FRANKFURT: 2008 Mazda6

FRANKFURT: 2008 Mazda6
Posted Image
Link to Original Article and More Photos @ Autoblog

Frankfurt's IAA is just days away, and as the eventual deadline approaches, more and more info on new models are being leaked despite the best attempts of automakers to prevent it. This time 'round it's the new Mazda6, a mid-sized sedan set to go head-to-head with the new Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, among others. Let us be the first to say that compared to its aforementioned rivals, the new Mazda6 is miles ahead of the competition in terms of style and would even give some of the premium makes a run for their money.

Some of the new features we can expect for the car include luxury items such as xenon headlights, LED detailing, heated seats and an engine starter button. If Mazda can maintain a similar price tag as the current model, the new 6 will turn out to be a sure-fire winner in the hotly contested mid-sized sedan market.

The specifications are for European models, but the only major addition for U.S.-spec cars will be the option of a 3.5L V6 in addition to the base four-cylinder. The only official details we have so far is that the new car will weigh less than the outgoing model and will use less fuel and emit fewer CO2 emissions to boot. We'll bring you all the official details of the new Mazda6 when arrive in Frankfurt next week.

Image Gallery
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Very well done. especially the hatch and wagon. which i suppose will not be in the US.

the rear quarter of the hatch is breathtaking. and not in a seinfeld sort of way.

That's really funny as I would have pointed to that 1/4 as the homliest part of that design and the hatch as the homliest variant.

Oh well, different strokes...

Man, that silver hatchback is DAMN good looking to me. That should sell well for Mazda. Is this from the same stylist who designed Pontiac's Solstice and then jumped ship to Mazda? It did remind me a little of a Lexus when I first saw the images, but I still love the silver five door hatchback. It's too bad I won't consider anymore foreign cars in my garage.

to me, the interior is the weakest link. like other mazda's its a femmy interior and its also too similar to the current 6. the mazda3 has a totally awesome interior so this is puzzling to me.

Or... perhaps you're just blind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, now. It looks like a modern, upscale 3 interior more than anything. Fem? :lol:

Could someone please inform me why the interior is so amazing? I'm not seeing much that's any better than other offerings.

It looks like it's straight out of 2000 other than the ambient lighting, which is cool.

I don't believe anyone said it was amazing. The 6's isn't the most unique interior in its class by any means, but everything looks right, not forced, and certainly upscale. I can't say that about most other midsizers' interiors, including the Malibu. Take away its unique color schemes and its nothing more than semi-curvy dash with a cheapie center stack and lack of details. Oooh, its soooo special! :P

no, it's girlie girl. soft shades and hues, soft shapes. not appealing. ok, just looks very asian / chick carrish on the inside. door panels look cheap, cheaper than the new BU's. overall has a bit too plasticky / dated look.

its nicer than a camry interior. maybe a draw with the accord. altima is nicer inside i think. I prefer the aura interior.

the honda TSX and VW jetta have nicer interiors.

G8's interior blows this away.

Edited by regfootball

no, it's girlie girl. soft shades and hues, soft shapes. not appealing. ok, just looks very asian / chick carrish on the inside. door panels look cheap, cheaper than the new BU's. overall has a bit too plasticky / dated look.

its nicer than a camry interior. maybe a draw with the accord. altima is nicer inside i think. I prefer the aura interior.

the honda TSX and VW jetta have nicer interiors.

G8's interior blows this away.

:rotflmao: @ the bolded part.

The G8's is good but design wise it's not any better, I'd say about on par...materials I have no idea.

:rotflmao: @ the bolded part.

The G8's is good but design wise it's not any better, I'd say about on par...materials I have no idea.

aura's interior is nice and not soft looking. all the middle class midsizers all kind of are starting to look the same

exception, avenger/sebring and their horrific plastics.

Edited by regfootball

door panels look cheap, cheaper than the new BU's. overall has a bit too plasticky / dated look.

On that......

:alcoholic:

This is the second car in recent weeks (Accord being first) that shows GM still doesn't know how to design an interior (Malibu and AURA) in a mainstream product that has a quality look AND feel to it.....

On that......

:alcoholic:

This is the second car in recent weeks (Accord being first) that shows GM still doesn't know how to design an interior (Malibu and AURA) in a mainstream product that has a quality look AND feel to it.....

because you've sat in both.

the current mazda 6 interior is nothing to write home about. in light gray, its dreadful and incites vomiting. the new one doesn't look 4 steps up in comparison.

Edited by regfootball

because you've sat in both.

the current mazda 6 interior is nothing to write home about. in light gray, its dreadful and incites vomiting. the new one doesn't look 4 steps up in comparison.

Light gray is the worst of all possible interior colors...makes cheap interiors look cheaper.

I don't believe anyone said it was amazing. The 6's isn't the most unique interior in its class by any means, but everything looks right, not forced, and certainly upscale. I can't say that about most other midsizers' interiors, including the Malibu. Take away its unique color schemes and its nothing more than semi-curvy dash with a cheapie center stack and lack of details. Oooh, its soooo special! :P

I don't see what's so upscale about it. Take away the NAV and it's really rather boring looking.

Seriously, Mazda has no idea how to photograph cars because if that interior is high-quality and dynamic, these photos sure don't capture its glory.

Yeah, but they managed to make the 3 stereo not look like the cheap piece of crap it is. It looks like it has a baby-grand gloss to it in those pictures. (Unless they upgraded it since the last time I had the unfortunate experience of being disappointed by it.)

Interior looks to be the usual Mazda so-so. The exterior looks excellent.

I hope GM has learnt a lesson here. Pre-announcing product is a nice little trick in that you get to compare your future product to competitors' existing product. And while the effect is even more exaggerated if much of that existing product is so old it will be replaced BEFORE your future product is available, you look all the more foolish if the competitors' replacement product bests your future product... especially if your competitors beat you to market.

You also have the affect of hurting the sales of your not yet replaced model. Although, that probably wasn't much of an issue for current Bu buyers as they likely aren't the most informed buyers.

Completely different target than the Malibu, Camry, Accord and Altima—large family sedans. The closest competition for the Mazda6 will be the new Opel (whatever they call it) and the Accord Euro. The Opel in particular will make the Passat Coupe seem silly (same style—not a hardtop—but much more money). This driver-oriented fwd sedan market is where the G6 doesn't quite measure up, and something GM will hopefully address with the next gen, whether they go fwd or rwd.

Slick..I like the RX-8 homage in the front fenders...and esp. the hatchback. (The hatch is my favourite body style of the current model). It's too bad the domestics don't do midsize 5dr hatchbacks...the G6 and Aura would look great in 5dr hatch form, IMHO..

Here's what I predict: import fans will make a big hub-bub about how everything about it is class-leading and how it'll be a breakthrough product for Mazda.

In reality, it looks okay on the outside and drab on the inside (how many layers of center stack do we need?) and will change nothing about the current mid-size landscape. The Camry will continue to sell 10x the amount. The new Accord will also be 9-10x. The Altima, Fusion, and Sonata are hardly quivering. The Malibu, G6, and AURA will all continue to outsell it (without fleet). The only brands that need to look over their shoulders are KIA and Mercury (in sales terms, not market). Consumers will continue to largely ignore this thing, despite its zoom-zoominess.

Here's what I predict: import fans will make a big hub-bub about how everything about it is class-leading and how it'll be a breakthrough product for Mazda.

In reality, it looks okay on the outside and drab on the inside (how many layers of center stack do we need?) and will change nothing about the current mid-size landscape. The Camry will continue to sell 10x the amount. The new Accord will also be 9-10x. The Altima, Fusion, and Sonata are hardly quivering. The Malibu, G6, and AURA will all continue to outsell it (without fleet). The only brands that need to look over their shoulders are KIA and Mercury (in sales terms, not market). Consumers will continue to largely ignore this thing, despite its zoom-zoominess.

The Fusion relies on the 6 for its underpinnings, the current /malibu and G6 are fleet whores, and the 6 didn't set the sales charts on fire because it wasn't "big enough" for our fat asses :P

The Fusion relies on the 6 for its underpinnings, the current /malibu and G6 are fleet whores, and the 6 didn't set the sales charts on fire because it wasn't "big enough" for our fat asses :P

- Yet, the Fusion is making out okay

- Even by retail sales, the Malibu and G6 kill the 6 (old Mazda6 fleet % = ~40%)

- Yet, the Mazda3 is even smaller and sells just fine

- Yet, the Fusion is making out okay

- Even by retail sales, the Malibu and G6 kill the 6 (old Mazda6 fleet % = ~40%)

- Yet, the Mazda3 is even smaller and sells just fine

Relatively speaking no it isn't...it fits in fine with the class but the 6 is small for the segment.

Once more, the Fusion would not exist without the Mazda6 platform, we'd be stuck with the old Taurus for another 5 years.

Relatively speaking no it isn't...it fits in fine with the class but the 6 is small for the segment.

Once more, the Fusion would not exist without the Mazda6 platform, we'd be stuck with the old Taurus for another 5 years.

Not if the dumb asses at Ford US would just import the D*MN Mondeo from Europe.

Good. The fewer people driving the same vehicle as me the better.

I will start out by saying that I am a big Mazda fan. I own a Mazda3s sedan and it has been a well built, reliable vehicle for the 3 years that I have owned it. It's fun to drive and has great exterior/interior fit, finish, and styling.

I love this redesign. The original Mazda6 was attractive, but it was starting to look dated in the marketplace. I think the upcoming car's exterior fits in with Mazda's current lineup much better than the existing model. The only design element that makes me flinch is the slab of black plastic behind the rear window on the sedan. Although it is much better incorporated into the design here than on the Chrysler Sebring sedan, I still hate it. The hatchback has a small window in this area, why not do the same on the sedan. I also think that the interior is a continuation of the Mazda3's interior; I see a lot of similarities although in a slightly updated form. I hope this generation is just as successful for Mazda as the existing generation has been.

A couple of possible bummers:

1) I've seen information at other websites that states that the U.S. version of the car will be different than the one introduced at Frankfurt. I cannot determine if that means different powertrain choices or different styling. If the difference is in powertrains, I am not that concerned. If the difference is in styling, then I'm not a happy camper. I like the slick, svelte, athletic appearance of this car; it stands out in the midsize segment. I don't want a Camry or Accord wannabe; if that was the case, I would buy a Camry or Accord.

2) We may only see the sedan configuration of this generation in the U.S. I like the wagon as much as the sedan (and many of you seem to appreciate the hatchback version). I find it disappointing that Mazda might limit our choices over here. I think in a gas conscious society, Mazda needs to give the wagon and hatchback another chance. Some people like the extra car-like utility that a hatchback or wagon offer without the additional height and weight of a crossover. Also, having three configurations of this car makes Mazda unique (actually, a coupe version would be pretty cool also).