saw the G8 in person

its just another car. It really doesn't do anything for me. the interior is weak. the lines are rather curvy in person not as boxy as pictures have it. I have to wait and see how it does but i think it will do as good as the GTO, but i hope a i am wrong. As the crowds around it where pretty big as people where trying to figure out what it was. it looks like the new emblem is staying. the wheels look nice and under the hood is very clean. Im up in the air about this one. i would have took pics but i didnt expect to see a G8 chillin around.

nothing about it said show car as there was brake dust on the rims and some grime under the hood. under the hood looked like under a Vette. not concepty. The emblem i think it was the new one i rember it being really silvery it could of had red i don't remember now. dammit.

Well I love the G8, it's not perfect but it is a million times better than

the average Acura/Lexus/Mazda or whatever otehr semi-luxury

sedan you compare it to pricewise.

nothing about it said show car as there was brake dust on the rims and some grime under the hood. under the hood looked like under a Vette. not concepty. The emblem i think it was the new one i rember it being really silvery it could of had red i don't remember now. dammit.

Sounds like you need to get another look.

its just another car. It really doesn't do anything for me. the interior is weak. the lines are rather curvy in person not as boxy as pictures have it.

I tend to agree with you. The rear was a real turn off, with the lamps sharing the same shape as the Mitsubishi 3000 2 seater of about 10 years ago. The dash is a repeat of sooo many dashboards. Credit to the front end for general restraint and good taste.

I keep saying over and over that if the GP had gotten a better make over than it did in 2004 and it were RWD, it might have fetched more aficionados. Instead, it alientated people from the 97-03 run, except for the fleet crowds. The best thing about it is sitting behind its provocatively shaped dash which will be ho-hum in the upcoming G8.

And the funny thing is, I am the opposite! This may be the first Pontiac to get me into the showroom since the '92 Turbo Trans Am! This car is absolutely beautiful! And finally - something I have waited for since 1996 - a RWD sedan with room in it other than the CTS. THANK GOD!!!

And the funny thing is, I am the opposite! This may be the first Pontiac to get me into the showroom since the '92 Turbo Trans Am! This car is absolutely beautiful! And finally - something I have waited for since 1996 - a RWD sedan with room in it other than the CTS. THANK GOD!!!

Funny, my Pontiac buying days are over, but then I think Pontiac's days are numbered anyway.

I tend to agree with you. The rear was a real turn off, with the lamps sharing the same shape as the Mitsubishi 3000 2 seater of about 10 years ago. The dash is a repeat of sooo many dashboards. Credit to the front end for general restraint and good taste.

I keep saying over and over that if the GP had gotten a better make over than it did in 2004 and it were RWD, it might have fetched more aficionados. Instead, it alientated people from the 97-03 run, except for the fleet crowds. The best thing about it is sitting behind its provocatively shaped dash which will be ho-hum in the upcoming G8.

yeah, those W bodies are so hot.

For some reason the more I look at the G8, the less excited I become. The mechanicals are great and I'll bet the car is better quality than my 2001 Grand Prix but the styling of the car does'nt make me want to go run and trade it in, looks like I will be keeping it until something more appealing style wise comes about, if that ever happens....

Edited by REDO1GPGT

What gets me is that some people seem to think the Alpha-based G6 would be bigger than the G8.

It was silver. If you were at the Causley Cruise, it was a silver arrow. I went to another website and saw photos.

If I was in the market for a sedan, I would definitely trade in my GTO for a G8. I think the only gripe alot of people here have, is that it was designed in Australia by Holden. I think it looks more aggressive than the 97-03 Grand Prix, with better proportions. I won't even compare it to the 04+ Grand Prix, because that car does absolutely nothing for me, and looks odd from many angles, especially the 3/4ths size spoiler. The G6 is much more tame looking, doesn't have near the mechanicals the G8 has, and there has been nowhere near the uproar that there is on the G8. What recent Pontiac has been aggressive? G5? G6? Torrent? Grand Prix? The answer is none of them. Yet everyone is in an uproar over the G8, the only one with the goods to back it up(RWD 6.0L 6 speed manual). No wonder why GM abandoned the RWD market long ago. It seems like buyers that want RWD cars, on C&G at least, are the most finicky buyers of all. Not only that, but they are the most vocal about bringing RWD back. When GM attempts to do so, they nip it in the bud, and doom the car before it is even released. The perfect example is the launch of the GTO. Pontiac mags, which are big advocates of RWD, printed so much negativity about the GTO that it was doomed to fail.

The only effect that I can see the uproar having is either swaying GM away from making RWD cars, or worse, leading to the death of Pontiac

If I was in the market for a sedan, I would definitely trade in my GTO for a G8. I think the only gripe alot of people here have, is that it was designed in Australia by Holden. I think it looks more aggressive than the 97-03 Grand Prix, with better proportions. I won't even compare it to the 04+ Grand Prix, because that car does absolutely nothing for me, and looks odd from many angles, especially the 3/4ths size spoiler. The G6 is much more tame looking, doesn't have near the mechanicals the G8 has, and there has been nowhere near the uproar that there is on the G8. What recent Pontiac has been aggressive? G5? G6? Torrent? Grand Prix? The answer is none of them. Yet everyone is in an uproar over the G8, the only one with the goods to back it up(RWD 6.0L 6 speed manual). No wonder why GM abandoned the RWD market long ago. It seems like buyers that want RWD cars, on C&G at least, are the most finicky buyers of all. Not only that, but they are the most vocal about bringing RWD back. When GM attempts to do so, they nip it in the bud, and doom the car before it is even released. The perfect example is the launch of the GTO. Pontiac mags, which are big advocates of RWD, printed so much negativity about the GTO that it was doomed to fail.

The only effect that I can see the uproar having is either swaying GM away from making RWD cars, or worse, leading to the death of Pontiac

Yes, but it won't come to that.

This car is going to do well in the market.

I still like this vehicle. It's not really meant to be flashy. That's what the next GTO will be for.

I have no doubt this will sell better then the GTO for one major reason: it has four doors. Coupes (especially coupes with names most people aren't familiar with) aren't just that popular enough in the US/Canada to bring huge profits to any automaker. The Mustang and the upcoming Camaro are the exceptions because they have deep-rooted ties to the best of American automobiles.

This will still have clean yet attractive styling, a great engine, a great interior (feel greatful GM kept it), and enough room that you can take it on long trips with a family.

Funny, my Pontiac buying days are over, but then I think Pontiac's days are numbered anyway.

Yes, you'll buy an ugly, outdated, poorly proportioned, FWD, rental queen that's a pathetic excuse for a Pontiac, though. The G8 is truer to Pontiac than your Grand Prix will ever be.

Yes, you'll buy an ugly, outdated, poorly proportioned, FWD, rental queen that's a pathetic excuse for a Pontiac, though. The G8 is truer to Pontiac than your Grand Prix will ever be.

Hmmm..

Toss up for me-it' not as great as it could be-but much better than almost any current Pontiac....

I think the G8 is a gorgeous car inside and out... its proportions,

styling, performance, curb appeal & mechanical superiority will

win over many customers that have strayed from Pontiac's

recent mediocre FWD products as well as new customers who

never would have seen themselves in a Pontiac otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BV, when you talk like that you make my heart go pitter pat. :wub:

The biggest problem is that your regular Joe in the street won't know this Pontiac from any other car because Pontiac dosen't have any real brand ID except the grille. The name I think will also hurt the car because it lacks the coolness of Grand Prix or Bonneville. G8,G6,G5, outside of GM lovers like us who will know the difference without a visit to the dealership?

The biggest problem is that your regular Joe in the street won't know this Pontiac from any other car because Pontiac dosen't have any real brand ID except the grille. The name I think will also hurt the car because it lacks the coolness of Grand Prix or Bonneville. G8,G6,G5, outside of GM lovers like us who will know the difference without a visit to the dealership?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most automakers' most prominant brand identity is in their grilles. BMW, Mercedes, BMW, etc. etc. etc. This car does have brand identity. The stigma that the car will need to get over is the droll American unreliable stigma that plagues the them right now. A stigma that is unjust if you ask me.

Argeed about alpha-numerics. They need to DIE.

G5 G6 G8... what's next...? rename the Solstice G1? <_<