Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Now.. the Ninety Eight will need a paint job

27 posts in this topic

It is Saturday. It started off wrong. I went outdoors, and my neighbor did his usual cutting his yard. It was worse this time on the Toronado. When he cuts his lawn, mysteriously, the grass from his yard and debris from his blower ends up all over the Toronado. I really do not know this man. I know he works for the postal service. I have never said or done anything to him. He sometimes put trash in my yard when he cuts his lawn. Trash that was placed there by someone walking down the street.

As I was washing the two cars, something bad happened. I was washing the back of the Ninety Eight and the paint all came off the back bumper. It looks bad, but what could I do. This now means instead of painting one car( Toronado), I will have to get both cars painted. That is all I really needed. I will not ask what else could go wrong, because I know more can. I then went back out after the cars dried. There are scratches all over the trunk on the Ninety Eight. I know I did not do it. This is really getting old, and keeps costing me money. You cannot just "paint" the back bumper. The whole car has to be repainted. This is getting beyond ridiculous too.

I say the last part because for a year as of this month, I have experienced hell on earth. I will not even write "everything" that has gone wrong, broken needs to be replaced, and any other thing "negative" I have experienced since August 2006.

You keep moving forward hoping for better days ahead.

Scratches as in delamination? My factory paint on the Aurora suffers from that, too.

Is the Ninety-eight a car you have a great personal attachment to? I'd be tempted not to bother with a repaint, and just let it go til I replace the vehicle... plus it'd give you a car to park in the more "at-risk" spots by the neighbor...

Scratches as in delamination? My factory paint on the Aurora suffers from that, too.

What does yours look like? I am curious....

Is the Ninety-eight a car you have a great personal attachment to? I'd be tempted not to bother with a repaint, and just let it go til I replace the vehicle... plus it'd give you a car to park in the more "at-risk" spots by the neighbor...

Purdue Guy: I plan on keeping my Ninety Eight and driving it. Yes, it has value to me. They do not make them or Oldsmobiles any longer. GM has nothing that appeals to me that is like my Ninety Eight. The only product that does is not at GM. It is a Lincoln. It is equal to what I have now.

I may have to invest in a car cover or figure out some way to park my car.

Parking has become a nightmare with 4 cars. Out driveway ONLY fits the electra. There is just enough room for 3 cars on the street but the back bumper on the sebring got dinged cause its such a tight fit. The breeze was down the block til it gets fixed but it back in front of the house. Gave it a full cleaning inside and out.

Do you park the car in the shade? Direct sunlight will wreak havoc on paint.

I park in the sunlight and shade. The house shades the Ninety Eight, and the Toronado is in direct sunlight, and the paint has not peeled or cracked or anything. At work it is direct sunlight because there are no trees in the parking area. I cannot use the garage on my house because it is not my house. My landlord parks his big white Ford Econoline van in the garage.

The clearcoat on the bumpers of my Lumina has slowly been stripping off for a couple of years. Of course, it's not garaged and sees an extreme of weather from 100 degree sun to -20 degree frigid snowstorms.

Edited by mustang84

Would your landlord let you put up something like this just to keep the sun off? The sell them for around $100 around here.

Posted Image

Sadly, no. I do appreciate your thoughts and efforts. Until I am ready to buy my own home, I am stuck.

Sadly, no. I do appreciate your thoughts and efforts. Until I am ready to buy my own home, I am stuck.

Man, I know that feeling.

I can't seem to hide my cars anywhere.... :nono:

Man, I know that feeling.

I can't seem to hide my cars anywhere.... :nono:

Ditto ... for my '87 MC LS.

My goodness ... it keeps getting worse, but I expected it. Actually, I think it hasn't gotten as bad as I thought it would've by now. But, it is still damn frustrating. Luckily, the older 4 have a garage ... unless I have 'em out driving ;).

Sorry about what happened, Ninety Eight. Perhaps, though, you might consider not doing any repaints, etc., until after you get your own house ... and/or garage....?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Count your blessings now 'fore they're long gone" ... Pink ... 'Who Knew'

What does yours look like? I am curious....

It depends on how the sun strikes it, but imagine a multitude of tiny hairline scratches visible under certain light. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow or when it cools down here in December.

I was deciding what color the Ninety Eight will be. I have a book and a magazine here in the house, and it had pictures of a Black Sapphire Blue Ninety Eight. I could paint both cars the same color and leave it at that or paint the Toronado Black Sapphire Blue and the Ninety Eight the color it is now. The thing with the Ninety Eight is, they stopped offering Black Sapphire Blue after 1993. I plan on keeping the car, so I figured it would not matter. The one in my avatar on this website is black sapphire blue.

Black Sapphire Blue Toronado:

Posted Image

Black Sapphire Blue Ninety Eight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry to hear about your paint woes and other troubles, believe me, these past few weeks have been an absolute mess...especially with cars.

What color is your Ninety Eight now? I like the Black Sapphire Blue.

I hate scratches...the big ones are obviously the worst, but those little "swirl" scratches are so annoying.

Parking has become a nightmare with 4 cars. Out driveway ONLY fits the electra. There is just enough room for 3 cars on the street but the back bumper on the sebring got dinged cause its such a tight fit. The breeze was down the block til it gets fixed but it back in front of the house. Gave it a full cleaning inside and out.

You're fixing the Breeze after all?

Go for flat black...doesn't show scratches as bad as dark blue.

I gotta say, you should keep it the colour it is now.

Any reason why you feel that way?? I am curious to hear what you think. I like the blue that it is now, I just wish it wwre darker.

Sorry to hear about your paint woes and other troubles, believe me, these past few weeks have been an absolute mess...especially with cars.

What color is your Ninety Eight now? I like the Black Sapphire Blue.

I hate scratches...the big ones are obviously the worst, but those little "swirl" scratches are so annoying.

Thank you for your concern. It is getting a little old since bad things have been happening consistently since August 2006. This month made a year. I keep the right attitude, and remain positive, but it gets old when nothing good is happening, and you still have to press onward and forward. You begin to think what did I do to deserve this, in most cases like mine, you did nothing. It is just the time to go through a "rainy season". You keep hope and press forward.

Here is a photo of the color. All that back bumper you see.. The paint is all gone.

Posted Image

As for the scratches, it looks like someone took a pen or something and went over the trunk. You cannot hide this stuff. I do not know how it got there. The Toronado has no scratches on it.

Go for flat black...doesn't show scratches as bad as dark blue.

Black shows dirt here. I did want a black Ninety Eight from day one, but I became a fan of blue over time.

Dark blue is a difficult color to keep looking nice. Even with a garage and parking in parking garages at work, over the years my '00 Grand Cherokee has it's fair share of scratches, chips, and a couple of dents. And it shows dust and dirt easily.

The paint shouldn't suddenly just "come off" your bumper. Does the paint have a "shattered" look to it? If so, it is possible your bumper has been painted before and it was hit in a parking lot somewhere, the non-factory paint just cracks off when the plastic bumper cover is flexed, especially if the paint shop didn't use a flex additive when mixing their paint. Could you take a picture and post it of the bumper? Maybe I can help diagnose it. Another question: why on earth do you believe you have to repaint the whole car just for the bumper cover damage?

The paint shouldn't suddenly just "come off" your bumper. Does the paint have a "shattered" look to it? If so, it is possible your bumper has been painted before and it was hit in a parking lot somewhere, the non-factory paint just cracks off when the plastic bumper cover is flexed, especially if the paint shop didn't use a flex additive when mixing their paint. Could you take a picture and post it of the bumper? Maybe I can help diagnose it. Another question: why on earth do you believe you have to repaint the whole car just for the bumper cover damage?

I think the car had been repainted before I bought it. It is funny you say that. I noticed something on the front left fender when I bought the car. The front left fender underneath the hood is the same color as my first Ninety Eight. I said this car has been repainted or in an accident. The fender may have come off another Ninety Eight. The blue that it is does not look dark as the blue in the 1995 brochure. I pulled out the brochure to check when I was looking to see when Black Sapphire Blue was offered. As for the reason for painting the whole car:

When I took the Toronado in to get an quote( exact cost) with the 1992 brochure and what I needed to do, I asked about the Ninety Eight too. I told them about scratches on the right hand side that got there because of my former ghetto fabulous neighbor. She used to open the door on her white 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier and it scratched up my right side of my car. My current neighbor who is a school teacher has never touched, scratched my car. She drives a 1998 Toyota Corolla. I tried to fix it with touch up paint. It did not work so well. I was so glad when she moved. The whole right side is scratched up. Then, there are the scratches on the trunk, cat claw size scratches on the right side on the right rear fender. On the front left fender, there looks like a patch is missing for a poor paint job. I hid that one well. The the right rear chrome trim needs to be put back into place. I told them all of that. They said you will have to have those areas repainted. You cannot just "fix those scratches" because they are too deep.

The car has been very good to me so far mechanically inside and out. It looks good cosmetically up to a point. If you noticed when I took the photos , I never took photos of the right side or those areas I mentioned in this post.

I was going to just have them touch it up after I got the Toronado back. I knew it was going to be less than a total paint job. What happen yesterday changed all of that.

Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated.

Man, that sucks :(

Black is always a nice colour, and I think it looks very, very cool in larger cars like the 98. However it does show every grain of dust/sand that happens to land in the paint.

Re your first post, I can tell you from personal experience that when bad stuff starts happening and doesn't seem to let go of you, that 'when it rains it pours' expression suddenly has a very clear meaning... face those "negative" things as learning experiences :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by ZL-1

[

Man, that sucks :(

Black is always a nice colour, and I think it looks very, very cool in larger cars like the 98. However it does show every grain of dust/sand that happens to land in the paint.

Re your first post, I can tell you from personal experience that when bad stuff starts happening and doesn't seem to let go of you, that 'when it rains it pours' expression suddenly has a very clear meaning... face those "negative" things as learning experiences :AH-HA_wink:

I can appreciate what you are saying. I really can. It has been raining for a year now... There is a lesson from this. It teaches to treasure the good times, and you develop patience and a thick skin. I just sat and laughed at the things have been going on Sunday night. It has not stopped either. More bad stuff yesterday. It will cost me more money too.

I can appreciate what you are saying. I really can. It has been raining for a year now... There is a lesson from this. It teaches to treasure the good times, and you develop patience and a thick skin. I just sat and laughed at the things have been going on Sunday night. It has not stopped either. More bad stuff yesterday. It will cost me more money too.

If you can find it in you to laugh about it, I'd say you're on the right path. It's good to have a positive coping mechanism, and laughing is one of the best! Edited by ZL-1

If you can find it in you to laugh about it, I'd say you're on the right path. It's good to have a positive coping mechanism, and laughing is one of the best!

That is all I can do and press onward and forward. Getting upset is not going to change anything. It cannot stay like this forever.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0