What WILL be missing from the market soon

Camino LS6

Its so hard to predict. Crytal-balling isn't my forte.

But BOF SUVs are out. Crossovers are in. More specifically RWD in CUV's will dwindle, too b/c of interior space concerns.

But the market for Explorers and such will stay alive through the everlasting need for RWD BOF pickups.

Good topic, dude.

Body on frame cars and mid size body on frame SUV's will be gone by 2012. The Panthers and TrailBlazer/Envoy will be gone, the Durango/Aspen will be either be discontinued or based on the Grand Cherokee, and the Explorer is moving to D3.

I cannot see anything other than what has been posted.

I know mid sized Suv's are pretty much dead except in other places like South America. That is why GM Brazil will be developing the next compact trucks for GM globally.

Minivans will now die, but the numbers will be lower.

The next full sized Fords will probably switch to unibody. They are the last Body on Frame vehicles.

I expect the line between mid sized and full sized cars to blur even more. The imports keep growing in size and the American cars are getting smaller. There will be a middle ground. Impala is a prime example of that blurred line.

If gas prices go up, we will see either less horsepower or smaller engines producing more power.

Bench seats. There is only: Impala, Lucerne, LaCrosse, DTS( option), Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Marquis. It is a shame..

Full size and midsize truck based SUV's, except for the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL/Escalade/ESV.

I wish the TB and Envoy would stay. There is a market, but it is very small. The Suburban lasted for 50 years selling in small numbers.

The thing the Ute/Crewman could turn the mid-size truck market on its ear with their great handling and unexpected toughness.

I cannot see anything other than what has been posted.

I know mid sized Suv's are pretty much dead except in other places like South America. That is why GM Brazil will be developing the next compact trucks for GM globally.

Minivans will now die, but the numbers will be lower.

The next full sized Fords will probably switch to unibody. They are the last Body on Frame vehicles.

I expect the line between mid sized and full sized cars to blur even more. The imports keep growing in size and the American cars are getting smaller. There will be a middle ground. Impala is a prime example of that blurred line.

If gas prices go up, we will see either less horsepower or smaller engines producing more power.

Bench seats. There is only: Impala, Lucerne, LaCrosse, DTS( option), Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Marquis. It is a shame..

See it and weep:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/colt/styling/index.html

Posted Image

(Yes that's a column-shift).

Do three-across buckets count?

Posted Image

Edited by thegriffon

So is the full sized 2008 Honda Accord. Will GM make the Epsilon II replacements for the Aura, LaCrosse, and Malibu full sized to compete?

Wishful thinking: Foreign trucks

Really though, I don't see minivans having much of a future. The new Caravan is probably the last of the breed, being replaced by much better and less awkward looking Crossovers/CUVs.

Large coupes are already gone for the most part. Small and mid-size (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, G6, Altima, G35, etc) coupes are here to stay for at least a little while.

Large SUVs aren't doing as well anymore, but there will always be a market for certain ones (H2, Escalade, Suburban, etc).

I also think the stereotype hybrids are on their way out. You know, the Prius/Insight type. New hybrids will be better and better looking, put in normal everyday vehicles (SUVs, Malibu, Aura, VUE, Camry, Civic, etc).

I believe midsize SUVs will be reduced to a few specialized models, hardcore off-roaders such as the H3, Grand Cherokee and Discovery, and 7-seat pickup-based models such as the Pathfinder, 4Runner, and Blazer, all three returning to their pickup-based roots with a core market outside North America and Europe. The main wildcard is Chinese-owned Ssangyong and its Russian offspring (Severstal's new UAZ models will be Ssangyong-based).

I believe midsize SUVs will be reduced to a few specialized models, hardcore off-roaders such as the H3, Grand Cherokee and Discovery, and 7-seat pickup-based models such as the Pathfinder, 4Runner, and Blazer, all three returning to their pickup-based roots with a core market outside North America and Europe. The main wildcard is Chinese-owned Ssangyong and its Russian offspring (Severstal's new UAZ models will be Ssangyong-based).

Interesting. hmmmmm. Makes sense too.