Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

USA TODAY 08 Accord review

regfootball

The optional V-6 engine has a cylinder-cutoff feature designed to run on three cylinders, four, or all six. Previously, it was a choice between three and six.

There hasn't been a three-mode cylinder deactivation system since the 1981 Cadillac V-8-6-4, which proved unreliable and was discontinued after a year.

Honda says there's no chance of that.

What a stupid statement, and one that ignores the flawless existence of a massive number of two-mode cylinder deactivation systems in a multitude of vehicles.

On the other hand, Honda is still kind of backward about certain features. No backup camera at any price, nor automatic on-off headlights. To get a simple trip computer to track your fuel economy or tell you how many miles you have to find a fuel station before you run dry, well, you have to get the pricey navigation system in the pricey EX-L (the EX model with leather upholstery).

Seriously. That's horrendously lame for a car that can leave the lot with GPS, heated seats, leather, moonroof, and a $32,000 pricetag.

What a stupid statement, and one that ignores the flawless existence of a massive number of two-mode cylinder deactivation systems in a multitude of vehicles.

Seriously. That's horrendously lame for a car that can leave the lot with GPS, heated seats, leather, moonroof, and a $32,000 pricetag.

A backup camera seems like it would be superflous (I can understand the utility of one in a massive SUV or van, but a midsize sedan??? But common features like automatic lights and a trip computer I would think would be there...

A backup camera seems like it would be superflous (I can understand the utility of one in a massive SUV or van, but a midsize sedan??? But common features like automatic lights and a trip computer I would think would be there...

I could care LESS about auto headlights.

A trip computer, however, is a must-have for me.....

Trip computers are cool. I really like the set-up on my brother's GTI, you can scroll through the usual inst. mpg, avg. mpg, trip odometer, trip time, etc. and it will show you both lifetime and current data!

I also LOVE automatic headlights. How can you make an argument against them? On numerous occasions I've seen people driving around at night with their headlights OFF, just because they have back-lit gauges and they totally forget to turn them on.

Trip computers are cool. I really like the set-up on my brother's GTI, you can scroll through the usual inst. mpg, avg. mpg, trip odometer, trip time, etc. and it will show you both lifetime and current data!

I also LOVE automatic headlights. How can you make an argument against them? On numerous occasions I've seen people driving around at night with their headlights OFF, just because they have back-lit gauges and they totally forget to turn them on.

I've seen people w/ DRLs driving around w/ the lights off at night.

That got me one time..I had an '04 Impala rental car and got in it early in the morning (5am) and drove off, didn't realize for a while that the lights weren't fully on (the DRLs operated the low beams but not the taillights). My Jeep has the automatic lights, so I'm used to them coming on automatically.

I wouldn't mind a four-cylinder (190 hp) manual EX for everyday commuting. Accords have traditionally treated its drivers well, with great ergonomics (seats, driving position, visibility, switchgear, gauges) and sporting responses (firm suspension, communicative steering, positive brake feel, and linear throttle).

Our Cobalt had both. It still amazes me that people buy cars without it. Does that mean it also does not have the battery protection like GM cars?

Edited by Dsuupr

The roomy interior, making the car full-size, impresses me, making me wonder how competitive the Malibu will be against this.

The '08 Malibu's rear seat is one of its shortcomings, but most magazines (except CR) don't try them out anyway, so it should be ok.

Battery run-down protection puts all the interior lights on a timer so that when the ignition is switched off, after 20 minutes interior lights (reading lights and such) will go off. Great feature, especially in minivans/SUVs for families. Automatic headlights (which the '04 Impala had, so I am not sure what Moltar is getting at) are a no-brainer: a cheap feature to add to a vehicle and very important for safety. I almost slammed into an Infiniti in my underground garage the other day - not only was I amazed that someone would pay $50k for a car like that, I was more amazed that its lights didn't work automatically.

As I have tirelessly ranted about here before, GM provides a lot of features (like automatic headlights, battery run-down protection, delayed locks, starter lock out, automatic volume on radios, etc, etc. that are great when someone lives with the vehicle. The trouble is convincing the hacks at the car magazines, CR, etc. that these items are of more every day importance to the average driver than whether someone's weenie will fit between the gaps in the door panels.

Battery run-down protection puts all the interior lights on a timer so that when the ignition is switched off, after 20 minutes interior lights (reading lights and such) will go off. Great feature, especially in minivans/SUVs for families. Automatic headlights (which the '04 Impala had, so I am not sure what Moltar is getting at) are a no-brainer: a cheap feature to add to a vehicle and very important for safety. I almost slammed into an Infiniti in my underground garage the other day - not only was I amazed that someone would pay $50k for a car like that, I was more amazed that its lights didn't work automatically.

As I have tirelessly ranted about here before, GM provides a lot of features (like automatic headlights, battery run-down protection, delayed locks, starter lock out, automatic volume on radios, etc, etc. that are great when someone lives with the vehicle. The trouble is convincing the hacks at the car magazines, CR, etc. that these items are of more every day importance to the average driver than whether someone's weenie will fit between the gaps in the door panels.

Ah..so that's what battery protection is... my Jeep has that, the interior and exterior lights will go off after a few minutes if left on.

With the Impala, wouldn't the automatic lights have to be set in the automatic position instead of off to work? I remember specifically turning the lights on..and remember, Avis rentals tend to be not loaded, so maybe it didn't have the auto lights.

With the Infiniti, maybe the lights were set to off..at least w/ my Jeep, if the lights are turned to off, they don't automatically come on..they have to be in the automatic position.

Ah..so that's what battery protection is... my Jeep has that, the interior and exterior lights will go off after a few minutes if left on.

With the Impala, wouldn't the automatic lights have to be set in the automatic position instead of off to work? I remember specifically turning the lights on..and remember, Avis rentals tend to be not loaded, so maybe it didn't have the auto lights.

With the Infiniti, maybe the lights were set to off..at least w/ my Jeep, if the lights are turned to off, they don't automatically come on..they have to be in the automatic position.

The last generation Impala, Malibu and others simply had automatic lights only. I have to admit that at times that was a pain (try leaving a Drive-in :lol: ) and the only way to turn the lights 'off' was to put the parking brake on and restart the engine! The current Malibu/Cobalt/Impala, etc. have the automatic position on the steering wheel stalk, so you can actually over-ride the lights if desired.

Many Japanese vehicles (and Chryslers, for that matter) never had automatic lights, even in 2007. The higher models may have it, or as part of a package, but it was not always standard. My '91 Caprice had it, for Gawd's Sake!

my diamantes had auto headlights but i don't recall many other asian cars having them.

all my fords have them. usually its an extra cost option in a package, point is i still get them. they are usually standard on GM. why you would get a car without is bizarre. one of the best features on a car and why i lean to Gm or ford most of the time.

does accord have remote start for cold winters? E85? direct injection?

can onstar unlock your accord's doors? where is the sync system like ford sync with voice activated music selection?

the full size car bit is interesting. while it crosses the 100 cf barrier, i'm sure when i compare the interior of this thing to my 500, it will lack room and still feel like a claustrophobic midsize car. i suspect somewhere they are cheating to make that 100 ft. barrier. i don't envision it feeling that more spacious than the cramped 07 accord.

where is the 5/100 powertrain warranty?

Edited by regfootball

the full size car bit is interesting. while it crosses the 100 cf barrier, i'm sure when i compare the interior of this thing to my 500, it will lack room and still feel like a claustrophobic midsize car. i suspect somewhere they are cheating to make that 100 ft. barrier. i don't envision it feeling that more spacious than the cramped 07 accord.

Why don't you compare them? Would you ever step foot on a Honda dealership?

How do you suspect they cheated? The car's dimensions have grown in every way.

See for yourself.

+1

Yes but too many times (not all times) those features they sink money into are dubious at best (one person's opinion....MINE....)

Auto headlights? I'm not against them.....but I just don't find trouble in turning the lights on myself.

Battery run-down? Good....but most cars have that now.

Delayed locks? AAARRRRGGGHHH. Hate them. Always reprogram them to "off." I hate hitting the lock button....and nothing happens....then I stand there to wait to hear the "click" to reconfirm to myself that the car IS locked. Plus, why really have them when most people use the remote these days to lock the car?

Automatic Volume? Hate that too. Let ME adjust the volume to levels that I desire. I hate jamming to a great song at freeway speeds and then everytime you slow down cause of traffic or whatnot, the volume drops. I know you can adjust the levels that it changes....but this is a useless feature to me....and I've seen alot of cars with it ironically.

Delayed locks? AAARRRRGGGHHH. Hate them. Always reprogram them to "off." I hate hitting the lock button....and nothing happens....then I stand there to wait to hear the "click" to reconfirm to myself that the car IS locked. Plus, why really have them when most people use the remote these days to lock the car?

On our cars at least, it chimes once only when locking activating using the driver's door. Hit it twice in succession, and it'll power lock. The purpose of that is as a reminder, "You sure you want to lock the door? Got your keys?" I admit it saved me once or twice when my fob was dead and needed a new battery. Not sure how it is on certain other cars.

Of course, to me things like bi-xenons and GPS are completely useless. I'd rather spend the navigation money on chrome wheels and a moonroof, but to each their own. That's why its good that automakers should include the basics along with the extras.

'bi-xenons'. FU CK me. No one cares, especially on a mainstream car, and i would prefer they be be straight rather than bi anyways.

Nav? you gotta be a dumbass to pay more than like 400 bucks for NAV. Fine by me if you wanna pump money into someone's pockets for a toy, but NAV's in stores now are like 300 bucks. You are getting no value out of factory NAV, if its offered. If you gotta have it, make sure you bring your bottle of lube. Why not save the finance guy's time and just tell them up front you are going to get 'paint sealant' and scotchguard too, while you are at it.

Here IS what rocks. Autolamp. Remote Start (especially the new fob from GM where you can manage the vehicle's internal climate remotely). Heated Seats. I would imagine keyless / pushbutton start would rock. Memory seats. Autoclimate temp is nice and some folks its a must. Rainsense wipers are starting to catch on. I would like to see remote fob control of sunroof and convertible tops, or tops and windows that raise themselves if rain arrives. I still have found no one who can point me to a more useful in car system than Ford sync in mainstream cars for electronic devices and OnStar has real safety and security features no one else can touch in any segment for driver safety.

How long is it gonna be before xenons or HID is outlawed anyways? On lux cars, I see the need. But not on cheap cars like this.

Edited by regfootball

Yes but too many times (not all times) those features they sink money into are dubious at best (one person's opinion....MINE....)

Auto headlights? I'm not against them.....but I just don't find trouble in turning the lights on myself.

Battery run-down? Good....but most cars have that now.

Automatic Volume? Hate that too. Let ME adjust the volume to levels that I desire. I hate jamming to a great song at freeway speeds and then everytime you slow down cause of traffic or whatnot, the volume drops. I know you can adjust the levels that it changes....but this is a useless feature to me....and I've seen alot of cars with it ironically.

I can't wait to see you criticize the Pearly Gates...if you get there. How the hell can anyone bitch about delayed locks? Program the damned horn to toot once when the doors do lock. Wow. Just wow. I bet you were like dad, always complained that nobody needed power windows or a mirror on the passenger side.

Auto volume rocks. What the hell setting did you have it on? It's not like the difference if 50 db or anything....Sheesh. Yeah, but Nav and Xenon lights are SOOOOO important.

Nav? you gotta be a dumbass to pay more than like 400 bucks for NAV. Fine by me if you wanna pump money into someone's pockets for a toy, but NAV's in stores now are like 300 bucks. You are getting no value out of factory NAV, if its offered. If you gotta have it, make sure you bring your bottle of lube. Why not save the finance guy's time and just tell them up front you are going to get 'paint sealant' and scotchguard too, while you are at it.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: (classic)

i got like 3 car mags today. they had a big time writeup in C/D on the accord. or MT? anyways, there is one angle the car looks alright from, kind of a kitty corner top side view where you see some interesting shaping from the cowl rear. kind of an x-type + bmw look that's not bad. but then look at the side profile and the car is not good. the hood is too low where it meets the windshield. the windshield rake is too upright. too much overhang.

the front and rear of the car still look bad. bland, bad.

interior is more swoopy and tried to copy the Germans but comes off as less mainstream and less upscale than the current one. too boy racerish almost. Not as expensive looking.

no 6 speed auto? no manual shift mode?

even with all that, it looks nicer than a camry but that's not saying much.

the article i read said accord buyers average 50 years old. holy crap....fossils! no wonder honda is trying to rice up the car in styling and bring in younger buyers. yet, at the same time it is making the car have more room, more of a floater.

still will sell i guess. as far as sttyling, honda just thought of imitating a BMW look and that would get the BMW wannabees who do not have money for the real thing.

Honda has done this for years, the copy styling bit. Look at the original SHadow and stuff. Try to copy a hog.

Edited by regfootball

I'm a little late to this party, as the conversation has moved on a bit, but I must agree.

Autoheadlamps are hardly a must in any segment ever. If a driver can't handle turning the lamps on him/herself and turn them off again albeit with a chime, they probably ought not to be driving. A friend of mine says that no car should be automatic (!) I'll make an exception to that, but I feel also that if you can't drive stick, you really can't drive.

And, the thing that just pisses me off about GM's automatic headlamp system is that you have no control over it at all, other than to turn lamps on during the day. Sure, they may have an "OFF" postition, but it bounces straight away from it (likr the Lucerne). What's the point of even installing a switch then??!!

I like the way a Chrysler 300M's is; OFF, AUTO, P, and O. And it lets me choose.

I will re-up my vote for standard auto headlamps on all vehicles as the foolish douche driving the RAV4 on an unlit access road around Tampa International tonight didn't have any headlamps on at all. I flashed my high-beams at him, he flashed his back in a 'f@#k you' fashion. I'll probably see that thing in a ditch tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Automatic lamps are must-haves if your interior gauges are constantly backlit like Toyota's are.

I will re-up my vote for standard auto headlamps on all vehicles as the foolish douche driving the RAV4 on an unlit access road around Tampa International tonight didn't have any headlamps on at all. I flashed my high-beams at him, he flashed his back in a 'f@#k you' fashion. I'll probably see that thing in a ditch tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Automatic lamps are must-haves if your interior gauges are constantly backlit like Toyota's are.

Okay, okay, I'll grant concession for typical Toyota drivers. But I want to do things my way, hehe.

:AH-HA_wink:

Hmm...Are you sure he wasn't on his way to Michigan?

I just had a RAV4 driver coming southbound as I was heading north....he just about couldn'r stay in his own lane! :angry:

At least his music was good (to him)-I could hear the people in the car singing with the"Thong Song".. :rolleyes:

But I also agree-Autolamps are a must.

Though I like the overide option too...

But I also agree-Autolamps are a must.

Though I like the overide option too...

Yeah! That way everyone wins!

My 97 Grand Am that had crank windows had auto headlights. How can some luxury cars not have it 10 years later?

How could a car be combined with something as advanced as automatic headlamps have crankers? :lol:

How the hell can you people go against automatic-daytime lights. They are mandated up here in Canada, and like Flybrain said, they prevent morons from totally driving in the dark.

Acknowledged.

I'm just someone that doesn't feel as though I should be taking the responsibility of other people. It's how silly laws get made up.

I don't mind auto lamps, just give me manual override.

Daytime lamps? Bah. If one can't see a freaking hulk of metal, plastic, electronics, leather, cloth, and flammables without lamps on in broad daylight, why then, I just don't know...

Maybe I dislike fully automated lamps with no control because I HATE morons? :scratchchin:

This thread has seriously become hijacked, but I want to make one point clear: I doubt any of you guys live in a condo or apartment, or work in a highrise. Automatic lights are a must. I just bought an Optra 5 (okay, go ahead and laugh, but at 0% financing for 72 months, free sunroof, employee pricing and 700 visa points, I am paying $35 a month LESS than leasing a base Civic and my dog can shed all he wants without my having to listen to the manager(s) bitch and moan :rolleyes: ) and this car does NOT have automatic headlights. It is a huge nuisance, both in the building where I live (try remembering to turn on the lights for safety, snap on the seatbelt, reach for sunglasses and crank the wheel hard to port all at once!) and in the building where my gym is, which is populated by many blue rinsers in expensive cars and they cannot drive.

When driving around a 3 level underground garage, where idiots park behind every pilar, it would be comforting to know that EVERYONE'S headlights were on. Sadly, that is not the case.

In the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), pop. 5 million, more than HALF the populace live in condos or apartment buildings.

Choice is great, but the average person has the brain power of an eggplant (no offense to eggplants out there). I don't want to hit some moron because he/she is too f'ing lazy to turn on their headlights when they are underground.

This thread has seriously become hijacked, but I want to make one point clear: I doubt any of you guys live in a condo or apartment, or work in a highrise. Automatic lights are a must. I just bought an Optra 5 (okay, go ahead and laugh, but at 0% financing for 72 months, free sunroof, employee pricing and 700 visa points, I am paying $35 a month LESS than leasing a base Civic and my dog can shed all he wants without my having to listen to the manager(s) bitch and moan :rolleyes: ) and this car does NOT have automatic headlights. It is a huge nuisance, both in the building where I live (try remembering to turn on the lights for safety, snap on the seatbelt, reach for sunglasses and crank the wheel hard to port all at once!) and in the building where my gym is, which is populated by many blue rinsers in expensive cars and they cannot drive.

When driving around a 3 level underground garage, where idiots park behind every pilar, it would be comforting to know that EVERYONE'S headlights were on. Sadly, that is not the case.

In the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), pop. 5 million, more than HALF the populace live in condos or apartment buildings.

Choice is great, but the average person has the brain power of an eggplant (no offense to eggplants out there). I don't want to hit some moron because he/she is too f'ing lazy to turn on their headlights when they are underground.

Let's go back to automatic seatbelts then.....

For me....I could care less about the ingorance of the other drivers....I'm just commenting on what I find useful in a vehicle or not.

Regarding some of the other features people mentioned on here....I LOVE HID lamps....first of all, there is no arguing that they provide much greater and crisper lighting of the streets at night....plus, for me, it's a stylistic feature that I like on a car. Finally, many manufacturers are incorporating an "adaptive" function with the HIDs that allow the lights to swivel in turns.

As far as navigations systems, I can take them or leave them. However, a few weeks driving an Audi A4 really made me appreciate the nav system from not only a mapping and directions standpoint, but from an informational standpoint (gas station locations, etc.) Plus, I figure if I'm going to have a nav system, I like having one that is designed for the car and is integrated into the dash.....I would never want to go buy an aftermarket system and "plug" it into my car.....that being said, it's not a deal-breaker for me to get a nav system.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably order it in any new car I got.....versus NOT getting it....but if I was just picking a car off a lot, and the one I liked didn't happen to have nav, I wouldn't let the lack of nav keep me from driving home in that car that I wanted.

Now.....features I don't like or I think are wasted? These new push-button start systems that still force you to insert a key fob into the dash.....then push a button. Seems like a waste of time and money in a feature. If it's like the system I had on the Corvette, where you just keep the key fob in your pocket, then I think that's handy on the other hand.....