Caliber SRT4

6t5frlane

I wonder what they did to this to quell massive torque steer than 285 hp will do to the front half of the car. Hell, I bet this car, when floored from a stop, will pull both your arms out at the shoulders. YIKERS!

I thought Pontiac got a bad wrap for boy racer looks. Whoa. :blink:

The Caliber is damn ugly I would rather drive a Focus or even some other ugly Korean car!

Too bad it isn't rated (as advertised) for 300hp.

Bad Chrysler!

*But maybe it'll be 300+ if the Caliber SRT-4 gets AWD*

Edited by MyerShift

I wonder whatever happened to the 300 HP that was supposed to blow everyone else out of the water...

There are new emission requirements for the 2008 MY apparently. A whole slew of GM engines have been effected (by 2-5 hp). A new cat with more resistance may account for the drop in the SRT-4 as well.

Talk about bang for the buck!! MSRP $ 22,995.00 285HP 265 lbs TQ. Saw a article at Autoblog. I think it's a bargain for what ya get. How does this stack up against the new HHR/SS price.

Hahaha

This forum is pretty funny. Comments about the Caliber's "looks", yet nobody says anything about the butt ugly HHR you compare it to.

If GM was making the SRT4 this thread would be under Chevrolet Cars praising how great it was, bang for the buck couldn't be beat, performance unmatched, etc etc etc.....

Strange forum for sure!

I'm not sure what everyone here is smoking...

But the Calibur SRT-4 will KILL the HHR SS. It actually looks BETTER (Unlike the HHR SS, the add ons look intergrated and aggressive as opposed to tacked on and ricer-classy) and it'll probably mop the floor with it at the track.

Kudos to Chrysler.

We're smoking? Will KILL the HHR SS? Looks better? Add ons not tacked on?

I was looking for a :AH-HA_wink: or :CG_all: or :lol: or even a J/K at the end of your post. How is this going to KILL the HHR SS? The numbers released by the makers are almost the same. 0-60:6.2 vs 6.3 Top speed:157 vs over 150 1/4:14.6 vs 14.8 Lateral Acceleration:n/a g vs .86 g Those numbers justify one KILLING the other? Come on. Your better than that.

We could go on and on about looks, but I'll say this. The ground effects alone on the HHR are 10x better than the SRT4, at least from the pictures I've seen.

Edited by Derek77

I'm not sure what everyone here is smoking...

But the Calibur SRT-4 will KILL the HHR SS. It actually looks BETTER (Unlike the HHR SS, the add ons look intergrated and aggressive as opposed to tacked on and ricer-classy) and it'll probably mop the floor with it at the track.

Kudos to Chrysler.

You may be right about the Caliber killing the HHR SS. On the spec sheet and in a straight line. The Neon SRT-4 did the same thing to the Cobalt SS/SC, as did the Viper to the base Corvette. The HHR SS will win out on handling (that Nurburgring-tuned suspension ought to be good for something) and overall refinement, just like GM always does.

You may be right about the Caliber killing the HHR SS. On the spec sheet and in a straight line. The Neon SRT-4 did the same thing to the Cobalt SS/SC, as did the Viper to the base Corvette. The HHR SS will win out on handling (that Nurburgring-tuned suspension ought to be good for something) and overall refinement, just like GM always does.

And which one has better credibility in the media and the EVER SO IMPORTANT---IMPORT DOMINATED tuner market?

That's right; the Neon SRT-4 which justifies my comment about the Caliber SRT-4 killing the HHR SS.

And I fail to see how this:

Posted Image

'Plastic grille that fell out on a speed bump' and all looks better than this:

Posted Image

which looks integrated to the overall look of the vehicle. (ricer or not; I like it)

And this 'plain-jane HHR with a gawdy tacked on bumper':

Posted Image

Compares to this:

Posted Image

Which doesn't look POOR fitting and even includes sexy additions to the hood.

It's about overall look AND performance. Sure it's not everyone's style, but it IS the style of this market and I'm willing to bet that the HHR's tacked on appearance, equal yet not class leading performance and general retro vibe will not bode well for sales. Sadly, it's the same reason the Cobalt SC/SS never made much of a splash.

***And you all know how much of a fan I am of the regualr HHR, I heavily considered buying one for crying out loud. I think the main thing that bugs me about the HHR SS, more so than the bumpers, is th cheap ass grille treatment. Maybe my opinion will change when I see it in the flesh, god knows I've eaten a lot of crow before (300C, Escalade anyone?) but for now, that's where I stand.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

And which one has better credibility in the media and the EVER SO IMPORTANT---IMPORT DOMINATED tuner market?

That's right; the Neon SRT-4 which justifies my comment about the Caliber SRT-4 killing the HHR SS.

And I fail to see how this:

Posted Image

'Plastic grille that fell out on a speed bump' and all looks better than this:

Posted Image

which looks integrated to the overall look of the vehicle. (ricer or not; I like it)

And this 'plain-jane HHR with a gawdy tacked on bumper':

Posted Image

Compares to this:

Posted Image

Which doesn't look POOR fitting and even includes sexy additions to the hood.

It's about overall look AND performance. Sure it's not everyone's style, but it IS the style of this market and I'm willing to bet that the HHR's tacked on appearance, equal yet not class leading performance and general retro vibe will not bode well for sales. Sadly, it's the same reason the Cobalt SC/SS never made much of a splash.

***And you all know how much of a fan I am of the regualr HHR, I heavily considered buying one for crying out loud. I think the main thing that bugs me about the HHR SS, more so than the bumpers, is th cheap ass grille treatment. Maybe my opinion will change when I see it in the flesh, god knows I've eaten a lot of crow before (300C, Escalade anyone?) but for now, that's where I stand.

So KILLING the HHR SS has nothing to do with performance, but being accepted by the media and tuners? I guess that means the Mustang KILLED the Camaro even when the Camaro was a better performer.

As I said before, we could go on and on about looks. It's in the eye of the beholder.

So KILLING the HHR SS has nothing to do with performance, but being accepted by the media and tuners? I guess that means the Mustang KILLED the Camaro even when the Camaro was a better performer.

And you be exactly right.

The Mustang consistently handed the F4 Camaro it's hat in sales and acceptance.

And you be exactly right.

The Mustang consistently handed the F4 Camaro it's hat in sales and acceptance.

Plus, the Mustang never left production.

Apparently many of you don't have a clear definition of rice. Rice is adding on poorly molding, strangely shaped body kits to cars that do nothing but increase their weight. They add a fart can and a huge wing and call it a day. Here, is true rice:

Posted Image

The SRT-4's add-ons are clean, simple and much of it purposeful. The hood scoop is to let cool air in and teh hood exhausts is to let hot aitr out...being car people you guys should know this.

The Cobalt SS/SC has a huge following and more than its share of street cred, and I don't think I've ready a single overly negative review about it. The only knocks the media have made against it involve the interior plastics and the firm suspension. The SRT-4 got plenty of kudos when it came out, but from what I remember the media dropped it like a rock when the Cobalt came out. I've never read a single comparison between the SRT-4 and the import pocket rockets. I don't think the media will be as merciless with the HHR SS as you think. The drive will seal the deal. As far as looks go, as Derek said that's in the eye of the beholder. I hate the Caliber and even SRT-4 in trim you couldn't pay me to want to be seen in one.

The Cobalt SS/SC has a huge following and more than its share of street cred, and I don't think I've ready a single overly negative review about it. The only knocks the media have made against it involve the interior plastics and the firm suspension. The SRT-4 got plenty of kudos when it came out, but from what I remember the media dropped it like a rock when the Cobalt came out. I've never read a single comparison between the SRT-4 and the import pocket rockets. I don't think the media will be as merciless with the HHR SS as you think. The drive will seal the deal. As far as looks go, as Derek said that's in the eye of the beholder. I hate the Caliber and even SRT-4 in trim you couldn't pay me to want to be seen in one.

The SRT-4 has a bigger following than the Cobalt SS or Ion RL. It also beats both of them in comparison tests...go look up C&D's.

I hate the hood but I do agree with FOG...the Caliber SRT4 looks more intergrated and less ricey than the HHR SS. Plus, that power is hot. I hope Chrysler has put a damper on torque steer, though. That must be some major pull.

Hahaha

This forum is pretty funny. Comments about the Caliber's "looks", yet nobody says anything about the butt ugly HHR you compare it to.

If GM was making the SRT4 this thread would be under Chevrolet Cars praising how great it was, bang for the buck couldn't be beat, performance unmatched, etc etc etc.....

Strange forum for sure!

I'm sure there are some that would, as we have our fair share of those who think GM can do no wrong, but the majority are level headed.

Personally, I don't like either performance variant as far as looks go, but the Caliber looks like it has downs syndrome and had its ass flattened. Otherwise, performance isn't unmatched and bang for the buck isn't that much better than the HHR SS.

Could be the exact same description for a Fiero, could it not? Only the Caliber has better performance...

:scratchchin:

Compared to what? It's an '80s made vehicle. It compares exceptionally well to other '80s vehicles, like one would expect it to. :stupid:

The SRT-4 has a bigger following than the Cobalt SS or Ion RL. It also beats both of them in comparison tests...go look up C&D's.

Yet its still a Neon, making it the World's Fastest Pizza Delivery Car.

I've encountered numerous Neon fanboys in real life and these people are true characters, almost like your traditional rice on meth, sharing exaggerated kill stories about beating Corvettes, wasting M5s, dusting Gallardos, and blowing the occasional AAMRAM missile into the weeds.

I've encountered numerous Neon fanboys in real life and these people are true characters, almost like your traditional rice on meth, sharing exaggerated kill stories about beating Corvettes, wasting M5s, dusting Gallardos, and blowing the occasional AAMRAM missile into the weeds.

It's my believe that the unofficial delivery car is the Ford Focus based on how many I've seen :P

I've never met an SRT-4 owner, so I wouldn't know.

Let's not forget what's I'm using for delivery right now. :P

Well I LOVE the HHR, esp. the SS... even though IMHO it needs a chrome grille. (Caddy-V stlye mesh?)

The Caliber, SRT4 or not, is UUUUUUUGLEEE. THe nose, ass & bulbous fender flares look horrible

while it has one of the WORST greenhouses of all time. I think the Caliber is a case study in ugly.

Not one line is appealing to me, it's as if the Honda Ridgeline "designers" were in charge of

designing a 5-door CRX but they had to use parts bin tooling from 1992 Hyundais.

Compared to what? It's an '80s made vehicle. It compares exceptionally well to other '80s vehicles, like one would expect it to. :stupid:

I find- and found when they came out- that Fieros were terrible cars. My opinion of course.

Poorly thought out, they are service NIGHTMARES. Change a clutch on an early Fiero, see what I mean... :AH-HA_wink:

They look like an overweight and unappealing version of an X1/9 IMO. They don't perform well, don't really do anything well. My brother was in lovvve with them when they came out, he drove one and never had any kind of fondness for the car again! LOL

To each his own, the Fiero ranks VERY low on any scale I have, or have had. (It was awful IMO)

The Caliber isn't what I would call "my taste" in styling, and unless it's an SRT4 version it doesn't really interest me in the least. It's not a typical vehicle though, it's a "new age" styled confusing-to-me type of mini crossover SUV, and it's bought by those who like that type of styling.

The OLD style SRT4 was the best "bang for the buck" little sedan around. I've seen a few dip into the 13's stock, and I've seen a couple of low to mid 12 second cars with "stage something" kits, still covered under warranty too- at our track. Stage 1 or stage 2, something like that. Sorry... not into them so much that I know what it is...

What a bunch of exaggerators! That kinda stuff could NEVER happen!

Could it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu6YHADrPJ8

They are quick little cars dead stock. Modded they can move pretty danged good...?

Again, its not the actual 'go' but the 'show,' more specifically the show these Neon ricers put on for everyone. Again, my experience speaking, but the attitudes of some of these people are just funny from a psychological standpoint. Their Neon can dust anything - Vettes, Saleens, time itself. Anything it can't dust, well, then it must've had something bolted on not stock or the Neon driver just wasn't trying, letting them win on purpose. They're incredibly defensive about Neons to the point of getting into verbal shouting matches with other people about Neons. Oh, and wait, its never a Neon; its an SRT-4. Calling it a Neon is an insult. Not so long ago, I had a picture of me sitting in a Saturn Sky RL on my MySpace page. Some completely random person send me a message - "Is that your SKY? I could waste that piece of GM $h! with my SRT-4." WTF? I don't even know you. And anytime anyone questions the validity of their wild stories, they do what you did and point to a myrid of amatuer YouTube videos of questionable stoplights races between Neons and other cars.

I really don't even care if Neon SRTs are fast or can beat a speeding bullet because at the end of the day, you're still driving home a Dodge Neon, which wasn't the best car to begin with, but at least had some serious racing credentials in the SCCA. The Caliber has to *gasp* actually prove itself and cannot simply rely on whatever "street cred" the Neon built for itself because its a completely different vehicle. And regardless, its still a Caliber, earning the SRT-4 version the title of World's Fastest Dollar Weekend Airport Special.

"World's Fastest Dollar Weekend Airport Special"

"World's Fastest Pizza Delivery Car."

Maybe YOUR attitude is what brings out the SRT4 owner's attitude? Seems you show little respect for "other brand" cars, and frequently call names and belittle..?

It's a fairly cheap entry level car with alot of performance for the money. I've seen stock SRT4s run 13.9 second quarter mile times. With my own eyes. That's impressive in my books for a 4 banger sedan.

"Street cred" is a "Fast and the Furious" term IMO. For good reason..... LOL

I've never met an SRT-4 owner, so I wouldn't know.

I've met many, but to be fair the majority of SRT4 owners I have met were at the track at the time, and their timeslips didn't lie.

All seemed pretty knowledgeable to me, and the modded cars sounded and looked stock, but were running impressive times- low 12's one was.

I've met soooo many "jerks" as Flybrian has described it ain't funny, just never met an SRT4 driver like that. (yet). One 1973 Mustang owner told us he just TIMED his car in the 1/4 mile with a stopwatch. 6 seconds. SIX SECONDS!!!!!!!! hahaha We couldn't stop laughing.

Or a guy in a BIG buck engined Impala who said he had "never been beat" at the street races- he then ran an identical run beside my mother's 360ci Cordoba LS. He jumped out of his car back at the starting line and was visibly upset- he yelled "Do you think your car is fast?" at me, in front of all my buddies, all his buddies. I laughed and said "Nope, I've been beat LOTS of times."

The crowd laughed.

Jerks own every brand imaginable. So do "normal" guys.

I find- and found when they came out- that Fieros were terrible cars. My opinion of course.

Poorly thought out, they are service NIGHTMARES. Change a clutch on an early Fiero, see what I mean... :AH-HA_wink:

They look like an overweight and unappealing version of an X1/9 IMO. They don't perform well, don't really do anything well. My brother was in lovvve with them when they came out, he drove one and never had any kind of fondness for the car again! LOL

To each his own, the Fiero ranks VERY low on any scale I have, or have had. (It was awful IMO)

The Caliber isn't what I would call "my taste" in styling, and unless it's an SRT4 version it doesn't really interest me in the least. It's not a typical vehicle though, it's a "new age" styled confusing-to-me type of mini crossover SUV, and it's bought by those who like that type of styling.

The OLD style SRT4 was the best "bang for the buck" little sedan around. I've seen a few dip into the 13's stock, and I've seen a couple of low to mid 12 second cars with "stage something" kits, still covered under warranty too- at our track. Stage 1 or stage 2, something like that. Sorry... not into them so much that I know what it is...

True, the earlier Fieros were somewhat rough. The original Iron Duke powered ones weren't worth owning. By '88, though, they had it right in looks (with the fastback from 86 on), handling (with the completely new Lotus-designed suspension for 88), power (with the up-level 2.8L V6 from 85 on), etc. Quality-wise, they worked out some quicks over the years, but was largely still on the cheap side, but that's comparable to anything else of the time.

Agreed about the Caliber.

Posted Image

I must say, the HHR SS doesn't look all that bad from that angle. Edited by blackviper8891

I think that the high performance models will sell in similar proportions to the more mundane models they are derived from. Last month's sales for the Caliber were only ca. 5k compared to the HHR's 13K. Neither the srt nor the SS are compeling enough to draw in many conquests sales.