Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

MUTT LANGE APPRECIATION THREAD !!!!!!

http://www.robertjohnmuttlange.com/

POUR ...SOME.... SUGAR.... ON MAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Mutt Lange did have one other album out of the 1970's that was of considerable importance. AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" which was released in 1979. However, with the death of lead singer Bon Scott just months after the release, AC/DC seemed to be in a bind. However, Mutt Lange's trademark "big drum, big guitar" on AC/DC's 1980 follow-up, "Back In Black", more than made up for the loss of Scott at least as far as album sales. "Back In Black" has sold over 21 million copies in the United States thus far. Mutt Lange and AC/DC struck again in 1981 with "For Those About To Rock We Salute You", an album which launched AC/DC into superstardom and made Mutt Lange one of the most sought after record producers in the business.

Well, if you have manage to read this far you must think that Mutt Lange is the closest thing to the world's finest music producer. Although life in the studio with Mutt Lange reaps multi-platinum results, the same life can also present its own form of misery. Mutt Lange has been described as "a brilliant totalitarian record producer", "a guy who just made us do it over and over and over . . . ", but perhaps most accurately "slow and meticulous".

Def Leppard finally broke ties with Mutt Lange after 1992's "Adrenalize because the band members felt that they were trapped in the studio. Their albums, in particular 1987's "Hysteria" and 1992's "Adrenalize," took years to record, with each layer carefully added. While the band is very proud of those records, the studio process with "Mutt Lange" became so arduous that Def Lep guitarist, Phil Collen, says he seriously considered quitting the band. Collen is quoted as saying "I spent four years in the studio making `Hysteria,' and it got to the point where I'd go to the loo so I could just get out of the room. I'd get coffee and go, `I don't want to go back in there. It's worse than working in a factory.' We'd spend months doing the same guitar riff. We started doing that again on `Adrenalize,' and it wasn't valid at that point. That was some kind of turning point." In fact, Collen also had to redo Steve Clark's last guitar work to bring the album up to snuff.

Regardless, Def Leppard probably would have never made it to the extent they did if it weren't for Mutt Lange. They know it, and yes, they are still friends despite the break-up. It seems that even the people that do have negative comments toward Mutt Lange still have the utmost admiration for the man and his abilities. It is basically a matter of working with him. Bryan Adams once joked: "Mutt Lange could work with my mom and have a hit record."

Edited by regfootball

AC/DC and Mutt Lange was the marriage. Def Leppard and Mutt Lange was the honeymoon.

Whenever I need to listen to musical perfection, I crank up Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' (the track) because from the solo from 3:09 to 3:48 literally has to be the most flawless 39 seconds in musical history. I could listen to that piece of music for days, and still sit in awe, just because the drums, bass, and guitar sound... so... perfect.

Plus, he married Shania Twain. So he's pretty damn awesome. :)

I like the Mutt... I've long been an AC/DC and Def Leppard fan (20+ years).

Speaking of POUR ...SOME.... SUGAR.... ON MAY, I drunkenly kareoked this song, Hysteria, and Back in Black (with William Shatner enunciation and dramatics) at the 3rd Annual Drunken Canadian Horseshoe Tournament and BBQ 2 years ago.. one of my former coworkers has it on video...truly horrifying. The 5th Annual DCHT&B is coming up this Saturday here in Denver..fun, fun, fun...the Jaegermeister, Kokanee, and Canadian Rye will flow freely.

My favorite producers are probably Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, and Rick Rubin.

I THINK MUTT COULD JUMP START THE HOFFER'S MUSIC CAREER

you ever listen to 'can't stop this thing we started' by brian adams?

OMG, each programmed drum beat is pure heaven!

SPLOOSH! SPLOOSH!

in fact, that whole brian adams album is pure overproduced lusty pop! that album saw heavy rotation in my favorites for at least 2 years.

the song 'house arrest' has perhaps some of the most perfect cowbell i have ever heard. mutt loves cowbell by the way.

note that over time, many producers have tried to perfect that glossy mutt sound.

some albums that have the mutt / def leppard sound

'love among the cannibals' starship

'waking up the neighbours' brian adams

some tracks on heart 'brigade' (although it lacks the fake drum sound).

def leppard's post mutt albums, many still sound like mutt

Edited by regfootball

I THINK MUTT COULD JUMP START THE HOFFER'S MUSIC CAREER

you ever listen to 'can't stop this thing we started' by brian adams?

OMG, each programmed drum beat is pure heaven!

SPLOOSH! SPLOOSH!

in fact, that whole brian adams album is pure overproduced lusty pop! that album saw heavy rotation in my favorites for at least 2 years.

the song 'house arrest' has perhaps some of the most perfect cowbell i have ever heard. mutt loves cowbell by the way.

note that over time, many producers have tried to perfect that glossy mutt sound.

some albums that have the mutt / def leppard sound

'love among the cannibals' starship

'waking up the neighbours' brian adams

some tracks on heart 'brigade' (although it lacks the fake drum sound).

def leppard's post mutt albums, many still sound like mutt

Listen to 'Waking Up the Neighbours", then listen to "Adrenalize" by Def Leppard. They're practically the same album. I got to see both Bryan Adams and Def Leppard in concert a couple of years ago. It was a surprisingly good show from start to finish. Adams is really underrated for his songwriting ability.

yes, you may!

i still remember where i was the first time i heard shania's whose bed have your boot been under video. I was back att college for a wkd visitng a buddy and we went to the bar. i saw the video on the screen and was instantly amazed and mesmerized. I had seen some of her first album videos but when i saw her new video with the red dress my jaw just dropped and was speechless. i felt something within myself, and it made me think something big was going to come out of all of this.

i've been having muttlange fest all afternoon. def lepperd and bryan adams a plenty. i will be hearing drum machines in my head all night. All perfectly programmed.

SPLOOSH!

SPLOOSH!

SPLOOSH!

I'm listening to White Sister's '86 album Fashion By Passion...talk about some serious sploosh action on "April." Sounds like a Mutt song.

Drum machines never get old.

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

artists that mutt lange should produce

KISS

POISON

GNR

VAN HALEN

RATT

BRITNEY (KFED TOO)

It's funny you say that, because I was thinking about what Van Halen would sound like if they were produced by Mutt Lange. Too be honest, I actually think it'd sound pretty horrific. 5150-on was already pretty slickly produced, and I'm sure Mutt's sound would make Van Hagar sound pretty artificial, and the fanbase would've just left in disgust. Hell, people were spitting-mad about keyboards when 1984 came out.

Guns n' Roses Illusions albums were already over-produced, and we know what happened with that.

RATT was produced by Beau Hill, and considering Beau Hill was the 'Timbaland' of hair metal, I think RATT sounds just fine without any more processing.

Guns n' Roses Illusions albums were already over-produced, and we know what happened with that.

I always thought Appetite sounded pretty underproduced, which wasn't a bad thing necessarily because it stood out at the time. The guy who produced it was Mike Clink, who also did Megadeth's Rust in Peace album...and you can tell it was him because earlier albums had that big drum sound and then his was a lot flatter.

I'm glad Metallica dumped Bob Rock for Rick Rubin...Bob was good early on with the Black Album, Blue Murder, and Dr. Feelgood, but St. Anger was just awful. It'd be cool if they went back to Flemming Rasmussen.

Thanks BV, I like it too. I'd buy GT4 if they ever put it out for PC, which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.