BMW 135i Cabriolet

Posted Image

Yes, BMW is leaving no market sector unoccupied with its 1-series. Due to be unveiled at next year's Detroit motorshow in January - BMW is hoping that 1-series coupe and convertible take-up in America will boost 1-series past the half million mark. It arrives here in April with the range spearheaded by the flagship 135i convertible, available in BMW's two familiar trim levels - SE and M Sport. We anticipate the topdog M Sport to wear an anticipated £34,000 price tag. Expect it be followed by the 125i powered by BMW's 218bhp 2.5-litre six-cylinder petrol engine as well as the 204bhp twin-turbo 123d diesel by the end of the year.

Link: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_ca...=954&page=1

well, all the rich princesses across the land can breathe a big sign of relief now. If daddy can't pop for the 3 series, than this fills the bag.

CHICK CAR / BMW

wait, those are redundant

I think I may see a little sour grapes.

I for one think it is a great option for those who want a RWD sporty car, like the upcoming Alpha Pontiacs are supposed to be. The only difference is price and image.

sour grapes?

why would i want a lilliputian chick car?

this car exists in the US because of the young demographic that likes to blow money and they have jacked up 3 series prices to the point where they can bring in another level of brand snobs.

So what is not to like about this car? Is it the 6 cylinder powertrain? The RWD layout? The available stickshift? The worlds best chassis control that we have come to expect from BMW?

Or can you just not get over the image? Can you not prejudge someone b/c they bought a premium marque?

So what if BMW moved the 3 series away from its roots? They are bringing over a virtual clone of the 3 series' roots.

If this were a Pontiac w/ slightly different sheet metal would your opinion change?

So what is not to like about this car? Is it the 6 cylinder powertrain? The RWD layout? The available stickshift? The worlds best chassis control that we have come to expect from BMW?

Or can you just not get over the image? Can you not prejudge someone b/c they bought a premium marque?

So what if BMW moved the 3 series away from its roots? They are bringing over a virtual clone of the 3 series' roots.

If this were a Pontiac w/ slightly different sheet metal would your opinion change?

It's called "jealousy."

Reg is just jealous that BMW is hitting on all cylinders now in a way that GM can only WISH they could. AND, like you stated, they build some of the best-driving, best-handling, best-feeling cars in the marketplace.

It's called "jealousy."

Reg is just jealous that BMW is hitting on all cylinders now in a way that GM can only WISH they could. AND, like you stated, they build some of the best-driving, best-handling, best-feeling cars in the marketplace.

exact opposite, actually

BMW = tired styling. REALLY tired. the bangle thing is way worn out its place in time. The flame surfaced Aero bit is DOA for some time now.

I don't have any issues with it being a premium marque. If you need the beemer, don't be a poseur; save a few more bucks and get the 3 series. What I do have issues with is the fact that this car only exists to push up the price of the 3 series to a point where it does not deserve to be, and, it creates an entry level that is really the equivalent to buying a Ralph Lauren 'polo' t shirt. The product is merely a billboard for advertising and they can suck a few folks into the fold because they are willing to sell something with the name on it that overly image conscious folks will buy. Not because of the ride and handling, etc, but simply because its an accessible price point for desperate wannabes. And a car this small really provides no luxury to anyone.

so in the final analysis even if the car is capable, it exists more as a marketing exercise because they can get people to pony up for a lunch size portion of the signature dinner entree rather than a real willingness to provide the brand's core values.

if folks want to spend their dough on it, i don't care. i guess if bmw can get it, fine by me. Since we have crappy little A3's and such.

that 318i or 316i or whatever was real successful in the US.

this car is the BMW equivalent of a VW cabriolet or Miata. It's a like a new puppy under the christmas tree at christmas all wrapped up in a white towel. Its got way too much cute factor for it to be a man's car, and it really doesn't come off as a hardcore performance car, even if it's capable, because the wrapper is so soft and squishy and female and cute.

why not just get a Z4? at least they know what you're packing under the zipper if you have one of those.

understand that my venom and comments are only really directed at the convertible. I guess I can buy the coupe concept. small, RWD coupe. there are few of those. in that regard, the product is relevant.

Edited by regfootball

exact opposite, actually

BMW = tired styling. REALLY tired. the bangle thing is way worn out its place in time. The flame surfaced Aero bit is DOA for some time now.

I don't have any issues with it being a premium marque. If you need the beemer, don't be a poseur; save a few more bucks and get the 3 series. What I do have issues with is the fact that this car only exists to push up the price of the 3 series to a point where it does not deserve to be, and, it creates an entry level that is really the equivalent to buying a Ralph Lauren 'polo' t shirt. The product is merely a billboard for advertising and they can suck a few folks into the fold because they are willing to sell something with the name on it that overly image conscious folks will buy. Not because of the ride and handling, etc, but simply because its an accessible price point for desperate wannabes. And a car this small really provides no luxury to anyone.

so in the final analysis even if the car is capable, it exists more as a marketing exercise because they can get people to pony up for a lunch size portion of the signature dinner entree rather than a real willingness to provide the brand's core values.

See I gotta disagree here. Sure the 3 series is expensive and has moved up in price but why shouldn't it? It is THE car in the segment. It defines its segment. Every new car that comes out is immediately compared w/ the 3 series to see how it stacks up and pretty much all of them fall short. The C class has the hardware to compete but not the passion. It is isn't the driver's car that the 3 series is.

And this car is not a marketing exercise it is a return to roots. The 3 has grown quite abit and to me has moved away from the pinnacle for the 3's life, the E36 (174' L x 66' W: 3120) vs the current E90 (178' L x 71.5' W: 3340). In addition to actual size the 3 appears much larger. Also since it has moved up the price scale then there is room for a true BMW in the lineup.

this car is the BMW equivalent of a VW cabriolet or Miata. It's a like a new puppy under the christmas tree at christmas all wrapped up in a white towel. Its got way too much cute factor for it to be a man's car, and it really doesn't come off as a hardcore performance car, even if it's capable, because the wrapper is so soft and squishy and female and cute.

why not just get a Z4? at least they know what you're packing under the zipper if you have one of those.

understand that my venom and comments are only really directed at the convertible. I guess I can buy the coupe concept. small, RWD coupe. there are few of those. in that regard, the product is relevant.

So a guy who wants a 135i convertible b/c he wants a vert and wants the power, same engine as the 335i but in a smaller package, is a poser b/c he bought a vert? That makes sense the 135i will be VERY quick on the road and will beat many larger cars, even if it is a vert.

exact opposite, actually

if folks want to spend their dough on it, i don't care. i guess if bmw can get it, fine by me. Since we have crappy little A3's and such.

Out of touch, Reg....HOPELESSLY out of touch......

"Crappy A3's?" GM can't build a product with the execution, fit-and-finish, and powertrain of Audi's "lowly" A3......

Kind of off topic, but the 318 (specifically the e36 ti) was crap. It was the bastard child of BMW being little more than an e30 318 with e36 sheet metal. Regardless of how "well" it sold, it was still crap and in comparison to the their respective times, the 1 series is a much better car.

Kind of off topic, but the 318 (specifically the e36 ti) was crap. It was the bastard child of BMW being little more than an e30 318 with e36 sheet metal. Regardless of how "well" it sold, it was still crap and in comparison to the their respective times, the 1 series is a much better car.

Nick, bro....I think he was being sarcastic....LOL

i thought the last two numbers in a bmw were the engine displacment... how are the 128 and the 135 both 3.0liter engines?

The last two digits used to be displacement, but BMW has strayed in recent years...the last US 328 had a 3.0, I think, for example..

Out of touch, Reg....HOPELESSLY out of touch......

"Crappy A3's?" GM can't build a product with the execution, fit-and-finish, and powertrain of Audi's "lowly" A3......

if the A3 is so friggin great why did they only sell 8000 of them in a year

A3 = "that's a nice rabbit you have there, Dieter"

Edited by regfootball

if the A3 is so friggin great why did they only sell 8000 of them in a year

A3 = "that's a nice rabbit you have there, Dieter"

It's an awesome car.

Problem is......simply.....Audi has put the vast majority of the marketing dollars on their bread-and-butter, the A4. Most of the time you can lease an A4 for less than an A3. It's a marketing issue....not a product issue......

• 1 month later...

i thought the last two numbers in a bmw were the engine displacment... how are the 128 and the 135 both 3.0liter engines?

The last two numbers were originally gross hp, and the first fiscal (taxable) hp. Thus the 315 had 3 fiscal hp and 15 actual hp, but as power climed this gaveway to simple incremental changes (326, 327, 328) unrelated to either hp or displacement. Later models switched to a pure displacement designation (1800, 2000 etc.), with some variation when the same engine was used in different models (2000 and 2002 etc.). The current model numbers have rarely been an accurate measure of displacement. As a single displacement in different states of tune have been offered in some models each has had to have a different number. Marketing plays a role as well, and competition with Mercedes—thus the 328i is named to match the Mercedes C280 with the same power (which is not a 2.8 L either), and influenced by older models which did have 2.8 L engines. The 545i (and current 745d) was actually a 4.4 L, and the 550i is actually a 4.8 L etc., and there are far older examples (The 733 of 1987 was actually a 3.2 L, and IIRC there was a 2.5 L 327i or was it the other way around?). Thus the last two numbers are nominal displacement rather than actual displacement. BMW's latest I6 block was formerly built in two different sizes—2.5 and 3.0 L, but the 2.5 L engine has largely been dropped in favor of different tune 3.0 L engines. The base 2.5 L was used in the 523i, the next power level was the 525i, followed by the 3.0 L 528i (unique to North America) and 530i. With the switch to new direct-injection engines the 525i becomes a 3.0 L (but with the same power and torque), while the 523i remains a 2.5 L (but now with more power). Although the 125i is still port injection it too uses the 3.0 engine, again with the same power as the older 2.5 L 525i and 325i and the new 3.0 L DI 325i and 525i. The 135i, 335i and 535i use a DI biturbo version of the previous, slightly lower displacement aluminum 3.0 L. 2.0 L four-cylinder engines are dubbed either 118i/318i or 120i/320i (and the same for the diesels) depending on the power level, and there is also a higher-output 123d, with the biturbo setup on the 2.0 L diesel. the 525d used to be a 2.5 L tiurbodiesel, but is now a low-boost version of the VGT 3.0 L turbodiesel.

I find a person who drives an Aztec stereotyping people based on the car they drive hilarious and pathetic sounding at the same time.

RE: the 1 series, bring it on and bring it at the right price, looking forward to it.

Edited by frogger