Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

Future Jaguars won't bear marque name

12 posts in this topic

Jaguar Losing its Own Name?
Cars won’t wear badge, Callum says
Posted Image
by Richard Yarrow | Link to Original Article @ TCC | (2007-08-27)

The word "Jaguar" will start to be ditched from the back of production cars within two or three years, the firm's design boss has confirmed.

Speaking in late June as he showed off the XF at a secret media briefing in London, Ian Callum confirmed the famous name is going. It's still on the trunk lip of the XF - to be unveiled at next month's Frankfurt Motor Show - but with it is a flattened version of Jaguar's iconic big cat "leaper."

"Eventually we will take the name off and just leave the leaper," said Callum. "When people see the XF they won't know what it is, so they will look for a name badge. That's why we've left it on, but put the leaper there as well, The name will go probably on production cars within two or three years."

Callum's comments have been under an embargo until today.

As well as the rear of car - due to replace the S-Type early next year - Callum spent time explaining the front end. "We went through 30-odd models and part of that was to look for a new face. We went through one new look with our show cars, such as the RD6, and because of that we were happy to let it go."

Callum said the objective on the XF's grille was to create something that Sir William Lyons could have penned, moving on from the XJ6 in 1968.

"That car was the first one to have the front grille as an air intake and we wanted to evolve that," said the designer.

Callum explained how on some of the early XF sketches he had started off with four headlamp roundels - as on the current S-Type - but felt it wasn't taking the design forward. After various revisions the same feature is still there, but inside a more modern shaped light cluster.

And Callum confirmed the nose of the XF wasn't a one-off. "It's styling that you'll see on Jaguars more and more," he added.

I think the way the Jaguar name is displayed on the rear of the XF looks upscale and elegant. Jaguar should be proud of their name/heritage and display it on their vehicles. I understand the point of doing it because a recognizable symbol (the leaper) is more powerful and easier to translate than an English language brand name, but I don't think it looks as upscale.

As for that grille; it is the one design element that I really don't care for on this car. The rounded off rectangular shape is too much of a contrast with the sleek, athletic stance and styling of this car. Oh well.

Edited by cire

Interesting. So the new face/objective of Jaguar is to completely erase all ties with Jaguar. :huh:

Edited by blackviper8891

I don't recall which current jag it is, but on the chrome bar above the license plate, they stuck the trunk lock right smack dab in the middle of the name, which from a hoods-length away reads: J A G O U A R

Perhaps they're better off not dealing with the complexities of badges after all.... even tho not using any brand name on their cars is utterly indefensible, IMO.

Perhaps they are getting ready to put "TATA" on their cars. :smilewide:

To quote reg

"Those will be some nice looking TATAs"

I believe the plan is to make the cars so recognizably Jaguars, that spelling out the name is unnecessary. Where will you find "Mercedes-Benz" on a 300 E? The three-pointed star says it all. The leaper is more obviously a "Jaguar" than Oldsmobile's stylized Rocket or even the Mercedes logo. There probably isn't a more easily understood non-verbal logo in the industry. You don't even have to know anything about cars to know that the jaguar-head or "leaper" means Jaguar. However, the XF has "Jaguar" spelled out in more places than the rear decklid, more than most previous Jags. You just have to get up-close and personal to see it.

Stupid idea.

I think this car is hot....very attractive....and I absolutely love the interior.

That being said, nothing....I say NOTHING about this car says "Jaguar" to me. It looks more like a cross between Lexus/BMW/Lincoln (show car.)

"Let's abandon all of our historical and distinctive design appeal.....take the classic Jaguar look away from the interior.....and while we are at it, leave all the Jaguar badges off so NO ONE will know what this car is."

Yeah, Oldsmobile tried this and it back fired on them.

jag's leaper is far more recognizable than the last olds logo

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room