FRANKFURT: 2008 SAAB 9-3 Turbo X

Flybrian

GM @ Frankfurt
2008 SAAB 9-3 Turbo X
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Trollhattansaab

The Saab Turbo X is a special, limited edition release to mark the debut of Saab’s new XWD system. Sourced from Haldex, this latest generation system is capable of splitting power between front and rear wheels, as well as from side to side at the rear thanks to a new electronic limited slip differential (eLSD).

The system allows for extraordinary roadholding. Saab’s own testing on a slalom course during development showed the system outpacing German and Japanese competition, including a special test against the Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Saab Turbo X will feature an uprated version of the 2.8 litre V6 engine producing 280hp and 400Nm of torque and will do the 0-100 sprint in 5.7 seconds. All models produced are believe to be manual transmission only.

The Saab Turbo X will feature a unique black paint finish, special edition 19″ wheels (18″ for North America) and unique interior trim as seen in the shot above. There’s also new body treatment front and rear with a deeper front bumper, new rear deck spoiler and new dual exhaust tailpipe treatment.

The model will be limited to 2,000 units world-wide and these will include both Sport Sedans and SportCombis. The Saab Turbo X is expected to be available for sale early in 2008.

Posted ImagePosted Image

To not be everyone.

Or a G35 or IS350 or C350 or TL-S or CTS then.

Don't get me wrong... I like the 9-3, especially the SportCombi, especially at $28K. I just can't imagine spending the $40Ks on something so dated and technically inferior, even if it's full of character and whatnot.

Or a G35 or IS350 or C350 or TL-S or CTS then.

Ugh. Not even the G35. The new one may actually be worth the fervor and asking price, but it still resembles the old one too closely, and the old G was so totally a Nissan it was sad. Hood prop? Puleeze.

I like it but too bad the car will be $50,000, a current 9-3 Aero is $40,000 with all the options. I wonder if the front end gets a different treatment as well? 280hp is going to be nothing in the near future for these cars mark my words :AH-HA_wink: Edited by RJB

I like it, except for the wheels, the spoiler, the exhausts, and the bumpers. I'm just having trouble understanding why anyone would buy it over a 335i.

Agreed, the 335i is pretty good. This looks like they gave the 9-3 a dose of Pontiac, big exhaust tips, spoiler, some ground effects, add 30 hp (still 25 short of the competition) and call it a performance car. They need to sell or close Saab, give every dime of theirs to Cadillac.

I really like the wheels for being old style SAAB unique. But please get rid of the tacky boy racer rear fascia and the horrid looking exhaust pipes. Whats wrong with good old unpolished stainless steel? Put on some large pipes like on the old 944 Turbos.

I am still not a fan of a all wheel drive SAAB. Keep it to a 4cyl. to help lower the weight and cost. Other than die hard Subaru and Audi fans, do most buyers give a $h! about all wheel drive. Sure a lot of people responding will say, "yay all wheel drive", but I am talking about people like myself who are SAAB owners "and" are we willing to spend the extra money and actually purchase these all wheel drive SAAB's?

I like the idea of a higher powered SAAB, give it some unique wheels, but don't give it the look like some piece of glorified $h! you would see on the Speed Channel or MTV.

Let the posuers purchase their M's,V's,R's and AMG's. The SAAB owner does not need a penis extender.

Why would some one buy it over the competition?

Did you read this, "The system allows for extraordinary roadholding. Saab’s own testing on a slalom course during development showed the system outpacing German and Japanese competition, including a special test against the Porsche 911 Turbo."

Plus the fact it is limited production to 2000 units world wide and it is a Saab so it is not a me to car like a BMW.

I really like the wheels for being old style SAAB unique. But please get rid of the tacky boy racer rear fascia and the horrid looking exhaust pipes. Whats wrong with good old unpolished stainless steel? Put on some large pipes like on the old 944 Turbos.

I am still not a fan of a all wheel drive SAAB. Keep it to a 4cyl. to help lower the weight and cost. Other than die hard Subaru and Audi fans, do most buyers give a $h! about all wheel drive. Sure a lot of people responding will say, "yay all wheel drive", but I am talking about people like myself who are SAAB owners "and" are we willing to spend the extra money and actually purchase these all wheel drive SAAB's?

I like the idea of a higher powered SAAB, give it some unique wheels, but don't give it the look like some piece of glorified $h! you would see on the Speed Channel or MTV.

Let the posuers purchase their M's,V's,R's and AMG's. The SAAB owner does not need a penis extender.

The wheels are the one thing i don't care for.

AWD < FWD because at with that kind of power you will get torque steer with FWD. An advanced AWD system enhances handling. If you want FWD just don't get the XWD models

I don't see how exhaust pipes that are shaped to the contours of the car, a small spoiler and the subtle rocker panels qualify it as rice or a "glorified piece of &#036;h&#33;"

How much is this supposed to cost, because a 335 is going to cost u about 55k with options and all the stuff the dealer tacks on.

A 335xi with sport package, cold weather package, keyless access ($500), premium package, automatic ($1375), satellite radio and rear parking sensors is $48,700. Take off $2000 if you don't need all wheel drive. The 2 items in parenthasis Saab doesn't have. It is pricey, but not $55,000, plus it's 0-60 time is the same as an Aston Martin DB9.

Or compare this car to a CTS, the CTS has a far better interior for the same money. The CTS probably handles better than the Saab too, despite being bigger and heavier, because Sigma is a far better platform than Epsilon. No car with a transversely mounted engine handles great, they may be good, but never class leading.

Edited by smk4565

A 335xi with sport package, cold weather package, keyless access ($500), premium package, automatic ($1375), satellite radio and rear parking sensors is $48,700. Take off $2000 if you don't need all wheel drive. The 2 items in parenthasis Saab doesn't have. It is pricey, but not $55,000, plus it's 0-60 time is the same as an Aston Martin DB9.

Or compare this car to a CTS, the CTS has a far better interior for the same money. The CTS probably handles better than the Saab too, despite being bigger and heavier, because Sigma is a far better platform than Epsilon. No car with a transversely mounted engine handles great, they may be good, but never class leading.

Exactly. The only positive for the Saab over the 335i is that it's a GM. I'm sure the BMW still handles and drives better too.

This would be Darth Vader's car when he was staying at his Scandanavian lair. I really like the black outline on the taillamps, and I love the wheels. They are a huge step up from the other wheel choices on the new 9-3. I agree with the post above, this would be one fun car in the snow. Cross wheel drive and 280 hp? That just begs for drifting (in the safety of a light polless parking lot. :thumbsup: Saab.

• 1 month later...