SPY SHOTS! 2009 Pontiac Vibe

SPY SHOTS! 2009 Pontiac Vibe

The phrase 'change is the only constant' could accurately describe the state of the Pontiac division as of late. News of a partial or full switch to rear-wheel drive vehicles for the next generation, talk of a new GTO, an Alpha-based G6, and the persistant rumor of GM shuttering the brand completely have only added to the general confusion regarding the performance division. One of the most cryptic futures to be determined was that of the 5-door Vibe wagon. Introduced for 2003, the Vibe was the latest in a line of vehicles created from a partnership between Toyota and General Motors. The Vibe, along with its Toyota Matrix sister, was the first of these cars to be a true collaboration instead of a light rebadge - Toyota supplied the powertrain while GM did much of the design work. Both cars sold well, so well in fact that Matrix production was relocated to Toyota's Cambridge, ONT plant due to capacity issues at the NUMMI factory in Fremont, California.

Fast forward to today where the future of the Vibe was a subject of debate, mainly whether a front-wheel drive vehicle has any place in the 'new' Pontiac. Apparently, it does.

We're happy to be among the first to bring you these very candid shots of the next-generation Pontiac Vibe, courtesy of a poster from GenVibe, a Pontiac Vibe enthusiast site. As you can see, the 2009 Vibe (GMX-126) takes the cladding molt of the 2005 refresh a step further with truly clean bodypanels free of even bodyside moldings. Medium-sized headlamp elements sweep up along the fender as the trend is today with amber directional indicators resting above the white beams. The trademark Pontiac twin-port grille is present and has been squared off in keeping with more recent models. Folding sideview mirrors debut for 2009 as does a subtle beltline dip in the sheetmetal, recalling the lines of the G6. In the rear, the taillamps are stacked and the larger, upper unit appears to contain reverse lamps.

Inside, the interior show improvement from the first-generation with a modest but distinct evolution. The podded gearshift quadrant is now more intergrated with the center floor console and the radio headunit is completely integrated for a cleaner look. The passenger side now features a seamless airbag housing. Over on the driver's side, extra bright electroluminescent displays are housed in three seperate pods - one for the tach, one for the speedometer, and a third offset oval pod for fuel/temp gauges and a driver's info center. Trademark Pontiac red illumination is present in the gauge demarcations. A large Pontiac Arrowhead occupies the center of the steering wheel, flanked by redundant stereo controls. Metallic door panel trim is new and combined with the two-tone, adds a touch of sportiness and class to the cabin. The center stack, however, loses the 110v power outlet found on the current model.

Like the current Vibe, this 2009 model will carry Toyota powertrains. The base model is likely to recieve Toyota's 2ZR-FE inline 4-cylinder, which produces 136hp and 129lb-ft of torque and is currently found in the Corolla and Scion xD or the 2AZ-FE I4 making 157hp and 162lb-ft of torque and found in Scion tC, new xB, and upcoming Toyota Blade. Its possible the base model may also carry the new ValveMatic I4 as all Toyota models are slated to have the technology by 2010. The GT model will return for 2009 and is rumored to have an automatic option.

One thing not known at this time is whether the next Vibe will even be called the Vibe. Its possible it may carry a G-prefix designator as other Pontiacs do, possibly G4. We'll know shortly, though, as the Vibe is scheduled for an introduction at the 2008 New York International Auto Show. The next-generation Vibe will continue to be assembled at the NUMMI plant in Fremont.

Enjoy the photos and thanks again to GenVibe!

:cussing::banghead::thumbsdown: :gay: :censored::explode::Toyota:

Why does Pontiac need this car? Why does GM need Toyota's help to make it when it has an equal or better platform in Delta, along with Ecotec 4cyls that are equal or better to Toyota's? It's an eyesore, inside, outside, and under the hood.

Are these photos supposed to be exposed like this? That car is really exposed. One good thing is the materials in the interior and the fact the car looks more it has some character too. That steering wheel reminds me of the old Pontiac steering wheels of the 1970's. The Pontiac themes are there. There is a market for this car apparently. It will be interesting to see the exposed product.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The headlights are sort of Aztek-y, and the overall shape is more like a Matrix, as far as I can see. The interior is an evolution. Is this really all-new, or an all-over reskin? Is this based on the next Corolla?

Not sure how long this GM/Yota collaboration was supposed to last... is it a UAW thing, requiring a new product from the plant? Seems fishy. A thoroughly modern Vibe on HHR underpinnings (plus AWD availability) would have been much sweeter, imo, but for my final opinion, I will need to see it completely unmasked. These photos are a very nice find, though.

Are these photos supposed to be exposed like this? That car is really exposed. One good thing is the materials in the interior and the fact the car looks more it has some character too. That steering wheel reminds me of the old Pontiac steering wheels of the 1970's. The Pontiac themes are there. There is a market for this car apparently. It will be interesting to see the exposed product.

You think this steering wheel looks like,

Posted Image

this one from the 70's? :spin:

Posted Image

Not very different from the current one all together, and actually if you take a look at the side, it almost looks even more like an exact replica of the current Toyota Matrix version with the plumper, curvier sheetmetal, just with Pontiac cues stuck on.

Sort of an odd fit for what's supposed to be the "new" Pontiac, but they were (and still are?) popular small vehicles. At least a ton of retirees around here buy them in droves, which is the same with PT's, Scions, and the like.

As long as it's more refined than the current one with stronger performance (no more of that high winding, but no power elsewhere known to the top trim sport models) for daily use, they should do well. I guess.

I don't get why everyone knocks the Vibe. I've had 2 friends with a Matrix and a Vibe and they've been good cars to them. We're actually considering buying a Vibe, it looks less ridiculous than the Matrix and is a good inexpensive cargo hauler with good MPG. I'm just disappointed that the interior looks so similar to the current one, I was hoping for something a little different, but the audio unit looks a lot better.

If anyone would like to add anything concrete besides my pure engine speculation, please do so.

Since the engine is Dual-VVTi, then it must be the new ZR-series 4-cylinder, almost certainly the 1.8 L 2ZR-FE as used in the xD. NA Corolla's will have the same engine, when the new Corolla eventually appears in NA. There is now a larger 2.0 L 3ZR-FE and the Valvematic 3ZR-FAE, but that is so far only available in the JDM Noah/Voxy midsize vans. This gives Toyota three Dual-VVT 4-cylinders (1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 L) to GM's six (1.6, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0T, 2.2 and 2.4), half of which are also DI (Ford has one, BMW four, GEMA [Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi] four, Daimler three, Subaru at least one).

The is no Blade (a more expensive Auris for Toyopet) coming to NA. If the hatch comes it will be the Auris as it is in Europe and Japan, or simply Corolla. Although Blade was considered for a NA model some years ago that info is severely out of date.

Not very different from the current one all together, and actually if you take a look at the side, it almost looks even more like an exact replica of the current Toyota Matrix version with the plumper, curvier sheetmetal, just with Pontiac cues stuck on.

Sort of an odd fit for what's supposed to be the "new" Pontiac, but they were (and still are?) popular small vehicles. At least a ton of retirees around here buy them in droves, which is the same with PT's, Scions, and the like.

As long as it's more refined than the current one with stronger performance (no more of that high winding, but no power elsewhere known to the top trim sport models) for daily use, they should do well. I guess.

You have retirees down in Lower Slower Sussex County Delaware? :P

The headlights are sort of Aztek-y, and the overall shape is more like a Matrix, as far as I can see. The interior is an evolution. Is this really all-new, or an all-over reskin? Is this based on the next Corolla?

Not sure how long this GM/Yota collaboration was supposed to last... is it a UAW thing, requiring a new product from the plant? Seems fishy. A thoroughly modern Vibe on HHR underpinnings (plus AWD availability) would have been much sweeter, imo, but for my final opinion, I will need to see it completely unmasked. These photos are a very nice find, though.

It's obviously based on the E15 Blade/Auris rather than the E14 Corolla, which means it gets a wider platform with optional IRS, but as is standard practice for Toyota, it's an update rather than an all-new platform. As this is the same architecture as the T-body tC, Allion, Premio and Avensis there is a possibility the NA models could also use the longer wheelbase (E- and M-body MPVs have even longer wheelbases), but I wouldn't count on it.

You have retirees down in Lower Slower Sussex County Delaware? :P

Uhm, they don't call Sussex County "lower slower" for nothing, you know.

In regards to the new Pontiyota, I despise the current one's interior. This one looks no better, IMO.

Looks like it lost what little influence it had from GM on the previous model (i.e. the radio).. which could be a good thing depending on who you talk to. GM purists will complain that it's more Toyota now then ever, others will say it's more high-quality because the crappy GM radio of yesteryear is gone.

Whatever the opinion, it should do as well or better then the current Vibe in sales since the demand for compact vehicles is on the rise and people want a fresher looking option.

Glad it's getting the G8 treatment though on the outside.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Both cars sold well, so well in fact that Matrix production was relocated to Toyota's Cambridge, ONT plant due to capacity issues at the NUMMI factory in Fremont, California.

This makes it sound like production was relocated. Production of the Matrix never took place in California...it was always in Cambridge.

Headlights are NICE here. Very Torrent meets G6. I am not a fan of the Scion Xb-ness of the interior. It makes me sad. Those inside door handles were cool on Xb, but they look forced on a Poncho.

An one concrete detail... a certain TV network wouldn't be happy with that proposed name. G4 is owned by Comcast and no way are they giving up rights... at least I don't think...

i've always liked the vibe, except for the motor.

i like this even more. i could actually drive something like this, toyota roots and all. hopefully it gets the 2.4

i'm not gaga over it, but its pleasant enough that if it were inexpensive and got good mileage, i could be happy driving it as long as it doesn't look too dykish.

climate controls look cheap though

can you imagine how many of these would sell with chevy badges? that's why its a pontiac.

pontiac dealers don't mind. they want something they can actually sell.

Edited by regfootball

:cussing::banghead::thumbsdown: :gay: :censored::explode::Toyota:

Why does Pontiac need this car? Why does GM need Toyota's help to make it when it has an equal or better platform in Delta, along with Ecotec 4cyls that are equal or better to Toyota's? It's an eyesore, inside, outside, and under the hood.

:yes:

When you make a deal with the devil...

This is just as bad as the Traverse. A front drive 136 hp tall wagon, and Pontiac wonders why they have a rental car image.

I suppose on the plus side it has more than 118 hp like the current version. Just another plastic cladded econo car from Pontiac/Toyota. Maybe with the Vibe, G5 and G6 Pontiac should become the premier rental car/fleet sale brand in the industry. They can resurrect the Grand Prix for another year to serve as the Avis "full size" model.

Eh. I don't really see a particular need for it if GM is going to follow through on its plans for BPG.

The doors are more Matrix than ever before, and I never really cared for the Vibe. (Just one of those things)

Yep, that is the new Vibe. :yes:

I've always liked the looks of the Vibe-it's not a bad car-but the engine/trans combo sucks major ass. :yes:

The current one may run for quite a while, but my bike has more pick-up-and-go... :banghead:

IT WILL NOT be called anything but Vibe-unless you want Comcast to own part of GM...

There is a reason for the launch next year-it follow a few months behind the Corolla (which rolls out later this year)

I'm quite sure (need to check those sources) that it is just not a refresh of the current model, but of the new one.

It has a lot of the same lines as the new Toyotas....

From what I can see, it looks kinda nice. Gotta see the whole thing though....

It's looking good so far, the side window line is looking very similar to the current Matrix so far though, which I'm not a fan of. And it has manual windows??? Obviously power windows will be an option, but can't GM make that standard already??? This is a 2009 for christ's sake!

What's wrong with crank windows? :huh:

I like what I see so far. Glad to see that the base Camry engine is being considered as an upgrade for this vehicle. The vehicle is too underpowered with the standard Corolla engine.

The only problem I have with the vehicle is that it does not fit in with the proposed future lineup GM has been presenting for Pontiac. A front wheel drive mini-wagon does not fit in with the rear wheel drive affordable performance image that I thought the brand was to become. I guess the car was too far in the development stage as a Pontiac when GM changed their plans for Pontiac (which still unfortunately do not sound very concrete). I am also guessing the car is based on a Toyota because GM has to finish out some contract it has made with Toyota and the union. The car might have been a better fit for Chevrolet; giving that brand a modern compact 5-door vehicle to compliment the retro HHR.

I hope the car will continue with the Vibe moniker. If the car has been a success for Pontiac, it seems ridiculous to change the name now. I am not a big fan of the "G-numeric" model name system. It robs the brand and its products of any passion. If they want to use the G-numeric deal then combine it with the model name; for instance G4 Vibe (I still don't like this, but it's better than just plain G4).

Well, GM absolutely needs a car like this, I just wonder why an HHR companion doesn't take its place. You're right, this car does hurt Pontiac's "Performance" image, but don't forget that Pontiac is in the process of losing a lot of sales volume right now: Torrent is going to GMC, Montana SV6 is dead and the GP is being replaced by the undoubtedly higher-priced, lower-volume G8. That leaves the Vibe, an aging G6, low-volume Solstice and the rebadge known as G5 to carry the load for dealers. In time, I would hope to see the Vibe (or its replacement) make its way to GMC, but for now, its a necessary bridge.

With NUMMI (GM/Toyota partnership) coming up on it's 25th year anniversary I sure would like to see something better than the current Vibe with the 1.8, especially since the gts (170-180hp) engine has been dropped due to emissions.

For those who don't think the 2azfe 2.4 from the Camry will be implemented, it's worth noting that it has been put into the Scion Xb which has the same wheelbase (102 in) as the current Matrix/Vibe.

But in all likelyhood it will get the 2zr-fe from the global corolla, you can be unimpressed by specs here: http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/06/0613.html

And no, I don't understand why on earth it isn't a Chevy Matrix, but I don't know what the point of the G5 is, either.

For as much as everyone in this forum hates Toyota, I've always found it completely hilarious that the companies work together as closely as they do.

This car makes me think of another possible route to take the Pontiac brand. Make it a heavy fleet sale brand. Move the Solstice to another brand, and then the Vibe, G6 and G5 (need a sedan) would be perfect for rental car sales. Then they can sell stop all rental sales for other brands. the G8 could become the taxi and police car replacement for the Impala. They can still sell Pontiac to the public, but they could be 75% fleet sale like the Grand Prix was. Then there never has to be a Cobalt (next gen) or 08 Malibu or 2010 Impala rental car out there to lower values of cars.

I always liked the Vibe, just wish GM would drop it's own engine in it. A 2.4L Ecotec would give it a nice smooth ride!

I am intersted in this, but I hold just the oppposite view on you regarding the engine. I have had 3 ecotecs (last year Cavalier, a cobalt and a 2.4 HHR) as well as one of the Toyota family of 1.8's (A celica GT) and by far and a way, the engine was the strong suit of the toyota. It had a LITTLE less power (due to the lack of torque) than the ecotec in our Cavalier and Cobat, but it blew away the Ecotec with fuel economy and was a bit less 'buzzy' at anythign over 3000 rpms.

Cheers and Gears got mentioned on Autoblog:

With the Toyota vs. GM smackdown in full swing, the Vibe/Matrix always seemed inconsistent with the two companies regular practice of beating each other's brains out. The shared models have been popular enough to warrant a second generation, which we should see officially unveiled at the 2008 New York International Auto Show. Cheers and Gears has a bunch of great spy shots of the 2009 Vibe nearly devoid of camo, follow the link to see them. What is missing is any semblance of cladding, a change that's been propagating through Pontiac for a while now, and is welcome anywhere it goes.

source:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/15/spy-sho...most-uncovered/

You never know who is viewing this website...

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I am intersted in this, but I hold just the oppposite view on you regarding the engine. I have had 3 ecotecs (last year Cavalier, a cobalt and a 2.4 HHR) as well as one of the Toyota family of 1.8's (A celica GT) and by far and a way, the engine was the strong suit of the toyota. It had a LITTLE less power (due to the lack of torque) than the ecotec in our Cavalier and Cobat, but it blew away the Ecotec with fuel economy and was a bit less 'buzzy' at anythign over 3000 rpms.

We have both also and the Ecotec (ION plus HHR) is much more satisfying. The fuel milage difference may be due to a difference in vehicle weight. We also had two of the 2.2 l. OHV GM engine and even that was more satisying than the Toyotas.

The exterior looks alarmingly similar to the current Matrix.

The G6-esque belt line is a styling cue I'm not sure anyone really asked for.

The uplevel five-spokes look pretty good.

The interior looks like a rehash of the current model's, unfortunately very soft and Toyota-like in design.

Interior fit and finish looks impressive.

I have a strange liking for the steering wheel.

That's all. I was hoping for something different.

The exterior looks alarmingly similar to the current Matrix.

The G6-esque belt line is a styling cue I'm not sure anyone really asked for.

The uplevel five-spokes look pretty good.

The interior looks like a rehash of the current model's, unfortunately very soft and Toyota-like in design.

Interior fit and finish looks impressive.

I have a strange liking for the steering wheel.

That's all. I was hoping for something different.

I saw your post and I thought about this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OtR0jRXVE

I started laughing..