Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

CONCEPT: BMW X6 & X6 Hybrid

CONCEPT: BMW X6
Information

BMW took the wraps off one the auto industry's worst-kept secrets when the BMW X6 "Concept" rolled onto the stage in Frankfurt today. The third member of the BMW X family, the X6 Concept introduces a new segment defined by BMW as the S.A.C. or "Sports Activity Coupe."

Following their German compatriots lead in redefining the term "Coupe," BMW's X6 is a four-door crossover that combines high-ground clearance with a graceful coupe profile. Similar in concept to the X5, it is a crossover built to drive like a sedan but the X6 concept is clearly less concerned with passenger room and cargo capacity and more focused on personal driving pleasure and aesthetics.

The same organic lines that give its athletically feminine profile limit any aspiration to be a daily people hauler. Rather, it is most likely be driven by consumers who have a high priority on style and status and very little concern for passenger capacity. Like all true coupes, the X6 Concept sets its priorities on the driver and acts like a mobile backpack - in this case one from Prada.

As the X5 before it, the focus for the X6 will be on the BMW driving experience. While its drivetrain was not discussed at the unveiling, it is safe to say that it will likely mirror the 5-Series sedan and come equipped with BMW's 360-hp 4.8-liter V-8 and a six-speed automatic.

BMW is also using the X6 Concept to debut their new chassis control system called Dynamic Performance Control. Working in harmony with xDrive all-wheel drive, Dynamic Performance Control provides control by varying distribution of power between the wheels for perfect stability, no matter the speed. Only time behind the wheel will tell if they were able to outmaneuver Acura's Super Handling system.

The X6 "Concept" is hardly that, as BMW has confirmed that the X6 will be available for purchase sometime in 2008 with very little changes from the concept shown. All X6s will be built in Spartanburg, S.C. alongside the X3 and X5 crossovers.

BMW used the launch of the X6 concept to introduce their version of hybrid technology. Dubbed ActiveHybrid, it is an integral part of their Efficient Dynamics campaign which aims continue their focus on driving dynamics while simultaneously lowering carbon dioxide emissions. They promise a 20-percent improvement in fuel mileage in both city and highway with no deterioration of the BMW driving experience.

This ActiveHybrid technology will be a result of their joint venture with DaimlerChrysler and GM and will feature technology unique to BMW. To be launched in the X6 sometime in 2009, the ActiveHybrid technology will filter down their vehicle lineup to appropriate models, according to Dr. Klaus Draeger, a member of the board of Management at BMW AG.

Image Gallery
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

X6 Active Hybrid Concept
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Congratulation BMW, you've managed to make an SUV with even less utility than the X3.

Oops... sorry, it's a Sports Activity Coupe.... with... uh... four doors.

eh hem... let me try this again.

Congratulations BMW, you've managed to make up an acronym, SAC, that is even more insipidly stupid than the GM's CSVs. Crossover Sport Van? yeah, that was dumb.... Sports Activity Coupe...with 4 doors? Dumber..... way.

Hey ladies.... wanna come check out my SAC?

This ridicule almost writes itself.

Answer to the question no one asked - "Could I please have an updated AMC Eagle?" But I'm sure it walks on water, Bangle is probably a virgin (hence the virgin-birth) and posers will fall all over themselves to buy one. "Look! I can carry two kids and half a stroller! But it has a propeller on the hood."

And if one more PR German asshole calls a 4-door a "coupe" here in the US, I'm taking hostages.

Here in the USA, a Saloon is a bar and a f@#king coupe is a TWO-DOOR.

It's essentially a jack-up 5-door hatchback on steroids. I don't think it's ugly, but it seems senseless and ridiculous. I can see some fashion conscious debutante riding around in it because it's the latest trendy accessory from BMW. I'm not so sure that it will appeal to anyone else who happens to have more sense than money. It almost seems like BMW is so bored cranking out 3, 5, and 7 Series sedans, that they have to invent silly new segments just to entertain themselves. Whether this type of vehicle with limited utility will really catch on in the marketplace will only be revealed by time and the auto buying public.

Answer to the question no one asked - "Could I please have an updated AMC Eagle?" But I'm sure it walks on water, Bangle is probably a virgin (hence the virgin-birth) and posers will fall all over themselves to buy one. "Look! I can carry two kids and half a stroller! But it has a propeller on the hood."

And if one more PR German asshole calls a 4-door a "coupe" here in the US, I'm taking hostages.

You beat me too it - the Eagle was the first thing I thought of. :lol:

But....

I kind of, sort of, like it.

I don't see much purpose in it, but it is somewhat attractive-looking. I really don't care for any of the crossovers ( not my thing) , but this one looks better than any of the others.

The "SAC" thing is beyond rediculous, it insults the intelligence of the average rock. :rolleyes:

Liebe BMW,

The 2008 Infiniti EX35

… The EX35’s sculpted elegance expresses a timeless appeal – sleek lines that portray speed, grace and finesse. Its layout combines the look and feel of a luxury coupe and an SUV’s flexibility. Its sporty proportions include a long hood, short front and rear overhangs, rearward cabin and smooth coupe-like roofline arching over the windows to the C-pillars.

“The EX35 is the perfect fusion of a luxury coupe and a high-utility SUV,” said Igo. “Its ‘right-sized’ packaging gives it excellent around town maneuverability, while the wide rear hatch and low load floor make it a versatile performer for everyday and weekend use.” …

This is like Mercedes claiming to introduce the first Dual-VVT V6, 6 months after Toyota and a year after GM. This is typical of a certain breed of German PR staffer who are oblivious to the world outside Germany.

This is typical of a certain breed of German PR staffer who are oblivious to the world outside Germany.

Certain breed? I don't think anyone in Germany cares to recognize that there is a world at all outside of Germany!

And, regarding the X6, I don't think so.

It's just a dramatically styled SUV cum Crossover that loses more utility than it gains in style.

Disgusting BMW.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :withstupid:

Of course, if GM marketing had come up with the '4dr coupe' moniker, you guys would be drooling all over it...

Right because we drooled over the concepts of "Crossover Sport Vans", a BOF/V8/RWD/Saab truck....

Funny thing is, Saturn did something far closer to a 4-door coupe with the SC and Ion. There was hardly any gushing at all.

So, no, we're not all Kool-aid drinkers or generic BMW haters.

Edited by Oldsmoboi