Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM: Quality of volume cars must improve

7 posts in this topic

GM: Quality of volume cars must improve

August 13th, 2007

Filed under: GM, Chevrolet

In an interview with Automotive News, GM’s vice president of quality, Jamie Hresko, admits that GM has a lot of work to do when it comes to quality of volume brands like Chevrolet and Pontiac. Instead of just rolling cars off of the assembly line, GM is finally realizing the benefits of building a quality vehicle.

Hresko told Automotive News that vehicle dependability ranking is the most important of the various quality studies and it keeps GM’s warranty costs low while improving residual values.

Last week, Buick tying with Lexus as the highest-ranking brand in the J.D Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study, was good news for GM. The study also showed that Buick and Lexus were followed by Cadillac, Mercury, Honda and Toyota.

Nonetheless, Hresko is still worried since GM brands Pontiac, Chevrolet, GMC and HUMMER still hang out below the industry average, right above Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

“That is something we have to look at and figure out,” Hresko says. “Our high-volume product is where we need to focus. We have to get Chevy up near the top, there’s no doubt.”

source:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/08/13/gm-qu...s-must-improve/

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I hate to be rude, but DUH! Keep the ball rolling, and pick up the slack. If your lagging behind now is the time to do something or get cut off the team I say.

Somebody FINALLY changed the lightbulb over their head and got the idea...wow. :mind-blowing: What did that take, 30 years?? :duh:

Now, now, hold onto your girdles, girls. Chevrolet was doing swell until the launch of a ton of GM-DAT product. A lot of this is perhaps perception, as we've beaten to death before. The 'cheap' plastics that do plague some of the car line would lend someone to be hasty in their over all opinion of the vehicle. I am sure the product gurus in Detroit are not total idiots, but part of the problem is getting them to spend a little more on, say, switchgear and fabrics, while spending less on incentives to move the product.

A flawless (hopefully) launch of the new Malibu could go a long way to addressing this. I truly hope Lutz and a few of the others are willing to work the assembly line themselves to make sure these cars come off perfect. Any major gaffs or recalls and the jaded media will just pounce.

I hate to be rude, but DUH! Keep the ball rolling, and pick up the slack. If your lagging behind now is the time to do something or get cut off the team I say.

Tick, tock, tick, tock! :AH-HA_wink:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0