Black & White Photography

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1348.jpg

Power shovels, anybody?

I don't know about any of you guys, but I have been in awe of these massive earth movers and also of the massive walking draglines that used to be fixtures in coal mines across the country since the second I became aware of them as a child. Sadly, they're all but gone now. Big Brutus out in Kansas is the only one left. The biggest of the big earth movers like Big Muskie, the Silver Spade, and the GEM of Egypt exist only in photographs and memories. :nono:

And here's a picture of the Silver Spade's shovel to further emphasize the magnitude of these machines:

spade206.jpg

Edited by XP715

1348.jpg

Power shovels, anybody?

I don't know about any of you guys, but I have been in awe of these massive earth movers and also of the massive walking draglines that used to be fixtures in coal mines across the country since the second I became aware of them as a child. Sadly, they're all but gone now. Big Brutus out in Kansas is the only one left. The biggest of the big earth movers like Big Muskie, the Silver Spade, and the GEM of Egypt exist only in photographs and memories. :nono:

And here's a picture of the Silver Spade's shovel to further emphasize the magnitude of these machines:

spade206.jpg

Jessica and I actually saw Big Brutus a couple summers ago...it is truly massive.

Harley, your 12:40 picture reminds me of Canada. Cool, and your 12:43 of the Olds 98 shows how small cars were before everything exploded later in the decade of the 50's.

swwqu6.jpg

Harley, your 12:40 picture reminds me of Canada.

Ocn, we must both be on the same wavelength... It made me think about Canada as well. Made me think of the old family farm in Lamont County actually. Before my family moved to NYC in the early 60s they lived in Edmonton and sometimes came back to the farm for a visit. The old Ford Coupe is just like one my Grandfather had... His had the 2-Spd Automatic, and he had a buddy who had an identical car with the 3-Spd Manual, when they drove in to work in the mornings, they would race each other down Whyte Avenue to see which transmission was better.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

OMG Camino, that magazine article is such a family heirloom. I am quite certain you treasure that. Thank you sir, for sharing it here at C&G. Man, I haven't heard the word "magneto" in relation to a car in many moons. You mentioned it was your dad's high school ride, so I guess that's him in the photo? Such a munchkin, he looks quite young and small to be taking on such a project. You are proud of him. That's so cool.

Cool pics! The lil' tyke you, by chance, Camino? Still got that flattie sitting around ?

The lil' tyke is my dad at about age 17 or 18, and that flathead is long gone. But my Uncle made a lamp out of its distributor years later and gave it to my dad for Christmas.

OMG Camino, that magazine article is such a family heirloom. I am quite certain you treasure that. Thank you sir, for sharing it here at C&G. Man, I haven't heard the word "magneto" in relation to a car in many moons. You mentioned it was your dad's high school ride, so I guess that's him in the photo? Such a munchkin, he looks quite young and small to be taking on such a project. You are proud of him. That's so cool.

Thanks Ocn.

Yeah, that's him. And yeah, to the rest as well.

No trying to make you out as that old, C: he just looked too young to even have a car in the pic and there was no date on the article.

Haha, no big deal my friend. My dad wasn't a big guy. The article was either '56 or '57 - I'd have to check to be sure. I didn't make my big entrance until '63, the Corvette split window and I arrived together. :AH-HA_wink:

Camino: what magazine is that out of?

Car Speed and Style

I posted the cover of the issue before the article.

I think it is the November '57 issue (could be Nov. '56).

It is about the size of a small comic book- the car rags of the day were much smaller, it seems.

Wow... Thanks for sharing Camino. That is some awesome personal family history right there! :)

1936buickwebcarnpdarmoreu4.jpg

The Nashville Police Department's armored emergency chase car, a 1935 Buick Model 90 seven-passenger sedan with bulletproof glass able to stop .45 caliber rounds in all windows, steel plates on all sides, fender guards to protect the tires, armored window port to fire from and heavy armor over the grill to protect the radiator.
more here ------> http://www.tennesseelawman.com/3-cars

webcarmpdpackardmj7.jpg

The Memphis Police Department's 1921 Packard purchased to be used as a chase car following the tragic events of the attempted robbery which left three dead. The Emergency Car was called "the riot car" by officers on the force, but was given the name "the black hawk" and other appellations by the lawless element in the city who feared the justice it brought.

web-car-JPD-Motorcycle%20Patrol-1927.jpg

web-car-KPD-1923CCab.jpg

Edited by Sixty8panther

A local legend. Note sheet of plywood to aid entry to driveway:

fonzdriveway20shot.jpg

Please do tell:

[i>>"Please do tell: "<<[/i]

Should've said 'was': the man is gone and the car has gone to Sweden, where it bears almost no resemblance to what it was, which was awe-striking in a very different & individualistic way. To those who met him/saw the car, tho, he is well remembered. The Merc was a daily driver- he had no other car. You could not see under the rear quarters with your head on the ground and it did not have hydraulics or air bags.

Awesome stuff.

If that Reliance "Cab Over Truck" was made today it would not be chain drive.

The Japanese at least would install a RUBBER belt in its place. <_<

571022wedselgs4.gif

I love the Edsel, "chrome pu$$y" and all! :D

Not one of the coolest cars of the late '50s but still cooler than any modern Ford.

1960 is my favorite year.

desoto3rp1.gif

DeSoto pedal car anyone?

1903_DeDion_Bouton_8HP_Tonneau.jpg

1903car2rc4.jpg

You guys are killing me with with those wreck photos... crashed B59s and pre-war cars... :(

Speaking of wrecked cars, here's an '80 Eldorado that got squished by

a Chicago Transit Authority train in 1979. Ouch.

cta2130carstw8.jpg