GM Announces 2008 Malibu Pricing!

Flybrian

GM Announces 2008 Malibu Pricing
All-New 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Delivers A Lot Of Value Starting At $19,995
Posted Image

CHICAGO – Chevrolet today announced pricing for its all-new 2008 Malibu midsize sedan lineup, with MSRPs starting at $19,995 for the base LS and for the first time, a hybrid for $22,790. The Malibu continues to drive home Chevy’s commitment to dependable, fun-to-drive cars packed with value.

“When we debuted Malibu at the North American International Auto show in January, we promised that its $40,000 looks would cost half as much,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “Well, we’ve kept our word. Customers will see everything we’ve packed into a sedan starting under $20 grand and think there’s a typo on the sticker.”

Malibu is built to be the best midsize car in the market, having been benchmarked against the top names in the class and loaded with standard features that many competitors don’t offer at any price. The design team focused on the attributes that mattered most to midsize car buyers such as families and commuters.

All Malibus are equipped with a long list of standard features, including six air bags (dual-stage frontal, seat-mounted side-impact thorax and head-curtain side air bags); four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with all-speed traction control; OnStar Gen 7 safety and security system with Turn-by-Turn Navigation; air conditioning; and XM Satellite Radio.

Along with the LS and Hybrid, the Malibu lineup includes the 1LT and 2LT trim levels and the top-of-the-line LTZ. MSRP for the 1LT is $20,955; 2LT, $22,635 and the LTZ, $26,995. All include the $650 destination charge.

Malibu, arriving in dealerships in November, combines fuel efficiency, performance and a long list of standard amenities wrapped in a design that carries the new face of Chevrolet. It features a strong body structure, precise build quality and refined driving dynamics. It is more than three inches longer than its predecessor, with a six-inch-longer (112.3 in / 2,852 mm) wheelbase.

GM’s StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on LT, LTZ and Hybrid models. A number of equipment packages also are available and include features such as power-adjustable pedals, premium seating, uplevel interiors; power equipment groups and a deluxe audio system.

Malibu performance comes from two powerful yet fuel-efficient dual-overhead cam four- and six-cylinder engines, including a standard 169-horsepower (126 kW) 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine that delivers 30 mpg highway, 22 city (’08 EPA); and an available 252-horsepower (188 kW) 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 26 mpg highway and 17 city.

The Malibu Hybrid, featuring the affordable GM Hybrid System, also goes on sale in November. Powered by a hybrid version of the 2.4L Ecotec, it is rated at 32 mpg highway and 24 city.

Four-cylinder-equipped models come with a four-speed transmission with overdrive. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with the 3.6L V-6 and will be available next spring on the four-cylinder-equipped LTZ – the first four-cylinder engine/six-speed transmission combination in the segment.

Other highlights of the redesigned 2008 Chevy Malibu include:
  • All-new refined and contemporary exterior with a new grille design and heritage-inspired twin round taillamps
  • Upscale interior design with a choice of cloth, suede and leather inside; available two-tone cockpit in a number of color combinations; gauges with Chevrolet blue LED backlighting
  • Ambient lighting in areas such as the overhead console and door-pull pockets for a more inviting cabin
  • Standard four-wheel independent suspension for a more controlled and confident driving experience
  • One of the segment’s quietest, most refined driving experiences, thanks to noise-reducing materials such as a liquid spray-on sound deadener, laminated steel, laminated “quiet glass” and composite wheel liners
  • Standard theft-deterrent system for vehicle and contents
  • Remote vehicle starting (standard on 2LT and LTZ; available on 1LT) and standard universal home remote on 2LT and LTZ
  • TAPshift manual shift control, available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
  • Sixteen-inch standard wheels on LS and an available family of large wheels, including 18-inch ultra-bright aluminum polished wheels available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
  • Available rear power center includes 110-volt AC adapter with three-prong outlet on 1LT, 2LT and LTZ (included and available only with Rear Power Package)
  • Available sunroof on LT and LTZ models
  • Premium eight-speaker, 210-watt sound system standard on LTZ and available on 2LT.
  • Standard tire-pressure monitoring system
“We strive to offer the best value in every segment where we compete, and midsize cars are not different,” Peper said. “For example, the Chevy Impala has been one of the biggest success stories in this industry during the past two years, gaining more than two points of market share. Now, combined with Malibu, this gives us a solid one-two punch in midsize cars and puts Chevy back into the car game in a big way.”

The Malibu is built at the GM Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas City, Kan. The dependability of the 2008 Malibu is backed by GM’s five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the best protection package in the industry, providing customers with added peace of mind and value during their ownership experience.

Pricing Comparison/size]
Malibu LT ($19,995 vs. $17,865)
6-speakers vs. 4 speakers
MP3 playback, aux jack
OnStar w/Turn-By-Turn
Seatback map pockets
Driver seat manual lumbar control
Color-keyed rocker moldings
16" alloy wheels vs. 15" steel w/covers
4-wheel anti-lock discs
164hp/156lb-ft vs. 144hp/155lb-ft
Standard traction control

Malibu 1LT ($20,955 vs. $19,085)
MP3 playback, aux jack
OnStar w/Turn-By-Turn
17" wheels vs. 16" wheels
164hp/156lb-ft vs. 144hp/155lb-ft
Chrome exhaust tip
Stabilitrak

Malibu 2LT ($22,635 vs $20,795)
Opt. 8-speakers vs. 6-speakers
MP3 playback, aux jack
OnStar w/Turn-By-Turn
Opt. Auto Up windows
17" wheels vs. 16" wheels
Opt. 252hp/251lb-ft 3.6l V6 w/6spd auto
Opt. TAPshift
Chrome exhaust tip

Malibu LTZ ($26,995 vs. $24,325)
8-speaker Premium Sound System
Premium floormats
Trunk mat
Accent-lit gauge cluster
8-way power driver's seat
6-way power passenger seat
Auto up/down windows vs. auto down windows
Chrome door handles
LED Taillamps
18" aluminum wheels vs. 17" aluminum wheels
252hp/251lb-ft 3.6l V6 w/6spd auto vs. 217hp/217lb-ft 3.6l V6 w/4spd auto
Stabilitrak
TAPshift
Dual chrome exhaust tips

Not priced aggressively enough. The 2008 Camry CE automatic with destination charge is $20,280. The 'bu at $285 less is not compelling enough to get conquest sales. GM will end up discounting it big by the end of the model year if they want to make a high-volume impact. On the other hand, maybe they're keeping expectations low internally? GM is acting like Chevy is still the mid-sized sales leader.

Good news? Much nicer looking than the Camry and it comes with alloy wheels.

Not priced aggressively enough. The 2008 Camry CE automatic with destination charge is $20,280. The 'bu at $285 less is not compelling enough to get conquest sales. GM will end up discounting it big by the end of the model year if they want to make a high-volume impact. On the other hand, maybe they're keeping expectations low internally? GM is acting like Chevy is still the mid-sized sales leader.

um, no. you're wrong, the pricing is fine. its in line with all the competition. the malibu will outdrive the camry. the new accord will not sell at the prices chevy wants, it will be higher, much higher.

it gives them some room to discount the bu at the dealer. plus, how many camrys you see at the base price? UM, not many. sure is great for a price leader ad maybe.

Edited by regfootball

Hmmm...112.3 in wheelbase..isn't that longer than some of the W-bodies were? And I think the first of the downsized FWD full-sizers (1985 C-bodies, 1986 H-bodies) were in that range, weren't they? Interesting...

I agree a tiny bit with this...

It's going to cause some sticker stock to those who are used to picking up their Bu' from 14-17 grand....

It would be smart to offer rebates and some good lease rates to just get these people into the new Bu'....

It should offer some really good word of mouth out there.....then, slowly up on the deals....by then-it should do fine...

I'm looking forward to driving the new Bu'...esp. with the 4/6-sp combo... :yes:

The current Malibu has the looks and feel of a rental car queen and the price tag to match.

I don't think the pricing of the 2008 Malibu is out of line for what the car is offering.

As far as the competition, I think this car blows the doors off most of the rest of the midsize segment. Other than the odd shaped taillights (4 simple round units would have worked just fine), this car's design has a smooth, tailored, upscale look that really makes it stand out in the crowd. The oddly designed 2008 Honda Accord already looks dated. The Camry's design is not quite as odd as Honda's, but I just don't find it as appealing as the 2008 Malibu's beautiful design. I think Chevrolet and the General has a winner on their hands. I can't wait to see an actual production version.

'08 Accord pricing hasn't been announced yet, so here is how it compares with the '08 Camry on paper.

The 1LT 4-cylinder will undoubtedly be the volume seller, as the 4-cylinder LX and LE trims are for Accord and Camry.

2008 Malibu 1LT vs. 2008 Camry LE - both with no options

Power: 169 hp / 158 hp

Torque: 156 lb-ft / 161 lb-ft

Gears: 4 / 5

City MPG: 22 / 30

Hwy MPG: 21/31

Wheels: 17" steel / 16" steel

Steering wheel audio controls: Yes / Yes

Keyless entry: Yes / Yes

6-speaker CD: Yes / Yes

Seats: Power bottom / Power bottom & back

Nav: OnStar TBT / No

Stability control: Yes / No

Trip computer: Yes / No

XM: Yes / No

B2B Warranty: 3/36 / 3/36

Powertrain: 5/100 / 5/60

MSRP: $20,955 / $21,735

So pricing is competitive, though it doesn't stand out like cheapos like Hyundai or Chrysler.

Assuming GM wants to get closer to what the Camry does in sales, they should have priced it $1,000 below the Camry as a penetrative strategy. See, Chevrolet has to prove itself all over again to all those Baby Boomer and Gen X customers it has lost - particularly on the coasts. We here all think that the product is better. But better product alone is not going to get Camry and Accord buyers to sign on the line that is dotted. Remember how Lexus priced its first new products against Mercedes-Benz?

Once it's established (word-of-mouth, press) that the Malibu is better, then Chevy can raise their prices to Camry levels with their EpII version.

Again, maybe GM doesn't want the new Malibu to be "too" successful thereby harming Impala demand. Hence the high pricing.

um, no. you're wrong, the pricing is fine. its in line with all the competition. the malibu will outdrive the camry. the new accord will not sell at the prices chevy wants, it will be higher, much higher.

it gives them some room to discount the bu at the dealer. plus, how many camrys you see at the base price? UM, not many. sure is great for a price leader ad maybe.

Hmmm... Pricing looks correct IMO. The Malibu should be priced comparable to the competition...

On a side note... not much cheaper than a Buick LaCrosse... and as pricey as an Aura. So expect significant price increases for the EPS II Aura and LaCrosse (especially the LaCrosse)... less than 2 years from introduction.

Assuming GM wants to get closer to what the Camry does in sales, they should have priced it $1,000 below the Camry as a penetrative strategy. See, Chevrolet has to prove itself all over again to all those Baby Boomer and Gen X customers it has lost - particularly on the coasts. We here all think that the product is better. But better product alone is not going to get Camry and Accord buyers to sign on the line that is dotted. Remember how Lexus priced its first new products against Mercedes-Benz?

Once it's established (word-of-mouth, press) that the Malibu is better, then Chevy can raise their prices to Camry levels with their EpII version.

Again, maybe GM doesn't want the new Malibu to be "too" successful thereby harming Impala demand. Hence the high pricing.

:rolleyes:

Protecting Impala isn't on the agenda, that car is on its way out.

It'll still be with us a couple of more years. GM has to be careful not to create too much demand from Kansas City and too little from Oshawa especially if they don't have the spare capacity at KC. Keeping the line moving reasonably well in Oshawa (esp with GP being axed and Lax a lame duck) is the only reason I can see why GM would price the Malibu at near Camry levels.

:rolleyes:

Protecting Impala isn't on the agenda, that car is on its way out.

My take on the Gen X'ers are quite different. With them(or me, I'm 28) there is not that same 'brand loyalty' that the big 3 enjoyed during the 20th century. We among this site are 'car buffs' so to speak and pay far greater attention than the general 20-30 something population at large. Young people want what's hot and are not too particular about which 'brand' brings that to market. It is my firm belief that any 22 year old college grad starting their first $35k+ job and paying back student loans would consider both a Camry and Malibu with feature content, style quotient and competitive pricing winning out over 'Brand Identity'.

I'm not totally discounting those loyal boomers like my 67 year old pops who like to find a good brand and stick with it. But I do believe that Gen X'ers are not to be lumped into the same category as it relates to 'buying tastes' and 'brand loyalty'

As to my opinion on the 08 bu'................... :bowdown::chevy:

They should make that song Nelly and Kelly Rowland put out a few years ago, 'My BOO', the backdrop for the first ad campaign, lol. :AH-HA_wink:

I like that pricing. GM needs to focus on building a good car, and not worry about being the price leader. The price leader strategy has failed many times over. I think 1LT should be LS and 2LT just LT to avoid confusion, and call the base model nothing.

They should work on a direct injection 4-cylinder also, GM is a little behind on good 4-cylinders and they could push the turbo 4s more as a fuel efficient, performance option. It is a shame the 2.0 turbo is only in the Solstice/Sky and HHR. They should use turbo DI 4 cylinders in other cars like the Aura and Malibu.

It'll still be with us a couple of more years. GM has to be careful not to create too much demand from Kansas City and too little from Oshawa especially if they don't have the spare capacity at KC. Keeping the line moving reasonably well in Oshawa (esp with GP being axed and Lax a lame duck) is the only reason I can see why GM would price the Malibu at near Camry levels.

Here's a novel idea, maybe its a better car.

It certainly looks like one.

Also, for all intents and purposes the new Malibu is the replacement for the current Impala. The upcoming RWD car will be an entirely different animal.

Pricing seems ok. The "in person" test will enable buyers to decide...will I pop almost $ 20 K for the base model and so on?

The only disappointment I see is that the hybrid does NOT churn out that much more gas mileage over the base 4 cylinder. Why is that? I would have expected a leap in mpg to justify the price uptick. Don't Prius's get mileage that's way better than that?

And if the Zeta based Impala is shown in concept form at LAIAS, the public will pretty much forget all about the front wheel drive Impala, that car will be a rental queen as Malibu production ramps up. The Malibu will be a far superior car.

67 y/o people are not Baby Boomers. Officially, it's anyone born between 1946-64, per US Census.

It's kind of good that there are no more 'strippo' models too. [iused to call them 'old timer specials', with AM Radio as only option] most just sat in showrooms, while the optioned out cars sold. And in long run, cars with more features have better resale.

Edited by Chicagoland

I wouldn't worry too much about not building enough at KC, as GM plans to build some Bu's at it's Lansing plant....

If needed, they could cut G6 production...

In such a cut-throat midsize segment I think GM priced it well. When was the last time a GM car came with so many standard features that the Malibu has, and at a price that is very reasonable? Normally all these options that are offered standard on the 'Bu would rack up the price even before you could catch your breath.

I will probably get trashed by others here, but the Hybrid is a bit of a disappointment.

"Malibu performance comes from two powerful yet fuel-efficient dual-overhead cam four- and six-cylinder engines, including a standard 169-horsepower (126 kW) 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine that delivers 30 mpg highway, 22 city (’08 EPA); and an available 252-horsepower (188 kW) 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 26 mpg highway and 17 city.

The Malibu Hybrid, featuring the affordable GM Hybrid System, also goes on sale in November. Powered by a hybrid version of the 2.4L Ecotec, it is rated at 32 mpg highway and 24 city. "

I would expect the Hybrid to get more than just 2 miles more per gallon in City and Highway. <_< Yes I realize this is bigger than that Coffin on Wheels Butt Ugly thing called a Prius.

Edited by dfelt

I will probably get trashed by others here, but the Hybrid is a bit of a disappointment.

"Malibu performance comes from two powerful yet fuel-efficient dual-overhead cam four- and six-cylinder engines, including a standard 169-horsepower (126 kW) 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine that delivers 30 mpg highway, 22 city (’08 EPA); and an available 252-horsepower (188 kW) 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 26 mpg highway and 17 city.

The Malibu Hybrid, featuring the affordable GM Hybrid System, also goes on sale in November. Powered by a hybrid version of the 2.4L Ecotec, it is rated at 32 mpg highway and 24 city. "

I would expect the Hybrid to get more than just 2 miles more per gallon in City and Highway. <_< Yes I realize this is bigger than that Coffin on Wheels Butt Ugly thing called a Prius.

It's a mild hybrid just like the Aura Greenline. Depending on the performance and acceleration it will either be worth it for the price or not. If it's slower than the regular 2.4L model I don't see it being worth it, specially once the 6sp auto becomes available for the 4cyl model and might boost mileage by a point or so.

Wait wait wait... what's the price of the 4-cylinder LTZ?

There is no 4-cylinder LTZ. You can get a well-optioned 4-cylinder 2LT, although it won't have the climate control, accent lighting, leather (suede is better anyway), 8-way power driver seat, power passenger seat, fog lights, chrome door handles, heated auto-dimming mirror, silver grille, 18" wheels, LED tails, and TAPshift of the LTZ.

Wait wait wait... what's the price of the 4-cylinder LTZ?

There is no 4-cylinder LTZ. You can get a well-optioned 4-cylinder 2LT, although it won't have the climate control, accent lighting, leather (suede is better anyway), 8-way power driver seat, power passenger seat, fog lights, chrome door handles, heated auto-dimming mirror, silver grille, 18" wheels, LED tails, and TAPshift of the LTZ.

The 4-cyl 6-spd auto LTZ won't arrive until next Spring. I'm sure pricing will be released closer to availability.

Chevrolet Malibu Press Release:

Four-cylinder-equipped models come with a four-speed transmission with overdrive. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with the 3.6L V-6 and will be available next spring on the four-cylinder-equipped LTZ – the first four-cylinder engine/six-speed transmission combination in the segment.

The 4-cyl 6-spd auto LTZ won't arrive until next Spring. I'm sure pricing will be released closer to availability.

Chevrolet Malibu Press Release:

Excellent... 18" wheels really make the car.

GM needed to sell cars with more features for the SAME price as competitor's vehicles with less features. Its what Toyota did for years.

Throughout the 1990s Toyotas were more expensive than the domestic competiton but had less power and less features (Lexus didn't even get dual-zone climate control until 1997 let alone Toyota vehicles) with many of the available features requiring dealer installation.

I remember reading several articles discussing mid 1990's Camries and Corollas in comparison tests that were technically "strippers" that just "felt" more expensive than they were.

Just to put a little sense of perspective here, the Malibu was not a '70s and early '80s volume success because it had 18" wheels or an 18 speed transmission: it was a success because it was roomy, rode decently, was priced right, got decent gas mileage and fit the most family's budgets in a time when larger vehicles were waning.

Choice is great, but GM needs to be careful about a $30k Malibu: that is Allure and Impala territory. Let the new G-6 have 18" wheels and focus the Malibu on being the best mid-size family hauler out there in a time when the SUV/minivan markets are trembling. Market the hell out of that, and GM will have a sales success, without having to fleet them out.

Just to put a little sense of perspective here, the Malibu was not a '70s and early '80s volume success because it had 18" wheels or an 18 speed transmission: it was a success because it was roomy, rode decently, was priced right, got decent gas mileage and fit the most family's budgets in a time when larger vehicles were waning.

Trouble is.....those attributes alone are not enough to make it in today's market......GM needs to leapfrog the competition....not just match it (or in some cases <cough, cough...the interior quality>....not match the competition.)

Edited by The O.C.

The competition is using DOHC engines so you have to use DOHC engine too.

... yea well the impala proved that DOHC isnt champion...

i dont know size dementions or power output, but i'm pretty sure it wins the hp/gallon war... but sometimes thats not the ultimate desire

... yea well the impala proved that DOHC isnt champion...

i dont know size dementions or power output, but i'm pretty sure it wins the hp/gallon war... but sometimes thats not the ultimate desire

The only thing the Impala proved is that fleets don't care what kind of engine is in there. Personally I have nothing against pushrod engines but the standards are set by the market leaders.

• 5 months later...

If you want a 2008 Malibu Hybrid (or AURA Green Line, for that matter), forget about it. Production will be limited to the hundreds, and most will be dealer "visual display units" in select cities. There will be zero inventory until June. Wait for model year 2009, when actual "planned production volume" begins. In software terms, think of the '08s as vaporware.

I was wondering why there weren't any green lines at Crowfoot Saturn all year last year...

well sometimes, dealerships get to order what they think will sell

other times,

you get what GM distributes, and based on your area and your C.S.I. (Consumer Satisfaction Index) GM will give you what you order, or give you what they think you ought to have. if you have a good CSI score, you can choose whatever you want. if not, GM may throw the duds on the dealership. who knows where the fault lies, maybe the owner doesnt want to support the idea of hybrids.