Considering purchasing a Silverado 1500 Classic. Any comments? I would like to make sure the truck can fulfill my needs.

DavidCL2

I am a part time law student, but during the day I refurbish rental properties for a relative. I used to use a 2000 dodge caravan to haul my equipment, but that is not available anymore. I have a 2 man crew. Would a regular work truck comftorably carry 3 people (or at least semi-comftorably, I would really preffer to save the ~$4k and get the regular cab model especially since it would enable me to make the whole purchase in cash)? Would you recommend the vinyl or cloth interior? I have $3500 saved up on my GMcard, that along with the current $5000 rebate plus eager dealers makes it possible for me to buy a plain jane V6 work truck with cash. I may be able to swing an automatic + ac without dipping into credit, but is it really important to have an automatic transmission? I do have a second car, an 07 g6 value package so for long trips I will use that.

Do you guys think the v6 engine is sufficient (it seems to be the only avalable option from my local dealers, but if its worth the trip and expense I will hunt down a v8, there has to be one within a couple hundred miles).

Is it important to purchase the eaton locking rear differential if I never plan to take the truck off road (I am only looking at the 2 wheel drive models)?

This will be my first truck purchase and I am clueless as to what is important for long term hauling!

Thanks in advance

David Cappell

P.S.

Do you feel the incentives will go up in the near future (labor day etc?) I can push of the purchase for a little while if necissary.

A regular cab, long bed Work Truck with cloth or vinyl interior, 4.3L V6, automatic, air and locking differential would make a fine, long lasting workhorse of a truck. You really cannot go wrong. Go for it while the 1500 Classics are still around to choose your colors.

A buddy of mine bought an '07 Silverado RC/LB- he says the V-6 has plenty of power for him.

3 in a regular cab is no problem- these are true full-size vehicles as far as width goes.

I would choose vinyl over cloth and get a cheapie seat cover to insulate agains temp extremes. Vinyl will last longer and is easier to clean.

A/C isn't standard at this point? Even if it's not, I doubt you'd find many without it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just contacted GM marketing and they are hunting down a GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado Classic with the 4.8 V8 regular car long box 4speed manual AC and prefferably a locking rear diff. There are so few of these left I know I am going to have to travel, but that is no big deal as my friend can give me a lift on labor day :)

I just want to know, is a locking rear diff very important? Is it worth traveling an extra distance for + the extra ~$300?

I am really looking forward to the truck, if my numbers are right it will not be more then ~$12,500 OTD (and possibly slightly cheaper).

The more I think about it, the more I feel the v8 is worth the extra effort to hunt down + extra ~$800. If it gets the same mpg as the v6 and has a lot more power, why not? :)

Thanks again for all the help, this is exciting times. In the past I loaded up a pallet of mortar in the dodge caravan, the guy with the pallet truck thought I was nuts! It was 35 50lb bags + the weight of the pallet over the rear axel = ~1800lbs! Once I get this truck there will be no more risking my life to get the job done, lol

okay so you want a cheap vehicle to carry stuff around... i'd go with the 4.8 single cab (or extended) long bed

the work truck silverados come with vinal floors roll up windows, ac, and am/fm...

the LS comes with carpet on the floor, nicer seat fabric, i think power windows and locks, am/fm/cd(on some models) i think there is an 1ls and an 2ls package... one is a step up from the work truck package, the other is pretty much the base model most people look at... so fairly equipted...

but as far as engine options... the 4.3 isnt an option in my opinion, it doesnt get any substantail fuel gains over a 4.8 and its weak... the 4.8 is your 17-22 mpg vehicle... you might be able to average 20mpg combined, which is industry leading... and while that is all good you still get 290 hp (ym2007) if i remember correctly...

depending on the equipment you want... the extended cabs have a lot better resale and usually better rebates then the single cabs, so that might change your opinion i do not know... but price is probably the concern seeing as you are a college student...

these single cabs after rebates can probably be found for mid to low teens... the cheapest i've ever sold a silverado was around 13.5 i believe and i think that was a single cab v8 auto work truck... but i forgot what rebates were had at the time... and of course that was including rebates...

you asked how well 3 people sit up front.. its works, but i wouldnt want to go anywhere long distance... if i remember correctly... you dont have to ask the guy next to you to lift his leg so you can plug in your seatbelt as you would my parents toyota...

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just contacted GM marketing and they are hunting down a GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado Classic with the 4.8 V8 regular car long box 4speed manual AC and prefferably a locking rear diff. There are so few of these left I know I am going to have to travel, but that is no big deal as my friend can give me a lift on labor day :)

I just want to know, is a locking rear diff very important? Is it worth traveling an extra distance for + the extra ~$300?

I am really looking forward to the truck, if my numbers are right it will not be more then ~$12,500 OTD (and possibly slightly cheaper).

The more I think about it, the more I feel the v8 is worth the extra effort to hunt down + extra ~$800. If it gets the same mpg as the v6 and has a lot more power, why not? :)

Thanks again for all the help, this is exciting times. In the past I loaded up a pallet of mortar in the dodge caravan, the guy with the pallet truck thought I was nuts! It was 35 50lb bags + the weight of the pallet over the rear axel = ~1800lbs! Once I get this truck there will be no more risking my life to get the job done, lol

the 1500 is capable of 1800 lbs, its rated around that... it doesnt look pretty, but if u threw some overload springs on you'd drive a lot more comfortably...

as far as the rear diff.. might be tought to find it... although its a few hundred bucks... lets put it this way, 2wd w/ locker sometimes is better at off roading then some 4wd limited slips...

I do not believe the locking rear is worth a great effort to locate if you are not going off-road or in mud. Have an open rear in my '94 F-150, got stuck a few times off-road where I shouldn't have been. I learned. Never got stuck in snow, tho. If you are on hard ground or pavement all the time- you won't need the LR.

Another factor to inquire about: when I bought my F-150, it had the optional 3/4-ton springs in the rear- so overloading it was no problem. I don't know if Chevy/GMC offer this, or the dealer can retro-fit it cost-effectively... that is worth more than the LR, IMO. I believe the 1500 HD suspension is only available on the Crew Cab.

It all depends on your performance desires/expectations as far as the motor goes. If the mileage is comparable to the V-8, I would agree, the resale on the V-8 would be better, tho what the gas cost differences vs. the option cost over the time you own it would be, I don't know.

2006 GMC 4.3 V-6 is rated at 195 HP & 260 TRQ.

1994 F-150 4.9 I-6 is rated at 145 HP and 265 TRQ... with an automatic & 3.08s and let me tell you, it's more than adequate for a work truck. I've towed about 5600 lbs on a 4900 lb rating- motor did not struggle (the 4.9 IS a great, strong motor).

In looking at the 2006 GMC Sierra brochure, the 1500 RC has a payload rating (4.3/4.8/5.3 and manual or auto) of 2052 and a max trailering weight of 9100. Look how far up that is over my '94, which never couldn't do what I asked it (furniture, dirt, stone, lumber, firewood, sheetrock, engines, towing, etc, etc, etc.

and something for you to analize... as far as 1500 classics... 07 ...

the dealership that i worked at... was sold out of classics about a year ago... had over 500 in inventory before they stopped production... and... by the time the 900's made it to the dealership we had about 30 left...

Fantastic Choice. I'd go with vynil if your goal is practicality.

Thanks for all the comments and sugestions. I have found my truck (at least online, I will contact the dealer over the weekend plus make the purchase then as GM may offer a labor day special, last year GM gave another $1000 on top of all regular discounts to trucks).

It's a regular cab, 4.8 litre, auto, HANDLING/TRAILERING SUSPENSION, locking rear differential and spare tire lock. I would have preffered AC and a cloth bench, but there are basically no trucks left with v8's in general and the only 4.8 v8's with AC have another $1500 or so of options that I don't need.

With the upgraded suspensions can I haul more then the standard rating on the long bed/regular cab rating of 2052lbs? If not, no problem, i'll just go on a diet :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks for all the comments and sugestions. I have found my truck (at least online, I will contact the dealer over the weekend plus make the purchase then as GM may offer a labor day special, last year GM gave another $1000 on top of all regular discounts to trucks).

It's a regular cab, 4.8 litre, auto, HANDLING/TRAILERING SUSPENSION, locking rear differential and spare tire lock. I would have preffered AC and a cloth bench, but there are basically no trucks left with v8's in general and the only 4.8 v8's with AC have another $1500 or so of options that I don't need.

With the upgraded suspensions can I haul more then the standard rating on the long bed/regular cab rating of 2052lbs? If not, no problem, i'll just go on a diet :AH-HA_wink:

You should be able to check online, if no mention of an increased GVWR is mentioned then the answer would be no.

as a rule of thumb... now you heard this from a friend, not a gm certified employee... ;)

these ratings are designed to show the maximum payload that can be safely transported on this vehicle through all components major and minor... meaning... your engine, brakes, suspension, axels driveshaft, transmission are all designed to support that weight without breaking... but as my dad had always said, usually the vehicles maximum weight is more like double the payload... 2052 does sound right... its been a while since i've looked in a brochure to check... but that number sounds right... the extended cabs have lower numbers...

but in a palet enviornment i've seen extended cabs 1500, take a pallet and a half in the bed and a trailor of weight... sure it didnt look pretty, looked like a low rider, our pallets weight was near 2700 lbs plus more weight... and the extended cab short bed not allowing the weight to be pushed all the way in the middle of the truck like a single cab would allow... once a week this truck would get around 3200 lbs of stuff put in it... and it drove away without any troubles every week...

so to me that was what the maximum weight looked like, 4 kids a BIG mom... and a full truck... that was the most i always saw that 1500 do... although we rarely maxed vehicles out like that...

so get that truck... and dont be afraid to put some weight in it... she can handle it...

as a rule of thumb... now you heard this from a friend, not a gm certified employee... ;)

these ratings are designed to show the maximum payload that can be safely transported on this vehicle through all components major and minor... meaning... your engine, brakes, suspension, axels driveshaft, transmission are all designed to support that weight without breaking... but as my dad had always said, usually the vehicles maximum weight is more like double the payload... 2052 does sound right... its been a while since i've looked in a brochure to check... but that number sounds right... the extended cabs have lower numbers...

but in a palet enviornment i've seen extended cabs 1500, take a pallet and a half in the bed and a trailor of weight... sure it didnt look pretty, looked like a low rider, our pallets weight was near 2700 lbs plus more weight... and the extended cab short bed not allowing the weight to be pushed all the way in the middle of the truck like a single cab would allow... once a week this truck would get around 3200 lbs of stuff put in it... and it drove away without any troubles every week...

so to me that was what the maximum weight looked like, 4 kids a BIG mom... and a full truck... that was the most i always saw that 1500 do... although we rarely maxed vehicles out like that...

so get that truck... and dont be afraid to put some weight in it... she can handle it...

Thanks for the post, I was hoping this was true. I kinda had a feeling this was true after loading a ton of weight into the minivan on multiple occaisions. I think the truck is a no brainer, I still have the Pontiac G6 to throw miles on.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the help, I am coming into this purchase confident I am making the right choice.

So now, which one is it -- the Chevy Silverado, or the GMC Sierra??? I don't think I have to tell you which one I'm hoping it is! :AH-HA_wink:

I wish I saw this thread earlier, but all turned out well IMO, you made the best choice.

I bought a new long box Chevy 3/4 ton regular cab truck with a 4.3V6 and A/C. It was very underpowered IMO. It wasn't tremendously good on gas either.

My new 4.8 V8 van isn't a real screamer, but it feels more powerful despite my tranny acting funny. I hope to have it fixed and see what it drives like. It's already better fuel mileage than the 4.3, and I think my torque converter is bad. That says something!

;)

Just be careful because the cops love to fine for overweight vehicles. The truck can handle much more than the rating without a doubt, but the fines are by the pound!

i dont know where you are from, but i've been driving overloaded pickups in cali(for 4 years every day 6000-8000 lbs on a 1 ton 99 dodge ram w/ steel bed & diesel... bed would rub against tires... sounds horrible), and across the country with my parents horse trailor and camper since i was a boy... a vehicle load of about 24k lbs in a 89 F350... which is rated for much less... even our new 03 V10 isnt rated for that much weight, but they got a new alluminum trailor and ditched the camper...

I wish I saw this thread earlier, but all turned out well IMO, you made the best choice.

I bought a new long box Chevy 3/4 ton regular cab truck with a 4.3V6 and A/C. It was very underpowered IMO. It wasn't tremendously good on gas either.

My new 4.8 V8 van isn't a real screamer, but it feels more powerful despite my tranny acting funny. I hope to have it fixed and see what it drives like. It's already better fuel mileage than the 4.3, and I think my torque converter is bad. That says something!

;)

ummm i know you didnt buy a v6 on a 2500 silverado... the smallest engine option was and is a 6.0 V8 powered at around 320 hp

even 1500's the 4.3 isnt even offered on all models only the single cab and extended cab get that engine choice... but definatly not on a 3/4 ton truck...

ummm i know you didnt buy a v6 on a 2500 silverado... the smallest engine option was and is a 6.0 V8 powered at around 320 hp

even 1500's the 4.3 isnt even offered on all models only the single cab and extended cab get that engine choice... but definatly not on a 3/4 ton truck...

ummmm I bought a WORK TRUCK not a Silverado!

LOL 3/4 ton long box 4.3 V6 automatic with A/C.

I know I did. LOL

It wasn't a 2007, I'm talking 10+ years ago.

I just did a google search, it appears up until 1999 even the Sliverado DID have the 4.3 V6 as an engine option.

Introduced in April 1987 as 1988 models (known as the GMT400 platform), there were eight different versions of the C/K line for 1988: Fleetside Single Cab, Fleetside Extended Cab, Fleetside Crew Cab, and Stepside Single Cab, each in either 2WD © or 4WD (K) drivelines. Three trim levels were available: Cheyenne, Scottsdale, and Silverado. Engines were a 160 hp (119 kW) 4.3 L V6, a 175 hp (130 kW) 5.0 L V8, a 210 hp (157 kW) 5.7 L V8 and a 6.2 L diesel V8

ummmm I bought a WORK TRUCK not a Silverado!

LOL 3/4 ton long box 4.3 V6 automatic with A/C.

I know I did. LOL

It wasn't a 2007, I'm talking 10+ years ago.

okay, well i read it as it was written... "I bought a new long box Chevy 3/4 ton regular cab truck with a 4.3V6 and A/C"

excuse me for thinking it was recently...

i'm not a product knowledge guy from a decade ago... just the 900's and the 800's

i'm not saying the silverado doesnt offer it... its just not offered on the 2500's...

the 4.3 is still sold on work trucks... unfortunatly... it offers the consumer no benifit..

Edited by Newbiewar

okay, well i read it as it was written... "I bought a new long box Chevy 3/4 ton regular cab truck with a 4.3V6 and A/C"

excuse me for thinking it was recently...

i'm not a product knowledge guy from a decade ago... just the 900's and the 800's

i'm not saying the silverado doesnt offer it... its just not offered on the 2500's...

the 4.3 is still sold on work trucks... unfortunatly... it offers the consumer no benifit..

Mine wasn't "bad", but it lacked power for sure, and didn't get very good gas mileage for a V6. Other trucks at our work got better gas mileage and had more power with V8s. My 4.8 V8 work van gets better gas mileage than my 4.3 V6 truck did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, that 3/4 was a mixup, I ment to type 1/2 ton, I never realized it would cause such trouble, lol

Back on topic, I have yet to bite the bullet as the minivan is repaired and again available to me. I kinda already had my mindset on purchasing something new though, so we'll see. The minivan was my moms, my parents said if I find my mom a good deal on a new car (and allow them access to my $3500 GMcard points) they will give me the van for free. I am not sure what decision to make, so i'm waiting.

If there becomes a good deal on either an impala, pontiac g6, or any buick car I may just take my parents offer as I know my mom would love any of those vehicles and the van suits my needs until I graduate from law school. I may get her a Monte Carlo as I can borrow it anytime ;-)

I'll keep you guys posted, and please let me know if you hear of any GM clearance sale. I called the car dealership that sold me the Pontaic a few months back, and unfortanetly the salesman I delt with was in a huge motercycle accident and not available :( He was a great guy and I wanted to steer him some more business. Also they worked out the incentive numbers and somehow the same g6 is $1500 more than before.

• 3 weeks later...