Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I was a victim of theft at work yesterday.

24 posts in this topic

I was a victim of theft. I was in my office today. I was quite busy. I last saw the black bag the Sociology department gave me at or around 11:30 am. I was busy with the last student from orientation and finished around 5:00-5:10 pm. When I turned around to pick my things up off the floor to leave, my big bag was still there, but the bag I just mentioned that I got from the department was gone. The student and I searched every trash can in El Hinney. We looked in the restroom. We went out doors. I then called campus police. I had put in a report. I filled out all this paperwork. He too went looking for the bag. He said probably the suspect was male.

This is the sad part. Someone had to walk in from the hall, into the suite for 252 and then into my office. I then left U of H close to 6:00 pm. I went through rush hour traffic to the bank. I was in the bank until 8:00 pm clearing up the mess, establishing a new account, and notifying them of everything that happened. I then came home and had to rest passwords for everything I do on online in my personal life. I did not get home until 9:00 pm.

This is the sad part. There was no money, or anything of value in bag except a small pocket calculator. They took an outdated address book, some cds I burned, and a list of websites I frequent and towels I carried to wipe off.

So the thief lost out.

I carry my valuables on my person. I had to close the bank account because the checkbook was in the bag with the account number. They did not get the other bank information or my debit card, office keys or other valuables because as I stated, I carry them on my person.

I have a few more details I will take care of Monday like reestablishing my direct deposit again with my job, and notifying the insurance company of the change. The people at the bank were quite helpful. I had to set up a new account.

The police officer and the bank were impressed with how I minimized the impact of this on my life by taking precautions before it happened. A few months ago in the spring, someone got access to my account though the debit card and made charges, and I got my money back from that and cleared my name and got a new debit card.

I do thank one of my professors for telling me months ago to back up my things on my computer. All the documents I created for both departments are on both computers.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Sad state of affairs.

"probably the suspect was male" <_< And what other than sexist conjecture is this based on?

If this was a bag that the department gave you, is it possible that others could have been given the same bag and somebody, thinking it was theirs, took it in error? Do you share an office with anybody or is it all your own?

If this was a bag that the department gave you, is it possible that others could have been given the same bag and somebody, thinking it was theirs, took it in error? Do you share an office with anybody or is it all your own?

I have my own office. I share with no one. I was the only one who had that bag too.

That sucks... about the only thing valuable I have w/ me at work usually are my iPod and cell phone, so I lock them in my desk when I'm out of the cube (or take them with me).

An added note:

When I was in the Galleria area the traffic was so backed up, the people started honking their horns at each other, and one guy yelled out his window a***hole!! to some other driver. I saw a new Saturn VUE and Buick Enclave too. That crossover looks very nice in person and it is Buick, but it is not bad Buick. It stands out. The VUE was black. Very European looking.

Why all the fuss if all you lost was a check book? Just close the checking account and open a new one. No big deal or am I missing something?

It's the principle of the thing.

Why all the fuss if all you lost was a check book? Just close the checking account and open a new one. No big deal or am I missing something?

Closing an account and opening a new one is a pain in the ass.. and not to mention the potential for home burglary (since your address is on the checks). I never carry checks with me and rarely ever write one...

I was a victim of theft. I was in my office today. I was quite busy. I last saw the black bag the Sociology department gave me at or around 11:30 am. I was busy with the last student from orientation and finished around 5:00-5:10 pm. When I turned around to pick my things up off the floor to leave, my big bag was still there, but the bag I just mentioned that I got from the department was gone. The student and I searched every trash can in El Hinney. We looked in the restroom. We went out doors. I then called campus police. I had put in a report. I filled out all this paperwork. He too went looking for the bag. He said probably the suspect was male.

This is the sad part. Someone had to walk in from the hall, into the suite for 252 and then into my office. I then left U of H close to 6:00 pm. I went through rush hour traffic to the bank. I was in the bank until 8:00 pm clearing up the mess, establishing a new account, and notifying them of everything that happened. I then came home and had to rest passwords for everything I do on online in my personal life. I did not get home until 9:00 pm.

This is the sad part. There was no money, or anything of value in bag except a small pocket calculator. They took an outdated address book, some cds I burned, and a list of websites I frequent and towels I carried to wipe off.

So the thief lost out.

I carry my valuables on my person. I had to close the bank account because the checkbook was in the bag with the account number. They did not get the other bank information or my debit card, office keys or other valuables because as I stated, I carry them on my person.

I have a few more details I will take care of Monday like reestablishing my direct deposit again with my job, and notifying the insurance company of the change. The people at the bank were quite helpful. I had to set up a new account.

The police officer and the bank were impressed with how I minimized the impact of this on my life by taking precautions before it happened. A few months ago in the spring, someone got access to my account though the debit card and made charges, and I got my money back from that and cleared my name and got a new debit card.

I do thank one of my professors for telling me months ago to back up my things on my computer. All the documents I created for both departments are on both computers.

Ohhhhhh really :AH-HA_wink: J/K

That sucks man, I hope the thief gets caught. Not to fond of dishonest people even if it was only a calculator and some other items. People these days..... <_<

Closing an account and opening a new one is a pain in the ass.. and not to mention the potential for home burglary (since your address is on the checks). I never carry checks with me and rarely ever write one...

It takes about 10 minutes, it's really no big deal.

It takes about 10 minutes, it's really no big deal.

Yes, but then there's all the secondary stuff tha can be set up for paying from a checking account..credit cards, utilities, etc... ugh. I know for me it would be a pain... I've had the same primary checking account for over 10 years.

Edited by moltar

To PCS:

It took more than 10 minutes. I was in the bank for two hours, and had to also prove I was not running some scam. Banks deal with fraud, and do not take it lightly. It has been an big change in my life. I had to remember every check I wrote at the beginning of this month and every transaction. Having the police take your statement is not fun especially when you have to write it up and then watch them process the stuff.

It also cost me money too because I had to order new checks. I almost had to pay fees to stop the other checks that were in the process of going through. Lucky for me, they showed me compassion.

Not only that as Moltar said, it is a huge problem because I do not write checks for everything and I have to go notify everyone of the changes that I deal with for direct or online business.

I then had to sign all these documents with the police and with my bank when I opened up my new account. I was up late last night past 1 am and this morning changing every password for every site I use online. I even had to change my information on this site.

As for the pocket calculator, I used to use it to do my job. The only value it had it was one of the first things I bought myself when I took my job. The bag was a honest gift from honest people. One thing I can say about the people I worth with, is they do care about the employees and they think enough about me to show appreciation for the work I do.

I am not materialistic, but it was the "idea" it was taken. It was the idea that you think you can feel safe on your job in your own office, and you cannot. I was not making a big deal about it either. I was sharing what happened.

Let's suppose someone stole your Grand Prix GXP after it goes out of production. How would you react?

Not everyone here works for GM and can get discounts on cars and other things like that.

To everyone else, your comments are appreciated.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

To PCS:

It took more than 10 minutes. I was in the bank for two hours, and had to also prove I was not running some scam. Banks deal with fraud, and do not take it lightly. It has been an big change in my life. I had to remember every check I wrote at the beginning of this month and every transaction. Having the police take your statement is not fun especially when you have to write it up and then watch them process the stuff.

It also cost me money too because I had to order new checks. I almost had to pay fees to stop the other checks that were in the process of going through. Lucky for me, they showed me compassion.

Not only that as Moltar said, it is a huge problem because I do not write checks for everything and I have to go notify everyone of the changes that I deal with for direct or online business.

I then had to sign all these documents with the police and with my bank when I opened up my new account. I was up late last night past 1 am and this morning changing every password for every site I use online. I even had to change my information on this site.

As for the pocket calculator, I used to use it to do my job. The only value it had it was one of the first things I bought myself when I took my job. The bag was a honest gift from honest people. One thing I can say about the people I worth with, is they do care about the employees and they think enough about me to show appreciation for the work I do.

I am not materialistic, but it was the "idea" it was taken. It was the idea that you think you can feel safe on your job in your own office, and you cannot. I was not making a big deal about it either. I was sharing what happened.

Let's suppose someone stole your Grand Prix GXP after it goes out of production. How would you react?

Not everyone here works for GM and can get discounts on cars and other things like that.

To everyone else, your comments are appreciated.

All I was saying is it only took me 10 minutes to change my checking account it was no big deal for me, maybe my bank is better at it than yours is, I don't know.

Let them steal the GXP, OnStar will find it! :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident Ninety-Eight and the mess it caused afterwards for you. You have my sympathies.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident Ninety-Eight and the mess it caused afterwards for you. You have my sympathies.

Thank you GM Truck Guy

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

That sucks big time.

I never carry my checkbook with me. I would hate to even think of the pain-in-the-a$$ quotient of having to change the account number, not to mention going online and changing the info for the cards I have automatically deducted from there. Oh yeah, cable, gas and electric is autopay to that account too. Insurance, too.

Who still uses checks? Yes I have a checking account, but I pay all bills through Quicken or the bank website. If I absolutely have to pay that instant, I have the Check card or and ATM.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your lose... but still.....

Edited by Oldsmoboi

That sucks big time.

I never carry my checkbook with me. I would hate to even think of the pain-in-the-a$$ quotient of having to change the account number, not to mention going online and changing the info for the cards I have automatically deducted from there. Oh yeah, cable, gas and electric is autopay to that account too. Insurance, too.

That has been the biggest part of the headache.

Who still uses checks? Yes I have a checking account, but I pay all bills through Quicken or the bank website. If I absolutely have to pay that instant, I have the Check card or and ATM.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your lose... but still.....

I do not use checks that often. I do use online or automatic debit. That has been the biggest part of the problem calling people and fixing all this stuff. It is not over sadly.

The Police called me today and told me it was someone one I knew. Sadly, that is one of the students who came in my office Friday.

Sorry to hear about this, this kind of stuff is a major pain. Just be happy isn't wasn't more serious. About 2 years ago my brother was the victum of identity theft. Someone had got ahold of his personal information and was opening lines of credit all over the counrty in his name. His credit was ruined and it took about a year for the whole mess to get cleared up and his credit rating restored.

Sorry to hear about this, this kind of stuff is a major pain. Just be happy isn't wasn't more serious. About 2 years ago my brother was the victum of identity theft. Someone had got ahold of his personal information and was opening lines of credit all over the counrty in his name. His credit was ruined and it took about a year for the whole mess to get cleared up and his credit rating restored.

That is what I fear too.. Thank you for your concern.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room