Saw the new 2008 LaCrosse

trinacriabob

Essentially, no changes, as we already know.

The standard content has gone up to include the leather wheel, the tilt and telescope and a few other items. The optional package is $ 495, which includes (1) the folding rear seat, (2) the power lumbar, and (3) heated seats. I guess that's not SO bad, since the split rear seat cost $ 275 last M.Y.

Comment on styling: the new front end is better but not THAT great. IMO, it is TOO tall for the front fascia and the chrome bars are too pronounced. The new shape is definitely the way it should have been, but it should have been a little more understated.

Did not bother to get inside. It was 106 degrees in Sin City today and I have NO clue as to how my friend who moved here can stand it. Plus, I am noticing more and more "low life" on this trip here.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda excited about the increased standard equipment and changed grille. Yeah, I wish the grille was a little smaller and more understated, but I like it more than the oval. As for the increased standard equipment, if I got a CX, the ONLY things I would have missed and was going to force me to get a CXL was auto climate control, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls (although I'm annoyed they removed the temp controls that was on the 05-06 wheel), telescoping wheel, and chrome appearance package. I can only hope they added two other little things... DIC, which wasn't standard on the 05-07 CX, and remote start, which I believe they did say was going to be standard.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda excited about the increased standard equipment and changed grille. Yeah, I wish the grille was a little smaller and more understated, but I like it more than the oval. As for the increased standard equipment, if I got a CX, the ONLY things I would have missed and was going to force me to get a CXL was auto climate control, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls (although I'm annoyed they removed the temp controls that was on the 05-06 wheel), telescoping wheel, and chrome appearance package. I can only hope they added two other little things... DIC, which wasn't standard on the 05-07 CX, and remote start, which I believe they did say was going to be standard.

What is your attraction to Buick? I understand Bob's attraction to it, he's older! :P But you're not his age, so I am interested in what attracts you to this car.

What is your attraction to Buick? I understand Bob's attraction to it, he's older! :P But you're not his age, so I am interested in what attracts you to this car.

Well, I'm a rare breed...

I mean, just size-wise, I'm a very tall guy, and I like the extra room, so I would always steer to mid size or larger. I happen to have grown up in a well-to-do area. Although my parents didn't buy me a car, all of my friends' parents bought them cars, and they were luxury vehicles. I grew up appreciating a quiet, smooth, comfortable ride. Sports cars tend to be smaller, coupes give me bad memories from all the time I tried to squeeze my long legs in the back seat, so I usually go for sedans. As for SUVs and CUVs, I refuse to purchase one because I live on Long Island and have NO need for one. I don't need a huge vehicle for groceries, or driving to Best Buy.

Now, being a teacher and hearing 120 students in your class all day long, and standing in the hallways during pass times with students screaming to each other all day long... you learn to appreciate a nice quiet sanctuary--a place to get away from the world. And I'm young, so it has to be quasi affordable. What do you have? Buick.

Ditto above for why I appreciate Buicks. A LaCrosse Super or Lucerne CXS is my idea car, especially since Olds is dead and Pontiac formally exited the comfortable performance car market several years ago.

By the way, my local dealer lists three 2008 LaCrosses (2 CXs, 1 CXS) in stock. I plan to check them out/take pics tomorrow.

Ditto above for why I appreciate Buicks. A LaCrosse Super or Lucerne CXS is my idea car, especially since Olds is dead and Pontiac formally exited the comfortable performance car market several years ago.

By the way, my local dealer lists three 2008 LaCrosses (2 CXs, 1 CXS) in stock. I plan to check them out/take pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to pics :)

I recently rode in a Buick LeSabre taxi.

It was the previous generation.

I had forgotten how pleasurable a Buick was, with it's quiet, serene ride.

And yesterday in a bright mid-day sun, a vision in pearl effect white, a

new Buick Lucerne...it was a stunner. Really the first time this car

really stood out for me. It finally said 'Buick' to me.

I saw an '08 LaCrosse and they do look much better. The red looked more vibrant. Personally, I feel all LaCrosses should have portholes, not just the Supers.

After seeing the new Enclave, I'm really excited about the next LaCrosse/Regal. It's going to be beautiful, I just have a feeling.

Buick really needs a convertible, though. It's been a long drought (early 90s Reatta)

Buick was just named most dependable, so GM should run with that crown and offer a coupe/convertible.

Thanks for the pics Fly... I actually like the grille now--I think the car actually looks a lot sharper with it and the chrome appearance package.

And ouch on the EPA ratings for the 3.6L

Yes, give it portholes... chrissake everything has some sort of

vent in the front fender these days from the mini cooper to the

Escalade so why should a Buick NOT have portholes?

Maximum-Bob already admited he screwed up by telling the

design team no portholes, then when he saw the Masseratti QP

he said the decision of portholes for the Lucerne was clear.

The new grille is a HUGE imporovement over the old oval one

that looked Ford Taurus pathetic, BUT the headlights are still

more dated than the semi-round quads on the 1998 Lexus GS.

A Zeta Buick couldn't get here fast enough! We should have

had it in like ohhhh I donno maybe..... 1997, just above the

Park Ave. and it should have been called Electra.

These are great pictures. I'm excited for better Lucerne pictures. I can not wait for the next gen of LaCrosse, it will probably have amazing styling, it's my most anticipated Buick... unless they ever get a coupe or convertible in the works for sure.

It's an improvement, for sure. What I still don't understand is why they couldn't have done something with the headlights. It couldn't have cost that much extra as they already changed the hood and bumper cover. Why not the headlights since they are, undoubtedly, ugly and do not flow with the design at all.

Dick Norris, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Fly?

Indeedy!

Great pictures!

The new grille is nicer in person. I agree with 68, new headlights would have really helped the look.

PS...I still scooped you with the Allure Super <_<

Thanks! But I've got Dark Cherry '08 STS pics coming today (hopefully) ;)

Does it bother you that we take photos that are better than 80% of what GM takes?

Indeedy!

Thanks! But I've got Dark Cherry '08 STS pics coming today (hopefully) ;)

Does it bother you that we take photos that are better than 80% of what GM takes?

Stop! OMG... An STS is MY CAR... I would take that car over any other car (under 60,000). It's the edgiest I would go in styling. If money was object of course! Anything above 60K would probably go to an A8L

Yup, saw about 4 new LaCrosse's-2 CX's and a couple CXL's I think as well, 2 in Scarlett Red (Buick's equivalent to Pontiac's Crimson Red and Chevy's Precision Red; which are awesome colors that should be expanded to the rest of GM's range), and the big new chrome grilles were nice and menacing. However, its still pretty much the same old LaCrosse with the ancient 3800 V-6 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, and wheel covers that have no business whatsoever being on a Buick (again back to being equipped like a Chevrolet-STILL IN 2008)....and it will continue to lose sales and suffer greatly against Saturn's Aura, the similar Chevy Impala, and even the mediocre Pontiac G6, which are all better cars in virtually every way (even the G6 in most forms).

Also saw a Dark Crimson, many Dark Mocha, a Gold Mist, and Light Quartz Lucerne-the Dark Crimson is a very, very dark Black Cherry (it was unny out yesterday, so it was harder for me to tell), and the Dark Mocha is an Espresso-type color, which I'd first seen about a month ago on a Chevrolet Impala (known as Mocha Bronze Metallic there). Also saw a GMC Acadia SLT with the Carbon Black Metallic color, kind of luxury Black meets Steel, but again, a little hard to tell from the sun. Not quite a true black or black pearl (the Brilliant Black at Chrysler), but still quite nice.

The age difference between you and I can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Che stronzetto ! :smilewide:

And I fell in love with the even larger Cutlass Supreme of the 70s when I wasn't even old enough to drive!

and wheel covers that have no business whatsoever being on a Buick (again back to being equipped like a Chevrolet-STILL IN 2008)....

Agreed. The basic 16" aluminum wheels should have been thrown in to the baseline car. Unbelievable.

Good call on your part.

Look forward no longer.

Good pics. All possible angles are covered.

Don't YOU think the grille is a bit much?

Same shape without being as tall and with less chrome impact would have been sweet.

Thanks, Trina.

CXS should get a different treatment...thicker bars or some sort of blackout. Otherwise an improvement in my eyes. Just wish the tail would've been diddled with, maybe some chrome elements or at least a chrome bar in the horizontal indent.

The age difference between you and I can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Che stronzetto ! :smilewide:

And I fell in love with the even larger Cutlass Supreme of the 70s when I wasn't even old enough to drive!

I'm 38, aren't you like 45 or 55? Are you still counting on your fingers? And don't call me a turd in Italian! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Hmm.... I noticed the old LaCrosse parked next to the new one.. You can see the difference. Then it hit me.. They are preparing the next LaCrosse and that grille is a hint of things to come. GM always does that.. Before they redesign, the current model picks up cues for the future. The Riviera concept plus this new grille hints at better things. I do not hate this car. It does what it is supposed to do, but you long for a "Regal". Thank you for the photos. Great shots...

Hmm.... I noticed the old LaCrosse parked next to the new one.. You can see the difference. Then it hit me.. They are preparing the next LaCrosse and that grille is a hint of things to come. GM always does that.. Before they redesign, the current model picks up cues for the future. The Riviera concept plus this new grille hints at better things. I do not hate this car. It does what it is supposed to do, but you long for a "Regal". Thank you for the photos. Great shots...

Good point..the Epsilon based 'Regal' replacement for the LaX will probably have a similar grille.

E-U That car is Fugly....Old Engine/tranny Kinda looks like an older taurus with a huge grill. Do not pass Go....or Go directly to the Rental Companies please

I wonder what percentage of LaX/Allure sales are fleet....is it as much of a rental queen as the Grand Prix?

I wonder what percentage of LaX/Allure sales are fleet....is it as much of a rental queen as the Grand Prix?

Latest figures showed 21-24% I believe. Alot more people buy them than you think, at least around here, and no, they aren't all owned by Old Man River.

Essentially, no changes, as we already know.

The standard content has gone up to include the leather wheel, the tilt and telescope and a few other items. The optional package is $ 495, which includes (1) the folding rear seat, (2) the power lumbar, and (3) heated seats. I guess that's not SO bad, since the split rear seat cost $ 275 last M.Y.

Comment on styling: the new front end is better but not THAT great. IMO, it is TOO tall for the front fascia and the chrome bars are too pronounced. The new shape is definitely the way it should have been, but it should have been a little more understated.

Did not bother to get inside. It was 106 degrees in Sin City today and I have NO clue as to how my friend who moved here can stand it. Plus, I am noticing more and more "low life" on this trip here.

Been here 5 years, you get used to the heat, and frankly it is no worse than a hot and humid day in Chicago (I lived there 40 years, so I know). Don't miss the snow and cold either. There are low lifes in any city, but if you stay on the strip or bad places (like any city) you get them. I live in a suburb here (Henderson) in a nice area (GVR) and no low lifes even close by. Spend more time here, and not just on the strip, or just by your buddy's house, which might be in a less desireable area anyways, then you can comment on how it is (goes for any city really).

Like, not love the new look, but they should have just gone to how the Chinese version of the LaCross looks like.

Not sure about fleet percentage but I recall reading average buyer age for Buick was 63. Edited by frogger

Not sure about fleet percentage but I recall reading average buyer age for Buick was 63.

Wow...it would be interesting to see the average age #s for all the brands and models, though I would think some car makers would probably keep demo data like that under wraps..

I'm 38, aren't you like 45 or 55? Are you still counting on your fingers? And don't call me a turd in Italian! :AH-HA_wink:

You mean you can't add the possible range of ages generated from the fingers on one hand and counting up from 38... and you have how many degrees?

B, you are probably more age obsessed than others on the site...a Peter Pan issue of sorts? :AH-HA_wink:

Been here 5 years, you get used to the heat, and frankly it is no worse than a hot and humid day in Chicago (I lived there 40 years, so I know). Don't miss the snow and cold either. There are low lifes in any city, but if you stay on the strip or bad places (like any city) you get them. I live in a suburb here (Henderson) in a nice area (GVR) and no low lifes even close by. Spend more time here, and not just on the strip, or just by your buddy's house, which might be in a less desireable area anyways, then you can comment on how it is (goes for any city really).

Like, not love the new look, but they should have just gone to how the Chinese version of the LaCross looks like.

My buddy is female and Italian, actually, she looks just like Rachael Ray....

She lives south of the 215 in the area bounded by Jones, Warm Springs, Rainbow and Robindale. It's not bad. Saw Henderson and Summerlin and both are very nice...I would pick those over any other area. It's just that I tolerate 90 deg / 90 % humid better than 106. It's the way we're wired. The neighborhoods to the east of the Strip around Maryland Pkwy are :scared:.

You mean you can't add the possible range of ages generated from the fingers on one hand and counting up from 38... and you have how many degrees?

B, you are probably more age obsessed than others on the site...a Peter Pan issue of sorts? :AH-HA_wink:

Now, now, Bob, don't hate. Just because I'm younger, have more degrees, and got them at a younger age than you did, not to mention GM has sent me to more places than you have been to. Is no reason to hate me! :smilewide:

Psssst, I won't mention the better schools I attended! :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

not to mention GM has sent me to more places than you have been to. Is no reason to hate me!

Psssst, I won't mention the better schools I attended! :P

I travel where I want to go, not because I have to. I made it a point to get my own professional shingle so I am not owned by a corporation (2 years at in a mill like Bell South confirmed that).

Schools: yeah, graduated the first time at a criminal 22 years of age (you know, slumming it in the lowly 1200s SAT range) However, do check to see that Univ of Illinois and Univ of Wash make the US News and World Report Top 50 Universities list while TA&M and OSU do not. Swiss schools, well they're just pretentious and European, not good old "roll up the sleeves" American! See, for my low SAT score and the strands of gray showing up in my head, my memory is STILL pretty good and maybe I shouldn't be in a Buick after all.

I'll always love you :rolleyes: , not hate you, B, despite the gratuitous references and displays of wealth and connections! :P

telescoping wheel

Have you seen how this is operated? It is a lever that is not in the least bit SMOOTH in operation. It is clunky.

It was great the way Cadillac had it in the past when it was a lever that followed the underside of the steering wheel's curve. The new air bag setup may not allow for that.

Have you seen how this is operated? It is a lever that is not in the least bit SMOOTH in operation. It is clunky.

No... I'm avoiding sitting in new cars that I can't afford right now. Thing is, I've never had to telescope a steering wheel--it's not usually a problem for me, so it wouldn't kill me if my next car didn't do that. I'll trade that for alloy wheels.