FIRST GLIMPSE! 2009 Chevrolet Traverse

Flybrian

The point of the Traverse is to expand on the successful Lambda architecture. Whether or not it adds sales to GM or steals sales from Acadia and Outlook has yet to be determined. I am skeptical myself about the Traverse. It would have to start about $25K base and not go too far into the $30K range to make it viable within GM, just my :twocents:

visit reality often? :rolleyes:

Look, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I've owned several Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and even a Cadillac once -- but just look at the GM domestic sales numbers, and the bulk of them come from Chevrolet and Cadillac. I think it's fine for Buick to have the Lucerne and Enclave, and perhaps one other mid-size car (the Lacrosse doesn't seem to be doing all that well, however); and Pontiac seems primed for a nice run with the G8, and the existing G6, but let's face facts: Chevy and Caddy basically are what is carrying GM now, and, as the owner of 3 Chevy cars right now ('06 Impala SS, '05 Tahoe LT, and my son's '03 Blazer), I'm fine with that.

As far as all these comments that the new Chevy Lambda should be a minivan with sliding doors, all I can say is that GM has never been much of a factor in the minivan business, and the Uplander is not only ugly, but poorly named, and I say that as a total Chevy guy. Chevy and GM should put their resources into this new Traverse (God, I hope they come up with a better name), and a revised Equinox to compete with the Ford triplets in the small SUV market (Escape, Mariner, Tribute).

It's my opinion that the small and mid-size SUV and crossover market is where the sales will be, going forward.

My source says... The front-end is pretty much spot-on.

EXACTLY.

Say what you will about Vince Burlapp and this chop, but if you've seen the spy pics, you know it IS pretty much spot on--with the only question still being the exact layout of the rearmost side window and pillar. Otherwise, it's an exact match.

Check out this link, where the original spy pics were posted, now with a story about the Vince picture:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/chevy/2009-chevy-...erse-298055.php

I say it's a match...we just have to see the rear corners uncovered for real, and the interior.

How would you feel about 5....

This comment made a few lights go off in my head, so I thought I'd share...

• Assuming Saab does get a version, the current Lambdas seem rather large for what them
  • If #1 makes sense, then maybe there will be a SWB version
  • That being the case... I could see the OUTLOOK going smaller, joined by the smaller Saab version
  • Then Chevy could get a LWB Lambda that Saturn gave up
Otherwise... I hope there aren't 5 of the same sized crossovers spread across GM

Look, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I've owned several Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and even a Cadillac once -- but just look at the GM domestic sales numbers, and the bulk of them come from Chevrolet and Cadillac. I think it's fine for Buick to have the Lucerne and Enclave, and perhaps one other mid-size car (the Lacrosse doesn't seem to be doing all that well, however); and Pontiac seems primed for a nice run with the G8, and the existing G6, but let's face facts: Chevy and Caddy basically are what is carrying GM now, and, as the owner of 3 Chevy cars right now ('06 Impala SS, '05 Tahoe LT, and my son's '03 Blazer), I'm fine with that.

As far as all these comments that the new Chevy Lambda should be a minivan with sliding doors, all I can say is that GM has never been much of a factor in the minivan business, and the Uplander is not only ugly, but poorly named, and I say that as a total Chevy guy. Chevy and GM should put their resources into this new Traverse (God, I hope they come up with a better name), and a revised Equinox to compete with the Ford triplets in the small SUV market (Escape, Mariner, Tribute).

It's my opinion that the small and mid-size SUV and crossover market is where the sales will be, going forward.

Hey bud, you're opinion is valid here. You're not offending anyone. Some of us just get huffy when our ideals are challenged.

I think your point is well taken, however, I disagree. Chevy is a core brand, and Cadillac is a core luxury brand. The brands in the middle are pretty much specialty (or becoming that way) and will not have higher sales than the core or luxury brand. No car company can have more than one or two core brands. Pontiac will never exceed sales of Chevrolet, and neither will Buick or GMC. It's just not going to happen. Brands like Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Hummer, and Saab have a purpose because they reach people outside the typical (Chevy) and luxury (Cadillac buyer). If you don't like Chevy for whatever reason or Cadillac for whatever reason. If they don't quite fit, then you have alternatives from Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, GMC, Saturn and Saab that offer something completely different.

Edited by K.C.

I don't see the point in four versions. Isn't this what they did with the last generation vans, and failed?

The last generation vans did not fail because there were too many of them; they failed because they were lousy minivans; too narrow, terrible styling, especially in the last few years when they tried to make them look like SUV's with those truck-like front ends. Bad styling, bad model names (Uplander? Terraza?), poorly marketed. GM has done many things well over the years, but minivans have never been one of them. From the dustbusters of the early 90's and the Venture and Uplander, GM and Chevrolet have just never done minivans very well. They are never going to make much of an impact in that market, with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler and Kia owning the bulk of it, so it's time to move on to something that GM does well, and that's the SUV, and now, with the Lambdas, the intermediate sized crossovers.

The last generation vans did not fail because there were too many of them; they failed because they were lousy minivans; too narrow, terrible styling, especially in the last few years when they tried to make them look like SUV's with those truck-like front ends. Bad styling, bad model names (Uplander? Terraza?), poorly marketed. GM has done many things well over the years, but minivans have never been one of them. From the dustbusters of the early 90's and the Venture and Uplander, GM and Chevrolet have just never done minivans very well. They are never going to make much of an impact in that market, with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler and Kia owning the bulk of it, so it's time to move on to something that GM does well, and that's the SUV, and now, with the Lambdas, the intermediate sized crossovers.

AMEN! They were sticker-engineered, but the real issue was just they were the worst vans on the market, with terrible build quality and problems galore (at least pre '05), and even after the refresh, seemed more refined and put together better, but still had all the space issues, looked goofy, and still had problems.

With the Lambdas, right now they can't seem to make enough of a group--and there's strong people in each camp who ONLY like one, and not the other two, kind of like one, love one, and hate the other, etc. The core vehicle itself is just so darned capable and perfect (well, nearly), that it really does come down to what trim and style do you like the best (and they've done a great job differentiating so far), what dealer you like, etc.

There always is the risk of over population, but I think there's definitely enough of a market still not touched who will also fight tooth and nail to get a new Chevy version, that it will take a long while before they start dying out.

Need a minivan, but WON'T drive one? You buy a Lambda.

Want an SUV, but don't need BOF/V8, the extra cost, extra gas, etc.? You buy a Lambda.

Looking to move up from a premium (or not) car to something larger, that looks great, and drives like a killer sedan? You buy a Lambda.

And on, and on...

So, there may be a breaking point, but things are still so insanely good now, 4 well differentiated versions will do extremely well--just leave Pontiac out of it (they need to get on BMW-esque cars, and do it quickly), and let Cadillac do something unique, and all is well in the world.

• 3 weeks later...