Mid engined Corvette may get the go in September decision

For what it is worth, DeLorenzo has some new insights about a mid engined Corvette possibly getting the go ahead in September. I know a mid engined Corvette has pooped out in the past via drawing concepts, show cars etc, but it seems according to DeLorenzo this time it is almost a done deal. He seems to have spoken to some top GM officials on the subject and they will make the desicion in September. I was planning on buying a Vette next summer but if the mid engined Vette really is a reality this time, I will have to keep my 172,000 mile 1993 Trans Am until 2010 to get my Vette. I keep my cars a long time so if I by a Vette in 2008 I would have to keep it at least 14 years before I would consider a trade in. I know a lot can happen in 3 years but a mid engined Vette sounds great. Here is the link for what it is worth.

http://www.autoextremist.com/index.shtml

And oh, let's have your opinions on the matter if it is true.

After reading the Autoextremist article, I find the merit in the persuit of a mid engined 'vette. Still, with a BASE price of $72k, it is going to be moving up the pay scale a bit. I was a little stunned at that price point being mentioned then immediately followed by the words : should keep it's current demand at those prices...You mean to tell me every vette currently sold is selling for $72,000? I really do not think that to be the case at all. Most sell way below that, and do not know of any in our club that own one that was bought at sticker.

The idea appeals to me, as does the XLR replacement mentioned in the article. However, if GM rolls the dice and fails on this car, it may spell the end of the Corvette permanately.

After reading the Autoextremist article, I find the merit in the persuit of a mid engined 'vette. Still, with a BASE price of $72k, it is going to be moving up the pay scale a bit. I was a little stunned at that price point being mentioned then immediately followed by the words : should keep it's current demand at those prices...You mean to tell me every vette currently sold is selling for $72,000? I really do not think that to be the case at all. Most sell way below that, and do not know of any in our club that own one that was bought at sticker.

The idea appeals to me, as does the XLR replacement mentioned in the article. However, if GM rolls the dice and fails on this car, it may spell the end of the Corvette permanately.

I agree 100%. When I was reading the article I immediatly thought of the Cadillac Cien mid engined car being built alongside with the Vette. I am also afraid that a $72,000 base price might cost them a lot of sales because at that price point the Corvette is not really affordable to the masses. We will find out in a few weeks which way it will go.

Edited by prinzSD

If you thought the backlash from going back to exposed headlights was bad....

Note to GM: The current front-engine/rear transaxle setup works great in the Corvette and is even preferred by some drivers. Leave the Corvette alone. If you want a mid-engined Cien companion so badly, make it a Pontiac. THere are a lot of Fiero fans out there left wanting more.

This is the latest word on the street. To some degree, I expect this development to have a significant impact on GM's next generation of high- end sportcars.

Edited by keyzi747

If you consider $72K Corvettes, yes the Z06 have been a sale out for Chevy, but they only occupy about 20% of Corvertte Production.

GM will do that only if:

1. They want to make Corvette a niche brand.

2. Can still make profit despite losing number

3. Better have exotically classic material to justify that price.

I think one of Corvette's uniqueness is its price. It sits right between the ponies and expensive European snob moblies, and yet shows them its tailpipes when it comes to performance. It is a formula which is truly unique in the automobile industry, and losing that will be GM shooting in its foot.

Depends on what it looks like, and what the cost would be for a car of that caliber. I saw the video of the "mid engined" car, not sure if it was a Corvette type experiment or not, but it sure looked good.

A mid engined Corvette with GOOD looks for not much more than the existing Corvette would sell surely, jack the price up to Ford GT territory and it would be dead in the water after the first batch sold IMO...?

I say produce both, but call the mid-engine something different. Turning Corvette into a Chevrolet sub-brand (or even into a brand of its own) has been an idea tossed around for years. I say keep Corvette under Chevrolet, but allow the name to extend pass the single model...

An Idea for expanding the Corvette "brand":

I6 Porsche Boxter fighter = Z06 :duck:

HFV8 DI RWD coupe/convertible = Z08

HFV12 DI Mid-Engine = Z12

Cadillac could have versions of these cars as well.

The Caddy Z06 could go after BMW Z4, SLK, SC4?0

The Caddy Z08 would continue as XLR and go after the SL

The Caddy Z12 would be the Cien and take on exotics from Lamborghini & Ferrari

Flame away... :fiery:

Funny how nobody listens isn't it?

That is what the differance is bettween those who think and those who dream.

You got to know who to listen to. At least it is better here than other web sites.

Edited by hyperv6

There is one thing that keeps this believable in my head: Camaro!

Abandoning the price point to start with a base of $72k is one thing - UNLESS you have something that will fill the void. Camaro will do just that. In the past, Camaro and Corvette were so close in performance it was scary - but you could buy the Camaro for much less, in most cases HALF the price of the Corvette. Now, by moving the Corvette UP A CLASS, it leaves more of a gap between the two, thereby justifying the existence of an uber 'Vette and a Camaro on the lot.

Just my two cents...

If it even happens it will be more than 3 years before you see a production car, christ

it's be a 100% ground up design and even the semi-ready to go Zeta Camaro that we

saw as a concept in 2006 is not going to hit the streets for another two years.

I'm all for a mid-engined Corvette (and a chassis-mate CIEN) so long as they are not

REPLACING the standard FE/RWD Corvette. Just make BOTH and keep everyone happy.

First off, I understand that taking the Corvette mid-engine would be very risky, but this is the sort of pro-active, non-vanilla, risk-taking move that most of the people here have been begging GM to do more of. Yes, a $72k base for the Corvette would severely alter its position in the market, but at least they're thinking about ways to make it better and better instead of just "sticking with the formula that has worked."

That said, I agree that Vette should stay front engine, for 3 reasons.

1. The base Vette shouldn't be much more than $55k even with a Camaro in the lineup.

2. The Cien wouldn't be a good direct replacement to the XLR. I think Caddy needs the XLR even with a Cien in their lineup.

3. What about Pontiac? Why do they keep screwing over their "Performance" division by giving every other brand performance models? You want to put Pontiac back on the map in a hurry? Give them this mid-engine vehicle. I think a Pontiac lineup of ME, GTO, G8, RWD G6, and Solstice doesn't sound too bad.

First off, I understand that taking the Corvette mid-engine would be very risky, but this is the sort of pro-active, non-vanilla, risk-taking move that most of the people here have been begging GM to do more of. Yes, a $72k base for the Corvette would severely alter its position in the market, but at least they're thinking about ways to make it better and better instead of just "sticking with the formula that has worked."

1. The base Vette shouldn't be much more than $55k even with a Camaro in the lineup.

2. The Cien wouldn't be a good direct replacement to the XLR. I think Caddy needs the XLR even with a Cien in their lineup.

3. What about Pontiac? Why do they keep screwing over their "Performance" division by giving every other brand performance models? You want to put Pontiac back on the map in a hurry? Give them this mid-engine vehicle. I think a Pontiac lineup of ME, GTO, G8, RWD G6, and Solstice doesn't sound too bad.

That recipe for Pontiac is sound - I've been thinking along the same lines.

An ME Corvette is a foolish idea.

That is what the difference is between those who think and those who dream.

You got to know who to listen to. At least it is better here than other web sites.

Believe me I know. I visit other websites and the way they talk on there is like they have ZERO knowledge of the automotive world. Nothing wrong with dreaming, but a Fiero is more realistic than a mid-engine vette. Actually a modern Fiero might be kinda bad ass. :scratchchin:

I completely agree. But also, since I realize Pontiac will not be getting a ME Vette anytime soon, I support the Vette going mid engine, as long as the price is kept around where it is. Sometimes, tradition is a bad thing. When you can't improve something because of tradition, that's not good. There is always room for improvement, tradition just gets in the way.

There is a limit to what can be done with a front-engine rear drive layout, the Corvette is nearing that limit. GM has already stated a major obstacle is getting the power to the pavement on the Blue Devil. It would be much easier with a mid-engine layout. If it doesn't go mid-engine now, it will eventually. Either that, or it will need a car above it (Pontiac?) but even then, tradition gets in the way, because Corvette has to remain the top dog. The way I see it, to improve, one of those traditions have to be broken.

I support the Vette going mid engine, as long as the price is kept around where it is.

I agree with that, but I don't think it's feasible.

Sometimes, tradition is a bad thing. When you can't improve something because of tradition, that's not good.

...Corvette has to remain the top dog. The way I see it, to improve, one of those traditions have to be broken.

Absolutely one of the traditions has to go. I think taking the Vette mid-engine has a ton of risk with not a lot of potential payoff. That is unless they make a Vette brand, but that just provides more potential benefit, it's still very risky.

On the other hand, breaking the "Corvette it the top dog" tradition doesn't seem as risky. Don't forget, the Vette makes a lot of its bones on its affordability/performance combination, not solely performance prowess. So, I think you take less away from the Corvette tradition if you another model out performs it, but at a much higher price point. After all, did Porsche buyers think less of the 911 because they came out with the Carrera GT? (That's a little unfair, but still)

it would be awesome to see fieros back on the lot with the rest of the pontiac lineup, but wouldnt that compete with the solstice? especially a coupe if they brought it out? i think the fight between the 2 would be a problem... at least they would both be pontiacs that sold whichever was chosen though.

Bad idea, and I don't see it happening. This has been brought up and shelved so many times that it became old a long time ago. Sort of like the dual engined Vette concept back in the 80s.

I don't think that they would risk losing their support from the Vette community on this one. Its sort of like how they played with a FWD Camaro and dropped it due to the possibility of losing the fans.

As for reaching the limit of putting the power to the road, they've run into that problem many times. Then tires tech improved, suspension tech improved, etc. The limit is not yet reached. Check out the Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Vettes, that's around (or a little past) the limit for now.

And remember its not only 50+ years of tradition, its 50+ years of sales.

The Vette should continue to evolve as it always has.

The Cien should take over the top performer slot.

As for the Pontiac, it would be at the opposite end of the scale from the Solstice (no conflict there). It should also focus on overal performance vs. just power and come in below the top Vette in price and HP/torque. I'd like to see it as a 6cyl. with the basic platform shared with the Cien.

I don't think this is a good idea at all. I mean how many mid-engine cars has GM built? Fiero, cattalina. Not that many, And It could hurt the huge popularity and reputation that that the C6 has earned. plus we all know GM will charge alot more for a C7, a 70k plus is a lot to put out for a car.

LOL.... Introducing the new/old Corvette Classic!

I feel confident in what we'll see and its not a motor behind the drivers seat.

The C7 can still be be mid-engined and have the engine in front of the passenger compartment. Maybe the rumor of a mid-engine Corvette is 'Mercedes SLR' instead of 'Ferrari F430'.

Um you are a little off in your math, the article said that for the price of a fully loaded C6 convertable you could get a mid engined C7 I check GM Buy Power and for a C6 convertable and it is as follows: MSRP $58,995.00 and $66,495.00 fully loaded, granted these figures are for 2007 (2008 was not yet available) but they are not the $72,000 that you are quoting which doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is a HUGE difference in the monthly payments and the amound of intrest you are going to pay.

Edited by Fletch Radford