damn straight. What happened to that "huge blow against the domestics", anyway? I still see them around, but not nearly in the numbers I would have expected based on the hype of a few years ago.

Toyota's gotten better at the full-size pickup thing - for instance, they now offer a full LINE of engines rather than the same old V6 and an underpowered V8. And we all remember the T100, right? Oh, wait, no we don't.

I have absolutely no need for one at the moment, but if I were in the market, my short list in big half-ton pickups would run as follows:

1 ) GMC Sierra 1500 (best-looking and best-engineered big truck on the market)

2 ) Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (okay, at least the best-engineered)

3 ) Dodge Ram 1500 (still a desirable piece, though it's due to be replaced soon)

4 ) Ford F150 (good-looking and tough, but lacking in raw power)

5 ) Toyota Tundra (best of the imports, though that's not saying much - besides, it's not very attractive)

6 ) Nissan Titan (meh - it looks okay and pulls hard, but it has weird details)

7 ) Lincoln Mark LT (why does this exist, anyway?)

8 ) Chevrolet Avalanche (if I'm buying a truck, why do I need it to be an SUV too?)

9 ) Cadillac Escalade EXT (same question as the Avalanche, but add $20k and stir until nauseous)

For Me, It's

1 ) GMC Sierra 1500

2 ) Chevrolet Silverado 1500

3 ) Ford F150

4 ) Dodge Ram

5 ) Nissan Titan

6 ) Cadillac Escalade EXT

7 ) Chevrolet Avalanche

8 ) Lincoln Mark LT

9 ) TURD

I went to Home Depot the other night and saw several new Tundras, incl. one set up commercial style with a ladder rack. Saw a base model regular cab w/ black bumpers and steel wheels--wow, they look homely.

I have yet to see a new Silverado or Sierra in work truck trim (black bumpers, etc)..the ones I've seen are all chromey...they do make a work truck version of them, I assume?

I think on the whole though, I see more new Tundras around than the new Silverados and Sierras..:(

Yeah, I see new Toyotas a little TOO often now too. LOL

I'm not in love with the Tundra's styling either, but I'm sure the brainwashed masses will drop their Consumer's Reports magazines while on the toilet and run to dealerships in droves.

My Chevy Express van has black bumpers, but I don't know about the pickup trucks..