NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spies blow Jaguar XF’s cover

51 posts in this topic

Posted Image

These are the pictures the world has been waiting for – almost! Auto Express has got its hands on the first scoop images that finally reveal a tan­talising glimpse of the thrilling new Jaguar XF undisguised.

Caught on camera, this production-ready prototype was spied as it was driven on to a covered trailer. Only the car’s new-look face and its roof were hidden from view.

But although our pictures show the rear three-quarter alone, they reveal exactly what drivers have to look forward to when the wraps come off the newcomer next week!

The importance of this model can not be overestimated. Success in this sector of the market would effectively guarantee the future of Jaguar, which has endured a number of lean years financially, and is currently up for sale.

While the sumptuous bodywork certainly offers a taste of what’s to come, it’s the finely crafted detailing that is perhaps most interesting.

Central to the bold new look at the rear is the large leaping cat emblem mounted on the bootlid. Trapezoidal exhaust pipes, plus the bold chromed grille on the car’s flank, only serve to enhance its performance promise.

The tail-light clusters are virtually identical to those originally seen on the C-XF concept, which debuted at the Detroit Motor Show in January.

Beneath the stylish bodywork lies a rear-wheel-drive chassis, which is reported to be a heavily reworked ver­sion of that underpinning the S-Type this car replaces. Low sills and huge alloys give the XF great road presence, and add to the sporty appearance.

Jag bosses are keeping their cards close to their chest with regard to what’s under the bonnet. But a really close look at our pictures reveals the car is wearing an SV8 badge.

That means this model will come with the innovative automatic gearbox selector that rises up out of the centre console when the ignition is turned. And it also confirms power is taken from a 4.2-litre V8.

The engine is tuned to offer more than 320bhp, enabling the XF to outperform the S-Type. What’s more, it provides a taste of what is expected from the 5.0-litre R version of the XF, which is tipped to deliver 500bhp thanks to a large superchar­ger and carefully tuned internals.

Prices for the new range have still to be confirmed, but Auto Express understands that potential customers can expect to pay a small premium over the S-Type – meaning the XF is likely to cost from £30,000.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Very nice! I like the profile of the jumping jaguar on the trunk of the car.

The XF looks very competitive style-wise.

I feel like I'm looking at a Porsche.

This thing's a stunner.

Very slick.

There was an actual photo of the production car from the brochure on the web yesterday, but a few sites were asked to remove it. You may be able to find it somewhere if you do a search.

A-pillar rearward, I'm in love. The hood is too low and short for my taste. And I was in love with the concept headlights, but I guess they were just that... concept headlights. *sighs*

I know I am probably in the minority but so far, and I'll admit we haven't seen the whole thing and like none of the details, I don't like it. It looks generic and boring. Almost Volvo like.

I know I am probably in the minority but so far, and I'll admit we haven't seen the whole thing and like none of the details, I don't like it. It looks generic and boring. Almost Volvo like.

as soon as i saw the pic with the front of the car i thought volvo too cause of the grill

Aston Martin tailights and details again. Thanks Ian Callum for your breakthrough designs once again, yeah right!

I think this is going to be a great looking car. Jaguars (especially the new XK) seem to have a lot of eye catching appeal. They are also more rare than a Mercedes or BMW, so they seem more special (not the x-type). I hope this car's performance matches up to it's styling. The concept looked good, the spy pics look good, it is supposed to be the next James Bond car, this car could be a winner. Probably won't be a huge seller, but Jaguar needs to restore the glory days, and forget about the $35,000 cars and outdated models, th XF and XK look like a good start.

I wish Cadillac had some models like this, the STS and DTS both base under $45,000, and don't stir much excitement at all.

Too bad it's no longer Ford, or I would root for it. Looks nice, though.

Jaguar and Land Rover aren't sold yet... you can continue rooting for it.

I think the back end is the most beautiful part of the car and the closest to the concept. The front, on the other hand, based on the one photo, looks to gotten rid of the best part of the concept: the thin, sexy headlights in favor of a weirdly morphed version of the traditional dual socket ones instead.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Whoa- this car has changed markedly from the concept- primarily in proportion & detail (from what can be seen in the pics). Mainstreaming any level of inspiration is NOT what jag needs- where is the lower greenhouse... the short overhangs... the nice wheels? Bah- pass.

I wish Cadillac had some models like this, the STS and DTS both base under $45,000, and don't stir much excitement at all.

CTS?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor