Why should I care about Opel?

Opel is the future of GM. How Europeans drive today, we Americans will be driving tomorrow. Europe leads the way in diesel technology and as GM's European brand, Opel and to a lesser extent Saab will be pulling the rest of GM in that direction too. I don't think Hybrids are the answer, but I have great hope for diesel power in our future. Opel is using various engines on different Opel models from the 1.3 - 1.9 CDTi ECOTECs.

All we need is one small Geo-Political crisis or a natural disaster to make gasoline go to 4, 5, even 10 bucks a gallon, then you will see the true value of diesel and Opel to all of General Motors.

You and I are relics from the past who both enjoy V8 power, but where we differ is, you are firmly rooted in the past, where I look towards the future and to me, that future is Opel and diesel engines not big honking V8's from OZ.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I don't mean in the "is it good for GM" sense, I mean why should I care.

What can Opel offer that would appeal to me?

Not too much, I suspect.

If you're asking is there a RWD V8 coming from Opel, then the answer is no. But if Opel's existence and it's technology lowers CAFE enough that GM can still make RWD V8's, then you tell me the answer to your question.

Vehicularly, Opel is pretty much the European interpretation of basic Chevy, just transportation, they just do it without the fringe stuff like the Camaro and Corvette. They play to the heart of the market, so you're not going to find much you would want to buy from Opel, unless you like the GT.

Vehicularly, Opel is pretty much the European interpretation of basic Chevy, just transportation, they just do it without the fringe stuff like the Camaro and Corvette. They play to the heart of the market, so you're not going to find much you would want to buy from Opel, unless you like the GT.

About what I thought, I was hoping that I missed something along the way.

I do like the GT just fine, but it's more Pontiac than Opel.

About what I thought, I was hoping that I missed something along the way.

I do like the GT just fine, but it's more Pontiac than Opel.

That and you can pick one up with a Saturn badge at your local Saturn dealer.

To me Opel offers GM NA their knowhow in European ride and handling, which the new Vue is being praised for, and they also gave Saturn styling that didn't suck for the first time in its life.

It's not the godsend that PCS makes it out to be, but it is a valuable devision that will help GM NA out here just like Holden is a valuable devision for different reasons.

It's a hardtop so that's good.

I do NOT beleive hybrids are the future, more of a marketing ploy....

at least def. not crap like the Prius. Diesels on the other hand will pay a role.

Shoot, Camino, you may as well buy a G6 GTP coupe, the Opel's an Epsilon, right?

Shhhh!

I was trying really hard to like it (and convince myself that it could be RWD). :AH-HA_wink:

I do love the rear quarter with its flared wheelwell and well-fitted rolling stock. The rest is an almost for me (stylingwise).

Tweak the front and rear, make it RWD, give it a potent powerplant, and I would drive it.

As an Epsilon, no.