Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST GLIMPSE: 2010 Buick LaCrosse Interior

Flybrian

First Look at the 2010 LaCrosse  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the LaX Renderings?

• I like, love it, want some more of it!
    • Very good, but...
    • Not bad, was expecting more
    • Not much better than today's LaX
    • Back to the drawing board!

FIRST GLIMPSE: 2010 Buick LaCrosse Interior
Posted Image
Photoshop courtesy of Ted Krygier

General Motors has released these four renderings of a future vehicle labeled 'GMX-353', which is the internal designation for the next-generation Buick LaCrosse. Based on the forthcoming Epsilon II mid/large FWD platform, the next LaCrosse is intended on taking the current midsize Buick to the next level in terms of luxury and refinement. If these conceptualizations are even partially telling of the production sedan, then that goal will be readily achieved.

Posted Image

The first rendering of the gauge binnicle (above) shows an advanced design with heavy use of metallic textures. A stitched leather dashboard and binnicle upper is apparent. The current Buick theme of moving towards soft, blue hues and ambient lighting is evidenced within the gauges themselves as well as the center-mounted driver's information center.

Posted Image

The leather-wrapped gear selector pictured above emphasizes luxury over sportiness by forgoing a seperate selector gate in favor of a clean linear design. Shifting of the 2010 LaCrosse's 6-speed transmission will likely be handled by an integrated button on the gear selector (not pictured).

Posted Image

Identified as one of GM's 'NG corporate 4-spokes,' the above wheel combines multiple materials and colors to create a unique and well-appointed look. In a reverse of tradition, woodtones trim dominant metallic elements on the horizontal spoke with neatly-integrated cruise control and redundant audio controls . The overall design itself combines the sporty ambiance of a three-spoke with the ease and class of a four-spoke.

Posted Image

The last and most intriguing rendering is of the NG LaX's center stack. As stated in previous interviews, the current black-tie radios are but a stepping stone to full integration. This design showcases integration it in one of its best forms. Navigation, radio, and HVAC functions are combined in a single control unit with gradiants of gray delineating the fuctions. Ambient lighting peaks through again from behind the principle radio function controls and also through the scroll wheel, which serves as the controller for both navigation and radio with different rotaries serving different functions.

Though we are still left to guess as to what the entirety of the LaCrosse will look like, we can spectulate that it will more than hold its own in the competitive premium market given the look and design of these interior elements. Buick has always been known for procuring beautifully-luxurious vehicles with upscale designs inside and out. From the looks of it, the LaCrosse will return Buick to that tradition and follow in the wide footsteps left by the Enclave.

Additional Info: Buick's LaCrosse (GMX-353) is slated to arrive in winter of 2009 as a 2010 model. It will be the second American car (following the AURA) to use the wider Epsilon II platform. Powertrain selection is unknown but is likely to include a 3.6l direct-injection V6 and use GM's front-wheel drive six-speed automatic transmission. Pricing is likely to increase over the current LaCrosse, but so will power, equipment, and refinement. The 2010 LaCrosse will share much in common with its Chinese market sister.

Downloadable High-Resolution Images
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

P.S. Check out other future GM interior conceptual imagery (BRX, Lambda MCE, GMT-900 MCE) here:
:forum:GM Design Center Conceptual Interior Elements

P.P.S. Thanks to member Derek77 for bringing these to our attention! :thumbsup:

my heart just skipped a beat. this stuff is amazing. i have no doubt that the next LaCrosse will look amazing on the outside, but thanks to this illustrations it should be awesome inside too.

i see some resemblence to the buick riviera concept. (colors, layout, etc)

i like the smooth cleans line. nothing edgy, just clean luxury.

just to be sure, the 1st Epsilon2 vehicle will be the Aura?

Edited by jbartley

Honda and Toyota already have integrated consoles like that, and Nav systems, etc, Buick is about 10 years behind mainstream cars, and even farther behind the premium ones. That steering wheel and gauges are ugly, I realize they are just conceptual drawings but I am not impressed. In my lifetime Buick has never done anything that impressed me.

The 3.6 DI engine is good, but there should be 2.8-3.0 DI V6 as well, since I think 300 hp in a front drive car is too much and they could improve on fuel economy with a smaller engine, and many care more about gas mileage. GM should scrap all pushrod V6s, all 4 and 6 cylinders should be VVT and DI with a 6 speed auto by 2010 model year. Aveo could use a 5 speed auto.

very nice everything but ... i'm not a person that likes all in one center stacks. very nice, clean, simple cluster. shifter = nice, no "tap shift"? steering wheel, very nice, hard to imagine an air bag behind that though.

Honda and Toyota already have integrated consoles like that, and Nav systems, etc, Buick is about 10 years behind mainstream cars, and even farther behind the premium ones. That steering wheel and gauges are ugly, I realize they are just conceptual drawings but I am not impressed. In my lifetime Buick has never done anything that impressed me.

The 3.6 DI engine is good, but there should be 2.8-3.0 DI V6 as well, since I think 300 hp in a front drive car is too much and they could improve on fuel economy with a smaller engine, and many care more about gas mileage. GM should scrap all pushrod V6s, all 4 and 6 cylinders should be VVT and DI with a 6 speed auto by 2010 model year. Aveo could use a 5 speed auto.

Why am I not surprised who voted for GM to go back to the drawing board. :rolleyes:

We've already seen where Honda will be by the end of the year with the 2008 Accord. The 2010 LaCrosse/Regal will be in a higher class.

Oh, and matching the premium competition in controls integration means they're no longer 10 years behind.

The name is not changing to Regal, though I feel Regal does go better with Enclave than LaCrosse.

I can still hope. The car is over a year away until we start hearing solid details. Anything can change in a year. Regal is already known in China, Canada, & the US. GM could finally drop the Allure/LaCrosse debacle and bring Regal back.

Wow! These guys are serious about taking no Suxel. I hope that the hopes aren't ruined by the exterior.

I agree about the name. LaCrosse doesnt fit, and its still early enough that the name could change. I think Allure is even better than LaCrosse, and goes better with Enclave, but Regal is the best.

If the new LaCrosse is coming for '10, then do you think we'll see this at the 09 Auto Shows?

I like the shifter and the steering wheel, but the instrument cluster and console doesn't have the Buick feel to them.

They're all cool, don't get me wrong now...just some of it I don't think fit the image of the brand.

Hey Axel - check out the pic with the instrumentation cluster. It has wood/satin metal on each side right below the leather stitched upper dash. I bet that it follows the upper dash across the width of the interior (over the console and onto the passenger's side) to help maintain a horizontal theme which is echoed by the steering wheel design. In that manner, it would continue an interior style that's identifiably Buick. :thumbsup:

Let's see... the gauges are ok, but I doubt they'll make production, at least in a Buick.

I like the shifter.

The steering wheel is decent... like someone said, it will be interesting to see how the integrate an airbag.

The console is where I'm sold. FINALLY, a Buick center stack that looks closer to Cadillac than Chevrolet. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Ahh too many buttons. :AH-HA_wink:

300hp in a front-wheel drive car is too much for Nissan or Acura or someone else who similarly doesn't know what they're doing, but GM eliminates torque steer to almost nil in high-torque, high-power front drivers.

So what is GM's secret for eliminating torque steer? Taller gear ratios? :thumbsup:

Honda doesn't know what they're doing when they build a FWD car with a weight and power disadvantage that beats its RWD competition around the track?

Here is what Road and Track had to say about the TL-S's torque steer: "Torque steer is present when mashing the throttle pedal coming out of turns, but it’s so slight, it’s hardly an issue." Pretty good considering the TL-S is geared aggressively (6-speed manual) with a limited slip differential.

Ahh too many buttons. :AH-HA_wink:

So what is GM's secret for eliminating torque steer? Taller gear ratios? :thumbsup:

Honda doesn't know what they're doing when they build a FWD car with a weight and power disadvantage that beats its RWD competition around the track?

Here is what Road and Track had to say about the TL-S's torque steer: "Torque steer is present when mashing the throttle pedal coming out of turns, but it’s so slight, it’s hardly an issue." Pretty good considering the TL-S is geared aggressively (6-speed manual) with a limited slip differential.

LSD and AWD. Two things the Grand Prix GXP doesn't have and yet it doesn't exhibit lots of torque steer.

All I can say is wow. I mean WOW like WHY ON EARTH is GM showing this to the public 3 years before it comes out?!?! To gauge public reaction? The generate hype? Why?

In 3 years, when/if this interior hits the market, the competition will have had plenty of time to copy and better this effort. What a shame.

It's ANOTHER frustrating example of GM hyping future products when they don't have enough stuff to hype that's in the showrooms today. They've been doing this for decades. Tomorrow... Tomorrow...

Mark

Wow! It looks like GM is pretty serious about restoring Buick's near luxury status. If it can properly execute these interior design proposals, then I think Buick will have competitive products in the near luxury market. I have high hopes for these future products and the future of the Buick division. The Enclave was a giant leap in the right direction. Let's hope Buick/GM can keep the momentum going.

I hope they drop the LaCrosse name, though.

Looks awesome!!!! I drew a Regal, or a LaCrosse, or whatever they're calling this 2010 model, and I made it look like a mid-size sedan essentially resembling the 2007 Riviera concept car. I haven't done the front end yet, but I thought that was the least successful design element on the Riviera concept. Should GMX353 have 260hp (like the G8) or 275hp standard, like in most Lambdas?

I'm really interested to know what this NG LaCrosse will look like.

Although I really don't have any problem with the LaCrosse name... but I've always loved the Regal name. It means something to me, and I associate it with sporty/luxurious.

Interesting Ted... thanks. It gives a better idea of what kind of interior they're going for. One thing I HATE about the gauges... and I've said it before... I hate gauges that have the numbers angled around them. I like my numbers all vertical.

for one, Direct injection doesnt require scrapping of pushrods...

the ohv is a much lighter, cheaper, and less moving parts then its dohc counterparts... they can produce more hp/liter more hp/gallon of fuel...

GM has intentions of incorperating DI, VVT, AFM, etc on all models by 2010 time frame... along with 6 speeds...

and obviously your impression of buick only demistrates your youth...

Yes. This is truly what I've been waiting to see. This interior is beautiful, and fitting an ES350 killer. This is what I've been waiting to see... sure, I love the Enclave, and would get on above all Lambdas (if I even needed a crossover); but as nice as the interior is, it's black tie. This interior is fully intergrated, kicking ass and taking names... need to see the real thing, NOW.

All I can say is wow. I mean WOW like WHY ON EARTH is GM showing this to the public 3 years before it comes out?!?! To gauge public reaction? The generate hype? Why?

In 3 years, when/if this interior hits the market, the competition will have had plenty of time to copy and better this effort. What a shame.

It's ANOTHER frustrating example of GM hyping future products when they don't have enough stuff to hype that's in the showrooms today. They've been doing this for decades. Tomorrow... Tomorrow...

Mark

You might want to go back and read the topic comments. Northstar stated production of the 2010 LaCrosse begins Jan'09. That's 15 months away! We'll be seeing it debut much sooner than that, so this really isn't too far in advance. :fryingpan::)