NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ralph Nader goes after GM Again

26 posts in this topic

Automotive News | August 17, 2007 - 5:11 pm EST

WASHINGTON — Consumer advocate Ralph Nader is calling for a federal investigation of a General Motors program to curry favor with major radio personalities, including Rush Limbaugh.

Nader said Friday that GM’s deals with the personalities may violate Federal Communications Commission rules requiring disclosure of payments for endorsements.

Nader’s request for an FCC investigation was prompted by an Automotive News story on Aug. 6 describing GM’s program. It includes loaning new cars and trucks to the personalities and inviting them to Detroit for VIP visits.

General Motors said in a statement that it “is confident that the media companies with whom we do business are complying with the appropriate FCC regulations regarding public disclosure of relationships with sponsors of their programming.”

if i understand this right

gm is trying to bribe certain media companies for good media by supply them with vehicles?

and ralph nadar is upset that GM isnt disclosing how much it is spending on such a media stunt...

there is nothing wrong with this...

its the same as walmart having a sample lady sitting there handing out a taste tests to a cheeze and cracker recipe everyone has already tried...

i think its a good idea, and could be even better idea if they were to give the vehicles to companies that often bash the massive conglomerate General Motors

Edited by Newbiewar

The Termi-Nader is at it again. Geez.

wonder what his grudge is... wasnt it him that helped the imports in during the 70's

How about the FCC investigate how much this a-hole is being paid by Toyota to rear his ugly head every decade or so to run Detroit into the ground? :banghead:

F'me: Toyota gave Mark Richardson (Wheels Publisher for the Toyota Star) a godamned Prius for a f%&king year to drive. Jesus. Where was Nader then?

Old Ralph is just bitter because he secretly wants an Escalade.

How about he settle for an Escalade tire track on his face? Doh!

Isn't he dead yet?

Nah - he's a fossil but he's not dead.

Someone get Ralph a hooker as he has too many built up toxins in his system.

Ralph is all about publicy.. The Corvair deal was all about Ralph and his book he could care less about GM or saving anyone.

He gloats and has many convinced he killed the Corvair when in truth it was killed by the Mustang before he showed up. Chevy was going to the Camaro as it would compete better with the Mustang and the engine was much cheaper to build.

But the general non automotive press will never tell you that.

This really proves he is a man with truly nothing to do. Take up gardening (not, not just pot) or play bingo. He also looks like the kind of person who's always sitting at the last table by the bathroom at McDonalds reading the same newspaper.

Isn't he dead yet?

I wish we were that lucky.

Just another scumbag lawyer.

its the same as walmart having a sample lady sitting there handing out a taste tests to a cheeze and cracker recipe everyone has already tried...

The sample lady at Wall-mart is on private property, but Rush is on the publicly owned and licensed air waves. Non-disclosure of a relationship like this is payola and is both immoral and illegal. There is a long history of extended test drives for public figures (Ford) followed by obvious and identified commercials. If however Rush and others received something of financial value and didn't report it on their taxes, for instance, there will be hell to pay.

There seems precious little information here to really know what is going on. Until more details are available I am going to boycott the phallic symbol sucking Rush and the camel humping Ralph.

If GM has to brib, then brib away....

It's time to play dirty. The japanese companies have been playing this way with the media for years.

I just hope GM is smart enough to not get caught.

As for Nader; f*ck him and anybody that supports his "causes", political affiliations or publications. I hope he dies a horrible death at the hands of a domestic SUV driver.

It would be even funnier if the Aurora Safety car drove over him.... several times.

Limbaugh clearly airs his GM spots as timed, copy-written commercials, no different from every other commercial he runs. He makes no other references to GM products outside of these in-a-block-of-commercials spots. The only on-air radio ads I've ever heard include a 'paid for' tag is political ads.

"...loaning new cars and trucks to the personalities and inviting them to Detroit for VIP visits."

^^

Can't imagine how this would involve Limbaugh- he's loaded, undoubtedly has his own fleet of vehicles, and I just do not see him remotely interested in a free trip to Detroit.

Smells powerfully of muckraking to me.

It would be even funnier if the Aurora Safety car drove over him.... several times.

It would be a shame to do that to the Aurora. Better to use an F350 tow truck.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room