Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

BUILD YOUR FLEX

25 posts in this topic

Pricing seems competitive with the rest of what's in the class. I'd take any of the Lambdas over it though. Still not a bad entry from Ford.

This isn't official pricing, but something to judge consumer interest in options instead. Still it has proven close with the Fusion and Expedition.

I think Flex is a redundant vehicle in the Ford Lineup.

Gets pricey in a hurry, but there are a ton of options and I would definitely consider it worth the $35,000 I got a SE AWD (if/when I re-enter the market I'd probably go with an SEL FWD) up to, assuming the 3.5 works as well in the Flex as it does in the Edge.

how so? taurus x cargo area is not very big. vehicle is a wagon. not in any way comparable utility wise to a van.

edge is only a 2 row.

freestar is dead.

Hey, if Toyota can do it with the Land Cruiser and Sequoia...

Hey, if Toyota can do it with the Land Cruiser and Sequoia...

Totally different beasts, just like reg pointed out with the Flex/Taurus X/Edge scenario. The Land Cruiser, was an off roader (still very capable) and is now more of a luxury SUV, while the Sequoia is a 3-row soccer mom SUV. You could argue that the Land Cruiser and LX450 (or whatever it is now) are pretty redundant, but thats no more true than saying the Tahoe and Yukon are redundant. The only way the Flex becomes truly redundant is if the next gen Explorer is what everyone thinks it will be, a unibody tall wagon.

how so? taurus x cargo area is not very big. vehicle is a wagon. not in any way comparable utility wise to a van.

edge is only a 2 row.

freestar is dead.

You are right. Somehow I was thinking that the Flex was not much bigger than the Edge and that it was just a third row plugged in a small SUV and a different body style of the same platform as the Edge.

Flex dimensionally is much bigger than Edge. As a matter of fact it is a good strategy Ford is arranging of having the bases covered with these two different Cross-SUVials. GM lacks a reasonable Edge competitor.

Totally different beasts, just like reg pointed out with the Flex/Taurus X/Edge scenario. The Land Cruiser, was an off roader (still very capable) and is now more of a luxury SUV, while the Sequoia is a 3-row soccer mom SUV. You could argue that the Land Cruiser and LX450 (or whatever it is now) are pretty redundant, but thats no more true than saying the Tahoe and Yukon are redundant. The only way the Flex becomes truly redundant is if the next gen Explorer is what everyone thinks it will be, a unibody tall wagon.

Sorry, I overestimated the size of the Land Cruiser. The 4Runner, which grew to roughly the same size as the Land Cruiser, would have been a better choice than the Sequoia.

The 4Runner is size and utility-wise fairly close to the Land Cruiser, but the Land Cruiser is the more upscale option, like taking a Yukon Denali over a Tahoe.

there were some new highlanders on the toyo lot i drove by this aft but the wife didn't want me to waste time looking....didn't get to see the size of them

Good color selection too, and unlike the Lambdas, they have a real Black Clearcoat (called Ebony). Still trying to figure out if that new White Suede is a regular white or if its a beige and white mixed in. The Cinnamon and Moss Green Metallics look good; this new Sterling Gray Metallic looks like a boring grey, I prefer the current Alloy/Carbon one. Surprised Vapor Silver and Dune Pearl Metallics and the Creme Brulee don't make its way on here. Note also the SE trim has blackout mirrors and door/window surround moldings, as opposed to the bright trim or color-keyed mirrors of the SEL and Limited trims.

BTW, can someone post a picture of the colors if they get a chance, especially the previously mentioned ones? Thank you!

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

I almost forgot to say this before...

I am VERY happy that Ford has a monochrome option. If I were to get a Flex, I wouldn't want the white roof.

if i got the orange flex, i think i would want an orange roof.

what would be cool is black with a carbon / gray colored roof.

Different, contrasting roof options would be cool. White with black or charcoal would be nice, but I do like the white, it adds a different dimension to the thing.

Why does Ford need the Edge, Flex, Taurus X and Escape? A little redundant, no?

It lookjs like a grown up MINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad idea ford, i smell a failure. I got a Limited up to around 45,000.00, and for that money i will walk over to Volvo/GMC/Lexus?Land Rover, and spend my money there, where i know i can get a LUXURY BRAND!!!!!!! Now lets see what the Lincoln one looks like, i have no hopes for ford, and i hope they see Volvo ASAP!

It lookjs like a grown up MINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad idea ford, i smell a failure. I got a Limited up to around 45,000.00, and for that money i will walk over to Volvo/GMC/Lexus?Land Rover, and spend my money there, where i know i can get a LUXURY BRAND!!!!!!! Now lets see what the Lincoln one looks like, i have no hopes for ford, and i hope they see Volvo ASAP!

The thing is, no one shopping for a family hauler, which is how the Flex is marketed, would cross-shop it with a more indulgent, less capable luxury SUV like Lexus or Land Rover. You would at best get a Lexus RX, a Land Rover LR2, or a Volvo XC90 3.2 for that 45 grand.

The Acadia is the closest comparison out of those four marques you named, as the two are of comparable size and replace the minivan for each respective brand. (sidenote: if the Acadia is a luxury SUV, what do you call the Enclave?)

This thing is like an obese Scion xB with downs syndrome. :puke:

Why does Ford need the Edge, Flex, Taurus X and Escape? A little redundant, no?

edge-2 row sporty CUV

taurus x- a smaller three row crossover. more carlike. just a taurus wagon.

edge- larger 3 row CUV, more sized like a van.

no, not redundant at all. ford still needs a minivan. next.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i'm still waiting for someone to chop a pic like this of the flex into a pickup truck

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

sorry, jumped the gun!!!!!! pretty bitchin actually!

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0