Chrysler Unveils new model at Woodward

Flybrian

Chrysler rolls out special edition of PT Cruiser
Posted Image
Josee Valcourt | Link to Original Article @ The Detroit News

ROYAL OAK -- Chrysler today rolled out its newest special-edition PT Cruiser with design cues that pay tribute to the famous Sunset Boulevard.

The latest edition, unveiled in the parking lot of Duggan's Irish Pub on Woodward Avenue, joins the Route 66 and Pacific Coast highway versions, which were launched the previous two years about the time of the Dream Cruise. The new PT Cruiser will hit the market this summer.

Chrysler will produce 500 units of the 2008 Sunset Boulevard model, which will come in amber hue and will be accented in chrome.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the manual transaxle version will be $16,650; the automatic transaxle will be $17,475. A $640 destination charge is included in both prices.

Although the PT Cruiser is the oldest model in Chrysler's lineup, the vehicle has accounted for sales of more than 1.2 million since its introduction in 2000.

"It still has this alluring look about it," said Larry Lyons, vice president of Chrysler's front-wheel-drive product team.

California, a trend-setting state, is the lead market for sales of the PT Cruiser, he said.

David Rooney, director of Chrysler Marketing and Global Communications, said the vehicle partly attracts buyers because of its customization appeal.

Stephanie Brinley, an analyst with marketing research firm AutoPacific in Southfield, said the PT Cruiser's retro look is no longer the main reason why it continues to sell.

"The reason it works well is the package is right," Brinley said. "It's easy to get in and out of. You've got plenty of cargo space in the back and it's priced nicely."

This constitutes a "new" model...?

As far as I know, the PT is one of Chrysler's most trouble-free vehicles. The local Chrysler-Jeep dealership closed their bodyshop several years ago, so they send those customers to us, and every time I ask a PT owner, the answer is the same: "I love my PT." It's true, the thing is very easy to get in and out of, and it is versatile. It has one of Chrysler's nicer-trimmed interiors. The price is right, too. What's not to like? It's an innocent little car.

I don't care for those wheels either, but I like the color. No harm done.

Looking at that head on pic, I really miss how the PT Cruiser's grille used to go all the way to the bottom. It really lost something with the refresh.

Posted Image

YES! Thanks for noticing, I feel the same way!!!

The 2006 refresh SUCKS!

If anything they should have made the grille more tall & narrow than before.

This car is supposed to be 1930s retro... not stupidly ambigous.

This is the BEST the PT Ever looked.... circa 2004/2005

Posted Image

And the ugliest edition was probably the Sigourney Weaver's "ALIENS EDITION" :P

Posted Image

I too like the lower bumper/grill of the pre-refreshed model...it looked better that way, but the newer model's interior looks better. I like the color...it's a very nice hue.

Those wheels are nothing special, there's a black one in the dealer showroom with the same exact wheels.

God Almighty, that is a Fugalicious interior. Seems like Chrysler raided some parts and bins of MB -- the center mounted Emergency Lights button.

Automobilemag.com seems to disagree with you.....unless you think the HHR's interior is absolutely horrid? :

It was no secret that Chevy was developing the HHR, so Chrysler went on the defense with a well timed, 2006 upgrade to the aging PT Cruiser. The old girl’s new party dress consists of freshened front and rear fascias, new headlamps, and a different front grill. Chrysler’s stylists fitted the interior with larger gauges, rotating air vents, additional chrome trim, and a very attractive, Chrysler signature analog clock. The stylish steering wheel, the well-designed center console, and a nicer radio also help make the PT Cruiser’s cabin look and feel more upmarket than the HHR’s. A new acoustic package adds refinement and snuffs out additional road noise.

Both the HHR and the PT Cruiser drive well and feature versatile cabins and retro-themed styling. The HHR is the new kid on the block and offers a slightly sportier chassis. The proven PT Cruiser has a much nicer interior than the HHR, but its slightly updated exterior is still an all-too-familiar sight. Since neither of these vehicles is geared toward enthusiast drivers, we’d vote for the PT Cruiser, because it has the nicest cockpit.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/wagon...ler_pt_cruiser/

Automobilemag.com seems to disagree with you.....unless you think the HHR's interior is absolutely horrid? :

Err.. Who mentioned the HHR? This is about the PT, solely. :huh:

The current interior is a huge downgrade from the current. Oh wow... "The stylish steering wheel, the well-designed center console, and a nicer radio", such merits for being a nice interior... Not. It's completely cheap. This is in comparison to the pre-refresh PT. Without the eye-sore that is the center stack and that horrible misplaced dash grip, it would be a decent interior, but still lacking in comparison. The design, as a whole, doesn't mesh together well. It's a complete mess, whereas the previous interior looked properly designed and integrated.

Err.. Who mentioned the HHR? This is about the PT, solely. :huh:

Well, considering it's the PT's main competitor (after GM hired the PT's designer, and said make us what the next PT Cruiser would look like so that Chrysler can't make one), I mentioned the HHR. Why would you not compare the interiors of two vehicles that are direct competitors in the retro compact tall wagon segment??....and in that comparison, that magazine said the PT was better, due to it's much nicer interior.

Well, considering it's the PT's main competitor (after GM hired the PT's designer, and said make us what the next PT Cruiser would look like so that Chrysler can't make one), I mentioned the HHR. Why would you not compare the interiors of two vehicles that are direct competitors in the retro compact tall wagon segment??....and in that comparison, that magazine said the PT was better, due to it's much nicer interior.

That is besides the point. No one was comparing the PT's interior to anything other than the PT, itself. The HHR is completely irrelevant in this conversation. The point was, the current PT's interior was a huge downgrade from the previous one. Simple.

IMO, though, the HHR's is better designed. It may not have a nice steering wheel, that great of a center console, or much brightwork.. but the design is sensible, likable, and best of all: not ugly. :P

A more news worthy item for PT Cruiser enthusiasts would have been a redesigned model on a new platform. Rehashing the current model with new trim editions is not helping this vehicle stay relevant. A completely new, redesigned edition should have come out at least two years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can I have some of what you're smoking? Please? :P

Well when you use those photos yeah...especially since you chose a monotone picture of the current one. The old one does look more swoopy and I do like in some ways better (all the photos I saw of the old until now were poor quality and I've never sat in a pre MCE PT). I think the new one's is cleaner (less cluttered looking).

My real complaint with the interior are the seats...very narrow and uncomfortable...I don't know if all of the seats are like that, butthe ones I sampled were.

Well when you use those photos yeah...especially since you chose a monotone picture of the current one. The old one does look more swoopy and I do like in some ways better (all the photos I saw of the old until now were poor quality and I've never sat in a pre MCE PT). I think the new one's is cleaner (less cluttered looking).

My real complaint with the interior are the seats...very narrow and uncomfortable...I don't know if all of the seats are like that, butthe ones I sampled were.

They're both very monotone, so you can't use that excuse. As for looking less cluttered, I'll give you that the center stack is, but overall the new one is moreso. Just look at all those extra dash cut lines! Not to mention that the center stack also looks like it fits, unlike the new one. :P