Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Where would you live...

trinacriabob

I'm doing a relocation investigation trip right now to ATL and Florida. I made it a point to spend 3 days in the Panhandle on the Gulf. It's pointless to think about living there in terms of career and sophistication, because it offers not much else than a stunning seashore. Now, if I didn't have to work....

In the U.S., I'd live somewhere on the water on the Gulf of Mexico near Pensacola FL

In Europe, I'd live in a small coastal village in Northern Portugal

What about other C&G-ers, if work and school and other obligations weren't a concern?

post-436-1189639013_thumb.jpg

Brazil. Jaoa Passoa. About an hour's drive north of Recife. Amazing beaches. Incredible weather. No hurricanes, tornadoes or other natural disasters. NO SNOW EVER. Perpetual 85 degrees year around. Very nice people. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Brazil. Jaoa Passoa. About an hour's drive north of Recife. Amazing beaches. Incredible weather. No hurricanes, tornadoes or other natural disasters. NO SNOW EVER. Perpetual 85 degrees year around. Very nice people. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

First question I ask whenever Brazil is mentioned -- what about crime rate statistics? Especially as you go north toward Recife and Natal? OUCH.

I don't have much desire to live outside the US (though I am intrigued by the possibility of Australia), so I'd probably go with one of these:

San Diego/Coronado

Corpus Christi

Phoenix

Las Vegas

I've been fortunate to live in some really beautiful areas, especially when I lived up in Canada. Where I am in Great Falls is beautiful, too. But if I could live anywhere it would be Alaska. Hey Camino, need a neighbor in Alaska?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some place without neighbors, an address that starts with R.D.1.

I have no idea what R.D.1 stands for, but it reminded me that we used to have an RFD mailbox, back in the early 90's. Talk about your rural settings. Thats what I figured R.D.1. stood for--seeing thats what type of place you've been pining for.

As for me, in the US I'd like to live on the coast of Maine.

As for globally: Tahiti, New Zealand, or the Western half of Australia.

Some place where I'd feel loved by someone. :P

I'd love to stay in Brookville if it weren't so rural with such narrow minded people. Otherwise, I think some decent sized community thats not too rural, not too city-like in southern CA, along the ocean.

Edited by blackviper8891

I like how you can stand pretty much anywhere on the north shore and get an awesome picture any time of day. Sun over the lake in the morning, shoreline at noon, sunset over the trees in the evening and the lights over the lake at night.

I just love the feel of the Great Lakes area, especially Superior. It reminds me of the fishing communities along the Massachusetts coast. I could definitely live there. Hard winters and all.

I have no idea what R.D.1 stands for, but it reminded me that we used to have an RFD mailbox, back in the early 90's. Talk about your rural settings. Thats what I figured R.D.1. stood for--seeing thats what type of place you've been pining for.

As for me, in the US I'd like to live on the coast of Maine.

As for globally: Tahiti, New Zealand, or the Western half of Australia.

R.D.1 = Rural delivery

The Coast of Maine is beautiful, the interior not so much.

Some place with a lot less people but not so far from a city that it takes 45 miutes to find a gorcery store.

I'm sick of living with a lot of people. especially in my area where most of them are rude, crude, assholes that care nothing for how where they live looks, how high the crime rate is, and how much it just sucks.

Also I'm tired of waking up at 2am to rap or spanish music <_<

First question I ask whenever Brazil is mentioned -- what about crime rate statistics? Especially as you go north toward Recife and Natal? OUCH.

1. EVERY major urban area in the world has neighborhoods you shouldn't go out at night in - even Toronto.

2. Smaller cities in Brazil, like Jaoa Passoa are populated by real, decent, hard working people.l

3. (And this is the most important point - and my own pet peeve: THE MEDIA LIES. Violence and killings sell papers, just

like bashing GM, so don't look like a tourist, hide the expensive camera and just have a good time.

I've been fortunate to live in some really beautiful areas, especially when I lived up in Canada. Where I am in Great Falls is beautiful, too. But if I could live anywhere it would be Alaska. Hey Camino, need a neighbor in Alaska?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, I've been to Great Falls. I drove through the northern U.S. in the summer of '93 (when the mid-West was getting flooded out!) and loved Montana. Beautiful vistas. It would be a great place to buy a cabin and write a book!

Before kids my wife and I considered Sweden and Alaska. Once the kids are out we have talked about moving to Colorado or Alaska. Lots of snow makes me happy.

+1. I love the snow. Alaska may be another place that I will consider.

Also I'm tired of waking up at 2am to rap or spanish music dry.gif

Yep, I used to get that a lot at my previous college housing... Nothing pisses me off more than &#036;h&#33;ty RAP music, the repetition, dumbass lyrics and ignorant lifestyle.

So.. I'd wait until that particular person had a party and was up late at night, then I'd get up BRIGHT and EARLY the next morning and rock out to death metal as loud as it would go. And trust me, some of the &#036;h&#33; I listen to and reap pleasure from sounds a lot like ritualistic killings of pigs and goats to the tune of blaring guitar solos and double bass "machine gun" drums.

3. (And this is the most important point - and my own pet peeve: THE MEDIA LIES. Violence and killings sell papers, just

like bashing GM, so don't look like a tourist, hide the expensive camera and just have a good time.

An interesting litle sociological fact for everyone: The average person who watches 'the news' on a daily basis OVER estimates crime rates in their immediate area by 2 to 3 times what it actually is. :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I had a similar question posed to me the other day by a co-worker who was asking what I was planning on doing after going to school. Its a tough one for me to answer. I like living in southwest MO, and I would really like moving back to Chicago. But, finally admitted that I would love to live in Savannah, GA. Its a beautiful city. Now if we're thinking worldwide, Morocco and Portugal seem appealing.

Maui in the winter, Chicago suburbs in the summer.

I need to be in the Chicago area to see that my grandson gets a proper upbringing in "How to love Cars". At 6 years old, he's mostly there, but needs about 5 years of car shows before he will be as crazy about cars as his grandpa.

After that, it will be Maui in the winter and Wisconsin or the UP of Michigan in the summer.

Edited by RichW5

Maui in the winter, Chicago suburbs in the summer.

I need to be in the Chicago area to see that my grandson gets a proper upbringing in "How to love Cars". At 6 years old, he's mostly there, but needs about 5 years of car shows before he will be as crazy about cars as his grandpa.

After that, it will be Maui in the winter and Wisconsin or the UP of Michigan in the summer.

Rich, way to go man. That's the kind of granddad I want to be when I become one. :gm_logo: