1979 shoebox

I cannot explain why I am so drawn to the 78-81 Chevy G-body coupe.
I just am. This one weighs 2880 lbs, looks stock, runs 12's with an
angry mouse motor and lots of Edelbrock goods.

Why do my avatars look so grainy and stupid? I've tried different things...any clues are much appreciated. 
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="26692"][/post]

What the hell happened to that SSR?

Yup, they're pretty cool in a minimalist 1979 kind of way.

Here's a non-grainy Avatar. ----> Posted Image

Well, that was thoughtful 68, thanks. I love simple sleeper cars. Anyway, the interior has a 2004 Malibu Instrument Panel, 99 Grand Am console, Nice buckets from a newer Mopar, '70 SS steering wheel and full gauges...all charcoal & grey. I have had many cars like this, but this one is from Florida and it's exc. cond.

Well, that was thoughtful 68, thanks. I love simple sleeper cars. Anyway, the
interior has a 2004 Malibu Instrument Panel, 99 Grand Am console, Nice buckets
from a newer Mopar, '70 SS steering wheel and full gauges...all charcoal & grey.
I have had many cars like this, but this one is from Florida and it's exc. cond.

[post="27322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No problem buddy. Cool combo ('04 dash, g/a console) let's see some pics when you get a chance. AA kid i know has a 80s IrocZ with a 2002 Camaro interior in it.

The last of the RWD Malibus were neat. They are BOF but wicked lightweight... you can still easily stuff a 454 or 572 in one while keeping the bone stock appearance (provided you get some serious spring upgrades) and the car is invisibl;e to cops and theives. :cheers:

So what do you have between the fenders? A 350?, 383 stroker?

It thumps with a 355cu in. 4bolt main from 1970, aluminum heads, 10:1 forged pistons and a special long duration cam for a wicked rough idle. This is my 5th V-8 assembly and the best yet. There is a very special feeling you get from building your own, plus you can save a lot of money if you do it right.... Like the panther unit, it has a single leg rear end which slows take offs, but keeps driveline from breaking often. On the bright side, it chirps gears and does easy burnouts. I'm hunting for a Grand National posi rear.

Awsome, thanks for sharing! :) Gota love the SBC, what else can even come close for durability, availability and cheap power upgraded while delivering reliable transportation.

Sweet car.. There's one with a custom exhaust setup that drives by my house quite often.. and get's my heart thumping every time B) Your tnterior sounds quite unique I'd really like to see some pics of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I always thought the Malibu coupes of that era bore more than a passing resembalance to the '64-65 Malibu coupes. By the way, weren't they still 'A' bodies then? I didn't think the G-body designation came about until '82 when the FWD A-bodies came out..

Wow.... crazy the center stack looks so at home it's creepy. :)

By the way, weren't they still 'A' bodies then?  I didn't think the G-body designation came about until '82 when the FWD A-bodies came out..

*nods*

Yes, sir, afaik, you are correct :).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You were never really ever here" ... Goo Goo Dolls ... 'Here Is Gone'

Wow.... crazy the center stack looks so at home it's creepy. :)

I don't know why, but I just love newer designed interiors (reguardless on how they're precieved in the orginal vehicle) transplanted into a classic car/truck.

Very cool. Never again (esp. in the 21st century) will there be an engine as versatile, durable, economical to build, simple to work on & infinately adaptable as the Chevy Small Block. :wub:

*nods*

Yes, sir, afaik, you are correct :).
Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You were never really ever here" ... Goo Goo Dolls ... 'Here Is Gone'

[post="96237"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope, not correct . 1964-1977 = A-body 1978-1988 = G body

• 2 months later...
Speeding Penguin needs to post his new ride... I'm sure MightyMouse will love it. :wink:

• 1 month later...
Looking Good! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always thought the Malibu coupes of that era bore more than a passing resembalance to the '64-65 Malibu coupes.

By the way, weren't they still 'A' bodies then?  I didn't think the G-body designation came about until '82 when the FWD A-bodies came out..

[snapback]96064[/snapback]

You are exactly right - confirmed through records at GM, the platform
breakpoint from A to G bodies was 1982. Sorry for any confusion.
Because so many components interchange, it is probably best to refer
to those corporate brothers from 78-88 as A/G bodies.....

RWD A body cars were redesignated as G platform cause they decided
to continue production, and add Monte SS', Grand Nationals, 442s etc.
I'm glad they did that.

Wow, you learn something every day. I have never heard the '78-'81 cars called A bodies (although they should have been all the way to '88). Collectively, those two platform designations covering the years from '64-'88 comprise most of my favorite cars of all time. In fact, the end of G-body production in '88 effectively ended my interest in almost all new cars as we entered the dark ages of FWD domination of the market. Terrible days indeed.

Wow, you learn something every day. I have never heard the '78-'81 cars called A bodies (although they should have been all the way to '88). Collectively, those two platform designations covering the years from '64-'88 comprise most of my favorite cars of all time. In fact, the end of G-body production in '88 effectively ended my interest in almost all new cars as we entered the dark ages of FWD domination of the market. Terrible days indeed.

[snapback]187159[/snapback]

I feel exactly the same...Luckily for me there are many to be found in my
area, which end up at salvage yards. Underbodies and floorpans go quick when
rotted by salt! Lots of other good parts for cheap tho.

I want to build another one with/for my son who is now 14...I am seriously
contemplating a 500 Cadillac engine for my Malibu. I found a rotted
84 regal with the 500 swapped into it...runs good! I will make it eat a cam
and get a aluminum intake, port the heads myself...My car has parts that range
from1969- 2004. Interchangeability is awesome on this platform.

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 21 2006, 09:56 PM)
I always thought the Malibu coupes of that era bore more than a passing resembalance to the '64-65 Malibu coupes.

Seeing this picture of the Malibu does support your statement:

Posted Image

I've always liked the Malbu coupes. What was the last year that they were offered?

• 1 year later...

Very nice!

I don't recognize them, what are they?

look like rims off an s10/blazer

Need some better shots of the entire car. Seems like they'd be pretty cool though.

What happened to your interior? Decided you didn't like the newer malibu style? (can't blame ya there)...I like what you did to it originally anyway with the metal bars and such...

Now you just need some lowering springs.

I was also gonna make mention about your car overheating, but then I realized it is probably the exhaust from the truck. :P Edited by Nick

look like rims off an s10/blazer

Need some better shots of the entire car. Seems like they'd be pretty cool though.

What happened to your interior? Decided you didn't like the newer malibu style? (can't blame ya there)...I like what you did to it originally anyway with the metal bars and such...

Now you just need some lowering springs.

I was also gonna make mention about your car overheating, but then I realized it is probably the exhaust from the truck. :P

They came on late model extreme S-10/S-15 P/Us...ZQ8 pkg.
I needed metric studs, to use the lug-nuts w/ outer threads to retain the center caps....
So I bought 87 Monte rotors that fit perfect! no prob.

Posted Image
No overheating allowed. Twin fans are from a new dodge ram....only use one for normal traffic,
In stop and go traffic on a hot day, I flip on the second fan and it drops right to 185 degrees.
Posted Image
Thanks for all the nice comments you guys.

I have 2" drop spindles waiting on the bench and a 700R4 trans ready to go in.