Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Update Page 2! GM is daring me to look elsewhere for a new vehicle

avant1963

My 2006 G6 GT is THE worst GM vehicle I have ever owned or leased. From the horrible electric steering (which is going to the dealership next week for its first repair, the 6 or 7th time the car has been in the shop) to the absolutely horrific Panoramic sunroof, which does nothing but squeak, rattle, knock, ping, slam, crack, pop, and any other noise you can think of right above your head, all the time, whether the roof is open or not.

It's obvious that GM has no fix for the roof. It has been back to the dealership twice (one of those trips was for over 3 weeks, while I paid a $341 lease payment to drive in the dealership's stinky 2003 Buick Century with nothing in it. Waste of a payment for that month) and there has been no progress (it's actually gotten worse). Since I don't want to have the car laid up for another month, and really don't want to invite leaks (many G6 owners have leaks in the roof, something that, thankfully, I have escaped) I told the dealership that the roof squeaks more than ever, but since GM cannot prove to me that they can fix it, I want them to leave it alone.

GM knows this roof is a huge problem. It has been removed from the 2008 G6 option list, even after it was in EVERY G6 commercial and was a selling point for my wife and many other consumers. Also, if you remember, the AURA was shown at autoshows with the Panoramic sunroof and it was supposed to be an option. Guess what? It's not. Why? Because GM knows it was a mistake.

So I called Pontiac Cares (they really don't) again (I had a case opened up after the first trip to the dealership did nothing to cure the sunroof woes). I explained to them the problem and asked what GM is doing for those of us that got suckered into paying a $2500 premium for that roof. They took all my information and said that they would call me on Thursday with a resolution.

Thursday came and a different woman called me back (she said the original woman that took my complaint had moved to another position. Fishy. And believe me, I am as nice as pie to these people. I was customer service once. They didn't design this awful roof. If Webasto was on phone, they would get an earful). She said that because the car is still under warranty (it only has 17,000 miles on it) the only thing that they could pursue is free maintenance. Since I do all my oil changes at home, and the dealership that we bought the car at is about 30 minutes away (the local Pontiac dealer is a slimeball place) I said that I would never use it.

I asked the woman, since GM knows this roof is a problem, and knows that people spent their hard-earned money to buy it, wouldn't it make sense for GM to offer some sort of incentive so when I return this back to Pontiac I have a reason to purchase another one? Maybe a $1000 coupon towards the purchase or lease of a new Pontiac when I hand mine back in for the troubles I've had?

She said since the car is still under warranty, there is nothing they can do (which is a bogus excuse. If the car was out of warranty, they would do something for me? Silly). I asked her, so my only recourse is to keep bringing it back to the dealership so they can tear the roof out of, put some lubrication here and a plastic grommet there, put it all back together again only to realize that all the noises are still there, all while I drive around in some stinky old loaner car and paying my $341 lease payment? Yep.

So I said, GM wants me to go back once more and then pursue a lemon law, while they could have admitted a mistake, said sorry, and given a little good will to someone who has driven nothing but GM cars all their life and spent so much time starting a pro-GM website to talk up their products when everyone was down on them? That's what GM wants?

She said that she could send me a letter for the Better Business Bureau so I could pursue the Lemon Law. GM just asked me to "take it to the courts." She closed out my complaint as "unsatisfied" (to say the least) and we hung up.

After that phone call, I suddenly had the urge to change my plans. See, in Oct 2008 the G6 gets returned to Pontiac (I feel sorry for anyone that GM suckered into actually buying a G6 with this sunroof, as there is no resale value for this car. As soon as someone takes it for a ride, they'll say "What the hell is all that noise?" and your only answer is "oh, it's the sunroof and there is no fix for it, so you'll have to live with it. Now give me $15,000 for the car.") I was going to purchase a G8 GT. But now I really don't feel like it. I started looking at Mustang GTs and Dodge Charger/Magnum R/Ts. If this is the way that GM is going to treat a loyal customer, then maybe I have my loyalties in the wrong place.

Thanks GM for owning up to your mistakes and making good when you screw a customer over with a bad product (not).

Walt Keegan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX SS

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Convertible

1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS AeroCoupe

1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

1967 Camaro RS

Wow... sorry to hear that. :(

This has to be one of the saddest post on this forum.

It's like one of the Duke boys making a Mopar joke

durring a Hazzard episode. Kind of creepy.

My 2006 G6 GT is THE worst GM vehicle I have ever owned or leased. From the horrible electric steering (which is going to the dealership next week for its first repair, the 6 or 7th time the car has been in the shop) to the absolutely horrific Panoramic sunroof, which does nothing but squeak, rattle, knock, ping, slam, crack, pop, and any other noise you can think of right above your head, all the time, whether the roof is open or not.

It's obvious that GM has no fix for the roof. It has been back to the dealership twice (one of those trips was for over 3 weeks, while I paid a $341 lease payment to drive in the dealership's stinky 2003 Buick Century with nothing in it. Waste of a payment for that month) and there has been no progress (it's actually gotten worse). Since I don't want to have the car laid up for another month, and really don't want to invite leaks (many G6 owners have leaks in the roof, something that, thankfully, I have escaped) I told the dealership that the roof squeaks more than ever, but since GM cannot prove to me that they can fix it, I want them to leave it alone.

GM knows this roof is a huge problem. It has been removed from the 2008 G6 option list, even after it was in EVERY G6 commercial and was a selling point for my wife and many other consumers. Also, if you remember, the AURA was shown at autoshows with the Panoramic sunroof and it was supposed to be an option. Guess what? It's not. Why? Because GM knows it was a mistake.

So I called Pontiac Cares (they really don't) again (I had a case opened up after the first trip to the dealership did nothing to cure the sunroof woes). I explained to them the problem and asked what GM is doing for those of us that got suckered into paying a $2500 premium for that roof. They took all my information and said that they would call me on Thursday with a resolution.

Thursday came and a different woman called me back (she said the original woman that took my complaint had moved to another position. Fishy. And believe me, I am as nice as pie to these people. I was customer service once. They didn't design this awful roof. If Webasto was on phone, they would get an earful). She said that because the car is still under warranty (it only has 17,000 miles on it) the only thing that they could pursue is free maintenance. Since I do all my oil changes at home, and the dealership that we bought the car at is about 30 minutes away (the local Pontiac dealer is a slimeball place) I said that I would never use it.

I asked the woman, since GM knows this roof is a problem, and knows that people spent their hard-earned money to buy it, wouldn't it make sense for GM to offer some sort of incentive so when I return this back to Pontiac I have a reason to purchase another one? Maybe a $1000 coupon towards the purchase or lease of a new Pontiac when I hand mine back in for the troubles I've had?

She said since the car is still under warranty, there is nothing they can do (which is a bogus excuse. If the car was out of warranty, they would do something for me? Silly). I asked her, so my only recourse is to keep bringing it back to the dealership so they can tear the roof out of, put some lubrication here and a plastic grommet there, put it all back together again only to realize that all the noises are still there, all while I drive around in some stinky old loaner car and paying my $341 lease payment? Yep.

So I said, GM wants me to go back once more and then pursue a lemon law, while they could have admitted a mistake, said sorry, and given a little good will to someone who has driven nothing but GM cars all their life and spent so much time starting a pro-GM website to talk up their products when everyone was down on them? That's what GM wants?

She said that she could send me a letter for the Better Business Bureau so I could pursue the Lemon Law. GM just asked me to "take it to the courts." She closed out my complaint as "unsatisfied" (to say the least) and we hung up.

After that phone call, I suddenly had the urge to change my plans. See, in Oct 2008 the G6 gets returned to Pontiac (I feel sorry for anyone that GM suckered into actually buying a G6 with this sunroof, as there is no resale value for this car. As soon as someone takes it for a ride, they'll say "What the hell is all that noise?" and your only answer is "oh, it's the sunroof and there is no fix for it, so you'll have to live with it. Now give me $15,000 for the car.") I was going to purchase a G8 GT. But now I really don't feel like it. I started looking at Mustang GTs and Dodge Charger/Magnum R/Ts. If this is the way that GM is going to treat a loyal customer, then maybe I have my loyalties in the wrong place.

Thanks GM for owning up to your mistakes and making good when you screw a customer over with a bad product (not).

Walt Keegan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX SS

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Convertible

1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS AeroCoupe

1986 Pontiac Fiero SE

1967 Camaro RS

Depending upon your state, you should just Lemon Law the car. If your state is like mine, you can get ALL of your payments & your loan paid off, minus a mileage charge.

I wouldn't even sweat it, just file (probably at your local AG's Office.)

...This sad story summarizes my fears that the 'new, re-energized' GM is really the old GM with a decent paint job.

If GM is listening, maybe you should contact this guy, huh?

Edited by enzl

If GM is listening, maybe you should contact this guy, huh?

Several times in the past, someone from General Motors has contacted me in order to get in touch with a member who expressed a quality about a recently-purchased new vehicle. I hope to receive another email shortly...

I'm adding this to our Newsreel and will forward this to a few people who can hopefully help out Walt with this problem.

Geez, sorry to hear that. I remember when the G6 launched some news article quoted some MB executives saying they couldn't believe GM made a roof like that, and that it would be a nightmare to make reliable.

Geez, sorry to hear that. I remember when the G6 launched some news article quoted some MB executives saying they couldn't believe GM made a roof like that, and that it would be a nightmare to make reliable.

You know there's a problem when Mercedes calls something unreliable.

i feel for ya. i would have been really leery of a new big roof, regardless of manuf. right now i am considering the ford edge as one of my choices for a next vehicle. what's frustrating is the only sunroof choice is the big one. can't a guy just get a plain sunroof anymore?

Guest YellowJacket894

You know, I would have to agree that the G6 most certainly isn't the best GM product we've owned, either. Or even ever built, for that matter. Ours had been to the repair shop multiple times, but it was just for the steering alone. The power steering light was coming on constantly over the radio readout at around the 37,000 mile mark, and it was just our luck that it also came on after the warranty ran out. And lets not mention that the steering would pop, crack, and even squeak over bumps and potholes. According to the mechanic, grease was somehow causing the noises by getting caught between two of the joints in the steering column. At around 38,000 miles, the entire steering column had been replaced, but this did nothing to solve the problems. It got to the point where we afraid of our own car, to be honest. Who's to say the steering wouldn't have decided to go FUBAR going 70 down Interstate 75? Very ugly thought. (And, reading from your complaints, I guess the problems we had with the brainless electronic steering weren't a result of prior neglect after all, it really is that horrible of an idea.)

Any electronic steering system is probably the most horrible thing GM has ever installed in a car, and this was never more apparent minutes after we got rid of ours for our Aura. The Aura has real hydraulic steering that feels pretty nice, precise, and weighted whereas I tend to think that steering our G6 was like steering a yacht in comparison to it. The G6 has very little weight and feedback and has too much play in the steering for my suiting. And not to mention the hydraulic system is probably less costly to repair as well. I don't see how a lot of you Malibu owners and G6 owners tolerate it.

Walt, I do believe that there is some sort incentive if you return a Pontiac for another Pontiac, regardless. I remember that we were thinking of replacing the G6 with a Torrent (sort of glad we didn't, since it did have that pathetic electronic steering as well) and the salesman told us there was a $1000 dollar rebate for customer loyalty. This was in mid-June, so I'm not sure if it's still in effect, but I would ask a salesman about it instead and ignore whatever the moron in the service department told you.

But I do understand that GM's Customer Service is partially to blame for your dissatisfaction. I'll admit, after our G6 left us feeling cold, we didn't give it any second chances, we got rid of it and didn't wait for it to break down somewhere. I understand you are leasing this one, though, and I can't imagine what headaches it would take for you to get rid of it tomorrow.

I wish you luck, though, Walt. And I also hope you don't let GM's one bad apple spoil the whole barrel.

I think you be getting a new car soon, Walt.

A co-worker of mine is having the same issues as your car.

She's ripped GM, the Dealership, and the local customer service center a new one.

Next week she gets a fully loaded 2007 kinda free. :yes:

She trades in the G6, and only has to pay what she has left on the G6 (a bit over 2 years)

Plus GM is paying ALL the maintenance for the first 2 years.....

And a Red lobster Gift card from the dealership. :huh:

So she is pretty happy. (she liked the GP, so it worked out better for her)

Can't go wrong with trading in a 06 g6 GT w/ 48k for a brand new car. :thumbsup:

I hope things work out for you, Walt. :yes:

Walt, you have my sympathies. I too have been a loyal GM owner, having now owned to date 11 GM vehicles (3 were used, the rest all purchased/leased new). I'd hate to be in your situation (about leaving GM), because I like their trucks and cars the best. But I agree, if your loyalty isn't going to count for anything, then why continue to give them your hard earned dollars for a piece-of-junk product? There's an old saying that goes "don't bite the hand that feeds you"... and in your case, GM is biting pretty hard. Here's hoping that someone from GM, either that reads our posts or through a contact, comes to your rescue and keeps you "in the family".

Dear GM,

Please get your act together and help this owner out NOW. Thanks!!!

Signed, Another loyal GM owner

- 2007 Saturn SKY (purchase)

- 2007 Saturn AURA XE (lease, expires Nov. '09)

- 2005 GMC Envoy SLT (lease, expires Aug '08)

- 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT Sedan (purchase)

- 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX (lease)

- 2001 GMC Sonoma Highrider (lease)

- 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan (lease)

- 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 Sedan (lease)

- 1995 Pontiac Trans Am (purchase; used)

- 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 (purchased; used)

- 1978 Chevrolet Camaro LT (purchased, used)

We feel for you! I hope you can get this sorted out...

You're very lucky that the roof isn't leaking... The seal around the window on our last two vans leaked, and it didn't even have a sunroof... The dealer tried to fix both of them 5 times to no avail.

It is always disappointing when a loyal GM owner has a problem with his or her car. If you have very bad luck which you have Walt I do not blame your for looking at another brand. I am going to second what GMTruck said...

Dear General Motors,

As a loyal life long customer and owner of 8 GM vehicles throughout my life I would hope you will make it right for Walt. It is very important to be able to keep good customers as he is. I hope someone is listening and can address this problem shortly.

Thanks

J. Noel (Loyal GM Owner)

2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville

1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE Sedan

1987 Olds Delta 88 Sedan

1977 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan

1973 Chevrolet Nova SS Sport Back

1971 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan

I feel your pain. I was having alot problems with my wifes 04 envoy xuv, 39k,they couldnt stop the misfires. Gmc/pontiac dealer I purchased it from didnt want it back because they had too many envoys on the used lot. Ive bought 3 trucks there! Well I went across the street and got her a loaded Hemi 07 Grand cherokee limited, worlds nicer than the envoy and cheaper! I didnt want to do it, but they pissed me off with their attitude. Ive always owned Gm stuff, and never been a mopar fan, but I know how you feel man

I hate to hear that the creator of C&G is considering going elsewhere. It paints a sad picture. I hope GM does what they should to help you out, Walt.

AMEN!

Holy cow, Walt ... I think it's amazing you stuck with it THIS long....especially with that wasted monthly lease payment.....

GOOD LUCK ... and keep us posted....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Come along and share the good times while we can" ... Lynn Anderson ... 'Rose Garden'

I am so sorry. This is indeed sad. I sure hate you are going through this. This is one of the reasons for Pontiac's bad image too. I hope they can find a fix for you. This is the kind of thing that impacts GM and market share. It does matter. Please let us know what happens. This is so frustrating.

My sympathies go out to you. I am sorry because this is a bad impression on GM at a time when they are trying to turn things around. You try to support them and they make you feel this way. It is about money. You feel leery, and wonder is it really worth it. I know how you feel "betrayed" by them. I know more than you. I heard something just as sad from a current Cadillac Eldorado owner. He is going Toyota because of the issues he had with the car. People do not want or need their lives disrupted.

I hope you can find the solution you desire. Please keep us informed.

Here's the deal on the "To GM" section.

Any post in this section must be approved by a mod before they can be seen. We set this up a long time ago and I had forgotten about it. So, don't be discouraged if your post doesn't immediately appear, a mod will eventually notice and approve it.

I'm very sorry to hear about you problems...it's a sad state of affairs when brand loyalty seems to mean nothing to one of these companies, especially when they need all of the loyalty and good word they can get.

As ocn said, the Charger and Mustang are fine cars, but for your sake and perhaps GM's too, it would be nice if you could find someone at GM who actually cared and made you feel like a valued customer, so you stayed with them.

Real quick update now - I'll make another one once the car is home.

After some emails to some people very high up in GM, GM has stepped up and assured me that the roof can be silenced and I would be compensated for my troubles.

As of this morning, the roof was worked on by an GM engineer that specializes in fixing them, the steering is fixed and they machined the rotors to kill a brake pulse. I pick up the car in a little while. I'll post more later.

Thanks everyone for their concern.

The car was quiet on its way home. Now lets hope it stays that way.

GM did go out of their way to get this right. An engineer was sent to the dealership within a day and had all parts in hand to make the updates needed to fix this roof. While the tech was on a test drive, he also noticed a brake pulse, so the dealership machined the front rotors to get rid of the typical warp. They also needed to replace the intermediate shaft for the steering to cure the "clunk".

GM has also stepped up to pay for the time the car was out of commission and for my troubles, which is also good. In the past four days I have spoken to no less than 4 people from the GM chain of command working to get this fixed. Once I got their attention, they jumped into action, were apologetic, seemed genuinely concerned, and made sure things were put right.

So far a happy ending for this chapter. I'll be waiting for that G8 GT.

Before we pop the champagne, let's see how many other loyal GM owners get this same treatment in their time of need. It's great that Walt got what he deserved, but if he's the only case, then what good is all this celebrating? Walt, if possible, please share this view with anyone you speak to from GM. This level of service is what all GM owners should receive without jumping, diving and hopping through hoops.

I know at the Wilmington factory tour, engineers were coming out to fix SKY and Solstice owners problems... but does that mean in another month or two I can drive back to the plant and get the same service as what was offered on May 19th? Probably not. So one show of effort is not good enough; any genuine owner's problem(s) should be handled correctly the first time. If that means GM puts engineers in all of their dealerships, so be it!

Congrats Walt and I'll keep my fingers crossed that your problems are solved through the remaining months of your lease.

Congratulations, Walt. May you finally have some quality time with your G6.

The disc warp is a common issue. Just had mine machined for the second time last week in a year and a half.

I just hope GM Canada can step up to have the same kind of attitude to owners. Though you're number 1 right now in Canada, but that doesn't mean you can forget your customers.

If they did successfully fix Walt's car, then that shows there is a legitimate fix in place and available for all G6 owners with this sunroof. Let's hope the dealers are capable of implementing this fix successfully in the future.

Congrats Walt! :thumbsup:

First and obviously foremost ... excellent news, Walt. I'm very glad that GM stepped in and made this situation right ... and compensated you in the process.

...let's see how many other loyal GM owners get this same treatment in their time of need.

Heh ... GMTruckGuy wrote what I was thinking as I read through today's posts. This IS great news that Walt is seeing satisfaction ... GM doing right by him and the car. BUT ... GM needs to do this for everyone ... not just a select few.....

"I want a 2-tone Chevrolet" ... BJ Thomas ... '2-Car Garage'

First and obviously foremost ... excellent news, Walt. I'm very glad that GM stepped in and made this situation right ... and compensated you in the process.

Heh ... GMTruckGuy wrote what I was thinking as I read through today's posts. This IS great news that Walt is seeing satisfaction ... GM doing right by him and the car. BUT ... GM needs to do this for everyone ... not just a select few.....

"I want a 2-tone Chevrolet" ... BJ Thomas ... '2-Car Garage'

I agree with the last posts...

GM needs to make sure that thir customers are happy-because this is really their one and only chance to get it right.

Flaws can happen to anyone-but they need to make sure the customer is happy. They don't need more negative stories.....

Glad that they took care of you, Walt. :thumbsup:

What IS with disk warp and epsilon cars? I mean honestly. My Malibu SS '06 has 26k miles on it and it has already had the rotors machined once at 18k miles. That didn't fix the pulse so they replaced them. No its less than 10k miles later and I'm getting the same thing. It seems that this is always a problem with GM midsizers. It was a problem for a lot of n-bodies too.

What IS with disk warp and epsilon cars? I mean honestly. My Malibu SS '06 has 26k miles on it and it has already had the rotors machined once at 18k miles. That didn't fix the pulse so they replaced them. No its less than 10k miles later and I'm getting the same thing. It seems that this is always a problem with GM midsizers. It was a problem for a lot of n-bodies too.

My Maxx LT V6 '06 had to have the rotors machined at 21K.

Are you suggesting the body structure is emitting some sort of magical field which warps brake disks? There are only three things which could effect the way the brakes wear or distort—the brakes themselves, the ABS system, and the driver. Since the the problem is manifestly not effecting every car (therefore not all brakes can be the problem), but does effect certain cars even if the brakes are changed, then the brakes alone do not cause any problem. Likewise the ABS alone cannot be the cause of the problem, since it should be the same on a wide range of cars not all of which suffer disk warping. Clearly then, the factor effecting some cars and not others is the driver. I would guess that a lot of people drive in a manner which produces distortion or wear that cannot be reproduced by GM test drivers. Machining or replacing the rotors will not have any effect. Either the brakes have to be upgraded to a specification that can handle the way you drive (if that is even possible), or you have to change the way you drive (even more difficult). Even if you have another car which does not have the same problems, it is probable that you do not use it the same way, or as often as your regular vehicle.

Fingers crossed here, Walt, that you have a permanent solution to your sunroof woes. Now GM needs to put a "stop sale" message out to dealers on cars equipped with this roof until all the unsold cars in inventory are taken care of. And of course all cars in owners' hands that are problem-prone need to have the same treatment. I'd like to see the TSB list on this roof.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings