Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Just ordered a 2008 CTS

makfu

So, after more than 5 years with my 3.2l powered, 5 speed manual (all options, sans automatic) CTS, I just ordered a 2008 CTS in Raven Black (cashmere interior) with the 3.6DI V6, 6speed manual + summer tire package and all other options sans AWD and the engine block heater. The total MSRP was just a tick over 45k, which is a bit more than I had expected. I should have a build date soon.

-Mak

03 CTS with 5 on the floor

you will be posting pics when you get it, right? haha. welcome. sounds awesome.

I will indeed post pics as soon as I get my car. That said, we could all be waiting a while as manual trans cars haven't been released to production yet. :(

For those that don't know, I have actually been a long-time C&G member (5+ years) - I just happen to lurk. I used to post more often back in the early days (I don't know if the old board archive is still up, but I had several long winded posts).

In a rare bit of a good news for GM - for my last 6 cars (excluding my Mini Cooper - yes I have one) I have always cross-shopped BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. While I love my 03 CTS, there is no doubt that the primary reason it beat out my other choice back in 2002 (an E39 BMW 525i) was because, while it offered a similar ride/handling setup, looked bitchin and was of roughly equal size, it was a lot less money. That it cost less than both a comparably equipped 3 and 5 series offset the weird interior and initial concerns about the quality of the product. As it turned out, the quality of the product proved to be truly first rate; I still can't get over how remarkably solid and noise free my 03 is even after years of brutal NYC commutes (though the interior is still weird :) ).

This is the first time where I didn't even consider another brand, I saw the 08 and I wanted it. Put simply, it is that holy grail of marketing hacks everywhere: The Must Have Product. These are the types of products GM needs more of, and, at least by volume of models, seems to have a fair number of on deck (the G8, Camaro and Vette SS are just three that come to mind). In my mind, all the 08 CTS has to do to make me happy is look like it did at the autoshow and in the recent pics (a.k.a. one bad motha) while still offering the great chassis setup of the current car. That the new interior looks brilliant and that it STILL costs less than a 5, or even comparable 3 series, sure doesn't hurt either.

-Mak

you rock. i'm jealous. what you doing with the old car? ?????

I haven't figured that out yet (I might keep it, I might not). It's relatively low milage but a lot of those are NYC city miles (aka the worst roads imaginable). The same roadways turned several of my previous (Japanese I might add) cars into piles of squeaking, rattling junk after roughly the same number of year/miles. That said, it has been very well taken care of and has been garaged, so people keep asking me, even today, if I just got it. It's still a really nice car, if I don't keep it, hopefully it find a nice home.

-Mak

Congrats! I'm really jealous.

My 03 CTS is a little over 5 years old and has been almost perfect. I don't regret (well a little regret) trading my 98 Vett for it.

I can hardly wait for your delivery, pictures and details on your driving experiences with the new CTS.

Maybe I can talk my wife out of a vacation and into an 08 CTS a year from now.

makfu

Congratulations on your order! I found out last night the one I ordered two weeks ago was being painted yesterday and is supposed to be ready for shipment this Friday. Mine's Crystal Red with light titanium interior, SIDI, PDQ and Y42. With a little luck, I may have it sometime next week.

NOS,

Why are you saying he should wait for thr '09? Just a question of first year reliability or what?

Yessir! First year models seem to get a lot of reworked parts. IE. They're production parts that have been temporarily reworked until a future engineering rework can be made to make the parts absolutely perfect.

Yessir! First year models seem to get a lot of reworked parts. IE. They're production parts that have been temporarily reworked until a future engineering rework can be made to make the parts absolutely perfect.

I am not terribly worried about it. My current CTS has proven quite reliable and was one of the first 500 off the line. So much time is spent in engineering (using CAD based FEA) and pre-production that a lot of issues are worked out before hand. In this day and age, you can't use the whole first year / monday car arguments anymore. Either the car is engineered and assembled reasonably right from production car 1, or you might as well pack it in.

Will year two see some fixes and improvements? Sure. So will years 3, 4 and 5. Having bought several early first year cars, I can tell you that it's the company's comittment to getting it right that matters (infact the most problem prone cars I have ever owned were 2nd and 3rd year cars).

-Mak

makfu

Congratulations on your order! I found out last night the one I ordered two weeks ago was being painted yesterday and is supposed to be ready for shipment this Friday. Mine's Crystal Red with light titanium interior, SIDI, PDQ and Y42. With a little luck, I may have it sometime next week.

I almost went with the Crystal Red. Please post pics when you get it and congrats!

-Mak

Just to let everyone know, I found out today the B20 wood trim is not available right now. Mine was supposed to have it but won't. I'd rather not have it given the choice. It was just part of the PDQ package. I'd prefer holding leather instead of wood. Also, it doesn't get scratched by rings. Also got my VIN today.

Just to let everyone know, I found out today the B20 wood trim is not available right now. Mine was supposed to have it but won't. I'd rather not have it given the choice. It was just part of the PDQ package. I'd prefer holding leather instead of wood. Also, it doesn't get scratched by rings. Also got my VIN today.

Congrats, and I'm happy to hear you're not getting wood trim. Though the wood is real wood, I'm not a fan of wood. I like the silver film trim pieces more, especially on an all black or black/white interior.

makfu, I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying there are a bunch of reworks going on with first year cars, more than any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year cars. However, you're getting a stable vehicle with a 100,000 mile warranty.. can't complain about that!