Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

HHR is hot, so GM raises target again

Northstar

Instead of repeating the same old thing over and over, why don't you open your ears? The HHR beat the PT in a M/T comparison, and reviews have generally been positive. As GM products get better, so will the reviews. I find it ironic that you won't give the media a chance at reviewing a new GM product, yet you accuse the media for not giving GM a chance.

[post="30348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just like it'll take "Years for GM to gain credibility in the market and press" it's going to take years for the press to be forgiven by me (If ever) a few months of positives don't make up for years of negatives and a bankrupt GM and Ford.

Motor Trend is always the push over... Automobile, Edmunds Consumer Reports and Car & Driver (Which already trashed the HHR in their "preview"--in quotations because they're so slow it can't really be called a preview.) will be the real measure.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the HHR is the right idea in slightly the wrong packaging. You are giving people a cheap to purchase & cheap to drive alternative to SUVs. It's is as extremely practical as it's price is insanely good. If the HHR had a modern, SUV-like front end, I think these things would sell even better (and it would shed the "me-too cruiser" label to boot).

I think the HHR is the right idea in slightly the wrong packaging.  You are giving people a cheap to purchase & cheap to drive alternative to SUVs.  It's is as extremely practical as it's price is insanely good.  If the HHR had a modern, SUV-like front end, I think these things would sell even better (and it would shed the "me-too cruiser" label to boot).

[post="35726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good idea... a shrunken Suburban would be interesting, and kind of funny

• 2 weeks later...
I think the HHR will turn into what people think of the PT Cruiser or the Mini Cooper. They were really cookl when they came out, selling like crazy, but the unique new design, and the fact that they were everywhere got people really bored of them. They used to be real head turners, but now you say,"Oh, it's just another Mini Cooper."

• 3 weeks later...
And I thought that this was a website for car enthusiasts, not corporate me-too boys! Hold production--- why? Some people buy cars to use, not treat them as investments! If a car is selling well, it means that it is meeting needs-- of the buyer, not some corporate well-wisher who has other agendas! I know that a lot of GM insiders are on this website, but your vision of "success" for a vehicle, is different that the real world! I want to buy an HHR, but can't find one without all the "jukebox" subscription goodies on it! And the dealer can't order me one made to order? Who issued that decree? :huh:

I'll tell you what, if, or better as soon as it goes into production, the two door HHR EXACTLY like the SEMA HHR goes into production, GM will EASILY sell over 200k a year.

That is if they get rid of the stupid interior in only gray or tan. GIVE US SOME FLASH INSIDE!

[post="36359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

While I agree that happened with all of the vehicles you mentioned, this is supposed to be a high volume seller. I say sell as many as you can right now and develop whats next. The cars you mentioned are no longer the rage, but I bet GM would love to have a solid 'you can count on XXXX sales/month' vehicle. Especially one that can exist with low or no incentives. Toyota nor Nissans strength is built on wow that is a rare vehicle cars, it is built on that vehicle will sell this month, next month, etc.

$69/month for a Cobalt lease?

[post="48382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah... It certainly caught my attention. The Red Tag event must be discounting the crap out of it (base model I'm assuming). Of course you probably have to have a higher credit rating than God to get that price...

My point is, the HHR by comparison is barely discounted at all.

Edit: Turns out it was $89/month. Still, nothing to sneeze at. Edited by aaaantoine

HHR still has markups of $3000 here. Thats down from the $5000 it was a month ago, but a markup is still a markup.

[post="48411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's probably because sales for all cars decrease in the Winter months and this is the dealer's attempt to keep them buying.

I know one thing, I would buy an HHR right now if I had the money.  I like almost everything about it.  Wanna hear my 1 gripe:  I think the guages are a little small.  Other than that "I'm lovin' it." :lol:

[post="30373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree about that gripe. The gauges look as if they were designed with a smaller steering wheel in mind.

I sat in one the other day. Cool car all around. I was uncomfortable sitting inside, though, because I felt too closed in. All the windows seemed extra small from inside the thing. The A pillar is a huge blindspot.

This is definitely a trendy vehicle. I think it's pretty cool, but its sales rush won't last forever.

I don't mind the guages as much as I hate the cheap looking cloth seats. GM has to get off these pale, washed out looking fabrics.

Where did you find one with cloth to look at? All I have seen so far are tricked out 2LT models with leather seats & every other gadget that you could possibly throw at these cars. Not at all what I am looking for. Anybody got a clue as to when they are going to offer the blown engine option from the Cobalt SS ?

Just the question I was expecting to read, as I was ready to ask it myself.

So, just where are all those so-called analysts and armchair experts declaring the HHR as a flop now? Are they still pretending in the fairytale land where everything they write and say is not unlike the Dead Sea Scrolls or stone tablets carved by the hand of God? Oh wait, I know...they're sucking TOE JAM!

It's times like this that I'm actually not satisfied; rather, I'm annoyed by what else they would spew their negative rhetoric about that would only seem to be written or said to fuel the mob mentality of the auto "journalist" society. The next time I read one of their articles might seem too soon, and then they can suck on my big toe after I kick them in the teeth. Edited by ShadowDog

someone needs to do a 'chop of the HHR pickup - standard or small extended cab, with a bed kinda like the old classic chevy pickups. :)  Now THAT would be a good side project for HHR production!

[post="52724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's kinda been done here.