Followers 0
Northstar

Will Ford pony up Lincoln?

39 posts in this topic

Will Ford pony up Lincoln?
Automaker considers building coupe based on the Mustang

By Amy Wilson
Automotive News / October 10, 2005

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is considering making a Mustang-based sporty Lincoln coupe this decade, possibly in 2009, insiders say.

The proposal, still in its early stages, would give Lincoln its first rear-drive coupe since the Mark VIII was killed in 1998.

Ford has acknowledged studying a Mustang-based Mercury. A company insider says the Lincoln proposal is more serious.

The Lincoln would have a unique interior and exterior. But it would share underpinnings with the Mustang, which was redesigned for the 2005 model year to great fanfare.

Ford has said it expects to produce at least 192,000 Mustangs this year at its Mazda joint-venture plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The highest Mustang production in recent years was 191,432 units in 1999. But that was at a different plant in Dearborn, Mich., that only produced Mustangs. In addition to the redesigned Mustang, the Flat Rock plant also is expected to build about 75,000 Mazda6 sedans, five-doors and wagons this year.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54852

Lincoln Continental Mark IX. B) someone do a chop!

The Mark 10 concept was cool but the front end was a bit uninspired. The rear quarters were very sleek.

Posted Image

This is the Linconl concept car I'd love to see realised more than any other:

Posted Image

Actually this was pretty awsome too! :metal:

Posted Image

Actually this was pretty awsome too!  :metal:

Posted Image

[post="26751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Um... I really don't know about this one...

Posted Image

You're right, F*** Lincoln build it as the car we Resurect Oldsmobile with! :D

Based on the Mustang? God hopes it'll be a totally different beast. Haven't the Lincoln Mark-series coupes been built on high-line FoMoCo chassies shared with T-Birds and Cougars as of late?

Based on the Mustang?

God hopes it'll be a totally different beast. Haven't the Lincoln Mark-series coupes been built on high-line FoMoCo chassies shared with T-Birds and Cougars as of late?

[post="26778"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

On a cheerier note, the Mustang shares its platform with the Jag S-type and Lincoln LS. Maybe they'll throw in an IRS, because axle tramp and side-stepping isn't really a trait of a premium vehicle.

If it's Mustang-based, it'll prolly look like this in the front due to the headlights on the Mustang:

Posted Image Edited by Croc

Sorry, but to me, the Lincoln Mark 10 concept looks like they put on a replacement door since it doesn't have that horizontal line on it. (Not quite as bad as, but reminding me of, a car where they got replacement sheet metal whose color doesn't match the rest of the car.)

Sweet, I've heard rumors for a while, but it sounds like they're starting to solidify. I'd like to see them take cues from various Lincoln concepts, but I hope the rear trunk has the Mark-trademarked hump. It needs muscular, aerodynamic lines like the Mark VII. The Mark X concept is pretty good, but I think they could make it somewhat more aggressive looking. Either way, any RWD Lincoln coupe is good in my book...now do something for Mercury.

If it's Mustang-based, it'll prolly look like this in the front due to the headlights on the Mustang:

Posted Image

[post="26846"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In fact I don't think this concept is a lot better as well. It looks dated, like a 1993 Nissan Gloria:

Posted Image

Haven't the Lincoln Mark-series coupes been built on high-line FoMoCo chassies shared with T-Birds and Cougars as of late?

The 1984 to 1992 Mark VII shared the Fox platform with the 1979 to 2004 Mustang (as well as the Capri for part of that time), 1980 to 1988 Thunderbird/Cougar, 1982 to 1987 Lincoln Continental, not to mention Fairmont/Zephyr, 1981/1982 Granada/Cougar, and 1983 - 1986 small LTD/Marquis. Ford used to be quite good at getting a lot of cars off a platform, so hopefully they can derive a nice Lincoln personal luxury coupe off the Mustang platform.

Actually, the 1983-88 (restyled body for 1987) Thunderbird/Cougar rode shorter wheelbases than the 1980-82 models. I figured they were still derived from the Fox platform though. I'd love to see a Mustang-based Lincoln. Call it Jubilee, give it the Duratec 35 3.5-liter DOHC 245hp V-6 engine and 6-speed OD electronic automatic transmission, maybe the 4.6-liter DOHC 300hp V-8 and/or 6-speed OD manual as optional, position it against the Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class and BMW 3-Series Coupe/Cabriolet models.

I'd love to see this happen as long as it isn't a re-badge. "Boy, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that HOT ROD LINCOLN" :D

Based on the Mustang?

God hopes it'll be a totally different beast. Haven't the Lincoln Mark-series coupes been built on high-line FoMoCo chassies shared with T-Birds and Cougars as of late?

[post="26778"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You do relise that the 80s and 90s T-Bird/Cougar/MarkVII were based off of the Fox body right? That was just a stretched Mustang chassis. Even the whole front clip was pretty much interchangable with a Stang.

As far as the Mark VIII it looked a lot more modern and sophisticated but I've been fooled by Ford before. I'm doubtful it was a ground up car. Nice as it was it was probably just a heavely reworked Fox-chassis. At least it was a RWD coupe which is more than Cadillac had those years. <_<

BTW: our old friend LOrdStafford is driving a gorgeous Mark VIII these days. He emailed me a few months ago when he bought it.

You do relise that the 80s and 90s T-Bird/Cougar/MarkVII were based off of the Fox body right?

Nice as it was it was probably just a heavely reworked Fox-chassis. At least it was a RWD coupe which is more than Cadillac had those years. <_<

Not the 90's. As Mule (I prefer the name Uncle Dave) said above, the Thunderbird and Cougar were put on the Fox platform in 1980, heavily restyled for 1983 - but stayed on a slightly shorter wheelbase Fox platform; modestly restyled for 1987. The Mark VII went on the Fox platform in 1984. Hard to believe these nice coupes were basically Fairmonts underneath. In 1989, the Thunderbird/Cougar went on a new platform - MN12 - which was fairly sophisticated and expensive and had independent rear suspension. Some Ford managers got in serious trouble with the (I believe) Ford chairman Red Poling because of the high cost and weight of these cars. In 1993, the Mark VIII went to MN12. Sometimes I regret that Ford did not make more widespread use of MN12; it would be still a good platform for today. However, some have said that Ford's last good RWD platform is the Panther that debuted in 1978; the more recent RWD platforms - MN12 and DEW98 - were costly and not rigid enough.

ehaase is absolutely correct. my cars are foxes (86 and 87 mk7 LSC's), mk8s are based off of the MN12. I believe theyre even a little longer than the others. As far as front ends being interchangeable on Mark VIIs and Mustangs? thats not quite correct. at all. but the fact is that there is a LOT of parts sharing in the fox cars.

...I'd love to see a Mustang-based Lincoln. Call it Jubilee, give it the Duratec 35 3.5-liter DOHC 245hp V-6 engine and 6-speed OD electronic automatic transmission, maybe the 4.6-liter DOHC 300hp V-8 and/or 6-speed OD manual as optional, position it against the Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class and BMW 3-Series Coupe/Cabriolet models.

[post="26945"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How about a bored-out 3.8v6 version with around 300hp std and an optional Yamaha 4.4v8 -turbo?- (these may be going in the Lincoln D385 sport sedan too) - that'd sure be different from a rebadge.
But I prefer the name Sentinel (or just "HRL").
Posted Image Edited by 2b2

This is a great idea. Hopefully it will be more differentiated from the Mustang than the Zephyr is from the Fusion. <_<

I am let down by another statement made in the article though: it says it is less likely Mercury will get a version of the car. Mercury needs some excitement just as much as Lincoln does.

Mercury needs a Cougar again!!! And none of that rebadged Ford Probe FWD MAzda crap! :angry:

Give it a V6 base (LX?) 4.6 liter V8 for the XR7 and perhaps (dare I ask) a SC 4.6 out of the old Cobra for the Eliminator.

Posted Image

The last Cougar was based on the Contour/Mistake platform, which was in turn based on the European Mondeo.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room