Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Thoughts on GM and the car industry

12 posts in this topic

I was thinking today, and I thought about all these things:

1. Why is the Saturn Aura struggling? Why is it not selling like gangbusters if it has the stuff to compete and the award to back it up?

2. GM will NEVER get a moment of rest. I say this because:

For every hit product, that means the competition is going to try to out do that GM product , and the follow has to be better than the first hit( Solstice, Sky, Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, CTS etc.)

The first test will be the new CTS.

For ever success in the company, the other divisions and their products will be judged by that product.

How do you separate Buick from Cadillac luxury and make it clear just by looking at the product, it is distinct and clear.

3. I remember when GM cars were like cartoon characters, they had a distinct personality and you easily knew them by name. Right now the GM cars that are like that are the Cadillacs. There is not a distinct " Pontiac" look. Saturn is identified by a grille because they are based on Opel. Chevrolet and Buick are on the way with that "distinct" personality. Buick I think is about to hit the mark. There is no unity in the look of any of the Pontiacs,

Back in the day, you knew a Oldsmobiles when you saw them. A split grille ( chrome or body colored) and two vertical taillamps with rocket logos. Even the last Oldsmobiles had a uniform look.

4. What do you do to get the fuel economy up on the trucks? diesels?

5. I figured out something why is it Outlook has a gas mileage of 18 and 24 and Enclave is like 16 and 20-24? Easy. Enclave weighs more and had more features and materials than Outlook.

6. If Chevrolet is keeping the uncompetitive Uplander, it is for a reason. They are watching what happens with the new Chrysler vans and the imports. I wonder if the Traverse could be the only minivan off that Outlook/Acadia/Enclave trio?

Think about it, why would you give Chevy the same thing the others have eating away at their sales, when you could make a "modified" vehicle that is on the same platform and make the Chevy unique in some way.

7. If GM really wanted to, they could create a front wheel drive car off that platform that they use on Outlook, Enclave, and Acadia.

8. GM is up to something. They are smart too. They are merging the GMC and Buick and Pontiac dealers for a reason. Alone, those dealers are taking up space and are not profitable. Together, they are a force. They are like Lincoln Mercury dealers. If one division should fail, it is that easy to fold it. They do not have to deal with the Oldsmobile scenario again. In a away, they learned from the "Oldsmobile" thing. They are putting the squeeze on these one brand showrooms. That closes dealers at the same time. Also, the bigger picture.. If one of those divisions folds, it is that easy to send those products to either Saturn, Pontiac or Buick.

9. If GM could, they would sell the Opel and Holden name in this country. They cannot for several reasons:

1. Establishing a brand takes money and time GM does not have right now.

2. No one knows Holden and PCS would have a horse, a pig, and a couple of chickens :lol:

3. Opels and Holdens are Chevrolets in other countries.

4. Buick is a success in China. That is the only reason Buick is still here. It would have been interesting if Oldsmobile was the company that was big in China.

5. Opel is the only thing that saved Saturn,plus to appeal to buyers who buy nothing but imports Saturn was the way to go. It had no image. People who had been craving Opels, can get them here.

6. GM does not want to admit or deny the Saturn experiment did not do what it was supposed to do. They are going in a different direction with the brand and relying on good will customers to re-establish the brand.

10. Anyone one notice Holdens are appearing as Buicks and Pontiacs. That is no mistake. That is to increase Holdens export potential and to keep Pontiac and Buick viable too. One feeds the other.

11. The market is ripe for an El Camino for the fact gas prices, and a car based truck would sell if marketed properly.

12. GM is not walking away from the front drive fullsized market. They are not going to just hand that over to Ford. Something will come out of GM that is bigger than Malibu and is front wheel drive.

13. Anyone notice Lincoln and Cadillac are both getting away from large sedans?

DTS and STS will die, MKS is coming out as the "flagship" Lincoln and Town Car is not promoted or even mentioned. If Ford redesigns the Lincoln Town Car, you bet a competitor will be at Buick.

Your thoughts? Add, respond and comment.

The Aura is struggling because people are still happy with their Accords and Camrys and the Aura isn't better than they are. I wish GM had never started Saturn. The 1991 Saturn should have been the 1991 Cavalier. I never believed moving Saturn upscale would succeed.

The Epsilon II Malibu will be larger than the 2008 Malibu, and I see no reason for GM to develop anything larger to compete with the Taurus. In 10 years if CAFE goes to 35 mpg, I don't think that there will be any mainstream cars larger than the Malibu, and most of them will be hybrids.

Pontiac has a distinct look with its split grille.

Because of its shrinking market share, I wish GM could downsize to just Chevrolet and Cadillac, but the lawsuits would be too expensive.

We already know that the Traverse will not be a minivan. A FWD car off the Lambda platform would be too heavy.

Have you noticed I don't oppose Opel at all! :P

Oh, I have noticed.. That is why I said what I said about Holden. That is why I know you have no problem with Saturn.

I fought the Saturn war already and won. Notice Saturn as a car company is gone, absorbed into the GM Collective, lock, stock and barrel. The Wimington plant was part of Saturn, so I knew my enemy well. Wilmington was the 1st to break free of them. Wilmington has closer ties to Opel now too, ala the Opel GT and the old Saturn LS, which was a reskinned Opel Vectra. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I fought the Saturn war already and won. Notice Saturn as a car company is gone, absorbed into the GM Collective, lock, stock and barrel. The Wimington plant was part of Saturn, so I knew my enemy well. Wilmington was the 1st to break free of them. Wilmington has closer ties to Opel now too, ala the Opel GT. :P

Hmmm... makes us think you either know something or up to something..

>>"8. They are merging the GMC and Buick and Pontiac dealers for a reason. Alone, those dealers are taking up space and are not profitable. "<<

Everything I have ever read indicated both Buick & GMC have been independantly profitable. Pontiac, I have not heard about either way.

The Aura is struggling because people are still happy with their Accords and Camrys and the Aura isn't better than they are. I wish GM had never started Saturn. The 1991 Saturn should have been the 1991 Cavalier. I never believed moving Saturn upscale would succeed.

The Epsilon II Malibu will be larger than the 2008 Malibu, and I see no reason for GM to develop anything larger to compete with the Taurus. In 10 years if CAFE goes to 35 mpg, I don't think that there will be any mainstream cars larger than the Malibu, and most of them will be hybrids.

Pontiac has a distinct look with its split grille.

It is not uniform across the line. There was a "family" look in the past. There is not now. G8 does not look like Solstice, and G6 does not look like G8 and Torrent is on a different plane.

Because of its shrinking market share, I wish GM could downsize to just Chevrolet and Cadillac, but the lawsuits would be too expensive.

I said something about that above too.

We already know that the Traverse will not be a minivan. A FWD car off the Lambda platform would be too heavy.

I know that, but my point is it makes not sense to eat into the sales of the other three. That platform was designed to created a fwd full sized car. It is not going to happen.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hmm, Opel GTs.....hey PCS, want a classic Opel GT, I know where five are right now.

No thank you, that would remind me to much of my high school English teacher. She drove a yellow one! :P

My father in law has five. Two are driveable, the others are restoreable.

If you've seen the movie Porky's, my English teacher looked like Miss Ballbricker! Enough said? :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0