Arkansas couple has 17th baby

Another one of those articles that seems like its straight out of The Onion.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22183967-2,00.html

An Arkansas couple had a baby daughter on Thursday - their 17th child and seventh girl - and the pair say they're still not ready to give it a rest.

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10.01am at a hospital in Rogers, Arkansas, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar said in an interview.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, referring to baby girls.

"We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in a 650sq m home in Tontitown.

All the children - whose names start with the letter J - are taught at home.

The oldest is 19 and the youngest, after Jennifer, is almost two.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Mr Duggar, a former state representative.

"We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Michelle Duggar said she started feeling contractions on Wednesday night and went to the hospital at 5am Thursday.

"It actually went fast," she said.

"I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

Mrs Duggar said that each child was so different there are times when she feels like she knows nothing about parenting.

The family has been featured on several programs on cable television's Discovery Health Network.

The next television special, the Duggar Family Album, is scheduled to air next month.

Among the "fun facts" listed on Discovery Health Network's web page devoted to the Duggars: a baby has been born in every month except June; the Duggars have gone through an estimated 90,000 nappies and Michelle has been pregnant for 126 months - or 10.5 years - of her life.

Mr Duggar, 44, is a real estate-agent who served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 1999 to 2002.

He was a candidate for the US Senate in 2002 but lost the ballot.

Mrs Duggar, 41, and her husband are politically conservative fundamentalist Christians.

They reportedly live debt-free.

"It actually went fast," she said.

Of course it did, that route sees more traffic than the Lincoln Tunnel. :puke:

Hey God bless 'em, it's a free country.

I didn't read that they were on welfare so what's the beef?

There's something wierd about people having litters that big in the US....it's one thing for the poor and stupid in 3rd world countries to have huge litters, but it seems very strange in the modern world to have big litters, not to mention irresponsible (contribution to overpopulation, etc).

I wrote a paper a couple of years ago adapting ideas from A Modest Proposal to modern times. These people would have fit right into my scheme, just like Montana into the West Coast Offense.

Edit: Just to clarify, my paper was a satire, just like the original. I do not condone the eating of babies.

Edited by Satty

The only reason this bothers me, other than the obvious fact that her va-jay-jay could easily eat any one of the children she's had, is that we know the overpopulation the world is going to have not too long from now. Why would you want to add to that by having more than four or five kids, let alone seventeen?

Yipee! Seventeen more bible thumping, nutjob "Red Stater's" coming our way. <_<

These people give Catholics like me a bad name.

Yes..that's probably the part I found the most disgusting...homeschooled by fundie Christians, young minds warped..

All I saying is if I was LOADED, like William Gates loaded I'd have

six or seven, kids, why not? All those poor retards with the

inability to feed two mouths nevermind tripple that have a ton of

kids out of stupidity & ignorance, but if you can support that many

children and educate them then god bless.

I hated being an only child, never wanted Sofia to be an only child.

now as far as the super-religious crap, I agree with you guys.

All I saying is if I was LOADED, like William Gates loaded I'd have

six or seven, kids, why not? All those poor retards with the

inability to feed two mouths nevermind tripple that have a ton of

kids out of stupidity & ignorance, but if you can support that many

children and educate them then god bless.

I hated being an only child, never wanted Sofia to be an only child.

now as far as the super-religious crap, I agree with you guys.

Six or seven is less than half of what they've got. And judging by the names these people gave their kids and the fact that they are hoome skoold by these very parents, tells me they won't go on to become productive member of society. :P

• 1 year later...
They'll probably contribute as much to society as their parents, if not less.

Well, if each of the 17 kids has 17 kids of their own, thats 289, if each of those has 17 kids, thats 4913 kids, if each of those has 17, thats 83581, thats quite the contribution to society.

There's something wierd about people having litters that big in the US....it's one thing for the poor and stupid in 3rd world countries to have huge litters, but it seems very strange in the modern world to have big litters, not to mention irresponsible (contribution to overpopulation, etc).

They are conservative Christians and trying to fill the world with conservative Christians. It is part of the whole far right homeschool movement.

Chris

Well, if each of the 17 kids has 17 kids of their own, thats 289, if each of those has 17 kids, thats 4913 kids, if each of those has 17, thats 83581, thats quite the contribution to society.

That's the whole idea. Mary Pride, the mother of the rightwing element in home schooling movement doesn't believe in birth control or the idea that the earth is overpopulated.

She once reasoned that since all of the world's population would fit in Texas, that there was a whole planet to fill for God's glory.

Chris

What a pair of irresponsible,backward, idiots!

I hope all of their children become abortion doctors and/or gay activists.

Fundamentalist jackasses.

A huge number of children of fundamentalists don't become fundamentalists themselves.

And hell yes let them become abortion doctors and gay activists...the fundamentalist right needs a dose of reality.

Chris

I'll even take this a step further, in 2005 the British government released a study that showed about 6% of the population is gay. That works out to about 1/17, so statistically, one of their kids is going to be gay. Wouldn't that make for an interesting Thanksgiving?

Sadly, I think a gay child would be disowned by such a family. I have a very good friend who goes to a liberal church that has an outreach program for gay teens. A LOT of gay teens struggle in families like this.

The real life cases are amazingly sad.

As for me, I'd rather have a Gay child than a fundamentalist any day of the week. Hell, I'd take 17 gay children before I'd take one fundamentalist.

Chris

I wonder what happens when one of the boys hits puberty. On second thought, I'd rather not know, this being Arkansas.

Something like a virgin in (Arkansas, or insert name of location) being someone who can outrun her brothers?

I've watched one of those shows about the family (mouth hanging open the whole while) & I can tell you one thing - those 17 kids are far more productive & responsible than a 1000 average American kids. They aren't laying around the house, eating Cheetos, texting & playing video games all damned day, like most waste their lives doing. Guaranteed the kids will be a lot better adjusted to what a productive member of society SHOULD be doing than the average whiner/slacker hybrid. Let 'em pump out an even 24 if they want; if they're not on welfare, who gives a &#036;h&#33;?