FRANKFURT: 2008 Chevrolet Aveo5

This MCE doesn't address the engine/MPG problem which is the Aveo's major downfall.

And you know this from the complete absence of any information about powertrain for the NA market? The European models at least get a new, more powerful 1.2 L and a more powerful version of the current 1.4 L. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.6 L was improved as well, it just doesn't apply to the European market.

Not an entirely successful update on this car. I agree with the person who said that the grill is a bad interpretation of the grill on the Groove concept car. While the grill on the Groove was the correct size in proportion to the rest of the vehicle, the Aveo's new grill is a bit too overwhelming for the front of the car. I also think the small front fender vent is a little ridiculous looking. Also, what is up with the flat flap door handles? The 2007 Aveo sedan has the ergonomically correct pull type door handles. Why not put these door handles on the hatchback? I have seen other Daewoo imports (Suzuki Forenza and Reno) change to the pull type door handles during a mid-cycle refresh; why could it not have been done to the Aveo hatchback?

Why did it take so long to bring this refresh to market? It appears as though the front end and interior were all that were changed.

I think that Chevy (Daewoo) should have left this car go on as it was and used the time, money, and talent (I use the term "talent" very loosely in this case) to bring a proper version of the Groove out to replace it.

How were these power increases obtained; lower internal friction, increased displacement,more advanced fuel management, etc.??

This is just teaser information. Details to follow on debut. For the 1.4 I would expect something such as higher compression ratio, new cam etc. The Daewoo version is already a slightly wider bore than the standard GM Family 1 1.4 L (1399 v 1389 cc). GM Europe is no longer updating this engine, having switched to the smaller Family 0 block (lower displacement 90 PS), while GM do Brasil uses high compression SOHC versions tuned to fuel with a minimum 20–25% alcohol (89–99 PS E20, up to 105 PS E100).

I'm sorry, but doesn't anyone see that these pics look fake?? Look at the Bowtie emblem in each shot, it doesn't look REAL compared to everything else in the shot. I think this is an elaborate fake...

These are official pics from Chevrolet Europe, which doesn't mean they have not been retouched. Edited by thegriffon

Poderia ser mais mau, ele poderia ser Holden. :AH-HA_wink:

Mas esta 'coisa' é um Holden Barina, certo?... Já é pior! :lol:

Você devia deixar os pobres dos Australianos em paz: se eles forem o principal centro de desenvolvimento de produtos RWD na GM, ainda há hipótese de eu me convencer a comprar um Cadillac pequeno daqui a uns anos (se as coisas correrem bem e eu sair de Lisboa depois de acabar o Masters). Eu gosto do BLS, mas como produto FWD/AWD prefiro o Saab 9-3 SportCombi.

Edited by ZL-1

"English M*ther F*cker! Do you speak it?!"

I speak English, but since we're supposed to write in a message board why not another language now and then? :smilewide:

EDIT1 - I can provide translations for a small fee. I take US dollars :spin:

EDIT2 - @ PCS: talar du svenska? jag behöver att träffa folk för att öva svenska.

Edited by ZL-1

And you know this from the complete absence of any information about powertrain for the NA market? The European models at least get a new, more powerful 1.2 L and a more powerful version of the current 1.4 L. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.6 L was improved as well, it just doesn't apply to the European market.

I don't know anything, I was going by your original post that stated the two new engines were not applicable to NA and since you didn't hint at any new powertrains for NA I assumed there would not be any changes.

@ZL-1: Pedro, jag älskar dig! :AH-HA_wink:

:rotflmao: I see a sense of humour in your Holden-hating person! There might be a problem, though: I don't play for that team :AH-HA_wink:

Where did you get that sentence from?

EDIT1 - edited to replace 'for' where I wrote 'fer'. Writing 'fer' means I'm watching too many American Chopper re-runs. I'm starting to write like Paul Sr. would :lol:

EDIT2 - @ cyclonic: believe me there's not much to read in my or PCS' posts that isn't nonsense :smilewide:

I do agree it looks like crap, but someone at GMI posted that he/she saw a test mule and that it looked good IRL, so who knows? Maybe it's just another case of GM photography not doing justice to GM's product: 2-pedal manual G6 interior shot comes to mind everytime I see GM photos :lol:

Edited by ZL-1

:rotflmao: I see a sense of humour in your Holden-hating person! There might be a problem, though: I don't play for that team :AH-HA_wink:

Where did you get that sentence from?

EDIT1 - edited to replace 'for' where I wrote 'fer'. Writing 'fer' means I'm watching too many American Chopper re-runs. I'm starting to write like Paul Sr. would :lol:

EDIT2 - @ cyclonic: believe me there's not much to read in my or PCS' posts that isn't nonsense :smilewide:

I do agree it looks like crap, but someone at GMI posted that he/she saw a test mule and that it looked good IRL, so who knows? Maybe it's just another case of GM photography not doing justice to GM's product: 2-pedal manual G6 interior shot comes to mind everytime I see GM photos :lol:

Ok ZL-1, i'll take your word on that! :) I still think the car is horrid though. You can't polish a turd...

Not a big fan of the redesign. It's well overexaggerrated, but then again it could be crappy photography. The current Sedan fascia is more muscular, while adding style to the subcompact market. I wouldn't mind this front end as much if they toned it down just slightly to not have such a huge gaping hole!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GM @ Frankfurt

2008 Chevrolet Aveo5

Posted Image

• Hatchback and notchback models to bear same name in future
  • Striking exterior and high-class interior
  • Two petrol engines with 84 and 98 hp; manual or automatic transmission
Zurich - Chevrolet Europe’s success story began with the Kalos in 2002. In 2006, the compact-class model range was extended with the introduction of the Aveo hatchback wagon. Since 2002, GM’s value brand has sold more than 381,000 vehicles in this compact series to customers throughout Europe. These key models have, in turn, made a significant contribution to Chevrolet’s success in the first half of 2007, when the brand chalked up a total of 215,315 unit sales across Europe, achieving a market share of some 1.8 per cent – its best performance to date.

Chevrolet Europe will present the Kalos’ successor at the Frankfurt Motor Show (13 to 23 September 2007). The most significant features of this completely reworked model are its striking exterior, its high-class interior and a new, even more efficient petrol engine. Like its notchback stable mate, the new hatchback model will now bear the Aveo name throughout Europe. The five-door hatchback model will be first to hit European showrooms (in March 2008), followed by the three-door model a few weeks later. Like all Chevrolets, the new Aveo will stand out for its excellent value for money.

The Aveo hatchback sports Chevrolet’s new design features, as characterised by the big horizontally split radiator grille with a body-coloured crossbeam and the brand logo sitting prominently in the center. The dynamic detailing includes large, curved clear-glass headlamps and fog lamps that project like spotlights from the lower part of the bumper. The bonnet follows the lines of the radiator grille. Eye-catching contours, which flow from the bonnet to the A-pillar, highlight the sporty look.

Additional indicators in the side sections in front of the exterior mirrors enhance safety. In profile, the body’s prominent shoulder lines catch the eye, as does their dynamic beading that sweeps from the front to the rear door. The back of the car is dominated by the solid bumper and the round tail lamps in a clear-glass housing.

The modern and high-quality instrument panel is divided into four chrome-trimmed controls and a centre console with striking air vents, a fully integrated audio unit, and large, user-friendly air-conditioning dials. The smooth plastic surfaces and the soft-touch finish of both the instrument panel and the upper half of the door panel are pleasant to the touch.

The new Aveo has grown slightly and is four centimetres longer than its predecessor.

The Aveo offers a choice of two petrol engines: a new 1.2-litre unit with two overhead camshafts and an output of 84 hp, and the existing 1.4-litre engine, which now develops 98 hp and is available with automatic transmission.

Both engines are even more frugal than their predecessors when it comes to fuel consumption. Despite the fact that its performance has improved by 12 hp, for example, the basic engine will now consume roughly 6 per cent less fuel in the MVEG fuel efficiency comparison.

Image Gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Go to full release and teaser photos at AutoReport

You've GOT to be kidding me.......hideous is all I have to say for the Aveo.

I'd rather have an Accent or a Rio.....(not to mention a Fit or Yaris.)

Can't wait till Ford brings the new Fiesta over here.......

You've GOT to be kidding me.......hideous is all I have to say for the Aveo.

I'd rather have an Accent or a Rio.....(not to mention a Fit or Yaris.)

Can't wait till Ford brings the new Fiesta over here.......

And why does that not surprise me?

There's no news here: the sedan was 'redesigned' for 2007: the interior materials were greatly improved. The black panels look quite nice. All GM is doing is slapping the 'face' from the 2007 sedan onto the 2008 5 door as well. These cars in 5 spd form are almost spritely; in automatic form, less so.

Nobody driving a Bimmer or CTS is going to be impressed by these cars. That's fine: there are legions of people out there (my partner, for example) that simply don't like 'large cars'. By 'large,' I mean even vehicles like the Malibu or Sonata.

Since both our countries are being over-run by people from such countries, it is only prudent that GM freshens up its line up with these micr-cars to tap into that market.

Still, I would yearn for the cars GM showed us at the New York Auto Show.

I know this is a very minor gripe, but the appearance and placement of the front fender vent on this Aveo is shockingly similar to the one on the 2008 Cadillac CTS. I know smaller cars usually try to mimic more expensive cars in a corporation's hierarchy, but allowing the lowly Aveo to sport a Cadillac design element cheapens the image of the design element for Cadillac. If they want to slap one of these unnecessary things on an Aveo, fine; just don't make it look this identical to the one you have put on your redesigned Cadillac luxury product. If you want Cadillac to regain its "Standard Of The World" status, keep their design elements strictly within the brand and don't use them on a bottom feeder, Daewoo engineered product offered by your affordable mainstream brand. Imagine someone going down the road in their beautiful 2008 CTS and they pull up beside this Aveo with the exact same design element mocking them; how proud is this person going to feel about their Cadillac? I know image and class perception is a very superficial (and usually stupid) part of society, but unfortunately it is something that does exist and must be dealt with by automobile manufacturers. You don't see BMW putting a double kidney grille on a Mini or Mercedes putting a three pointed star on a Smart.

First the front wheel drive Saab derived Epsilon "B" series cars (sedan and wagon), then this. Sometimes you just want to slap someone at GM/Cadillac on the back of the head and yell "What in the holy name of Cimarron are you trying to do!?" They claim they want to make inroads in the European luxury market, then they make decisions that undermine their ability to make an impact. Commit to the mission and follow through; and by all means, don't let Chevrolet/Daewoo derail you from your destination.

Edited by cire