http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1lRbez9qI

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERVFazA2XY...ted&search=

1988 Pontiac LeMans commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvaM62QbcRY

1987 Pontiac Brand Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kepvmntqsz4

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The 89 Bonneville SSE commercial kicks ass. I wish I would have gotten one of those instead of the GP.

I love how they move the auto shifter with authority, like it's a stick.

Still, as 80s corny as these commercials seem, they're at least more about the product than the deal, unlike most of today's GM ads.

I love this 1975 Sunbird ad! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f4Ix6sia8

1989 Pontiac Bonneville Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsDwtEMJ5g...ted&search=

How ironic, that Bonneville is by far THE LEAST COOL vehicle in

that commercial, the P-51D Mustang & Peterbilt Cement Mixer

are a billion times cooler than some FWD car from the 1980s.

How ironic, that Bonneville is by far THE LEAST COOL vehicle in

that commercial, the P-51D Mustang & Peterbilt Cement Mixer

are a billion times cooler than some FWD car from the 1980s.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

C'mon Fly, seriously... it's a 1989 Bonneville... that car was very

cool in 1989, kind of cool in 1991, not so cool at all in 1992 and

by 1995 it was an goofy used dinosaur.

Today that Bonneville, MINT, low miles is worth $2000

That Peterbilt Cement Mixer is worth TEN times that

even with one million miles on the odometer and the

P-51, well... I'd say a cool half-million for an airworthy

Mustang is a bargain 62 years after the end of WWII.

C'mon Fly, seriously... it's a 1989 Bonneville... that car was very

cool in 1989, kind of cool in 1991, not so cool at all in 1992 and

by 1995 it was an goofy used dinosaur.

Today that Bonneville, MINT, low miles is worth $2000

That Peterbilt Cement Mixer is worth TEN times that

even with one million miles on the odometer and the

P-51, well... I'd say a cool half-million for an airworthy

Mustang is a bargain 62 years after the end of WWII.

50's cars in the 70's weren't cool, give the 89 Bonneville another 10 - 15 years, you may be surprised. I'm with you Fly.

I wonder, maybe in 20 years a 1989 Bonneville will go through Barrett Jackson auction for $250,000 :rolleyes:

Here is one for 68. Its a 1991 Sunbird converted to RWD with a 350.

My first car was an almost brand new 1994 Pontiac Sunbird.

If it had been this 1991 SunChicken instead I mihgt not

have ever bought the subsequent 40-something cars cause

I'd still be driving it. It's damn cool to see a J-body Sunbird

spinning its rear wheels.

It's almost like one of those things that makes you question

your existance & rethink your life.

Now THIS should be a Pontiac commercial:

When I was in high school back in the 1980's, That Bonneville SSE like in that commercial was one of the cars I wanted.

Not a Firebird Trans Am or an Iroc-Z.... or even a Lincoln Continental Mark-VII?

Those Bonnevilles always looked very ungailny to me. Inside they were kind of

cool if you could stomach the fact that it looked like a computer puked on the

steering wheel, more buttons than a 747 cockpit. :P

Not a Firebird Trans Am or an Iroc-Z.... or even a Lincoln Continental Mark-VII?

Those Bonnevilles always looked very ungailny to me. Inside they were kind of

cool if you could stomach the fact that it looked like a computer puked on the

steering wheel, more buttons than a 747 cockpit. :P

When I was in high school, I did not desire nor want the cars others wanted. I have never been a follower. I am comfortable with who I am. I wanted a 1985 Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS, 1985 Pontiac Parisienne. You must remember, I was in high school when GM downsized most of the fullsized cars. There were not that many options, and GM was not in good shape. The Ninety Eight had been downsized, and initially I was nit a fan of the 1985-1990 model. The Touring Sedan changed that. Lincoln Town Car was nice, but it was not a GM product.

Let me share a few stories. I will never forget when I went to the high school library, and they had the new issue of Car and Driver and they test drove the 1987 Bonneville. I stared at those photos for the longest time. I was a fan of the previous G Body and B Body Bonneville. It was the only GM car that did not go through a drastic downsizing. Bonneville G Body was 200 inches. Bonneville H Body was a 198.7 inches long. The only thing I hated about the era of GM was the downsizing and those exterior door handles. It seemed to me GM was going backwards and not forwards.

I remember the Motor Trend magazine when they were talking about Pontiac's future, and they showed the new for 86 Pontiac 6000 STE. I was so caught up with the steering wheel controls. Pontiac used to do a like of new tech things back in the day. When the Bonneville SSE showed up with that steering wheel, and looked the way it did with the Cadillac climate control, it was a winner.

I remember in high school for my television production class, I went to dealerships. I got to ride in the new for 1988 Regal and Grand Prix when they first came out. The insides of those cars were out there. Grand Prix had digital gauges and bucket seats in the back and more. They actually have decontented Grand Prix over the years.

So Sixty Eight, no.. I was not into what others wanted. I was into other things.

I find analog gauges boring. Too many cars look the same on the inside now. They have the came set up, and same angles.

It is about style, room, comfort and luxury and quality for me.

We must be about the same age. American cars, in general, back then were like Rodney Dangerfield to rags like Car & Driver - no respect. Remember the long-term test C&D did on the new '86 Riv T-Type? The thing nearly fell apart on them so badly that GM took the car back early. The SSEi generally got pretty good reviews, but most Bonnevilles sold were the LE versions with wire-wheel covers (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it's things like that that tended to make Pontiac look like a wannabe. get real: "We Build Excitement" (and the tufted-pillow Parisienne, cushy Grand-Prix, Buick-like Bonneville G, and Iron Duke Firebird). In any case, I was surprised how much I liked learning to drive on the new Pontiac 6000 LE after having read only bad things in the car mags.

quote name='NINETY EIGHT REGENCY' date='Aug 26 2007, 08:45 AM' post='314515']

When I was in high school, I did not desire nor want the cars others wanted. I have never been a follower. I am comfortable with who I am. I wanted a 1985 Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS, 1985 Pontiac Parisienne. You must remember, I was in high school when GM downsized most of the fullsized cars. There were not that many options, and GM was not in good shape. The Ninety Eight had been downsized, and initially I was nit a fan of the 1985-1990 model. The Touring Sedan changed that. Lincoln Town Car was nice, but it was not a GM product.

Let me share a few stories. I will never forget when I went to the high school library, and they had the new issue of Car and Driver and they test drove the 1987 Bonneville. I stared at those photos for the longest time. I was a fan of the previous G Body and B Body Bonneville. It was the only GM car that did not go through a drastic downsizing. Bonneville G Body was 200 inches. Bonneville H Body was a 198.7 inches long. The only thing I hated about the era of GM was the downsizing and those exterior door handles. It seemed to me GM was going backwards and not forwards.

I remember the Motor Trend magazine when they were talking about Pontiac's future, and they showed the new for 86 Pontiac 6000 STE. I was so caught up with the steering wheel controls. Pontiac used to do a like of new tech things back in the day. When the Bonneville SSE showed up with that steering wheel, and looked the way it did with the Cadillac climate control, it was a winner.

I remember in high school for my television production class, I went to dealerships. I got to ride in the new for 1988 Regal and Grand Prix when they first came out. The insides of those cars were out there. Grand Prix had digital gauges and bucket seats in the back and more. They actually have decontented Grand Prix over the years.

So Sixty Eight, no.. I was not into what others wanted. I was into other things.

I find analog gauges boring. Too many cars look the same on the inside now. They have the came set up, and same angles.

It is about style, room, comfort and luxury and quality for me.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

buyacargetacheck' date='Aug 26 2007, 12:50 PM' post='314553']

We must be about the same age. American cars, in general, back then were like Rodney Dangerfield to rags like Car & Driver - no respect. Remember the long-term test C&D did on the new '86 Riv T-Type? The thing nearly fell apart on them so badly that GM took the car back early. The SSEi generally got pretty good reviews, but most Bonnevilles sold were the LE versions with wire-wheel covers (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it's things like that that tended to make Pontiac look like a wannabe. get real: "We Build Excitement" (and the tufted-pillow Parisienne, cushy Grand-Prix, Buick-like Bonneville G, and Iron Duke Firebird). In any case, I was surprised how much I liked learning to drive on the new Pontiac 6000 LE after having read only bad things in the car mags.

We might be. I know Pontiac Custom S is... That is so true. That is when that whole import tide really was starting. Camry and Accords were compacts back then too. I remember that Riviera. I always referred to the 86-88 Riviera as the Skylark with a tv screen. It was only a seven inch difference between them and Riviera was slightly wider. That car was a huge mess. They got the styling right by 1989. Yeah, most of them were the LE versions, but by the 1990's it was SE's that sold the best. Then it was SLE's by the time it died. The last Bonneville the 2000-2005 recaptured the magic of the 1987-1990 and earlier Bonnevilles. It seemed lost for a generation. The only thing they never got right again was the interior. Pontiac and Buick and Oldsmobile were supposed top be three different divisions, but were clearly on the same mission. I read somewhere that because Oldsmobile was doing so well, Pontiac and Buick wanted in on that action. The GM wanted to distinguish them by making Pontiac what it was supposed to be. They used the visual tricks that really got out of hand by the 1990's. It was not backed up by performance again until the 1990's. I remember when that Grand Prix came out in 1987 as a 1988. The new W Bodies were supposed to turn the tide that all GM cars look a like. At the time they did. Toronado was a 187 inches long!! It looked like the cheaper Calais. I remember when Automobile magazine did a huge article called Three Card Monte. It was Regal, Grand Prix and Cutlass Supreme. In that car of the year contest, GM took all three top spots. Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme and Beretta. Even when it died, Parisienne was still selling well. The magazines like 6000 STE. Here is proof:

Then the 6000 STE and Bonneville SSE were too close to each other in terms of equipment and features. Did you noticed how the G Bodies were 200 inches long, and when they switched to W Bodies they were a 188 inches long, and kept creeping back up in size? Grand Prix is a 198 inches long now. That is why Bonneville is dead now. Grand Prix and Bonneville got too close in size and features.

Oh Sixty Eight.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OB9Ovm4QmNI&amp...ted&search=

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The car mags loved the STE. I used to hate it because my mom drove a Cressida and the mags used to dump on that thing left and right. But the 6000STE could do no wrong. I admit even now I love the way the fog lamps look with the quad headlights. And like I said even the basic 6000 was a pretty good car. Of course, none of GM's front-drive cars of the time were very good on the reliability side.

What's also funny is that where the mags loved the STE, the very similar Buick Century T-Type got no such pass. Maybe Pontiac's ad agency was more on-time with their money drops than Buick's. Might be a good question for the Autoextremist.

The magazines like 6000 STE.

The car mags loved the STE. I used to hate it because my mom drove a Cressida and the mags used to dump on that thing left and right. But the 6000STE could do no wrong. I admit even now I love the way the fog lamps look with the quad headlights. And like I said even the basic 6000 was a pretty good car. Of course, none of GM's front-drive cars of the time were very good on the reliability side.

What's also funny is that where the mags loved the STE, the very similar Buick Century T-Type got no such pass. Maybe Pontiac's ad agency was more on-time with their money drops than Buick's. Might be a good question for the Autoextremist.

It is funny how things have changed.. The love the Toyota Camry and dump on every American car every chance they get. I remember Cressida. That car eventually became the top end Camry and the Avalon from Toyota. The 6000 STE was indeed a looker. They were going after Audi at the time with that car. It could have worked, but GM lost their way around the late 1980's...

I remember the Century. That car and the Ciera were the only A bodies that used a 3.8 liter V6.

It is the sins of the past GM is paying for now...

Did anyone download or save these because some of the them have been taken down... I am working on a project. I would apperciate any help.