New 2008 Chevy Malibu Images

Flybrian

Man...that first shot really accentuates the overhangs, and all the shots in general show how deserving this car is of larger rims and a sport package that gives a bit of a drop...Those wheel wells/fenders are huge.

The interior is ok, but I think there are way too many seams/cutlines specifically in the center console region (though, they may not look as noticeable in person), and those door panels leave a lot to be desired.

I got to see one of these in the open at a NASCAR truck race last may.

It was a good time to compare as it has a new Impala along side and a old Malibu two cars down.

The car is near the size of the Impala [Note that this car is to take Impala's place when replaced with a RWD to give buyers a choice, smart move]

Also noted the car is a BIG IMPROVMENT over the present Malibu. THis car give the look of a car costing 5-10K more than it will sell for.

I too am not a big fan of the tail lights as they look like a Mitubishi. But on the other hand the last Impala had much worse tail light with the wide plastic band and the 4 round lights. So while they are not exactly what I would like I will take them as an improvment over the past few models.

I overall love the Aura too but even the tail end on it reminds me of an old Oldsmobile and not a Staurn. It is not bad but also not as good as the rest of the car.

The Malibu compared to the lifeless compitition should do well as it has a good price and is well equiped. Lord knows this car my not be all it could be but it is at least a car that finally can compete in this tough segment.

Chevy will do well with this car.

Oh... that brown makes me long for the NG Lacrosse/Regal... They could just rebadge and I'd be happy.

The hybrid looks like an Aura to me, in that silver. And the grey interior can't escape the feeling of cheap.

But this is the first GM family sedan design in years that I think is gorgeous. This beats out Aura all the way. GM just keeps topping itself.

G6 is better than old-Malibu. Aura is better than G6. New-Malibu is better than Aura. I suppose Buick is next...

I love it, especially the LTZ model! It looks like Chevy finally has a true contender for the midsize market. I hope it is a great success for Chevrolet and GM.

As far as the styling of this car compared to the Aura; I like both designs. I like the interior in the Malibu a little better than the Aura's interior. I think both cars represent GM's commitment to its revival. Let's just hope that the hits keep coming.

The gray interior still looks like meh but give it color and it looks very nice and distinctive...there are too many cutlines around the center stack area, and the door panel design could be better, but the details look like they are there and that's what every GM car before it has lacked.

The back doesn't look so bad anymore...NOS' chop is still better but I've seen worse (the entire current Malibu). The first picture really makes the Malibu look lik it needs bigger wheels, but in the other photos it looks fine.

The unique interior colors combined with class-exclusive 4 banger/6 speed should help set this car apart.

I look forward to seeing one in person!

The 2008 Malibu is the best looking mid-size sedan on the market. Will withhold final judgment until I see one in person. This car perfectly illustrates why the middle brands aren't needed other than to avoid lawsuits and give the "Chevy" factories more production. Too bad no rear seat armrest. What is this 1980? Anyway, it's gonna be a winner.

After reading this thread this AM I was able to sped time in a parking lot watching traffic [read waiting for the wife].

I did note that most makes today have little better styling than this car and the tail lights are not much better on most others. Many of the cars are now sporting the high nose and nondiscript sedan styling. So while the Malibu is not a home run in the department it is a good solid double.

Now all we need is some great reviews and a track record of reliability.

I think to get people to buy GM is going to have to raise the warranty on their cars to 5 year 100,000 miles on all cars. This worked for Hyundia and with the lower peice and great warranty many were willing to give them a second look.

The current Malibu was a big improvement over the '97 version.

This looks like a quantum jump forward again.

Is it enough to dethrone the Camry?

The suspension will be head and shoulders above the 2-link abomination that is Camry.

The six speed is world class.

The 3.6 engine will match or exceed, rated top-end h.p. not withstanding.

Even though real-world competitiveness is a given, will the advertised fuel economy match up?

Here's hoping, especially with the revised 2008 EPA test methods.

The interior? The Aura in-person is infinitely better than any press photos to-date.

There is no reason to expect the Malibu will be any different.

Overall, the new 'Bu is looking really good.

The new Malibu is debuting the same time as the new Accord, and comparisons between the two will be inevitable. The Malibu has been hyped so much that some are bound to feel letdown, as they were with the Aura. No question that the Malibu is a huge step forward from the current model, which itself was overhyped, as was the P90 predecessor.

I really like the 5 spoke wheels on the midlevel LT model. I'm not a big fan of the color of the LTZ here. It appears to look like baby poo with too much iron in it. I have alot of hope for this car. I hope it holds up well against the Accord. Design wise, I think the Malibu is more interesting than the 08 Accord. I like the simplicity of the interior as well over the Accords. I hope that NAV becomes an option soon on the Epsilon cars. Seems that cars of all sizes have that as an option. More importantly, I hope the quality is there. The huge advertising campaign may get the word out, but the car has to deliver in every way right out of the factory.

I really like the 5 spoke wheels on the midlevel LT model. I'm not a big fan of the color of the LTZ here. It appears to look like baby poo with too much iron in it. I have alot of hope for this car. I hope it holds up well against the Accord. Design wise, I think the Malibu is more interesting than the 08 Accord. I like the simplicity of the interior as well over the Accords. I hope that NAV becomes an option soon on the Epsilon cars. Seems that cars of all sizes have that as an option. More importantly, I hope the quality is there. The huge advertising campaign may get the word out, but the car has to deliver in every way right out of the factory.

The LT has two 5-spokes. One is the 17" fascia spoke (steel with chrome cover) and the other is an 18", which comes with the sport package.

I agree with bobo. This car looks good in and out, and has competitive powertrains... but it has been overhyped too early, just as the current car was, and the generation before it. I think it would have been better to keep this car under wraps longer before its debut, then make a splash just as it was hitting the lots, to avoid becoming stale too soon.

I can't wait to see one in person. Those that are complaining about interior color, remember, this is GM photography, they rarely flatter the product.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks the mirror controls are in an odd spot?

Anyways, other than that, the goofy looking rear, the huge wheel well gaps, the mismatched front fascia and the cheap center stack... It's looks to be a good car.

Huge wheel well gaps are a long time GM tradition, to leave room for tire chains, or so I've read...

Edited by moltar

I love the exterior but barely can tolerate that interior.

I agree. I love the gauge cluster, and like the "dual-cowl" sweeping curves to the dash....but the center stack is cheap-looking with too many cutlines (which someone else mentioned on here) and the door panels are disgusting....three-spoke "sport" wheel also looks out of place somehow....maybe it's because we see it in too many different GM models..?

Exterior IS really a looker though....except the rear taillights.

The suspension will be head and shoulders above the 2-link abomination that is Camry.

The six speed is world class.

The 3.6 engine will match or exceed, rated top-end h.p. not withstanding.

The interior? The Aura in-person is infinitely better than any press photos to-date.

The 3.6 is a fine engine.....but still doesn't fully match up to Camry's V6 from a NVH and smoothness standpoint.

Saying the AURA's interior looks better in person than photos is unfortunately not saying much.

But all that aside, the car SHOULD do very well.....I just don't see it "knocking" Camry from its perch. Accord is the one that could do that, if anyone.

In my opinion, if the Malibu manages to sway enough Camry sales to allow Accord to earn 'best-seller,' I'm happy. Accord deserves it; Camry certainly doesn't and hasn't for nearly a decade.

Combine this undoubtedly attractive Chevy with GM's other midsizers, factor in the G6 coupe/'vert which are both more attractive and better-built than the Solara (which apparently won't have a successor...my eyes thank Toyota for that) and the attractive Accord two-door, and it can happen.

GM and Honda working in semi-concert. Hmmm...:scratchchin:...not bad.

In my opinion, if the Malibu manages to sway enough Camry sales to allow Accord to earn 'best-seller,' I'm happy. Accord deserves it; Camry certainly doesn't and hasn't for nearly a decade.

Honda's a juggernaut....especially when you consider they hardly do any fleet/rental units at all....! It will be an interesting fight......

I think Malibu, if anywhere, is gonna stick it to Ford and Chrysler. Ford has been short-sighted enough to not bring the Mondeo over here and Chrysler in my mind can't compete with the Sebring/Avenger.

Honda's a juggernaut....especially when you consider they hardly do any fleet/rental units at all....! It will be an interesting fight......

I think Malibu, if anywhere, is gonna stick it to Ford and Chrysler. Ford has been short-sighted enough to not bring the Mondeo over here and Chrysler in my mind can't compete with the Sebring/Avenger.

Agreed on both. I can surely see Toyota quietly boosting fleet sales in an attempt to maintain 'best-seller' status. The Fusion is fine, but too small; Taurus is a great car on paper, but less appealing. Chrysler is lucky to match Hyundai at this point, sadly.

And more on my edited comments, GM and Honda working together would surely not be a bad thing. Sometimes I think they're the only two automakers who are acutally dedicated to superior engineering made affordable for the masses.

Am I the only one who thinks the mirror controls are in an odd spot?

Anyways, other than that, the goofy looking rear, the huge wheel well gaps, the mismatched front fascia and the cheap center stack... It's looks to be a good car.

the mirror controls are exactly as they are on the power mirror aveo... on the aveo i'm sure its an afterthought.. but here they use the same exact buttons and everything, same spot... wonder why... guess you wont forget where they are... probably notice it everytime you look in your mirror... and as your adjusting your mirror, you dont have to look down at the arm rest to see where your fingers are pushing (as i would imagine my grandma/grandpa/dad/mom would do since they usually arent as object oriented as the younger generations...)

I think I like the Aura exterior design better. The interior looks alright but there are too many cutlines in the center stack area. That brown/orange interior combo is nasty. What was the inspiration? Reese's Pieces?

I agree with Nick. A sport package with bigger tires and lower ride height would benefit the new 'Bu.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the looks of the Malibu, and I am in the market for a car when my Trailblazer lease expires in March. I'm not necessarily getting another GM. But, this Malibu has my attention. I'm eager to test drive one to see if I can fit inside it. At 6'5", I can't drive the G6 comfortably. I'm okay in an Impala. Here's hoping there's some headroom. For some reason I fit fine in an Accord but not a Camry also. Weird.

• 3 months later...

The side profile is nice. Better wheelwell openings and/or different bolder rim/tire combos would help too....

I don't see why everybody dislikes the rear of the new Malibu so much, to be honest I like the rear better than the front, I'm not a fan of the nose of the car.