ALTIMA COUPE vs ACCORD COUPE 08

Accord Coupe.

I saw it in person at the Honda dealer on Wednesday. Better looking than in some of the pictures we have seen on the web.

No sheetmetal is shared between the coupe and the sedan back from A pillar.

They designed it as a different animal from the sedan. It is heavier than the $h!ima, but I think it will be a better driver.

Nissan's styling is (both exterior and interior) boring and senile.

Accord Coupe.

I saw it in person at the Honda dealer on Wednesday. Better looking than in some of the pictures we have seen on the web.

No sheetmetal is shared between the coupe and the sedan back from A pillar.

They designed it as a different animal from the sedan. It is heavier than the $h!ima, but I think it will be a better driver.

Nissan's styling is (both exterior and interior) boring and senile.

According to C&D, the Accord coupe doesn't share any body panels or glass with the sedan.

I haven't driven the Accord, but the Altima (four-cylinder, stick) was actually quite fun to drive. It did, however, get a bit squirrelly at speed in the corners. It was strange having the rear end slide out on a FWD car.

I found the Altima to be attractive in person, but the Accord may be better in that respect.

According to C&D, the Accord coupe doesn't share any body panels or glass with the sedan.

I haven't driven the Accord, but the Altima (four-cylinder, stick) was actually quite fun to drive. It did, however, get a bit squirrelly at speed in the corners. It was strange having the rear end slide out on a FWD car.

I found the Altima to be attractive in person, but the Accord may be better in that respect.

That was my own assessment. Thanks for clarifying it.

I've seen the Altima coupe in person a couple times now.

The side profile looks bland and reminds me of the last gen Accord coupe. The front end looks too bubbly and mainstream. The headlights work good on the sedan, but don't look nearly sporty enough for a coupe (I said this when I first saw the spy pics). The rear end looks good in pictures, but when I saw it in person, it just looked awkward. Overall I think the Accord coupe is a better looker, although I haven't seen one in person yet (only the sedan).

What is awkward about the Altima???

I'd say Altima all the way.

The headlights and grille on the new Accord coupe are just awful - they scream '90s styling. The greenhouse and back are not bad, but not as nice as the Altima either.

For me it's no contest. Then again it's no contest for me in almost every Honda - Nissan design comparison, I always like the Nissan better with the exception of the somewhat awkward Versa.

What is awkward about the Altima???

I'd say Altima all the way.

The headlights and grille on the new Accord coupe are just awful - they scream '90s styling. The greenhouse and back are not bad, but not as nice as the Altima either.

For me it's no contest. Then again it's no contest for me in almost every Honda - Nissan design comparison, I always like the Nissan better with the exception of the somewhat awkward Versa.

The whole rear part of the Altima is awkward, have you seen one in person? I like the Monte Carlo better for crying out loud (and that's saying something)!

I've only seen the Accord, but from pictures, the Accord coupe all the way. The Altima is like the G6. It's awkward.

I agree on both statements on the Accord and the Altima coupe, but I find the G6 to be much more attractive then the Nissan. In fact, it uses some definate 350z styling cues in the rear that give it a very sporty look. I'm surprise Nissan didn't go in a similar direction.

I think both are good looking vehicles, though I haven't seen the Accord coupe in person. The Altima coupe looks better in person than in photos. It would be a very difficult decision for me...probably based on price/monthly payment.

Calibra! Oh wait, thats not an option. :P Whats behind door number 3? :P

Seriously, I would take the Altima. I don't like the hiked up back end of the Accord Coupe. Looks like one of those monkey showing off its red ass during mating season.

I do not feel that the Altima resembles the Monte Carlo in any way, shape, or form.

The Monte has an unappealing droopy rear to my eyes.

However, overall of the Accord Coupe vs Altima Coupe, the Altima has things sewn up from the exterior viewpoint, but the Accord's interior buts the Altima to bed without supper.

I'm sure the Accord is more refined overall, plus it has the nifty double wishbone front suspension versus struts.

Not a huge fan of either's looks but to me the Altima is a bit too much wannabe G35 and well equipped gets pretty up there in price. The TV ads up here show one equipped at $40K Canadian, basically $39K USD.

I like the fact the Accord 6 cylinder takes regular unleaded and wil probably be more fuel efficient to boot, those VQ's can be thirsty.

• 4 weeks later...

If I went on exterior styling alone, I would choose the Altima. I do agree that the grille and headlight design should have been more distinct from its sedan counterpart, but I think the rest of the sheetmetal has a sportier appearance than the Accord coupe.

If I factor in refinement and wanted something more upscale, I would choose the Accord.

I think sportiness would probably win out if I was shopping for a coupe (the refinement and upscale aspects would factor in a little heavier if I was purchasing a sedan). I would probably lean towards the Altima.

P.S. If you really want to get something really odd in the midsize coupe segment, then head over to your Toyota dealership before the Solara coupe goes out of production. After all these years on the market, I still haven't become accustomed to this awkward vehicle.

• 3 months later...

Accord. It just comes off as a more refined, sporty, and entertaining piece. The sedan looks atrocious and huge, but the coupe has terrific lines combined with that "Honda drive and build". It's a higher tech, sleeker piece, to me.

3517791209.235208813.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

3517791210.235208813.IM1.02.565x421_A.56

3517791211.235208813.IM1.03.565x421_A.56

3517791215.235208813.IM1.07.565x421_A.56

Not that the Altima is a bad car, far from it. But it stays in second place because it's plainer or just not that interesting, and comes off too much G6 in too many ways. It's always been, even though not out long, Nissan's version of a G6 coupe. Not their intention, I know, but that's how it comes off in looks, general build, etc. Something about it just doesn't strike me enough.

4002782737.235789692.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

4002782740.235789692.IM1.04.565x421_A.56

4002782743.235789692.IM1.07.565x421_A.56

Edited by caddycruiser

I'm definitely not a Honda guy, but I do have to give credit where credit is due. The Accord coupe is a looker...

Yes, which only further blurs the line of "So, why does the sedan look like THAT..." questions. Then again, it's always been this way with the Accord, both the last gen (not a huge difference, but noticeable) and the gen before that, which was as different from the sedan as currently.

It really looks great in person to. Not that the Altima doesn't, but it just, like I said, seems plainer, more bulbous, and not as detailed.

Accord. It just comes off as a more refined, sporty, and entertaining piece. The sedan looks atrocious and huge, but the coupe has terrific lines combined with that "Honda drive and build". It's a higher tech, sleeker piece, to me.

And those pictures are from the 4 banger model. The V6 looks considerably nicer IMO. Much nicer rims, leather seats, chrome accents, dual exhaust, fog lights, etc.

Lots of V6 Coupe owner pics here.

And those pictures are from the 4 banger model. The V6 looks considerably nicer IMO. Much nicer rims, leather seats, chrome accents, dual exhaust, fog lights, etc.

Lots of V6 Coupe owner pics here.

Well, that was part of the point. Even in 4-cyl, LX-S form, the Accord looks great and actually has very nice wheels--I like the latter as much or more than the upper EX wheels.

If ONLY they could have more successfully translated the coupe's overall strong proportions and details to the sedan. Oh well, exactly like the last gen, look for a new sedan butt job at least by maybe 2010.

Edited by caddycruiser

Why oh why could they have not made the sedan's detailing as nice as the coupe's? The sedan has those nasty headlights and tail lights that bulge out from the body for no apparent reason. The coupe's are nice and flush, which proves there's is no need for them to be bug-eyed.

I love the black and tan interior...although I like the 4-spoke wheel much more.

I'm definitely not a Honda guy, but I do have to give credit where credit is due. The Accord coupe is a looker...

Reg says your opinion is wrong. :P

Maybe I need to look at one in person again. I did once and came away less impressed than I had with the sedan. I don't understand why, since in pictures the coupe is the runaway winner.

from certain angles the accord coupe looks ok, but when you look at the pure side profile, that is where it looks awkward, plus the grille is less than pleasing.

the G6 has a nice drama in the side character line that has great motion to it and pinches to a resolved point on the decklid which is neat.

there are a surprising amount of coupe choices these days. And the asian ones all seem to have similar 0-60's etc. eclipse, accord, altima.

for me, the altima loses out because of its non existent trunk. that said, i give a pass for the eclipse, even with similar flaws. It is just more unique than the altima. the accord is passable to me but not desirable, and its interior is rank. so of those 3, i'd probably get the eclipse simply because its unique look.

now the G6 to me loses out in the interior, so while i think its a looker, the interior might give me pause.

if the v6 camaro were a choice, this would all be moot. hell, once the duratec is in the mustang, than its no contest either really.

If I need a "coupe", I would NOT buy a family FWD sedan with two doors missing, I would buy a Camaro, Challenger or even Mustang.

If it's the "two door factor" I want, the VW Rabbit it is.

I (and might just be me and me growing up around European cars) see VERY LITTLE sense in a car that has only 2 doors and is not a hatch or performance car.

Some of the side sculpting on the Accord seems weird and unnecessary to me, but it's way sharper than the sedan and the Altima coupe, which looks like a G35/350Z design study that didn't make the final cut.

A Malibu coupe would do very well against both of these.

• 2 weeks later...

The Altima for sure, but from the rear 3/4 view it does have some odd angles. The Accord coupe in profile looks likes a cheap Bangelized BMW to me. Way to vannila for me.

EDIT: The Bangle comparisons was not completely accurate, I was thing of the Accord sedan and not the coupe. I have not seen an Accord coupe on the road, but I can not begin to like the grill because itn belongs on the Excrement or Pilot and not on a coupe. Overall I would still pick the Altima.

Edited by prinzSD

• 2 weeks later...
A few Accord coupes have popped up in my neighborhood. The more I see them the more awkward they appear. From the back, rear 3/4, and side... there's just something off.

The Altima coupe still reminds me of the recently departed Monte Carlo…

And I'm the complete opposite. In reality, the Accord coupe looks even more stunning...tight, trim, and rather aggressive. The Altima is well proportioned and pleasant, but just very bland and "too Altima" as a coupe, if that makes sense. Well that, and too much like the G6...but I somehow even like the overall G6 lines a bit more, from the crisp aspect.

Great different likes for different people though :AH-HA_wink:

Here, our Nissan and Honda dealership are one in the same, and after seeing them parked side by side, I like the Altima much better. I think the Accord just looks awkward as a coupe...and ugly as a sedan. Not a fan of Honda trying to rip off BMW styling whether it be the interior or exterior.

A few Accord coupes have popped up in my neighborhood. The more I see them the more awkward they appear. From the back, rear 3/4, and side... there's just something off.

The Altima coupe still reminds me of the recently departed Monte Carlo…

...IMHO it's actually much worse looking. In person the lines and proportions of the Nissan are all wrong.

Chris

• 3 months later...

My choice is the Altima Coupe.. The previous Accord has nicer quality materials inside. This new Altima feels more expensive inside.. I also think the exterior goes to the Altima as well. The Accord Coupe is nice - but the Altima is nicer. All simply my opinions...