Why has the PT not been put on the Caliber Chassis?

91z4me

Seriously I don't get it. Dodge gets the Caliber on a pretty much all new chassis (I know it is shared w/ Mitus but they don't really count since they sell so few cars in the US). Jeep gets 2 versions of this chassis and yet the once highly successful and well selling PT/GT Cruisers are left rotting on the old Neon chassis. What gives? Is Chrysler getting advice from Ford?

I think they may discontinuing the PT...or replacing it with something not retro...but I'm not sure.

Well w/ the small refreshes and reskins they have taken out some of the retroness, which is fine with me but it is just not making sense to not do a substantial update on a nameplate that was a big sucess.

I seriously doubt the PT is getting the axe.

Restyle before the end of the decade would make perfect sense

but it is still a relevant product. I think the last restyle was bad

and they need to do a REAL restyle. (narrow vertical grille!!!)

I read somewhere that the PT Cruiser would continue production on its current platform through the 2009 model year. The future for this vehicle after MY 2009 seems to be a bit hazy.

I think Chrysler should redesign this vehicle on the midsize platform that will underpin the Dodge Crew. I understand that sales have fallen off, but this car has been on the market without a major redesign for far too long. A true second generation should have made it to the market by now. I believe Chrysler still has some market equity in this model. Maybe they should bring out a smaller retro wagon for PT Cruiser enthusiasts and a larger, more modern looking crossover to replace the Pacifica (for those who don't care for the retro design). I think putting the PT Cruiser on the larger platform will help it to fit in better with the near luxury market that Chrysler should be in.

I would like to see Dodge use the compact Caliber platform to bring out a family of vehicles to compete with Toyota/Scion, Honda, and Nissan. Maybe offer a sporty compact sedan, coupe, and maybe even a 4 door pickup truck in addition to the Caliber. I would also like to see the subcompact Hornet emerge from the partnership with Chery (instead of a dreaded rebadged Chery A1). With gas prices continuing to rise and the government cracking down on CAFE standards, this would give Dodge (and Chrysler LLC) an arsenal of vehicles to compete in a post cheap gas world. Offer a range of powerful inline 4 cylinder engines (aspirated and turbocharged) as well as hybrid and diesel engines. If the styling was executed correctly, the vehicles would not dilute Dodge's tough, sporty image (I know some of you probably think that Plymouth should be resurrected to do this; I don't think Chrysler LLC has enough money to do this right now).

The PT was one of the most successful products in the history of Chrysler Corp.

It has a loyal following, I just do not see it ridding off into the sunset.

I'm not against moving the PT to the Caliber chassis if it means production gets moved to America.

The company that is leading the way to the importation of cars from the country suffering daily recalls( and the resulting suicides, and death penalties) must certainly consider Mexico the 51st state!

Interesting question, but at the same time...the PT is NOT on the Neon's chassis.

People have said this continually since intro, and despite Chrysler's constant reminding that it shares some front suspension pieces and minute dimensions with the Neon, the rest was unique. This is also why the PT is still one of the most solid and refined little cars, despite being 7 years old, still in fact very current in terms of finishing and dynamics. Not that they couldn't take the Caliber platform and take it to the same level, but we've yet to see a vehicle on that platform that's very overwhelming in terms of solidity and refinement--more like the hollow tin can feel instead.

And still beyond that, like has been said, the PT's time is limited anyway and it's really gone haywire lately with just paint and trim packages to keep it updated, so who knows what and when Chrysler will do anything with it significant. No rush, as it's still better to drive and better built than it's newer cousins--they at least got that right.

if the pT had an interior that wasn't cheap as hell and an engine that didn't suck (and suck a lot of gas) then it would still be selling in droves.

The only car from Chrylser Corp. that outsells it is the 300. It even outsells the minivans last month.

Perhaps one of the reasons so little has been said about the future of the PT is because Chrysler is trying to figure out it's own future...stay where it is or move upmarket. If they move upmarket (which I think they should) than the PT is out of place because it's not an upscale vehicle...remember it was originally designed to be a Plymouth.

On the one hand it would be unwise to discontinue a sales success or let it waste away with no redesign, but how well would it fit into a more upscale Chrysler if Chrysler follows that route...and would it be a sales success if it became more upscale (more expensive).

The sad part is that it's a big sales success...if it had been a Plymouth like it was supposed to, we might still have Plymouth.

The company that is leading the way to the importation of cars from the country suffering daily recalls( and the resulting suicides, and death penalties) must certainly consider Mexico the 51st state!

Go re-read the post... if the PT switched to the Caliber 'platform' it could be made in Belvidere (or possibly Sterling Heights) as opposed to Toluca where they are building them now

Unforetunately I don't think any of that matters as the decision was made years ago to axe the PT...

Go re-read the post... if the PT switched to the Caliber 'platform' it could be made in Belvidere (or possibly Sterling Heights) as opposed to Toluca where they are building them now

I understand that but was responding to the poster that I quoted who felt it was an important factor that production would be moved. My point is that it was important to him but obviously not to the new Chrysler that is importng cars from China.

I understand that but was responding to the poster that I quoted who felt it was an important factor that production would be moved. My point is that it was important to him but obviously not to the new Chrysler that is importng cars from China.

Its important to me because I still give a crap where my cars are built.