down payment in hand

ocnblu

Let's say you're heading out to the dealership today to buy a new vehicle. This is not a "money is no object" vehicle, but something you can realistically afford to pay for. You've saved up for your downpayment. What vehicle, right now today, makes you want to sign the dotted line?

Assuming I'm not heading down there to replace the Cobalt (I wouldn't even think of that), for my 2nd car I'd throw practicality out the window. I would strongly consider getting a gently used CPO GTO, SSR, or even a Corvette. If I'm limited to new cars, I'd get, in this order: Solstice (only if I can get one without being raped by the dealer) GTO (torrid red or impulse blue) G6 GTP coupe (electric blue) HHR (I'd buy it in either laser blue, orange, or purple, and paint it black above the beltline) Cobalt SS/SC (victory red, replace wing with LS style wing)

HHR Impala 300C I have a dog, so the HHR would probably win out.

Assuming I had up to $32K: - Pontiac GTO - Dodge Charger - Cadillac CTS - BMW 325Ci - Infiniti G35 (coupe) - Chevy Silverado, 6.0 liter with the 5-speed manual Assuming I only had $22K to spend: - Pontiac Solstice - Saturn Sky - Mini Cooper S - Ford Crown Victoria - Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged - Dodge SRT4

Practical New
G6 GTP Coupe (6 speed)
CTS
Legacy GT Sedan
Colbalt SS Supercharged (with smaller decklid spoiler)
Monte Carlo SS

Practical Used
Last Gen Rivera
99-04 N-body Coupe (not sure wich I like more, probly an alero) with 3400 V6
Grand Prix GTP Coupe
Eldorado ETC
Olds Auora (any gen, as long as it has the 4.0L V8)

Impractical New
GTO with sport appearance package
Solstice/Sky
RX-8
350Z

Impractical Used
300ZX
Last Gen RX-7
4th Gen V8 F-body

Closest to my range, although I couldn't currently afford any of them... (I'm going for $23K and less) New: Sky, Solstice, Cobalt SSS, SRT4, '06 Eclipse GT 6 speed Used: Mustang GT or better, 4-5 Gen 'Vette, Camaro IROC-Z, 98-02 SS, Eclipse Edited by NOS2006

The C6. I still have a love-hate thing going for it. One day I want to get it, the next day I don't. I took my Silverado in for service last week and I was going to talk to a salesman about the C6, but I didn't have a chance. The other vehicle that I'm infatuated with is the HHR.

Assuming I had up to $32K:

- Pontiac GTO
- Dodge Charger
- Cadillac CTS
- BMW 325Ci
- Infiniti G35 (coupe)
- Chevy Silverado, 6.0 liter with the 5-speed manual
Assuming I only had $22K to spend:

- Pontiac Solstice
- Saturn Sky
- Mini Cooper S
- Ford Crown Victoria
- Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged
- Dodge SRT4

[post="26453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can't get the silverado w/ the 6 litre and 5 speed can you? I think you can only get it with the weak engines.

Newness: GTO with a stick Grand Prix GXP and a spare tire Mazdaspeed6 Classics: 69 Grand Prix 69 Caddy convertible 70 Monte Carlo 76 CS/Regal 69 Delta 88 The in-between years: 1st gen GS300 290-horse LS400 89 Supra turbo Z32 300ZX turbo 3000GT VR-4 89 Turbo Trans Am (if I could find one) If I could afford European maintenance: Volvo 850 turbo Porsche 944 turbo Rover SDI Vitesse 94 S500

I'm pretty sure you can still special order a 6.0L 2500 ex-cab wiht the 5-speed... just checked the Chevy website. 6.6 diesel (duramax) available wiht the 6-sped manual or 6-speed auto 6.0 liter gas LS engine available with the 5-speed or automatics. The problem is most @$$hole managers at Chevy dealers want to sell out of stock and are lazy F&$#s that do not like to special order so they will TELL you you can't get it and try to sell you a ATUO instead. I used to be a Chevy salesman wiht a couple of these managers as my superiors. <_<

There are so many cars i want. It would be a reproduction Delorean. followed by a 1990 Caprice Classic, oh wait already have it. Reproduction Delorean CTS-V in that mirror paint. GTO Sky a Buick

funny that blu posted this topic. I thought i was close to selling my car, so I went shopping this weekend. Keep in mind I need something with room and practicality so I've narrowed it to Nissan Quest, Fords 500 and Freestyle, Mits Galant In fact I emailed the Ford dealer by my house about a new leftover 2005 500 base model all wheel drive they marked down AGAIN to an absurdly low price. The Galant only exists due to it still has a good combination of power, sporty handling, nice seats, and lots of room in the front for two and in the back for the kid. Oh sure, there's other cars I'd rather be driving, but for what I think I can get for what i pay and what I need, these are the leading candidates. I don't care for some occasional sluggishness in the Fords and the Quest reliability worries me, but honestly, it seems like there are VERY few cars that don't have some sort of glaring weakness. I wouldn't mind a smaller car, actually with high gas prices, but its hard to go small when you have a kid and the associated stuff. I would love a GTO 6-speed or some other fun car like a GXP GP or something. With some of those kinds of cars, they sometimes are too pricey and maybe in some cases impractical for me (2 dr, RWD only, etc.). The Impala SS and Gradn Prix GXP I would really like but they are simply not priced for the middle markets. They are too expensive. Go price some new 06's and you'll see the whole 'value pricing' thing is a big farce. I like the new Fusion and Milan, but I already have a low slung, nice looking, semi-cushy, smaller mid size car with a decent interior but I really just need something different right now. Space and utility are kindof my thing right now. And the 500 is almost cheaper right now anyways. if i need to go cheap I'll just get a vue 4 cylinder 5 speed, or keep what i've got. i think if i could get my fun car, I'd be fine with a BMW 3 series with manual and sport pkg. or a 5 series, although both now are ugly. other cars considered -fusion/milan -mazda6 hatch -maxima/altima -escape/tribute -element -jetta and passat 06 -ion (2.4 with 5 sp manual), cobalt, focus, mazda3, hhr, pt cruiser -impala, malibu, GP, G6, LaCrosse -used S60 manual, X-type manual, 9/3 or 9/5 manual, or aurora -another aztek because I can't find any other cars out there with a decent comfortable ride, lots of space and utility, normal mpg and nice interior for not an arm and a leg. Edited by regfootball

Im pretty interested in this G6 GTP for reasons like the 6 speed, new engine and I really like the look in black.

GTO but would be better to stay lower priced. I could enjoy a cheap CTS but Id still want the suspension and roof so it would be getting up there too.

Comp G :(

Now if there was a L32 w/6stick real Lacrosse coupe - forget about it, load it up and let me have it.

I did just price out a Cobalt SS loaded that even gets pricy.

Bone dry Solstice is best deal for sumer fun and some SCCA thrills.

after speaking with the Ford dealer today, Ford is stepping up to the plate with AGGRESSIVE programs on the 500/freestyle and who knows, maybe I'll have one by the end of the week? the manufacturers must be scared shitless about another bad month and I'm guessing Ford is getting proactive and is gonna stimulate buisness on their slow moving non-truck models. either that, or the arrival of the Fusion means 'gotta dump the chicago trio'. I don't care. 3 rows of seats so i can shove the moth-in-law in the back. Edited by regfootball