Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
!!!TED!!!

FRANKFURT: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Concept

8 posts in this topic

FRANKFURT: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
FRANKFURT PREVIEW FOR NEW CHEVROLET MALIBU CONCEPT
Posted Image

COLOGNE, Germany, September 8, 2007 – GM is releasing the first details of its new Chevrolet Malibu Concept at the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show. The Malibu will be previewed alongside the new HydroGen4 small car and other exciting new products yet to be revealed on the show's first press day, September 11th.

Volt sets the pace
The Chevrolet Volt concept car stole the show at this years North American Auto Show in January. It showed that GM is commited to alternative propulsion vechicles. Based on the overwhelming positive response that concept and its E-Flex technology recieved, GM will showcase a Malibu Concept in Germany that hints at production possibilities.

Based on the new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu also introduced in Detroit, the Malibu Concept features new front and rear facias, wheels, door panels, lighting and a host of inovations.

The Chevrolet Malibu Concept sedan is powered by the E-flex System - GM's next-generation electric propulsion system - and sports an aggressive, athletic design directly inspired by the Volt.

The Malibu Concept can be fully charged by plugging it into a 220-volt (110-volt in North America) outlet for approximately five hours a day. When the lithium-ion battery is fully charged, the Malibu can deliver more than 80 city kilometers of pure electric vehicle range. When the battery is depleted, a 1.0-liter, three-cylinder turbocharged engine spins at a constant speed, or revolutions per minute (rpm), to create electricity and replenish the battery.

Commitment to Hydrogen
As a member in the Clean Energy Partnership (CEP) in Berlin, General Motors will take part in the second phase of the hydrogen vehicle demonstration program in 2008 with a total of ten HydroGen4 cars.

The fourth generation of GM fuel cell vehicles will have to prove itself in everyday traffic on a daily basis, just like the predecessor HydroGen3, which has been operating as a customer service vehicle in Berlin since June 2005 in cooperation with the Swedish furniture chain Ikea.

In a joint position paper in September 2006, leading automobile and energy firms agreed on a three-stage plan toward establishing a hydrogen infrastructure and on the
commercialization of hydrogen vehicles:
[*]Phase One (until 2010): technology development and cost reduction [*]Phase Two (from 2010 until around 2015): pre-competitive enhancement of the technology and preparation of market launch [*]Phase Three (from around 2015): Commercialization

The companies involved with the position paper consider it necessary to bring together the hydrogen vehicles available in Europe into one pilot region in the coming years. Only then can the required knowledge about the interaction between vehicles and infrastructure be gathered and implemented in an effective manner. Berlin was chosen as the site for this first European "Lighthouse" demonstration project for passenger cars and city buses as the city meets the special technical, legal and political conditions.

[source: GM]

Volt taillights?

Yeah, Volt tailights. I was bored...

Hmm... That greenhouse reminds me of early 90's/late 80's Chevies... like the Beretta and the Lumina. Not necessarily a good thing in my eyes. The rear is an improvement, though, and I like the idea you had.

The tails look decent... on the Volt. Here, they don't look quite right. My first instinct was to fill in the gap in the trunk-mounted section, but then it'd look like a mid-90's Camry. Not sure I have any suggestions for a fix, but that is one area that stands out.

Ok, the lower body-window thing. It's polarizing on the Volt, and here I think it makes the windows look too tall. What if GM experimented with colored see-through panels. Much like 2-way mirrors that acts as a window on one side, and a mirror on the other, make it look like body (not mirror-like) on the outside, but let you see through it on the inside. Supports both looks and function. Plus it's one more unique feature to make a GM product stand out.

Ted's had a thing against them new 'bu taillamps. I do like how the Volts integrate though. Nice work.

There are quite a few styling cues on the Volt that I'd like to see on the new Impala. The front end, with its fine mesh grille and square headlamps, looks luxurious, appropriate for Chevy's senior sedan. I like Ted's visual lowering of the beltline, like the Volt, only with black paint instead of expensive, complicated glass, but is it too gimmicky? Also, the high-set, rectangular taillamps, in a cluster of three per side, would look good on a production Impala, set in a blackout trim panel.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0