2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Pricing

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Pricing
Posted Image
Date posted: 08-24-2007 | Link to Original Article @ Edmunds

DETROIT — Pontiac has announced that its new 2008 G6 GXP, now the top model in the G6 lineup, will be priced at $26,795 for the sedan and $26,595 for the coupe. Both prices include a $650 delivery fee. The 2008 G6 GT is priced at $22,995 for both models.

In addition, the Street Edition package can be added to either G6 GXP variant. Cost is $990, and it includes a new hood with scoops, plus a hammerhead spoiler unique for both the coupe and sedan models. The coupe's wing is larger than the sedan's.

All G6 GXPs are powered by a 3.6-liter DOHC V6 that produces 252 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Standard features include a performance-tuned suspension with antilock brakes, 18-inch aluminum-alloy five-spoke wheels and special exterior and interior touches.

The G6 GXP will arrive in dealerships in mid-September.

What this means to you: GXP fun for your G6 will cost you a few extra grand.

This car is so over done when the G8 is just about right for the general market.

People are over the over done stying thing like it or not. This car will show they made the right choice with the Solstice and G8 to tone things down.

Check out the comments on the GXP on Autoblog vs the comments on the G8 from last week. The unwashed Non GM masses are so very down on this car ans very much positive on the G8.

These non GM lovers are the important people that need to buy these cars and the G8 looks to be the one if priced right that will win with them over.

Edited by hyperv6

This car is ugly. This is typical Pontiac, they think a bigger grille with more plastic honeycomb, hood scoops, and tacked on spoilers look good, but it mostly looks tacky and cheap, much like the plastic body cladding of the 90s cars. The other problem is will people want to pay near $27,000 for a car that has a $18,000 counter part that is on Avis and Alamo lots. The G6's interior is very rental car like, big wheels and a spoiler don't help that, plus 250 hp isn't that great, a Camry is 268.

The Malibu is way better than this car, it looks classier, looks more expensive, better interior, same powertrain. I think someone would be nuts to buy this over the Aura or Malibu. If Pontiac were smart (which they are not) they would have put the 2.0 liter turbo four in this car. Then they have 260 hp, 260 lb-ft and about 4 mpg better than the V6 makes. Otherwise this is just an Aura XR rebadge with a far worse interior and uglier exterior. This is why Pontaic's image is in the toilet, and the Solstice is losing sales. If the Solstice had a different badge on front it would sell better.

Torrana would have been nice. The G6 should not be front drive. The Malibu, Aura, Impala, Lacrosse, Cobalt, Lucerne, G5, HHR, Vibe, etc are all front drive. VS GM's rear drive cars that cost less than a CTS: Solstice, Sky. They have enough front drive rebadges as it is, might as well make a rear drive sedan.

Why do people insist on keeping front wheel drive vehicles in Pontiac's lineup? If GM is planning on repositioning Pontiac as a true and pure perfomance division in the Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealer network, then the front wheel drive vehicles have to go. Pontiac and Buick will no longer be a full scale makes that offer a version of every GM product. From what I understand, Pontiac and Buick will be niche makes that offer brand specific products to smaller portions of the buying public. Both brands' products need to be very focused; the products should be designed and engineered to satisfy specific customers. Since the brands will be niche brands, their sales goals will not be as big as in the past.

Pontiac's lineup should consist of the following products:

* Affordable rear wheel drive roadster/coupe (Solstice).

* Compact rear wheel drive sedan/coupe/convertible on the Alpha platform.

* Midsize rear wheel drive sedan/coupe/convertible on the Zeta platform.

* Performance rear wheel drive coupe/convertible on the Zeta platform.

This is all Pontiac needs to fill its niche in the Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealer network. The brand needs to become an affordable performance division that offers alternatives to pricey American/European luxury makes. If you want to buy a front wheel drive midsize sedan on the Epsilon II platform, then go to Chevrolet, Saturn, or Buick (and I guess Saab, if you really want to count them).

Additional note to Pontiac, be proud of your American heritage and lose the silly alpha-numeric ("G5, G6, G8") model designations.

Back to the subject at hand. The car in question is hideous and hopefully a leftover relic of Pontiac's past.

Edited by cire

I will go on record saying this:

Sure the G6 GXP is ugly, but I never see anyone bitching about the gawdawful Lancer with all it's tacked on $h!, or the WRX which looks like a typical earth nugget Subaru that has been in the back lot of Pep Boys for too long.

Those vehicles don't need to worry about looks. Underneath, they are superb drivers vehicles. The G6 is neither a performer or a looker.

Besides the wheels, I actually like it.

I fell in love with a white GXP coupe with tinted windows and sport/ground effects package (2006 model, I think) that I saw on the road a few months ago. Looked totally awesome. I wouldn't mind owning one, especially at this price. Has to be white, though.

Honestly, I say its time for Pontiac to move away from the 90's twin port holed look. Heck, they could slap on a red arrow on that torana and it would still look good to me. Or they could keep the two port theme, but redesign the holes into something more modern and sleeker looking. Give Pontiac a fresh face instead of something that harkens back to a mid 90's Grand Am. The G8 looks nice, but at the same time they could've went with a totally new look for Pontiac and surprised everybody. Maybe someday Pontiac will reinvent itself and people will take notice.

Honestly, I say its time for Pontiac to move away from the 90's twin port holed look. Heck, they could slap on a red arrow on that torana and it would still look good to me. Or they could keep the two port theme, but redesign the holes into something more modern and sleeker looking. Give Pontiac a fresh face instead of something that harkens back to a mid 90's Grand Am. The G8 looks nice, but at the same time they could've went with a totally new look for Pontiac and surprised everybody. Maybe someday Pontiac will reinvent itself and people will take notice.

You may have a good idea. I could see Pontiac using a grille design that resembles the original Vibe grille in concept (the original Vibe grille design; not the updated Vibe grille that resembles the Solstice grille). It would be different and might keep GM from "Pontiac-izing" inappropriate products for the brand because the grille is more structural in design (it would be harder to slap this type of grille on a Chevy Cobalt than the current flat twin nostril grille).