Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Corvette 'Blue Devil' to be designated 'ZR1'

Flybrian

:AH-HA_wink: PSSSSSSST! Before we get to the good stuff, allow us to welcome you to our new subforum dedicated solely to America's sports car. In Zora's Corvette Hub, you'll find the latest developments on future models like the hi-po ZR1 info below as well as current and past 'Vette discussion. As with the Camaro Center and Volt-ometer, we recognize that these groundbreaking cars are especially important to our readers and will strive to bring you the best coverage no matter what aspect of General Motors you take an interest in. Now, onto the show!

Corvette Blue Devil (finally) gets a name - ZR1

Posted Image

Posted Today 02:31 PM by Todd Lassa | Link to Original Article @ Motor Trend

Chevrolet's 650-horsepower Corvette, developed under the codename "Blue Devil," will be called ZR1. That badge will appear on the January 2008 Detroit show car, and on the production version set to go on sale later next year as a 2009 model. GM has been developing this car for several years, using a supercharged version of the new 6.2-liter small block V-8 used in the 2008 Corvette(pictured). GM also considered such names as Z07 and Super Sport for the ultra-low-volume car. Price will be much higher than the 505-horsepower Z06, and Chevy will continue production of that car when the ZR1 launches.

---------------

Chevy first used the ZR1 moniker for a reported eight cars built in the 1971 model year with a 370-horsepower, 350-cubic-inch (5.7-liter) small block V-8. The option cost $1,010, while a 425-horse 454 was $1,221. The '71 ZR1 came with no special bodywork or badging. Chevy revived the name in 1990 for a 32-valve Lotus-designed, Mercury Marine-built 375-horsepower quad-cam V-8. That car had a wider tail to accommodate P315/35ZR17 Goodyears on 11-inch wide wheels and was built through the '95 model year. Badges included a hyphen, as in ZR-1, which doesn't fit GM RPO nomenclature.

GM has never confirmed nor denied rumors that "ZR" stands for "Zora's Racer."

The blown 6.2 also looks like the engine that will power the next Cadillac CTS-v, rather than something based off of GM's new high-feature overhead cam V-8 debuting in '09.

The blown 6.2 also looks like the engine that will power the next Cadillac CTS-v, rather than something based off of GM's new high-feature overhead cam V-8 debuting in '09.

Not correct. The motor in the super vette will not be the same as the one in the CTSv. However the CTSv will get a different blown, 6.2L V8.

Un-intercooled is my guess, and has been for awhile...

Nah... Why would they not put an intercooler on a $60+k vehicle? It just has less boost.

I'm not so sure about the name, especially coming from MT. As NOS said we definitely need a backup source.

BTW, if you want to know the production date, go HERE :AH-HA_wink: No one seemed to believe it too much when I started that thread, but you'll see.

I am just glad most people have forgotten about the last ZR1. It started off good but really did not end well.

I do know Chevy was glad many forgot about it when they wanted to boost HP on the regular cheaper Vette.

My boss has one today and they are very good buys if they are in good condition. Just don't go looking for parts cheap.

I wouldn't mind seeing it as ZR1... Hold the hyphen GM, those were never in style.

I still think my idea of calling all the hot coupes at Chevrolet by "Z" codes should be implemented. We'll already have Z06 and ZR1, then Camaro will bring back Z28 (Hopefully as the top option---but this has been up in the air again recently) then when GM develops a SERIOUS performance coupe for the Cobalt line when Delta II arrives it could carry a Z name as well.

*I'm not disrespecting the current SC/SS or forthcoming Turbo SS. But IMO, for it to be worthy of the new Z designation it should pretty much be a rally car that can rival the Rex and Lancer. (a.k.a. A "track" car just like Z06, ZR1 and Z28 will be)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I wouldn't mind seeing it as ZR1... Hold the hyphen GM, those were never in style.

I still think my idea of calling all the hot coupes at Chevrolet by "Z" codes should be implemented. We'll already have Z06 and ZR1, then Camaro will bring back Z28 (Hopefully as the top option---but this has been up in the air again recently) then when GM develops a SERIOUS performance coupe for the Cobalt line when Delta II arrives it could carry a Z name as well.

*I'm not disrespecting the current SC/SS or forthcoming Turbo SS. But IMO, for it to be worthy of the new Z designation it should pretty much be a rally car that can rival the Rex and Lancer. (a.k.a. A "track" car just like Z06, ZR1 and Z28 will be)

oh i really like this idea. you get a gold star!

does anyone have pics of the ZR1 badge(s), from the past, that they can post?

I thought it was going to be StingRay. :(

Maybe that means the Stingray name will go on a Kappa. :)

dont forget the Z51 option on the regular vette, it makes it quite a tasty treat for the money. as far as the old ZR-1s go only 448 were made in '95 so those are starting to get collectible status. It wasnt all that bad, they just cost way too much. think about it. last year you could get a Z06 for 65 grand... in 95 a zr1 was 63 base. it was just way too much money for the car back then. the option itself slapped 35 grand on the bottom line. i think that even if this vette breaks the 110 mark it'll still be a bargain as far as whats gone into the machine. the price translates well from 1995 to 2009 in my mind.

Edited by cletus8269

ZR1 is cool. Just out of curiousity, I wonder if the LS9 is a high-revver like the previous two engines sold in ZR1s

The 2010 1/2 Z28 will be the top 550 HP Camaro Shelby fighter car. The SS will just be the 430 HP performance model.

The Z name looks to be a trend for limited edition performance.

ZR1 is a good name choice. I am glad they went with that, using SS badging would have looked tacky. ZR1 is more legendary too.

I don't know, Chevy had that ultralight ZR-1 prototype that they called SS, but instead of Super Sport it stood for Snake Skinner, with Dodge waving their 600 hp Vipers in everyones face I could'nt think of a more appropriate name, even ZR-1 SS would fit in this case.

Oh and the ZR1 (or ZR-1) name plate is no way more legendary than the SS (or Super Sport) name plate, just because only 2 Corvette's (from GM) ever were known as SS'es (the afformentioned Snake Skinner and the 1957 Corvette SS race cars [of which only 2 and the mule {which became the Sting Ray racecar} were made]) you can't rule out the Camaro's, Chevelle's, Impala's, Nova's, etc., etc., that contributed to the SS legacy.

Edited by Fletch Radford