August 2007 Sales: General Motors

FOR RELEASE: 2007-09-04

GM Reports 388,168 August Deliveries

Bucking The Industry Trend, 5 Percent Total Sales Increase Led By Full-Size Pickups and All-New Crossovers

GMC Division Up More Than 21 Percent; Chevrolet Up Nearly 9 Percent

Market Share Expected To Be The Best of 2007 So Far

DETROIT - GM dealers in the United States delivered 388,168 vehicles in August, up more than 5 percent compared with year-ago monthly sales, a strong performance that resulted in an anticipated highest-of-the-year market share of nearly 26 percent. Brisk sales of full-size pickups and crossover SUVs led the increase.

"Bucking the trend in the industry, we were able to post healthy sales results in August. When combining retail sales with our growing commercial business, our sales were up when compared with last August. Importantly, last month was our third-best retail month of the year," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "With the double-digit decline in daily rental sales so far this year, and an overall market that remains challenging and competitive, we continue to stabilize our retail share and pricing in the market."

Customers are also recognizing the quality of GM products. A recent study ranked Buick number one (tied with Lexus) in vehicle dependability. Another customer service survey has every GM brand above the industry average score -better than Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Ford and Land Rover. "The myth of import superiority is being destroyed. In countless independent consumer surveys, blogs and expert reviews, it is becoming increasingly evident that we build the highest quality vehicles and deliver them with world-class service," LaNeve noted.

Overall incentive spending was flat compared with a year ago. August inventories were down about 34,000 vehicles to approximately 945,000 vehicles.

"August performance shows we're hitting the sweet spot on truck programs, and our award-winning Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickups are making important contributions on the retail side," LaNeve added. "Importantly, these vehicles contributed a 30-percent increase in full-size pickup retail sales, with Sierra kicking in more than 22,500 retail sales in the month. We are also pleased with the ongoing success of the GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave. They are driving our mid-utility crossover segment growth, which is up more than 400 percent compared with a year ago despite short inventories. As with many of our vehicles, these all-new crossovers offer segment-leading fuel economy, terrific performance and outstanding value."

The GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave together had retail sales of more than 10,400 vehicles, pushing the significant retail increase in GM's mid-crossover segment.

GM has 24 vehicles in the 2007 model lineup that achieve an EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway or better.

Warranty coverage has increased substantially as a reason consumers cite when buying a new GM vehicle. GM's 5 Year/100,000 Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty continues to be a better choice for customers. GM's coverage focuses on the complete ownership experience and includes other provisions that competitors do not offer, including transferability to the next owner, more complete coverage of parts, and coverage for new and certified used vehicles. In addition, GM offers superior complementary programs, such as courtesy transportation and roadside assistance. "GM provides the best coverage in the industry and takes care of the vehicle and the owner like no other vehicle manufacturer," LaNeve added.

Certified Used Vehicles

August 2007 sales for all certified GM brands, including GM Certified Used Vehicles, Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, Saturn Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, Saab Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, and HUMMER Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, were 45,195 vehicles, up 1 percent from last August. Total year-to-date certified GM sales are 361,077 vehicles, up 4 percent from the same period last year.

GM Certified Used Vehicles, the industry's top-selling manufacturer-certified used brand, posted 39,905 sales, up 5 percent from last August. Year-to-date sales for GM Certified Used Vehicles are 317,398 vehicles, up 6 percent from the same period in 2006.

Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles posted August sales of 3,162 vehicles, down 12 percent from last August. Saturn Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 1,421 vehicles in August, down 28 percent. Saab Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 598 vehicles, down 36 percent, and HUMMER Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 109 vehicles, up 35 percent.

"GM Certified dealers turned in a strong performance in August with sales of 39,905 vehicles, an increase of nearly 5 percent from last August," said LaNeve. "Our dealer network, the largest in the certified segment, is doing a great job providing customers with the wide selection, quality, value and peace-of-mind assurances they're seeking in a certified used vehicle."

GM North America Reports August 2007 Production; 2007 Third-Quarter Production Forecast is Revised at 1.050 Million Vehicles; 2007 Fourth-Quarter Production Forecast Set at 1 Million Vehicles

In August, GM North America produced 437,000 vehicles (152,000 cars and 285,000 trucks). This is down 28,000 vehicles or 6 percent compared to August 2006 when the region produced 465,000 vehicles (179,000 cars and 286,000 trucks). (Production totals include joint venture production of 21,000 vehicles in August 2007 and 26,000 vehicles in August 2006.)

The region's 2007 third-quarter production forecast is revised at 1.050 million vehicles (377,000 cars and 673,000 trucks), down 25,000 vehicles or 2 percent from last month's guidance. Additionally, GM North America's initial 2007 fourth-quarter production forecast is set at 1 million vehicles (334,000 cars and 666,000 trucks), down 107,000 vehicles or 10 percent from fourth-quarter 2006 actuals. In the fourth-quarter of 2006 the region produced 1.107 million vehicles (446,000 cars and 661,000 trucks).

GM also announced 2007 revised third-quarter and initial fourth-quarter production forecasts for its international regions.

GM Europe - The region's 2007 third-quarter production forecast is unchanged at 395,000 vehicles. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 374,000 vehicles. The region's initial 2007 fourth-quarter production forecast is set at 452,000 vehicles. In the fourth-quarter of 2006 the region built 443,000 vehicles.

GM Asia Pacific -The region's 2007 third-quarter production forecast is revised at 492,000 vehicles, down 26,000 vehicles from last month's guidance. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 433,000 vehicles. The region's initial 2007 fourth-quarter production forecast is set at 631,000 vehicles. In the fourth-quarter of 2006 the region built 509,000 vehicles.

GM Latin America, Africa and the Middle East - The region's 2007 third-quarter production forecast is unchanged at 258,000 vehicles. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 215,000 vehicles. The region's initial 2007 fourth-quarter production forecast is set at 257,000 vehicles. In the fourth-quarter of 2006 the region built 215,000 vehicles.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the annual global industry sales leader for 76 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 280,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2006, nearly 9.1 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Note: GM sales and production results are available on GM Media OnLine at http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en by clicking on News, then Sales/Production. In this press release and related comments by General Motors management, we use words like "expect," "anticipate," "estimate," "forecast," "objective," "plan," "goal" and similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements, representing our current judgment about possible future events. We believe these judgments are reasonable, but actual results may differ materially due to a variety of important factors. Among other items, such factors might include: the pace of introductions and market acceptance of new products; the effect of competition on our markets and significant changes in the competitive environment; price increases or shortages of fuel; and changes in laws, regulations or tax rates. GM's most recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q provide information about these factors, which may be revised or supplemented in future reports to the SEC on Form 10-Q or 8-K.

GM strives to ensure that all of the information contained in a press release is accurate at the time it is issued. However, changes in materials, equipment and specifications, prices, availability, etc do occur over time. For the most up-to-date information on currently available models, please visit GM.com/shop.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...amp;docid=39053

GM looks like it had a good month. Silverado sales are nipping at the heels of F-Series sales (67K vs 69K). Saturn Aura sales also jumped quite a bit over last month...looks like the word is getting out. Some like the Uplander puzzled me though (gotta be incentives giving it a boost). Overall, good to see GM coming back!

I wish Ford would see the same gains. They had another lousy month.

Trailblazer...up?

Could be people looking at Acadia/Outlook and being unable to swing the payments or find one on the lots are looking at the Trailblazers as an alternative. Envoy was up a bit as well. And Buick still moved a few hundred more Rainiers. Wonder if this was why? Edited by toesuf94

Trailblazer is probably fleets. The Lambdas didn't do as well, but I am guessing that is because of the 2-week July shutdown and therefore hardly any supply on the lots. Overall a very good month, though I'm wondering how the Silverado did not outsell the F-Series. Perhaps Ford fleeted a lot of them.

Could be people looking at Acadia/Outlook and being unable to swing the payments or find one on the lots are looking at the Trailblazers as an alternative. Envoy was up a bit as well. And Buick still moved a few hundred more Rainiers. Wonder if this was why?

GM probably fleeted them higher this month to get rid of the backlog of trailblazers. i think ALOT of buyers just waited all summer for the cheap finance rates.

GM looks like it had a good month. Silverado sales are nipping at the heels of F-Series sales (67K vs 69K). Saturn Aura sales also jumped quite a bit over last month...looks like the word is getting out. Some like the Uplander puzzled me though (gotta be incentives giving it a boost). Overall, good to see GM coming back!

I wish Ford would see the same gains. They had another lousy month.

Fleet. Until the Dodge Grand Caravan Cargo comes on stream it is the only entry in the midsize commercial van market, of which there are, let's see, seven or eight brands in Europe. Edited by thegriffon

GM's Winners

Escalade (+1000 over July and 40% over Aug 2006)

SRX (Flat and 7.6%)

Cobalt (+5000 and 7%)

Suburban (Flat and 27%)

Equinox (+5700 and 13.5%)

Express (+4200 and 16%)

HHR (flat and 49.5%)

Trailblazer (-800 but up 6.6%)

Uplander (+2600 and 28.5%)

Silverado (+20,000 and 32%)

G6 (+4200—outselling Malibu in 2007)

Grand Prix (+4000 and 11%—get yours while you still can)

Torrent (+1900 and 41.5%)

Sierra (+7700 and 34%)

Yukon XL (+800 and 12.6%)

H2 (+400)

9³ (flat and 9%)

Aura (+900)

Anything in the press releases about fleet sales?..they've generally crowed about reductions in down months...

I smell fleet sales being tweaked...anyone?

Why's it gotta smell? :AH-HA_wink:

Grand Prix most likely, possible with G6. I doubt it with Trailblazer, though, because rental managers are rejecting midsize SUVs; people either rent the biggest or a van.

I think this is the first time in years that GM has had a sales increase without some kind of fire sale. :scratchchin:

without a illistration of what they dumped into fleets... its hard to tell...

hopefully GM will continue, their sales through the winter they've been praising their increasing retail consumers, so maybe its finnaly cought up with the beginning of the year priors fleet reduction...

so assuming, GM can keep sales flat if not improve, imagine what will happen when GM starts to get the Opel rebadge, G8, CTS, Malibu, hybrid Giants... these should all be poised to hit the market within the next 6 months...

and if consumers have finnally seen the new Silverado and GMC, then we can really assume, their sales will start to boom... at my previous store, 02-04 were major hits for the GMT800... and if consumers are lured in by such vehicles, as mentioned above, then they may buy something that isnt brand new... just because they never took a close enough look... seems to me, GM consumers recently are more pleased with their products then Toyota's consumers are with their respective new product...

"The myth of import superiority is being destroyed. In countless independent consumer surveys, blogs and expert reviews, it is becoming increasingly evident that we build the highest quality vehicles and deliver them with world-class service," LaNeve noted.

NOW THAT'S THE KIND OF CONFIDENCE I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! GM has to SELL itself as the BETTER automaker, and that means informing and blatantly telling the consumer.

Way to go GM!!!!!!!!

GM, the world's biggest automaker, surprised analysts by posting a 6 percent increase in sales, led by a 16.6 percent increase in truck sales. Part of that was due to a 24 percent increase in sales to rental car companies, which GM and other U.S. automakers have been trying to cut back on because they hurt brand image and resale values. Ballew said August was a one-time increase and GM will reduce sales to rental fleets through the rest of the year.

Carter said Toyota sales also were hurt by supply problems. Sales of the subcompact Yaris plunged 31 percent, for example, as Toyota failed to keep up with growing demand for a hatchback version.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/ar...2&Symbol=GM

GM probably fleeted them higher this month to get rid of the backlog of trailblazers. i think ALOT of buyers just waited all summer for the cheap finance rates.

Don't forget an entire plant building Trailblazers has already been closed—I don't think there is that large a backlog, although even the 4Runner has a lot of sales to rental fleets. Despite the decline in the segment (which has affected all the major entries equally) the Trailblazer has more than held its own. Although sales are down for the year overall, it is on track to unseat the Explorer as America's best-selling midsize SUV/crossover, and may yet retain its crown as GM's best-selling SUV as well, if it can maintain its recent advantage over the Tahoe.

GM's fleet sales were up 24% in August. They have been claiming they would reduce those, but I guess they got tired of that. They have to get off the fleet sales, they are still nearly 25% of all sales going to fleets, they need to cut that in half.

these fleet sales i think were the GMT900's... which probably arent the worst to fleet, cause in the industry the GMT800's had the best resale value of all... assuming the GMT900's follow that trend with less fleet... it seems likely, they shouldnt worry about fleeting the silverado... just when half of your impalas are going to rental agency... u got a problem...

Anything in the press releases about fleet sales?..they've generally crowed about reductions in down months...

I smell fleet sales being tweaked...anyone?

Fleet sales may be up - but sales to rental care companies were down 10% compared to the same period last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/04/news/compa...sion=2007090415

"GM said its sales of cars and light trucks, such as SUVs and pickups, rose 6 percent in the month to 385,529 vehicles. Car models saw a nearly 8 percent drop in sales, but that was outweighed by the the 16.5 percent jump in light truck models.

GM said it had the strong sales despite a more than 10 percent drop in less-profitable sales to rental car companies. Sales of its pickup trucks, and its so-called crossover vehicles - more car-like SUVs - helped GM with strong sales to consumers."

Edited by boblutzfan

Okay, I'm confused here. The Sierra/Silverado are each up over 30% over last month. Down a tiny bit over last year but not by much. So why are they cutting production of the trucks?

If sales are up or even almost flat, shouldn't they be maintaining production?

Or am I missing something completely?

Okay, I'm confused here. The Sierra/Silverado are each up over 30% over last month. Down a tiny bit over last year but not by much. So why are they cutting production of the trucks?

If sales are up or even almost flat, shouldn't they be maintaining production?

Or am I missing something completely?

Because you want to sell your new truck without a 7 grand rebate on the hood. Trucks sale is up by most major automaker because of the huge amount of rebate available.

In my area, almost all truck and van sales have gone to GM. I think fleet sales of that nature are great. Ford has pretty much bowed out of the diesel van business (no diesel available in the van). Many new ambulances in my area are now GM. Just the opposite of the way it used to be.

GM's fleet sales were up 24% in August. They have been claiming they would reduce those, but I guess they got tired of that. They have to get off the fleet sales, they are still nearly 25% of all sales going to fleets, they need to cut that in half.

Not all fleet sales are bad. In fact some are very good. If GM learns where and when to sale to flreet, they can do just fine. But if the statement about their rental fleet sales are up by 24%, that is not very good at all.

Not all fleet sales are bad. In fact some are very good. If GM learns where and when to sale to flreet, they can do just fine. But if the statement about their rental fleet sales are up by 24%, that is not very good at all.

this 24 percent was supposidly a one time event... probably government... which are safe fleet sales because they keep them until they need replacement... not just when they start to get old...

the only bad ones are to rental agencies... pretty much everything else is good... and anything corperate is concerned about is a major purchase from one corp to another or government... I.e. bigger then a dealership... like the deal with google and the cobalt likely didn't go directly through the dealership...

my old sales manager used to work with a fleet manager who made 150 car deal with a insurance company who needed vehicles to observe crash sites and look at damage and what not... very lucky sale but took the dealership months to finnish the order... very little profit for the dealer... but it showed volume... but this one example where the company used a dealership... something where the corp is aware of a certain sale to fleet is going to be a much larger safer fleet sale.

this 24 percent was supposidly a one time event... probably government... which are safe fleet sales because they keep them until they need replacement... not just when they start to get old...

the only bad ones are to rental agencies... pretty much everything else is good... and anything corperate is concerned about is a major purchase from one corp to another or government... I.e. bigger then a dealership... like the deal with google and the cobalt likely didn't go directly through the dealership...

my old sales manager used to work with a fleet manager who made 150 car deal with a insurance company who needed vehicles to observe crash sites and look at damage and what not... very lucky sale but took the dealership months to finnish the order... very little profit for the dealer... but it showed volume... but this one example where the company used a dealership... something where the corp is aware of a certain sale to fleet is going to be a much larger safer fleet sale.

But serious money can be made when those vehicles are returned to the dealer. We've pulled off a few high volume sales to the Canadian government, involving Malibus and Corollas (through our Toyota store) and the used car guys can't wait until those vehicles come back in a couple years. (And it should be noted, that these civil servants can driver either a 1.8 equipped Corolla for the same price as the far better equipped Malibu.) Even if the dealer only makes a couple hundred dollars a car, GM still makes their money and then the cars will be re-sold through the dealer down the road.

But serious money can be made when those vehicles are returned to the dealer. We've pulled off a few high volume sales to the Canadian government, involving Malibus and Corollas (through our Toyota store) and the used car guys can't wait until those vehicles come back in a couple years. (And it should be noted, that these civil servants can driver either a 1.8 equipped Corolla for the same price as the far better equipped Malibu.) Even if the dealer only makes a couple hundred dollars a car, GM still makes their money and then the cars will be re-sold through the dealer down the road.

Which is the exact problem for GM....lots of competition for their NEW product come return time.

I can't believe you guys are giving GM a free pass on this one. They've completely done exactly what they said they would no longer do! AS usual, the corporate ADD ruins a sound plan on their behalf, just like the side-by-side-by-side campaign for Aura...

Better product + Same old management CYA = Failure. (Most GM dealers in my region are running at 75% of target sales--that ain't good enough)

Which is the exact problem for GM....lots of competition for their NEW product come return time.

I can't believe you guys are giving GM a free pass on this one. They've completely done exactly what they said they would no longer do! AS usual, the corporate ADD ruins a sound plan on their behalf, just like the side-by-side-by-side campaign for Aura...

Better product + Same old management CYA = Failure. (Most GM dealers in my region are running at 75% of target sales--that ain't good enough)

Enzl, Enzl, Enzl - we have sparred over this before. Please, read. I am speaking about Fleet sales that, legally, GM cannot stop. The dealer can sell the damned vehicles to whomever we please, as you should know. If we sell 50 Malibus to the Canadian government at OUR cost, that is OUR business, not GM's. Fleeting must be different in the U.S., because up here it is done through the dealer and GM makes more money on the fleet deals (no zero percents, no Visa points, etc) than they do on most retail deals. If the fleet customer keep the Malibus for 4 years - how the f$#k does that effect resale?

And you conveniently missed the point that we also fleeted TOYOTAS to the same client. And, for your information, 2007 Malibus and Impalas are rarer than hen's teeth at the auctions these days - around here.

To repeat the aforementioned post: there are 'good' and 'bad' fleet deals. Coca Cola buying 200 Malibus for their sales employees to drive to clients is a GOOD fleet sale. The vehicles will have 60,000 miles on them when they are traded back in two or three years. Rental sales, I suppose, are BAD, but at the end of the day, a sale is a sale.

These constant attacks on Fleet sales are getting tired. Resale values of models, whether poor or not, are effected by a myriad of factors - fleet may be only one of them. Perception has more to do with resale value than anything else. If our Toyota store keeps bashing GM and keeps jacking up the prices of their used Camries, then the 'perception' is that they are a better car and, therefore, a better deal.

I am not guilty of giving GM a free pass on anything. I am up front in my opinions and have no ulterior motives whatsoever. I am a DETROIT fan and have hated Japanese products since I took Japanese trade policies in University. I also 'hate' Chinese products because they are shoddy and because we are wholesaling our future to save a few bucks.

I prefer to look at the Big Picture. I will tell you one thing that I am not: I am not a wolf in sheep's clothing. I do not haunt Toyota Nation to bash Toyota at every turn. I cannot be bothered. Can that be said for certain people around here?

Enzl, Enzl, Enzl - we have sparred over this before. Please, read. I am speaking about Fleet sales that, legally, GM cannot stop. The dealer can sell the damned vehicles to whomever we please, as you should know. If we sell 50 Malibus to the Canadian government at OUR cost, that is OUR business, not GM's. Fleeting must be different in the U.S., because up here it is done through the dealer and GM makes more money on the fleet deals (no zero percents, no Visa points, etc) than they do on most retail deals. If the fleet customer keep the Malibus for 4 years - how the f$#k does that effect resale?

And you conveniently missed the point that we also fleeted TOYOTAS to the same client. And, for your information, 2007 Malibus and Impalas are rarer than hen's teeth at the auctions these days - around here.

To repeat the aforementioned post: there are 'good' and 'bad' fleet deals. Coca Cola buying 200 Malibus for their sales employees to drive to clients is a GOOD fleet sale. The vehicles will have 60,000 miles on them when they are traded back in two or three years. Rental sales, I suppose, are BAD, but at the end of the day, a sale is a sale.

These constant attacks on Fleet sales are getting tired. Resale values of models, whether poor or not, are effected by a myriad of factors - fleet may be only one of them. Perception has more to do with resale value than anything else. If our Toyota store keeps bashing GM and keeps jacking up the prices of their used Camries, then the 'perception' is that they are a better car and, therefore, a better deal.

I am not guilty of giving GM a free pass on anything. I am up front in my opinions and have no ulterior motives whatsoever. I am a DETROIT fan and have hated Japanese products since I took Japanese trade policies in University. I also 'hate' Chinese products because they are shoddy and because we are wholesaling our future to save a few bucks.

I prefer to look at the Big Picture. I will tell you one thing that I am not: I am not a wolf in sheep's clothing. I do not haunt Toyota Nation to bash Toyota at every turn. I cannot be bothered. Can that be said for certain people around here?

US Fleet = Low or nonexistent profit and quick return to market as used...

If cutting these type of 'fleet' sales wasn't important, how come GM has crowed about reducing fleeting in EVERY press release regarding (lower) sales numbers...except, coincidentally, August 2007?

I have no ulterior motives, only the truth, which is, BTW, that GM has again abandoned a decent idea before it could see true results. It's BS, and even if you don't like the messenger, what I'm saying is 100% accurate.

Giving fans the false impression you've turned the corner helps no one. If Detroit drops dead, its because of management negligence, as exemplified by this latest short sighted, hypocritical & misleading move to puff Aug #'s that they knew would be bad.

Don't forget an entire plant building Trailblazers has already been closed—I don't think there is that large a backlog, although even the 4Runner has a lot of sales to rental fleets. Despite the decline in the segment (which has affected all the major entries equally) the Trailblazer has more than held its own. Although sales are down for the year overall, it is on track to unseat the Explorer as America's best-selling midsize SUV/crossover, and may yet retain its crown as GM's best-selling SUV as well, if it can maintain its recent advantage over the Tahoe.

Which means it should be freshened and kept around IMO.

If cutting these type of 'fleet' sales wasn't important, how come GM has crowed about reducing fleeting in EVERY press release regarding (lower) sales numbers...except, coincidentally, August 2007?

It's as much for image as anything else... It's pretty sad when even the media constantly crows about how much your company fleets and about how your products are "fleet" products. IMO this apsect of the business is none of their damn concern.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

if fleet sales are so bad

then why are hyundai and toyota tripping over themselves to sell as many cars to fleets as they can? the hertz by my place is awash in toyotas and hyundais and have you looked at used car listings these days? A popular used broker/dealer in town here which normally stock on average of 150 cars or so, 3 years ago sold no hyundais and now they have like 20+ including about 15 06/07 sonatas..........

if fleet sales are so bad

then why are hyundai and toyota tripping over themselves to sell as many cars to fleets as they can? the hertz by my place is awash in toyotas and hyundais and have you looked at used car listings these days? A popular used broker/dealer in town here which normally stock on average of 150 cars or so, 3 years ago sold no hyundais and now they have like 20+ including about 15 06/07 sonatas..........

If they were a great idea, why would Ford & GM crow about reducing said sales, every month that their #'s dropped?

Hyundai is tripping, clearly, but Toyota is still below 10%fleet mix of total sales...when GM gets to 10%, pigs will fly, my friend!

If they were a great idea, why would Ford & GM crow about reducing said sales, every month that their #'s dropped?

Hyundai is tripping, clearly, but Toyota is still below 10%fleet mix of total sales...when GM gets to 10%, pigs will fly, my friend!

TOO SHUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU UP? Just throwing that out there, is all.

The trouble is that so-called enthusiasts don't get out of their BMWs and Hondas long enough to realize that many, many people end up driving a RENTAL when their 14 year old beater dies on the side of the road, and that that RENTAL could persuade that person to consider that particular vehicle they are driving. I just sold a Cobalt to a woman whose 13 year old Buick suddenly died. She was renting a G5 for a week. Yes, compared to a BMW, the G5 is a piece of crap, but this woman is a teacher and doesn't want to blow $500 on leasing a status car. She loved the G5, so bought a Cobalt. If she had rented an Excel, and it hadn't stalled or fallen apart on her, she may have been inclined to buy one of those.

Not every single person out there counts how many Discount stickers go by. There was a time when every single taxi in Toronto was an Impala or Century. That was an example of bad 'fleet' sales because even the layperson could see those cars everywhere. Now, the taxi market here is a more even mix of Impalas, Taurases, some Camries and others.

It's pretty easy to explain away why fleet sales (to rental companies only) MAY be a bad thing: when GM's market share was holding steady at 35-40%, having 100k Luminas out there to rental companies was a way of keeping the used car market going. Now, with GM's market share sliding, those 100k Malibus are a greater proportion. Toyota, on the other hand, has a slowly expanding market share and the demand for its used cars is going to be higher, partly because their new cars are so damned expensive and partly because 2 or 3 year old used Toyotas are rarer than 2 or 3 year old used Chevys. Plain simple supply and demand. Nothing evil about it.

But as long as every single newspaper, magazine and self-appointed expert internet site continues to crow that GM and Ford's sales to fleet are the source of all Evil in the Universe, sheeple will continue to believe that and buy Toyota because they were told to.

so if toyota is dumping 50,000 camlees on the market..........that has no negative?

bull$h!. all those camrees at the auctions, same deal. 50,000 grand prixs or 50,000 cahmrhees. same deal.

i bet there are more rental return sonatas on the market right now for sale than there are new ones.

but that's ok?

But try trading a BMW or a Mercedes in after 2 or 3 years and see if you aren't 'upside down.' The only difference may be that the MB buyer would not put zero down. The culprit with being upside down is our addiction to 'cheap' money.